Code of Conduct
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Help! Choice between Terre d'Hermes and Scent Intense

I need to make a choice and decide which one of the two to get. I haven't tested the Hermes but see that the guys here generally enjoy the fragrance. Would it complement my wardrobe or be something I could do without?

I've tried both Costume National's Scent and Scent Intense, and enjoy the latter even though I was told it's very "in your face" (which I like!). It's kind of hard to come by in South Africa, and the cost of the one I can get is VERY reasonable, when compared to the cost on US and UK sites.

Any comments will be appreciated. Thanks!

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Help! Choice between Terre d'Hermes and Scent Intense

Seems to me they're quite different from each other. Intense is an aggressive, dark, difficult scent which non-scent freaks might find strange on a man, while Terre d'Hermes is a rather comfortable affair, some might even say uninspired. I personally found it quite nice, but not sufficiently interesting to buy.
    My Wardrobe
    II est de forts parfums pour qui toute matière/Est poreuse. On dirait qu'ils pénètrent le verre.

Post Thanks / Like

They are both excellent but relatively polar opposites. I think you're getting ready for warm weather there so I would recommend Terre d'Hermes. Scent Intense works best in cooler temperatures. Terre d'Hermes on the other hand needs warmer temperatures to bring out its best qualities. I rarely wear it in the cooler temps. Terre d'Hermes can be applied liberally and often. I went through a quarter bottle rapidly in the warm weather. Rarely had I been so satisfied by a fragrance. I have yet to meet a person who doesn't absolutely love it. As the temperatures drop however, it can lose a bit of its expression and take on a slightly thinner, more metallic nature (that is just what I perceive, not necessarily what those around me think). Still good, just not as compelling as it is in the heat.
    Last edited by pluran; 19th October 2006 at 07:28 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Terre d'Hermès is a must-have in my opinion. It's simply perfect!
    My Current Top 5: Terre d'Hermès | Terre de Bois by Miller Harris | Isfarkand by Ormonde Jayne | Brit for Men by Burberry | Grapefruit by Jo Malone

Wardrobe / Reviews

Post Thanks / Like

Theyre very different scents, and both have alot of fans. Personally, there's some note in Terre that I find absolutely repulsive that comes out after the topnotes fade... along with the earth notes there's this cumin/spice/overripe tomato note that comes out on my skin that actually turns my stomach. Most people seem to love it though. If you've never tried it i'd highly, highly advise getting a tester or decant if possible first.

I really, realllly like Scent Intense. It's definitely a nighttime scent, and does better in cooler weather, but there's something about the extra notes that make it the most attractive amber scent i've smelled... ever... basically.

You've already given yourself two very good reasons for going with Scent Intense - 1) You've tried it, where as you haven't TdH; 2) you say it's hard to come by in South Africa, which means you won't be wearing the same thing as everything else, and that's always good.

I really like both scents, I wear Scent Intense and have no hesitation in saying it's my favourite of all time thus far. Not only have I never received a bad comment about it, I always receive great comments - really, really great comments (some non-verbal!). It's also quite hard to get here, so unique, which is a big plus. My local climate is sub-tropical, so no probs with warm weather, but only - ONLY! - use at night. I agree with nvrlnd - best amber (as in most wearable). The jasmine really makes it glow. If I try to visualise Scent Intense I get this image of glowing embers. And though I understand some may regard it as a touch feminine, I've had no problems there (and in fact you'll see a lot of female reviewers say it's too masculine for a woman). I think in fact it's truly androgynous.

TdH on the other hand, while I really like it, I don't think I'll buy it: it's apparently the scent this otherwise exclusive designer has decided to take to the mass markets, because I'm seeing (and smelling) it quite a lot. Still, a great scent to be sure, and will do well in summer. It does have a strong metallic ring to it, but that's exactly what I love about it.

I love them both, but if pressed to choose just one, I'd pick TDH

Post Thanks / Like

Get Terre d'Hermes

Post Thanks / Like

Post Thanks / Like

I have to take issue with the idea that SI is a cool weather only fragrance. True, it's dense and rich enough to cut with a tanto but isn't that a major part of the appeal? I wear it year 'round without hesitation, just a little less of it in the heat of the season. Good is good, whenever, wherever so I reccomend this one without hesitation.

http://www.costumenational.com/
    Last edited by noirwest; 19th October 2006 at 11:20 PM.

I honestly cannot understand these comments on Scent Intense. I`m completely confused.

People say it is heavy, people say it is weird, they say it is dark and brooding night-time scent...and they say it is heavy on amber.

I disagree with all these aspects.

