Code of Conduct
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: LesNez Samples

Default LesNez Samples

Yesterday the LesNez samples that we could claim for some time ago arrived.
    The generous 4 ml samples are large enough to try out the fragrances several times. Of course I couldn't wait and tried all the three yesterday evening, and here comes my very first impression.
    Lion seems to be the most interesting one, a warm woody oriental that starts a bit sweet, soft and mellow, later gains substance and gets sharper during the drydown.
    Antimatiere begins cozy, light and relaxed. In the heart it gets spicier and has an inky, graphite-like smell in the heart that I personally don't like, but this whiff disappears soon. In the drydown the sharp edges of the heartnotes vanish and the fragrance gets calmer again.
    Unicorn is maybe the most exceptional of the trio, but the only one I don't like so far. It starts with a sour, campherous note that turns to a cold, frosty accord. Like standing on a rainy day at the coast, the air is cold, almost frosty, and you get whiffs of a salty sea breeze.
    As I said before, that's just a first impression and I'll have to give them a more extensive try. But without doubt, the fragrances seem to me very well constructed.

What are your impressions?

Default Re: LesNez Samples

Mine have arrived but I haven't had a chance to test them out yet.

Thank you for posting your fist impressions.

Got mine too . Not tested yet though, I'll post when I do!
    "Don’t try to be original. Be simple. Be good technically, and if there is something in you, it will come out. ” - Henri Matisse.

"Wear R de Capucci" - Hirch Duckfinder

reviews

Mine also arrived. Unfortunately the lids where not tight so a little leakage in the plastic bags. Very interesting mix of smells from them all.
    DONNA

Mine haven't arrived yet !

Quote Originally Posted by eric
    Mine haven't either

Patience is a virtue

Im also waiting in anticipation.

Well I tried a small amount of Unicorn last night. First impressions (liable to change):

As it went on it was immediately clear that this is a highly crafted perfume. Quality of ingredients and construction instantly separate it from the mainstream, and maybe even the "niche mainstream". Initially I got a blast of dry autumn leaves which quickly turned green. Very shortly after this, the violet came in strong but subtle bringing back memories of parma violet sweets from childhood. To me it stayed like this with a mixture of dry leaves, green leaves and violet, perisiting well and with reasonable silage. I can get the "frost" accord if I immagine it, but it didn't jump at me. Instead, the overall effect could be described as "cool".

I would say that this is not unisex but asexual. It is very charming and evocative of rural scenes in an almost childlike, naive way and of absolutely excellent quality. looking forward to trying the others....

Duck.
    "Don’t try to be original. Be simple. Be good technically, and if there is something in you, it will come out. ” - Henri Matisse.

reviews

I haven't received mine either, but I'll tell you right now that I'm probably not going to be into something named "Unicorn"! lol
    Lately I've been wearing:
    Windsor, Bois de Santal, Original Santal, Elixir, Douro, Endymion, Reflection, Arcus, Marwah

Just got back from a trip to Wales an lo, my samples have arrived!

The quantities are very generous, so many thanks to EauxM for those.

I'm going to try them out over the next three days in order to form an 'all-day' opinion; however, from the little sniffs I had, Let Me Play The Lion was totally irresistable, and so I'm sniffing away at my wrist every ten seconds with that one. It kinds of meets the criteria of the 'one' which I've never been able to find i.e. fruity spicey without an overbearing 'white floral' feel to it. It's getting drier in taste as it dries down yet retaining the fruitiness, and it's absolutely lovely.

Kudos to LesNez; I'll definitely be in the market for some Lion scent! Rrrowr!

edit - it gets better, there's definitely a tea note coming through now.. this stuff is fantastique!
    Last edited by Biffo_the_Bear; 22nd October 2006 at 05:41 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by perfectfeet
    I haven't received mine either, but I'll tell you right now that I'm probably not going to be into something named "Unicorn"! lol
    Oh dear! Why not? You will be missing all the fun of being chased by virgins

Just got in my samples today. Very decent PR from LesNez.

The Unicorn Spell
    Quite some violet in here as the description says. It reminds me a LOT of Annick Goutal La Violette (a soliflore violet). Very sweet but with a green edge. Maybe not all that original but most certainly a playful, appealing scent for (most likely) women of every age, as long as you feel vibrant.

Let Me Play the Lion
    A beautiful, warm and woody scent. Kind of familiar to Gucci PH and maybe even more to Divine L'Homme Sage. I don't find it very groundbreaking but perhaps it needs some time to clear out all its notes. Nevertheless this is one of those fragrances that will never let you down in winter, very elegant and subtle.

