Code of Conduct

Thread: Men's Citrus?

Default Men's Citrus?

In a search to discover what exactly it is that makes me love the scent of certain men's fragrances, I think I've noticed a "Citrus family" pattern (that's what the categories say anyways). However, I'm not quite sure I know exactly what men's citrus is. Can anyone give me some good citrus fragrance examples?

nearfantastica

Default Re: Men's Citrus?

Some nice fragrances with prominent citrus .... in my opinion...

Happy by Clinique
    L'eau Par Kenzo
    Rykiel Homme
    John Varvatos
    Ck Escape PH
    Unforgivable (or Creed MI - better more expensive blend)
    Malle's Bigarade Concentree
    Terre D'Hermes

there are tons of others..but these ones come to mind

a.

Hermes Concentree d'Orange Verte (green orange)
    M7 Fresh (grapefruit)
    Guerlain Vetiver (bright citrus opening)

Some rather 'pure' citrus-based fragrances:

• Eau Sauvage (regular and Extrême) - Christian Dior
    • Citrico - Comme des Garçons
    • Geo F. Trumpers - Extract of West Indian Limes

But these will make you smell like you ARE a lemon

Neroli Sauvage
    Dolce & Gabanna

Two nice ones.

Citrus is a key component in classic perfumes, where it's combined with various mid and basenotes as well as traditional colognes, where it dominates.

Aqua di Roma is a very nice, straightforward grapefruit scent which lasts quite a while.

Monsiuer Balmain is pure unadulterated powerful lemon (at a much better price than Citrus Bigarade). The latter, just as Eau Sauvage and a few others also tends to develop a fecal note on my and a few other people's skin, so I obviously avoid these.

Roger et Gallet Cologne Jean Marie Farina Extra Vieille is a classic old fashioned cologne with strong neroli (orange blossom) notes, as is the even better Berdoues Extra Vieille (probably impossible to get in the US)

D'Orsay's Etiquette Bleue is a cologne-style EdT with one of the best neroli notes of all, with some added mid and basenotes, but still very fresh and light.

Going back to Italy, there's Aqua di Parma (very expensive) and a whole lot of other Aqua di's that hark back to traditional cologne compositions with strong citrus components.

You might also try Creed's Neroli Sauvage and Orange Spice, as well as the very nice but totally overpriced Zeste Mandarine Pampelmousse, which, like so many citruses, fades rapidly.

One of the most impressive English style citrus frags is Crown Imperial - brilliant lemon, then very powdery, barbershop style. You'll find many lemon plus woods combinations among the English classics .

Also very British are lime scents by Crown, Trumper, Penhaligon's (like this alot) and all the other traditional brands.

Finally, if you're into organic agriculture, Florame in SAINT RÉMY DE PROVENCE, France makes scents, including a neroli and citrus EdT from organically grown plants, exquisite stuff at a very low price (20 Euros / 100ml you can order online).

You will discover a great number of other stuff out there. Let us know about it when you do and enjoy the world of wonderful smells.
    My Wardrobe
    II est de forts parfums pour qui toute matière/Est poreuse. On dirait qu'ils pénètrent le verre.

Acqua di Parma (actually a "unisex" scent)

A lot of great suggestions so far. I agree with quite a few, including Happy by Clinique, Acqua di Parma Colonia, Guerlain Vetiver and L'Eau Par Kenzo.

I will add in a fave of mine: Lanvin L'Homme. Has a great citrus top section and is blended very well. Worth a try.

Another I like a lot and I feel is a great interpretation of the classic "Eau de Cologne" model is Armani Eau Pour Homme. The bottle has a sloped-shoulder design and a ribbed black and gold cap. Excellent stuff....try it!!

And then again, if you want NOTHING but lemon and are on a budget, try the Mickey Mouse scent. No kidding. This frag is all citrus all the time. I love it on a hot steamy day when not doing anything important. It's just pleasant.

Good Luck!!

Here are my favorites:
    YSL Pour Homme/YSL PH Haute Concentrate - Lemon Verbena top notes, great duration; nice dirty drydown (esp on the HC)
    Acqua di Parma - Colonia ... personally I prefer it to the Assoluta. Lemons & rose.
    Eau Sauvage - Lemons (pretty subtle, perhaps too subtle IMHO) followed by basil & flowers. Eau Sauvage Extreme can be good but it can also be cloying... be careful and light on the trigger with the extreme version.
    Kouros Fraicheur... not really fresh. Has grapefruit up top.

There are a lot of other good ones out there (Caswell Massey No. 6, Armani Eau Pour Homme, Live Jazz ... the list can go on & on.)
    [FONT=Book Antiqua]MisterK / Vicomte de K / K[/FONT]
    [FONT=Book Antiqua]Ephemeral Top 5: YSL PH HC, Worth PH, Equipage, Monsieur Rochas HC, Acqua di Gio[/FONT]

Blog Entries

Clinique Happy is a PERFECT example, as are Thierry Mugler Cologne & Banana Republic M. They're all really easy to sniff out.
    "Wait...is David Bowie really God?" - Penelope Garcia

Eau Sauvage

Citrus fragance for men, here's a few: Acqua Di Colonia, Blenheim Bouquet, Citron Citron by Miller Harris, Citrus Bagarrade by Creed, Eau De Guerlain, Miditerrraneo by Carthusia, Monsiuer de Givenchy by Givenchy and Signoricci by Nina Ricci.
    "A great perfume is a work of art, it can lift our days, haunt our nights and create the milestones of our memories. Fragrance is liquid emotion. And that never goes out of fashion. " MICHAEL EDWARDS

Tova for Men
    Eau de Rochas
    Armani Eau Pour Homme

Just Me for Men by Paris Hilton

I'm not sure I agree with some of the previous replies - just having a citrus component doesn't make it a citrus scent. To my mind a scent has to be primarily citrus, or have a predominantly citrus component for a fair length of time to be classed as citrusy. Thus I wouldn't class Lanvin L'Homme, Gurelain's Vetiver, Dolce &Gabbana, Rykeil Homme or Blenheim's Bouquet as citruses.

In my mind I tend to class citruses in the following manner,

Short Lasting
    Eau sauvage, YSL Homme, Benetton Cold, L'Eau Par Kenzo, Aqua de Selva, L'eau D'Orange Verte, Miller Harris Tangerine Verte

Longer Lasting
    Eau De Rochas, Biotherm Aquafitness, Terre D'Hermes, Clarins Eau Dynamissante

Same lasting power as standard scents
    Dolce & Gabbana Masculine, Happy, Rochas Lui, Caron L'Anarchiste, Aqua di Portofino, Benetton Sport, Zipped Sport

Citrus Woody scents
    Cerutti 1881, Azzaro Chrome, Versace Green Jeans, Live Jazz

Of course, staying power varies among individuals, and we've had numerous discussions here about the staying power of scents like Eau Sauvage, some claiming it lasts all day on them. Before buying it is definitely worth checking out citrus lasting power by spraying some on your wrist, and seeing if it's still there with some strength three hours later.
    Renato

One more: Moschino Friends.

Eau Sauvage, great great scent. Unfortunately short winded.
    I still wear it in the summer though.