Code of Conduct

Default Chanel vs. Dior masculine lineup

Pour Monsieur (1955) vs. Eau Sauvage (1966)
    Antaeus (1981) vs. Fahrenheit (1988)
    Allure Homme (1998) vs. Dune pour Homme (1997)
    Allure Homme Sport (2004) vs. Higher (2001)
    Égoïste (1990) vs. Dior Homme (2005)

Your thoughts?

Edit: The gist of the thread as I'd conceived it was to suggest these pairs of fragrances from different eras might be in some way comparable---although please disagree!---and to pit all them against each other, tête à tête. (I didn't make it clear initially that I didn't intend to provoke a discussion about which is the best house of all.)
    Last edited by d4; 20th October 2006 at 08:25 PM.

Default Re: Chanel vs. Dior masculine lines

Hmmmmmmm.

Chanel. I don't like Fahrenheit or Higher. Never smelled Dune. I don't think Dior Homme and Eau Sauvage can pull Dior ahead by themselves.

What about the 3 new Diors? They might help Dior a but...buuuuuuuut you still can't beat masterpieces like Antaeus, Egoiste, and to a lesser extent, Allure and Pour Monsieur.

Personally, I'd put Chanel ahead of YSL and Caron too.
    "It's not what you look like when you're doing what you're doing; it's what you're doing when you're doing what you look like you're doing."

Quote Originally Posted by LiveJazz

Personally, I'd put Chanel ahead of YSL and Caron too.
    When it comes to mens fragrances, Chanel has some of the poorest offerings around. From the *yawn* platinum to the *meh* Allure, it really cant compete with the houses that gave you amazing fragrances like Kouros, M7, 3rd Man, pour Un homme, Yatagan, Jazz, Rive Gauche and L'Anarchiste.
    -

Quote Originally Posted by zztopp
    When it comes to mens fragrances, Chanel has some of the poorest offerings around. From the *yawn* platinum to the *meh* Allure, it really cant compete with the houses that gave you amazing fragrances like Kouros, M7, 3rd Man, pour Un homme, Yatagan, Jazz, Rive Gauche and L'Anarchiste.
    I guess I forgot about Platinum Egoiste I don't want to believe that Chanel made that crap. Ok ok, maybe Caron is better. But whenever I wear Antaeus, I become infatuated with Chanel YSL has never really spoken to me, so Chanel still beats 'em in my book.
    "It's not what you look like when you're doing what you're doing; it's what you're doing when you're doing what you look like you're doing."

Chanel

Pour Monsieur
    Antaeus
    Egoiste

they are masterpieces of the art of perfumery
    "PLAIN LIVING, HIGH THINKING" O.W., De Profundis
    Real beauty: 1) Frederic Malle 1-20 2) Chanel Egoiste 3) YSL Opium pour Homme edp 4) TF Noir de Noir

Noses: 1) Jacques Cavallier 2) Maurice Roucel

Quote Originally Posted by LiveJazz
    I guess I forgot about Platinum Egoiste I don't want to believe that Chanel made that crap.
    I feel similarly about Platinum Égoïste, especially since I like Égoïste so much. Anyway I couldn't think of a comparable Dior fragrance. (Thankfully?)

Default Re: Chanel vs. Dior masculine lineup

If we're going straight by the matchups:

-Pour Monsieur and Eau Sauvage tie.
    -Antaeus beats Fahrenheit by a longshot.
    -Allure beats Dune even though they aren't really the same type of frag.
    -Allure Sport beats Higher, but they're both lacking.
    -I'll actually go with Dior Homme over Egoiste.

So, Chanel comes out ahead.

Would the 3 Dior Homme fragrances be valid in the match-ups?

I'm still on and off about Fahrenheit, and have pretty much the same feeling toward Antaeus.

Ahhh, I love Dior Homme AND Égoïste, I don't know which to choose. Dior Homme is supposed to be my signature, but I love Égoïste as well. This is probably the biggest 'battle,' father Polge vs. son Polge, I believe.