L'Antimatiere
    I suppose this is the most extravagant of the three, yet it doesn't really speak its voice on me. It's there but I can't smell it very well for some reason. Very light and slightly funky, I think there's some anise in here too. This one definitely needs a full wearing to understand its qualities.

Have more of you tried these yet?
    "Perfume is the dream that carries me."

There is always the sky to look at

Here are my quick reviews of the Samples. I can't tell how these scents hold up against other niche products, as that is a field I rarely enter.

L'Antimatiere: Hm. I think my skin is not right for this. Even after 90 minutes there's just a faint smell there. Hard to make out anything.

The Unicorn Spell: for some reason, this reminded me of Davidoffs Good Life for Men, but where the Davidoff is a well-kept, pristine Garden, The Unicorn Spell is more of a jungle, equally green, but with some bizarre exotic plants in it. Maybe that's the violet, but it reminds me of exotic fruits.

Let Me Play the Lion: Quite reminiscent of Gucci ph's frankincense madness, but with some licorice added, and much less sharpness/churchiness. That's a good thing for me, because I find the Gucci unwearable. This one's my favourite of the three.

Still haven't received mine. Too bad...

Personally, I wasn't too impressed with these samples (considering their niche status, even more so). However, my favourite was The Unicorn Spell (which I'll probably continue testing for a while). As for the other two, they were hardly detectable on my skin.

Also, I'm finding this house a tad overly pretentious, with their use of poetry to describe underwhelming fragrances. After reading the explanation for L'Antimatiere, one is left intrigued. However, after smelling it, all that comes to mind isn't the lovely imagery, created by the description, but...

...Gendarme.

Got mine today and will test one tonight
    My Wardrobe
    II est de forts parfums pour qui toute matière/Est poreuse. On dirait qu'ils pénètrent le verre.

Ok, I'm wearing the lion one now. First impressions:-

I would say this is a fine construction made from quality materials. It is a superbly balanced scent. I would also say that if you subscribe to the vetiver=elephant house school (which I do not), you should probably avoid this too.

This puts me in mind of images of sparsly inhabited land, windswept and and harbouring fierce creaures, perhaps wild west or africa. I get a slight sweetness underlaying it, and an organic dusty smell which threatens bigger things, animalic or thunderstorm perhaps. It is definitely woody and to my mind quite sexy, even rude.

It opens up and develops well. The sillage is pretty good and duration too.

I think I am getting a house note, something in common between this and the unicorn one (I havent tried the other one yet) but I cant pin it down.

I find the notes tricky to get in this one, but I think I like it.

EDIT- NO!!! This has taken a turn I really don't like - to the extent that I just had a shower and drowned myself in Acqua di Parma to get over it.
    Last edited by hirch_duckfinder; 27th October 2006 at 04:10 PM.

reviews

Unhappy Re: LesNez Samples

We didn't go out after all, so I had the chance to try all three, just on the wrists and hands. My first impression:

Lion:
    Sweet, a little hairspray-like, woody, hint of cedar and sandalwood (Iso-E-Super?), reminds me of Tumulte in style, i.e. it smells consciously synthetic rather than natural which is not mine.

Unicorn:
    There’s a clear correlation to Lion, that “hairspray” thing. Iso-E-Super again? A bit handcreamy, floral. I agree with hirch that this shows a “house style,” which, unfortunately, is not my cup of tea.

Antimatiere: smells like grappa on pouring it (this one is not a spray), afterwards it’s virtually not there. A faint tea-like note, otherwise nada, nichts, rien. Whose going to fork out hard cash for a bottle of virtually odorless alcohol? Or can I pay for this in bubble money (Spongebob joke) ?

All of these scents are lightweight, but I do not find them elegant or sophisticated, but simply thin and too synthetic - or simply absent.

I will give these several tries of course, and I'll say that it took me some time to come to appreciate Andy Tauer's perfumes. But I'm quite skeptical about these.
    My Wardrobe
    II est de forts parfums pour qui toute matière/Est poreuse. On dirait qu'ils pénètrent le verre.

Where are my samples?? They told me they will send me those, but I haven`t got them.

Strange, because I`ve been missing some other mail lately, too. WTF is going on?? Finnish post has lost their way, I guess.

Quote Originally Posted by PigeonMurderer
    Where are my samples?? They told me they will send me those, but I haven`t got them.

Strange, because I`ve been missing some other mail lately, too. WTF is going on?? Finnish post has lost their way, I guess.
    Me, too!!! Leaving places just to check my mail, but no sign of both these samples and another package with decants.
    I know it's not something wrong with package sendings, as I have an iPod that should be here (but isn't - because of other issues. Stupid TNT-service), and I also recieved an ad-letter from Molinard today...
    Damn...Nothing else is worse than this happening

arrived today. I can say that I am very impressed with these fragrances

Lion: my favorite. Lasts all day on my skin.
    Unicorn: smells fantastic. Also get good longevity out of this one
    Antimatiere: smells like my body odour. Seriously, I have no idea why but on initial application it does!

