Code of Conduct

Default le mystere de patchouli

I have tried a few patchouli scents and am really puzzled. why would someone want to smell all musty and moldy?

the fragrances make me think of cracking open some volume from the library of an HP Lovecraft character. if I had a book like this in my hands I'd be afraid to inhale and wouldn't be comfortable reading it.

what's the appeal? ? I can see it for goth sensibilities, or necrophiliacs. morticia adamms yes yes. . . but what do regular folk get out of it? it smells like death, disintegration and infestation. I guess the same could be said of cheese.

puzzled

sometimes I feel like I can get into it a little bit but... maybe with the right clothes
    Last edited by supermarky; 18th October 2006 at 11:55 PM.

Default Re: le mystere de patchouli

Have you tried Patchouli Patch by L'Artisan ?
    -

Quote Originally Posted by supermarky
    I have tried a few patchouli scents and am really puzzled. why would someone want to smell all musty and moldy?

sometimes I feel like I can get into it a little bit but... maybe with the right clothes
    It is a question of psychological profile. You do not respond to it.
    I have described it in order to unveil Patchouli's mystere at http://tinyurl.com/yaou2t
    Salaam Attar

Quote Originally Posted by supermarky
    The same reason people like Kouros, they like smelling like pee.

Sorry, I had to.

TNMA
    "Why not seize the pleasure at once?"
    -- Jane Austen (Sun, and Mercury in Sagittarius)

I found Brosius' description and story of patchouli interesting and enlightening, in terms of why we started to use this in the first place (http://www.cbihateperfume.com/CBpatchouliempire.html). I hope one of our history of fragrance experts here will comment on whether his story about the origins of the use of patchouli in the west are accurate.

Personally, I find it almost unwearable unless it's blended well into a scent. I can see some of the appeal deep into the drydown. Still, the first few hours are rough. That said, I think my skin amplifies it. I have put on frags with some patch in them, and on more than one occasion when my girlfriend walked in the door, she immediately said "this place smells like patchouli."

I think the only patchouli scent I like is Jo Malone's Pomegranate Noir...I think it has patchouli...

TNMA
    "Why not seize the pleasure at once?"
    -- Jane Austen (Sun, and Mercury in Sagittarius)

I love patchouli. So does my female companion (although she now wears mainly Peru Balsam). Patchouli is like the warm earth. I used to wear blends of patchouli, sandalwood, ylang ylang and many other variations. Those blends of essential oils tended to get peoples attention (in a positive way) more than most fragrances. The odor of patchouli is the most powerful of any essence derived from plants. The fragrance world would be lost without it. It imparts strength, character, allure and lasting quality. It is an aphrodisiac that is also grounding and balancing. It accentuates the masculine and reaches deep into the emotions. It's stimulating and persistent, yet voluptuous and suggestive like ancient eroticism.

I love everything about patchouli. I could eat the stuff. I love most of my fifty or so pure, high grade essential oils. They work wonders.

There are only 600,000 articles about the history of patchouli and its properties on the internet if you want to know more.
    Last edited by pluran; 19th October 2006 at 06:25 PM.
    "You have to paint things black if you want to make future possibilities more vivid."
    - Michel Foucault

The entire universe is based upon your ability to conclude the new idea which is the summoning forth of the new life into the new space.

I'm with Pluran on this one. Patchouli on me smells animalic, pheromonal, dark, smoky, earthy -- all in one. It's a superb base note, too -- it ties other fragrances together beautifully. Single note patchoulis (e.g., Patchouli Patch, Byblos' Patchouly etc.) garner me a helluva lot of compliments, too.

Wonderful post, Pluran, and like tvlampboy your post echoes nearly exactly my perceptions and thoughts on the matter! Just the other night I wore a perfect example of your description, Molinard's Patchouli, a single note representation from their Les Senteurs series (Thanks, Chris!).