Quote Originally Posted by d4
    Pour Monsieur (1955) vs. Eau Sauvage (1966)
    Antaeus (1981) vs. Fahrenheit (1988)
    Allure Homme (1998) vs. Dune pour Homme (1997)
    Allure Homme Sport (2004) vs. Higher (2001)
    Égoïste (1990) vs. Dior Homme (2005)

Your thoughts?
    Dior Jules For me by far the best from these two houses.

Quote Originally Posted by Sandy
    Dior Jules For me by far the best from these two houses.
    Jules is a great one and you rarely even see it mentioned. Luca Turin once classified mens scents in three categories. The first category was things that just smell great. He listed Jules, Pour Monsieur, Jicky and New York.

Pour Monsieur v Eau Sauvage - Both excellent. Eau Sauvage being more of a classic according to originality and other variables.

Antaeus v Fahrenheit - Fahrenheit is more of a classic according the usual procedures for making that distinction. I prefer the actual smell of Antaeus but Fahrenheit is always extremely compelling.

Egoiste v Dior Homme - Neither one necessarily classic but both outstanding.

I just read an article about Jean-Paul Guerlain in which mentioned several fragrances he considered classics. They were: Arpege (under its original 1927 formulation), Fahrenheit and Eau Sauvage, No.5 and L'Air du Temps. Guerlain said a classic perfume is determined by the quality of raw ingredients you put in it and its elegance, distinction and originality. Above all it has to be memorable.
    Last edited by pluran; 20th October 2006 at 09:49 PM.
    "...The history of perfumery before this subdivision of niche was manufactured, both literally and imaginatively, is a long one, with thousands upon thousands of fragrances. The true fragrance lover takes each fragrance one at a time, and examines it preferably outside of the imaginatively manufactured categories and, in doing so, builds up a steady, informed basis for seasoned comparative judgments based on the sampling and information gathered from such sampling. This is why any one on the board who ever has anything particular interesting to say about fragrances as fragrances rather than as categorical constructs always has an abiding interest and passion for all kinds of fragrances and not just a narrow niche of fragrances. Conversely, the "niche whores," the more and more narrow their interests become, the more and more they mimic the ad copy of the very companies they worship. I know whose posts I like to read..."

“Perfume is decidedly not about two things: it isn’t about memory and it isn’t about sex. Perfume is about beauty and intellect,” .......... “A perfume is a message in a bottle—not a smell—and the message is written by the perfumer and read by the person who smells it.”

Book recommendations:

Perfumes: The A-Z Guide
    The Emperor of Scent
    The Perfect Scent
    Scent and Chemistry

Feeding the Monster: IFRA and the EU Parliament
    www.firstnerve.com/2013/06/feeding-monster-ifra-and-eu-parliament.html

-http://www.firstnerve.com/2013/06/feeding-monster-ifra-and-eu-parliament.html

Quote Originally Posted by DreamerII
    Chanel

Pour Monsieur
    Antaeus
    Egoiste

they are masterpieces of the art of perfumery
    Couldn't agree more! These are three greats. All three are in my top ten. Sublime. Eau Sauvage is in my top ten too, but Chanel on the whole craps all over Dior.

ged
    Top 10 (not in order): Dunhill 1934, Dunhill Edition, Terre d'Hermes, Rive Gauche, Habit Rouge, Guerlain Vetiver, Knize Ten, Bois du Portugal, Vintage Tabarome, Green Irish Tweed

Summer Rotation: GIT, Aventus, Erolfa, Vetiver 1948, Guerlain Vetiver, Malle VE, Terre d'Hermes, Bvlgari PH, Bvlgari Acqua, Habit Rouge EDC and Sport, ADP Colonia Assoluta, Chanel PMC, Dunhill Edition, Eau Sauvage, TF Azure Lime

That Antaeus vs Fahrenheit is a cracker!!! I have it as all square.