Very generous offerings from LesNez, at 4ml a sample =)
    Overall very intrigued by this house now, and satisfied with the samples as well!

I received mine a week ago, and have been wearing them continuously. My favourite is L'Antimatiere, and have ordered a bottle. I love the fact that it has no real topnotes, and on me it blooms into this smell that I can't really describe. I find it really contemporary. It also lingers all day on me, but creating more of an aura as opposed to trailing clouds of scent.

I like the other two as well, and would wear the Lion. Funny, I had been wearing them all week, mostly L'Antimatiere. Yesterday I decided to use up a decant of PdN's New York (a great fragrance). After I sprayed it, it seemed really strong and overpowering. My SO also commented on how strong it seemed, compared to what I had been wearing.

Received my samples yesterday and have tried them:
    1) Unicorn Spell- my favorite- I don't go for many florals but this is a wild and unpredictable one- the violet is enmeshed in green mountain herbs, it's a very cool scent, the best violet I've tried, and quite possibly bottle-worthy. Though it is not all that similar to SL Gris Clair, the effect is the same, wandering around in mysterious and cool mountains at the cusp of winter.
    2) Lion- I found this similar to 10 Corso Como, but much more wearable for me. Very strong woods, a little spice, something warm in there. Really liked it but it did not last very long on me, which, actually, is my problem with 10 Corso Como!
    3) The third scent was completely scentless to me!! Interesting that others have had that experience, but for some, it's lovely. Ah well.

Overall quite impressed.

Still haven't received mine. Too bad...
    Still no sign of your samples? I received mine on Thursday and we both live in the Netherlands! Should not make such a difference.

Received mine at thursday...yep I'm 100% positive that they are great fragrances.... unfortunately FINLANDS postal service crashed my samples. Received them in pieces. ...

First off, thanks to EauxM for the generous samples, i received mine some days ago and have tried them on the skin a couple of times.

Unicorn spell:
    For me this is the best of the bunch. This one has many olfactory facets to it, it strikes me as rather complex. The sharp green notes make it feel very fresh, maybe even cold. The violet notes complement the greenness, a very interesting molecule that even smells like roses or berries when you get real close to the skin. Yet the scent does not actually evoke feelings of being outside, it is more like an abstract painting, which is not a bad thing. Lasting power is quite good.

Let me play the lion:
    Starts out with a blast of cedar wood with a fair amount of sweet notes in the background. After a while sandalwood is taking the center stage. Quite pleasant but it seems to fade soon without too much further progression.

L'Antimatiere:
    "Oh brother, where art thou?" Those where my thoughts after i had applied some of it. L'Antimatiere is a whisper on my skin that is very hard to detect. After the initial fresh accord all that seems to remain is a faint slightly sweet, slightly animalic smell. Interesting but too much of nothingness for me.

So far none of them has me all excited, but they are interesting and a little offbeat. I'll wear the samples and my impressions might well change.

Smile Re: LesNez Samples

Thank you very much to EauxM for the samples. They arrived this morning and I have been getting to know them all day.
    The Unicorn Spell is the most evocative for me: I love what seems like a glacial burst of chilled air against crisp green leaves in the opening of this fragrance. Then I'm sure I can smell tomato, perhaps the leaf, in this mix as well as celery and/or fennel. Lastly cool violets come forward with the merest hint of warmth. Body heat warms the scent up a little more but it still retains its own coolness. I think it would be stunning to wear outdoors on a crisp winters day when the sun makes the snow sparkle.
    Let Me Play The Lion I think has an intense warmth which makes me think of chilli peppers and incense. Strange but only my impression. This one would be better on my husband than myself.
    L'Antimatiere wears closest to my skin and seems 'intimate' as only someone who was really physically close to the wearer would be aware of it I think. This fragrance is very subtle but does remind me of the smell of writing ink (the kind you used to get in a pot and use a nib pen with), artists cartridge paper and chalk pastels.
    I wonder if all three scents contain a green note, there is an 'earthiness' to them which I haven't a clue how to describe. The Unicorn Spell is my favourite. My husband, who is more direct than me, liked it too - he said it smelled like parma violets.

I only asked for Unicorn, and it's not here yet. Boy, I'm dying to get it now, after these reviews!

