Code of Conduct
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Default Re: "The blind-buy game"; anyone else who can`t stop playing it?

I just posted a new thread on this in the Male Fragrance main thread; should have known that this is a popular topic. Well, at least I'm in good company. I would say my luck lately in blind buys has been pretty bad. I purchased them on rave -- AND I'M TALKIN' RAVE (LOL) -- reviews here on Basenotes and elsewhere:

Zino Davidoff
    Trussardi Uomo
    Tuscany per Uomo
    Jaipur homme

Traded all but Trussardi, which i just got........April 11!

No more blind buys for me.....unless of course the bottle's cool!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Duncan View Post
    No more blind buys for me.....unless of course the bottle's cool!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Thanks, Duncan! That´s a good excuse for blind buys, me thinks...

Thanks for your replies everybody!
    Everything passes. Everything changes. Just do what you think you should do.
    --Bob Dylan

Unhappy Re: "The blind-buy game"; anyone else who can`t stop playing it?

And since we can no longer buy decants here or on e-bay, but we read about fragrances with rave reviews---what to do? Does luscious cargo or scented monkey still offer samples or has The Big Six ( in Luca Turin's words ) shut down that venue as well?

I live in LA ( well, I reside in LA, whether I'd call it living is something else) but I can't imagine it would be very productive to go to any high end mall, and ask for a test sniff of Zino, let alone Idole de Lubin or Ungaro 1

There's Tijuana West (Santee Alley in downtown on Saturdays --a packed madhouse ) and after a long aerobic exercise of walking one may be able to find Ungaro 3 NIB, but test it ? I doubt it.

Oh, well. Perhaps I should consult the I Ching as to what full bottles to order?
    And to think I suggested to Musse that buying frags because the bottles were blue was not very rational. My apologies.

In the encouraging words of The Emperor Nero
    (sometime before The Senate had declared him a public enemy)

" Only misers count what they spend. "

* sigh *

To love me is to smell me,

Mario.
    Last edited by Mario Justiniani; 15th April 2007 at 08:35 PM.
    My Wardrobe

Reviews: http://www.basenotes.net/reviews/30

Absinthe makes the heart grow fonder.

My Antaeus can beat up your Armani.

Blog Entries

I believe you can stop the madness with a carefully controlled program of 'samples only'.They are readily available on Ebay. The last time I checked they still were selling decants, too. I pm'ed one of them. She said they haven't made any official announcement yet, and it might be that samples will still be allowed. They are all planning on going out on their own anyway. Personally I don't know how they are going to police it.

Anyway, Aedes, Hampton Court, Lucious Cargo, et.al,are easy to deal with. I have so many baggies I have sorted into houses now, it's like a library of scent. I don't see how I could ever run out at this point, or ever use it all up. I think we should all figure how many of our inventory were blind and of those, what % were bad choices. That should be enough to point us in the right direction. We all want all of our wardrobe to be keepers and devote all $ to top rate scents we love. Why settle for anything less? (I'm just giving myself a pep-talk here, don't mind me).
    Currently wearing: Noir de Noir by Tom Ford

I also seem to enter the blind zone whenever i go out testing/buying frags, like somehow my brain goes into a hunting mode and i am out to get whatever i haven't got, and sometimes i regret it but most of the time i don't because if i do i will have to think of a way for it to make it worth in some way or another and not feel like my trip was a total waste of time, then i like to think in terms of "what knowledge has this experience given me?" be it good or bad, it's always interesting.
    I don't buy or trade online, but in real life it happens all the time that i remember someone's review, or that i remember that x frag has great notes or that y frag is their latest offering and the ...everything is possible.

cheers
    Last edited by castorpollux; 17th April 2007 at 02:04 AM.

Options paralysis I think they call it. So many choices can make your mind go numb so sometimes we just do a blind-buy simply because we feel unable to make an intelligent decision in face of a million tester strips.
    I myself am in the process of going cold-turkey on blind-purchase (Ebay). I see it as an addictive/ compulsive behaviour and dispite the humourous comments we all make to soften the reality of the situation, I can't personaly allow myself to be driven by my compulsions anymore.

supercat84

Hi there ... i agree with you totally............i have purchased 75% of my collection blindly..............so far i have not been dissapointed.........but this is getting addictive and costly........

Quote Originally Posted by deeperthought View Post
    Options paralysis I think they call it. So many choices can make your mind go numb so sometimes we just do a blind-buy simply because we feel unable to make an intelligent decision in face of a million tester strips.
    I myself am in the process of going cold-turkey on blind-purchase (Ebay). I see it as an addictive/ compulsive behaviour and dispite the humourous comments we all make to soften the reality of the situation, I can't personaly allow myself to be driven by my compulsions anymore.
    I totally agree, it's the same thing for me.

When you find steals its just so hard to not blind buy

I'm getting to the point where I might have to get my husband to change my ebay password and not tell me what the new one is.
    Either that or I'll have to take up knitting or watching tv, rather than prowling the internet reading sbout delicious things to smell that then spark the 'oooh - want, want!' reaction that sends me off to search ebay for things like Carons, Malles and Lutens when I know they won't be there and I'll just drive myself potty buying things that I don't really want that much.
    The trouble is, there's a bottle of Narcisse Noir on my shelf that I scored for twenty quid. It's hits like that which keep me coming back for more, like a sad, sad junky.

I MADE myself stop playing it after the Ebay Lolita Lempicka L and Bvlgari Femme incident. Disastrous. Luckily the Bvlgari found a home with a friend who it smells amazing on. I'm still looking to place the L.

Oh dear. I think I may have reached that 'rock bottom' thing. Ysatis Iris on ebay. Sillage monster.
    How can I inflict it on a friend?
    Maybe it will just have to stand there and accuse me. And remind me not to do it again.

It's odd but my Internet blind buys have all been successful. I've discovered Asja, Theorema Uomo, Claire Nilang, and several others by reading notes/reviews on Perfume Emporium and Basenotes. Even the minis have been good. I can't think of any failures. HOWEVER...whenever I visit the States I go ga-ga for the ridiculously low prices at TJ Maxx. Out comes the credit card, and I end up with things I'm not at all wild about (they don't have testers). I don't know what happens but it's only when I'm on vacation and I see prices in dollars, not euros. I worked it out, though. When I go to the Maxx I carry a small amount of cash only, no cards. Once I'm home, thinking about it, I usually don't bother to return to buy. We all have our blind spots and triggers!

Quote Originally Posted by Wordbird View Post
    Oh dear. I think I may have reached that 'rock bottom' thing. Ysatis Iris on ebay. Sillage monster.
    How can I inflict it on a friend?
    Maybe it will just have to stand there and accuse me. And remind me not to do it again.
    Is it that bad? I have that on my to-get list Blind to-get list I mean...