Code of Conduct

Default MY Biggest Disappointment: Mandragore by Annick Goutal

Would have to be Mandragore by Annick Goutal. Have a brand new 3.4 oz. bottle from Saks, still in box -- and it's utterly unwearable in my book. It makes me smell like a giant lemon or some other citrus mutation monster.

I know a lot of people love it, but I'd far rather have something I could actually wear. Pity, too, as the SA had really hyped this one, and I know a lot of folks on Basenotes like it.

Only other Annick Goutal fragrance I couldn't wear was/is Sables.

Default Re: MY Biggest Disappointment: Mandragore by Annick Goutal

Just wondering: did you try it, like it at first, or did you just believe the SA hype and buy blindly?

I thought it boring, while I like Sables, on the other hand, though I can see where that one might be difficult to wear.
    My Wardrobe
    II est de forts parfums pour qui toute matière/Est poreuse. On dirait qu'ils pénètrent le verre.

I quite liked it, but then I've only sampled on my arm once from a tester in Liberty.
    My Current Top 5: Terre d'Hermès | Terre de Bois by Miller Harris | Isfarkand by Ormonde Jayne | Brit for Men by Burberry | Grapefruit by Jo Malone

Wardrobe / Reviews

I liked it, but found it lacking in constitution (as always, one cannot sample the higher concentrations in shop). Sables was horrendous on me. The immortelle note isn't one I can tolerate (smells burnt), although the person I gave mine to raced through it happily.

Quote Originally Posted by Paisley
    I liked it, but found it lacking in constitution (as always, one cannot sample the higher concentrations in shop). Sables was horrendous on me. The immortelle note isn't one I can tolerate (smells burnt), although the person I gave mine to raced through it happily.
    Just goes to show that there is no such thing as a universally liked or disliked fragrance. I’ve no problem doing a blind buy or a buy with very limited testing but only if I’m getting a deal. I've always found that pruchasing decants for extended testing can save a lot of money in the long run.

You need to layer it with something sweet, like vanilla lotion and then the layered scents are really yummy when they reveal themselves as you move around. I must say I have never smelled anything as different as Mandragore-I must give the designer credit for such an original scent even if you have to "work" on it to get it to smell better on you. Sweet something is the trick to making it wearable.

I like SAbles very much - especially sexy on my husband. But Mandragore - toilet cleaner - horrible!

When I tried it, I didn't think the scent lived up to the imagery that the word "Mandragore" conjured up in my mind.
    Renato

I've never been a big fan of this house. Most of their frags have either an unpleasantly odd or 'old-fashioned' note that simply ruins it for me.

Thumbs up Re: MY Biggest Disappointment: Mandragore by Annick Goutal

Quote Originally Posted by tvlampboy View Post
    Would have to be Mandragore by Annick Goutal. Have a brand new 3.4 oz. bottle from Saks, still in box -- and it's utterly unwearable in my book. It makes me smell like a giant lemon or some other citrus mutation monster.

I know a lot of people love it, but I'd far rather have something I could actually wear. Pity, too, as the SA had really hyped this one, and I know a lot of folks on Basenotes like it.

Only other Annick Goutal fragrance I couldn't wear was/is Sables.
    WHAT ???? On me all of them are MARVELOUS and long lasting !!!! I dare to say that Annicg Goutal perfumes are Masterpieces....

A great fan of Mandragore here. The lemon does seem to squirt past all the other notes at first but settles down on me as if into a cup of hot tea. A comforting yet mysterious scent. I imagine a character in Marguerite Duras' book " The Lover" smelling like this, perhaps the lover himself.

Off-Scenter

Many Annick Goutal scents go unpleasantly harsh and bitter when I try to wear them. Mandragore doesn't do even that much on me - it goes on as a murky, non-descript citrus, and then just disappears. Go figure...

Quote Originally Posted by Renato View Post
    When I tried it, I didn't think the scent lived up to the imagery that the word "Mandragore" conjured up in my mind.
    Renato
    Totally agreed... I was really disappointed for this reason. And if they're going to paint the bottle purple and gold, let it smell rich and mysterious not light and fleeting.

Basenotes Institution

Quote Originally Posted by Trebor View Post
    I've never been a big fan of this house. Most of their frags have either an unpleasantly odd or 'old-fashioned' note that simply ruins it for me.
    Ditto. I have tried to find a Goutal scent I love, but I simply cannot. I have stopped trying.
    "One day I will find the right words, and they will be simple"

-- Jack Kerouac

I'm just wondering how this thread of mine from a year ago caught someone's attention.

Peggy: "Right now, we have to get to the mental institution. Something terrible has happened."
    Latrelle: "What?"
    Peggy: "Brother Boy has tried to kill himself. He jumped out of his bedroom window."
    Latrelle: "Isn't he only on the second floor?"
    Peggy: "Yes, but he hit his head on a lawn gnome."
    Fr. Sordid Lives: The Series
    "Live, live, live! Life is a banquet, and most poor suckers are starving to death."
    Auntie Mame
    [/B]