Code of Conduct

Default How do you apply your cologne when you've got multiple layers of clothing?

Let's say I have a t-shirt, then a button up over that, and then my coat. How do I apply my cologne effectively?

Should I spray it on my body and then on the outer layer of clothing?

Or let's say I have a t-shirt and then a hoodie, how do I apply it?

Thanks a lot, fellow BNers!

Default Re: How do you apply your cologne when you've got multiple layers of clothing?

It's easier to apply before you dress -- a spray to your chest, each wrist and/or inside elbow, with maybe one spray to your shirt after you put it on. You want to get most of the juice on your skin rather than on your clothes.

Default Re: How do you apply your cologne when you've got multiple layers of clothing?

Do the multiple layers of clothing not drown the smell? That's my main fear >_<

Not really, maybe a little. I think most people apply more sprays in colder weather to accommodate, but usually just to different areas. I don't spray my clothing, and I have fragrance free detergent, so there shouldn't be any conflicting smells. Also, it seems that fragrances are 'heat activated' in the sense that, if your body is warm it should put out the scent nicely.

I see, so I should buy some scent free detergent too. . .

Thanks a lot guys!

haha, I don't think the detergent matters that much, I just noticed it last time I was doing laundry that it said fragrance free. But even if you have a TON of clothing on, it shouldn't mess with your fragrance because even the lightest cologne should override the smell of your clothes. Normally in the winter, I don't have a problem with the layers of clothing; I tend to underapply rather than overapply, but in the winter I use about 2 sprays, sometimes 3. In the summer, usually 2 as well for a long day, but lately I've been using 1! You should be fine either way; I don't think you have to change your application strategy too much for how many layers you are wearing.

Is there a chance I am overapplying without noticing? I tend to use 5 sprays or so; and there are times when I can't smeel the fragrance any more after a while >_<

Maybe my nose is playing tricks on me.

Quote Originally Posted by Minty S
    It's easier to apply before you dress -- a spray to your chest, each wrist and/or inside elbow, with maybe one spray to your shirt after you put it on. You want to get most of the juice on your skin rather than on your clothes.
    With heavier layers your sillage will be impared. It will be supressed by the clothing. If you have a sweatshirt and jacket on you might need another spray. Pay attention to the weather though. If you even need to strip a layer or two after you sprayed a little extra then people will not be happy with you.

I never change my spray based on heavy dressing. I usually get hot and take off my outter layer. It's all up to you. I guarentee people still smell you even from under the sweatshirt.

I never spray on my clothes, only on my skin.
    "Wovon man nicht lesen kann, darüber muss man schreiben."

I live in Alaska where layered clothing is a fact of life. The best way I've found to keep my clothing from muffling or randomly muting my scent is to apply it where it will be minimally affected by the addition or removal of layers. I find a spritz to the nape of my neck and behind each knee works great. Your mileage may vary.

What about layering scents while layering clothes?
    A different scent for each layer from your skin to outer layers will make you a smelling cocoon...