1) Not heavy at all - wears very close to skin. Soft and gentle. More airy than thick.
    2) I don`t think there is anything "weird" in this scent. It is unique in a way, but not twisted in a slightest bit.
    3) It is not a dark scent. The color of this scent is purple with glowing pink accords. It is smooth scent that I like to wear mostly in daytime.
    4) Amber? Alot?? Really??!! I don`t think so. More like sandalwood with musk, jasmin/hibiscus, and dried plums with red berries. Really, wtf is that prominent amber note which everyone keeps talking about?

It`s a great scent btw. I haven`t tried Terre d`Hermes.

Quote Originally Posted by PigeonMurderer
    I honestly cannot understand these comments on Scent Intense. I`m completely confused.

People say it is heavy, people say it is weird, they say it is dark and brooding night-time scent...and they say it is heavy on amber.

I disagree with all these aspects.

1) Not heavy at all - wears very close to skin. Soft and gentle. More airy than thick.
    2) I don`t think there is anything "weird" in this scent. It is unique in a way, but not twisted in a slightest bit.
    3) It is not a dark scent. The color of this scent is purple with glowing pink accords. It is smooth scent that I like to wear mostly in daytime.
    4) Amber? Alot?? Really??!! I don`t think so. More like sandalwood with musk, jasmin/hibiscus, and dried plums with red berries. Really, wtf is that prominent amber note which everyone keeps talking about?

It`s a great scent btw. I haven`t tried Terre d`Hermes.
    I agree with all of the above. Scent Intense is one of my favorites, especially in Fall/Winter/Spring.
    It is by far the more interesting of the two here, though I think TdH is much more challenging in some ways with its sharp, metalic notes.
    That being said, if I was choosing a scent to wear to work daily, I might go with TdH over Scent Intense, for the reasons Pluran listed. Its just a more office friendly daytime scent, while SI is more a nightime/romantic scent.

Terre d'Hermes is nice. Scent Intense is an underrated gem.

-Slim

Scent Intense
    "Why not seize the pleasure at once?"
    -- Jane Austen (Sun, and Mercury in Sagittarius)

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks to you all for helping me make a decision...I've decided to be more daring and venture into the realm of Costume National. (I got even more discount on the purchase after mentioning I discussed it on Basenotes!)

TdH is definitely on the horizon though...

Scent Intense, hands down.

I love the aridness and simplicity of Terre d'Hermes, but I have longevity issues with this one. Also, you just can't beat the opulent richness of a French unisex masterpiece such as Scent Intense.

I DO agree with pluran (and thus disagree somewhat with noirwest on the same subject) that Scent Intense IS more of a cold weather scent, but only somewhat more so. (I mean, Terre d'Hermes doesn't exactly shout "summer" itself.) Whatever the clime, though, I'd shoot for the Scent Intense first.

Post Thanks / Like

Terre d'Hermes lasts a strong 10-12 hours on me. While it may not be a warm weather scent exclusively, I rarely wear it in cooler temperatures for the reasons I mentioned in my original post. I find that it reveals its most voluptuous expression in warm temperatures. I was in the Mexican desert for ten days this summer and it's the only fragrance I wore. I usually wouldn't even wear a fragrance in those conditions but I thought I'd try it as it seemed like the right environment. It developed an extremely rugged nature out there and I couldn't get enough of it. Its name couldn't have been more accurate. The unique and ever changing characteristics of the scent were fascinating. That's due largely in part to the lack of musk which often creates a sort of mask on the skin. For me it's a rather sublime fragrance that has only gotten better with time. One that rarely fails to satisfy (in the warmer temps).

I would add that when I read the majority of reviews on Terre d'Hermes I often can't even discern that they are describing the same scent I perceive when I wear it. It is intended to blend with a person's skin, smell unique according those variables, and from the reviews it is evident that that is the case. I have seen it described in many ways but the construction is so impeccable that no one feature is dominant, and if it is, it doesn't stay that way for long.

Terre d'Hermes is one that loves sweat. I think that's when it reveals its best features. That makes sense as it was also intended to smell like bodies after lovemaking.

Along with Eau d'Hermes it's my favorite from this house.

As for Scent Intense, perceptions are based strongly on frame of reference, but I would describe it as mysterious, avante-garde, dark, sensual, vital, silent, alluring and even dangerous. I would also describe it as extremely comfortable with big fluffy pillows in a beautiful room with lots of great food, two exotic hookers and the world in your hands. I can relate with PigeonMurderer's description as well, yet I find it to have a great deal of amber. The amber is rendered a bit more subtle within the overall accord but its presence is intense. It's deceptive. The amber's charisma is there in abundance yet it also seems to generate its power from behind the scenes. It's very Plutonian in that way. The words I used to describe the scent are also very Plutonian.
    Last edited by pluran; 22nd October 2006 at 01:19 AM.