Jeff

Another patchouli lover here. Like Supermarky says, it smells like decomposition. But it is WOODY decomposition, like a forest floor. And that is not the same as household mold or mildew.
    I like patchouli as a single note. Santa Maria Novella has a great one, rich, three-dimensional, and un-sweet. Among the sweet ones, Une Folie de Rose and Voleur de Rose are a good place to start.
    Chypre fragrances would be impossible without it, especially with the impending loss of natural oakmoss in many formulations.
    Anyone who doesn't like patchouli should try some of the ones recommended on these boards before becoming a Naysayer. I understand why some people hate it. Headshop patchouli reeks. Cheap patchouli is enough to ruin a person's opinion permanently--it truly is overpowering in a horrible way. (And this comes from someone who likes patchouli.)

Montale Patchouli Leaves has left an impression on me, and judging from that, Patchouli must be quite pleasant! Givenchy Gentleman, a top five from early on, also hints to patchouli = pleasant! Both colognes have 'depth' for me whereas I consider Aramis a 'dark' scent. How elementary is patchouli in the Montale? Unfortunately, I only once sniffed at the basic oil.

I heard 'history of fragrance expert' mentioned here - who may that be? I have a question concerning 'masculine' scents and can't wait to talk to an expert!
    'Il mondo dei profumi č un universo senza limiti: una fraganza puo rievocare sensazioni, luoghi, persone o ancora condurre in uno spazio di nuove dimensioni emozionali' L. V.

I think patchouli is one of those scents you either love or hate. Personally, I detest it.

Whenever I catch a whiff of it, I'm immediately transported to the University of MA campus, circa 1981. And that was just on a weekend visit.

Quote Originally Posted by narcus
    I heard 'history of fragrance expert' mentioned here - who may that be? I have a question concerning 'masculine' scents and can't wait to talk to an expert!
    Just for clarity, I was just referring to anyone here who might know a lot about the history of perfume, certainly not necessarily any one particular expert.

Also, to clarify my original quick post, I do like the effect patchouli has when it is blended into a scent. As others have commented, it adds an earthy, deep, warm, and powerful quality that dries down very nicely. In frags where it's the featured note, I don't have so much luck or liking.

Good patchouli is mellow, as if it's been aged in a barrel. I always find it to have a somewhat alcohol-like quality. The cheap stuff is bitter, sharp, and extremely unpleasant and I wouldn't go near it.

It's like comparing rotgut to Balvenie, for lack of a better analogy.

One thing I do not like is patchouli that has been blended with nag champa. This combination is insufferable to me.

And a product that people enjoy that I do not is Kiss Your Face patchouli shower gel.

DSH Perfumes has some great little sample vials of various patchoulis for around $2.75 each. I prefer these to the "attar" type you can get elsewhere.

I also don't like it featured but can tolerate it well blended as a small component into the base. Places I like it are tabarome milisime, heritage, the montale ouds. Places I don't are many, notably L'Artisan Voleur des Roses, where it totally dominates to my nose.
    "Don’t try to be original. Be simple. Be good technically, and if there is something in you, it will come out. ” - Henri Matisse.

"Wear R de Capucci" - Hirch Duckfinder

reviews

This certainly doesn't apply to all who genuinely dislike patchouli but my aromatherapist friends tell me that an aversion to the pure essential oil of patchouli often indicates a fear of intimacy.
    Last edited by pluran; 19th October 2006 at 09:02 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by pluran
    This certainly doesn't apply to all who genuinely dislike patchouli but my aromatherapist friends tell me that an aversion to the pure essential oil of patchouli often indicates a fear of intimacy.
    lmao!

Could be. Patchouli isnt one of those 'kool aid' scents that everyone is going to like.

If I remember right, patchouli is one of those essential oils which improves with age (I'm sure there is a point where it does start going bad).

I'd doubt that it would age well when in alcohol, but I'm not a chemist.
    MisterK / Vicomte de K / K
    Ephemeral Top 5: YSL PH HC, Worth PH, Equipage, Monsieur Rochas HC, Acqua di Gio

Quote Originally Posted by pluran
    LOL!

But what if that same person loves Kouros ?
    -