Code of Conduct

Default Patricia de Nicolai New York & Chanel PM

For people who have smelled both, how do these compare? I have the Chanel, and many reviews of New York make it sound very similiar. Are there enough differences to merit buying the two of them? Anything else I could reference NY against?

Also, what do you guys think of Roma Uomo?

ps. i'm asking because I might trade for a decant of it. I just want an idea of what i'm getting into.
    Last edited by LiveJazz; 18th October 2006 at 05:32 AM.
    "It's not what you look like when you're doing what you're doing; it's what you're doing when you're doing what you look like you're doing."

Default Re: Patricia de Nicolai New York & Chanel PM

To me, NY is basically reminiscent of all the old Guerlains, but for men. If you like Jicky, Mouchoir de Monsieur, etc., you'll probably like this one. Five star fragrance.
    Last edited by gimpy; 18th October 2006 at 05:23 AM.

I think I compared New York to PM in a review, but now that I have a bottle of Jicky I also think that's a better comparison. New York is sweeter than Chanel PM - it's more like PM Concentree. The Guerlain comparison is definitely more apt.

I don't think owning both NY and Chanel PM would be redundant if that's your concern.

Nuts, i haven't smelled Jicky, but I've read that it has a lot of civet in it, and some say it stinks. Is this true of NY (the civet i mean)?
    "It's not what you look like when you're doing what you're doing; it's what you're doing when you're doing what you look like you're doing."

I don't get the connection between those two. New York has often been compared here to Creed Bois du Portugal, as there are some similarities between the two.

New York is reminiscent of the classic Guerlains Mouchoir de Monsiuer, Mitsouko, Vol de Nuit, Jicky, etc, but doesn't smell exactly any of them. Patricia Nicolai (creator of New York) is the granddaughter of Pierre Guerlain, so it's not a stretch to understand why New York smells the way it does.

I don't think Jicky stinks. Far from it. It's one of the best things I've ever smelled. New York doesn't contain that sort of civet accord. According to Turin, Jicky was reformulated a few years ago with a less prominent civet. I believe that's true for the EDT. I love New York, but IMO it's no Jicky, Mitsouko, Vol de Nuit, etc.
    "You have to paint things black if you want to make future possibilities more vivid."
    - Michel Foucault

The entire universe is based upon your ability to conclude the new idea which is the summoning forth of the new life into the new space.

To me New York is surely reminescent of the early men´s Guerlains like Mochouir or Jicky but as Pluran mentioned it´s does not smell exactly as one of them. It´s a very well made recent interpretation of these masterpieces. While Mouchoir and Jicky (I own the EDP) have a prominet civet note New York has definitely not and for that it´s pretty "safe" for those who don´t get along with that note. I get the comparison with BdP but it is surely not that bold but fresher and more on the "green" side. Anyway I love it....
    Guerlain: Après L´ondée - Chanel: Cuir de Russie - Dior: Dior Homme - Divine: L´homme de coeur - Caron: Le 3me homme
    ---------------------------

"Tra il fiore colto e l’ altro donato / l’ inesprimibile nulla" Giuseppe Ungaretti

Even I, the hopeless comparison maker, feel these two are rather different. I'd opt for the New York easily, though it's a tad feminine smelling if that's a turn off to you.