Code of Conduct

Default so how good is..

Bulgari Black? has had high praise from fellow b'noters...is it a recommended blind buy or is it one of those that you will either love or hate

Default Re: so how good is..

To be honest, I really dislike it. I have tried it about 3 times and each time, my skin seemed to amplify the rubber note and it just turned me off. I am sure that it smells wonderful on some people, but for me it is a disapointment.

I neither love nor hate it. I think it is a really okay fragrance that is overall pleasant but nothing to get excited about. I get a lot of vanilla, a little tea, and a little rubber. Pretty tame.

Blog Entries

I'm addicted to it. It's my SOTD. Just imagine how rubber, smoke, & vanilla would smell together, & you basically get the idea of Bvlgari Black. I really wish I had discovered this sooner.
    "Wait...is David Bowie really God?" - Penelope Garcia

Quote Originally Posted by CologneJunkie
    I'm addicted to it. It's my SOTD. Just imagine how rubber, smoke, & vanilla would smell together, & you basically get the idea of Bvlgari Black. I really wish I had discovered this sooner.

You can't be more eloquent and accurate than that. I can't imagine finding anything I like more than this one.

I would not buy it blind. Well only if you want something very smoky, I think the reviews mentioning a burnt rubber smell are quite on spot. Some like that, of course, but others may find it very offputting.

It is sophisticated. I wear it at home only. It is too sublime for this cruel and harsh world outside... And, woe!, it doesn't last that long on me.

Just a note: Some time ago I happened to be in Rome. I visited the building - near the Castello St. Angelo - where the Bvlgari company has its main seat. I entered and asked, with tourist smile: "You cannot buy something here, can you?" Though being inside the hall just for approximately fourty seconds I swear the room was drenched with Bvlgari Black. They must have some candles of it.

I love it love it love it. One of my favorites and an absolute winter staple. BUT the first time i smelled it, i HAAAAAATED it. With an unbelievable passion. I thought it was shockingly bad. So. I guess don't buy it blind. And if you sample it and hate it with a blinding passion, try it again in a year.
    "It's not what you look like when you're doing what you're doing; it's what you're doing when you're doing what you look like you're doing."

Whoever described it as an F1 car peeling out in a vanilla patch pretty much nailed it. It's a very linear scent, but the rubber + vanilla (with some impressions of tea and smoke) still smells pretty unique, and is surprisingly inoffensive (i.e. you can get away with wearing it during the day), given a key note is *rubber*. I really like it, but couldn't see myself wearing it everyday. It'd be more of a general weekend or evening out at the goth club scent.

longevity and sillage suck.

dont waste ur money.

a masterpiece that made me smile the frist time i smelled it.

"...virgin rubber tires with a cloud of talcum powder blended with a luscious fur-coat structure..."
    Last edited by pluran; 17th October 2006 at 10:37 PM.

If you like vanilla then buy it...but the longevity is horrible and you will have to bring your wrist next to your nostrils to smell this one....i suggest you can get 'lolita lempicka au masculin' which has much stronger vanilla & much better longevity...LL can get be cloying for some people but if applied in moderation it can turn out well...

gupts

I think it is a generally pleasing fragrance. I really like it. I don't thinkg it is something people toss out because it bothers them so much. I am going to buy it eventually. I have to get up the courage to spend the money. It really it a good scent though.

I can see why people may love it - not something I would wear.

Oh and another thing. This one gets extrememly varied rewiews on longivity and sillage. On my skin, both are actually phenomenal. So once again, be sure to try it out first.
    "It's not what you look like when you're doing what you're doing; it's what you're doing when you're doing what you look like you're doing."

I like it a lot, but I noticed that I have a slight allergic reaction to it: it makes one of my eyes sting and water. Very weird! But it is quite extraordinary. FWIW Luca Turin regards it as one of the great male fragrances of the last twenty years.

Quote Originally Posted by pluran
    a masterpiece that made me smile the frist time i smelled it.
    "...virgin rubber tires with a cloud of talcum powder blended with a luscious fur-coat structure..."
    That's what sent me out determined to buy BB!
    But alas - my nose misses tires and fur, nothing I can do.
    'Il mondo dei profumi Ť un universo senza limiti: una fraganza puo rievocare sensazioni, luoghi, persone o ancora condurre in uno spazio di nuove dimensioni emozionali' L. V.

I love it, but can't recommend it unless you like tea notes (e.g., Yang, Tea for Two, Silver Mountain Water etc.). The tea notes are very pronounced.

Very nice scent for the money, although I have to admit that this IS one of those frags you either love or hate. I happen to love it, but each to his/her own.

I got a sample and tried it for several days and just found it uninspired. It really didn't do anything for me. My daughter, a highly opinionated 16 year old girl, told me that it was too floral for me. A lot of people really like it, Iím not one of them. Not that I hate it, more of a neutral attitude. Iíve yet to find the fragrance that EVERYONE likes. As with any blind buy, it is always a risk but then some of my favorites were blind buys. Ultimately if you can test before you buy, do that. Iíve got no problem getting samples of it so go that route if you can. If you canít find a sample, Iíve seen it very cheep on Ebay so if you can pick it up cheep, it may be worth a try.

I sampled it (Nordstrom's) and didn't care for it.

Then again, I've tried about four Bulgaris and didn't like any of them. Apparently I just don't like the house.