Quote Originally Posted by MemoryServes
    Received mine at thursday...yep I'm 100% positive that they are great fragrances.... unfortunately FINLANDS postal service crashed my samples. Received them in pieces. ...
    Oh boy...I can sympathize with you my friend, as I have worked for the Post Office for quite a while. We don't treat every piece with such disdain as you've described, but the percentage is far too high for my idea of good customer service. My sincere apologies to one and all whose samples have not arrived in good shape.
    P.S. - Mine haven't arrived either, LOL!!

Let`s keep this thread alive until everyone gets their share...

I guess I`m not the only one who hasn`t yet received the samples(??)

Quote Originally Posted by PigeonMurderer
    Let`s keep this thread alive until everyone gets their share...

I guess I`m not the only one who hasn`t yet received the samples(??)
    Nope! Something must have gone wrong here. I've given up waiting for them. Maybe it's not meant to be. It's better for my creditcard also.

PigeonM, I haven't received them yet either Somewhat comforting to know that I'm not the only one in Finland who hasn't got them.

Maybe there's still hope that one day the actually arrive... and are intact. Poor MemoryServes.

November 1, 2006 The Lion 'will roar':

I do not know whether advertisements look the same in all regions where basenoters are. For the first time, I see LesNez on top of our forum. There are different versions of it, and I love the one with the old book in the background (name of the story, or play ?).

Welcome, René Schifferle as our Sponsor!
    May Les Parfums d'Auteurs prosper and grow! As you may have noticed, most of us are niche freaks. As a whole, we are also compulsive communicators. Inevitably the news of LezNez' creations will spread quickly. With a playful lion and the legendary unicorn on my wrists I may be permitted to wish your fabulous perfumes all the success they deserve!

edited / found the book: Shakespeares 'lion' - cool!
    Last edited by narcus; 3rd November 2006 at 11:30 AM.
    'Il mondo dei profumi è un universo senza limiti: una fraganza puo rievocare sensazioni, luoghi, persone o ancora condurre in uno spazio di nuove dimensioni emozionali' L. V.

I received my generous samples yesterday. Totally made my day. I really like The Unicorn Spell. To me it smells like violets and clary sage. It reminds me a bit of Grey Flannel, but sweeter in the heart. I think this might be my favourite green violet to date.

L'Antimatiére is strange. Smells very vaguely of moth repellent for 30 minutes or so, then it gets a bit stronger. I have no idea what the notes are. It smells a bit salty. Or like ink. It stays very close to the skin, but it lasts very well. I'm not sure I like it, but it's interesting.

Stil haven't investigated Let Me Play The Lion. It's very woody. Like a wooden shed near the sea.

Hi

I went to the website but couldn't figure out how much the samples cost. Does anybody know? Thanks!

Received my very generous samples last week and I want to say a BIG thank you to Les Nez for them.

Overall, they didn't do much for me... they definitely seem like 'niche' kind of scents, and didn't strike me as anything new or exciting, much less anything I would buy.

Unicorn: Very, very floral and strong upon first application, somewhat too cloying for me, but also good lasting power. It also came off as a feminine scent to my nose. The drydown was much more pleasant, wearable and masculine but it takes a while for it to get to this stage.

Antimatter: My least favorite. All I could smell for the first 10 minutes was alcohol and nothing else. But a scent does develop and it is, as others have noted, very subtle. Definitely something you would wear for your own enjoyment. I will be blunt here and say it reminded me of 'old man cologne' - it's not a youthful scent.

Lion: Instantly I thought barnyard, hay, animals and manure - but it was also the most interesting and appealing scent for me! If I had to wear any of them this would be it, but I don't think I personally could pull it off. I think it is a very confident smell and like Unicorn, quite complex.

My $0.02

Quote Originally Posted by Hyde65
    Hi
    I went to the website but couldn't figure out how much the samples cost. Does anybody know? Thanks!
    lesnez.com:->$ ->shop ->samples:
    $13.94 for the set of three
    Last edited by narcus; 2nd November 2006 at 04:01 AM.
    'Il mondo dei profumi è un universo senza limiti: una fraganza puo rievocare sensazioni, luoghi, persone o ancora condurre in uno spazio di nuove dimensioni emozionali' L. V.

I'm still waiting for mine to arrive... what could have gone wrong?

Quote Originally Posted by cedriceccentric
    They did publish a list of incomplete adresses which they had. Were you one of those? I can't remember where I saw it, try their site. Did you sign up for the mailing list? I think they sent it through on that.

reviews

I have recieved mine too: big thanks to Lez Nez, EauxM and anyone involved, for a very generous samples and a great opportunity!
    The Unicorn spell caught my attention first, and so far I am liking it. It seems successful in avoiding to be overly sweet and cloying, as violet scents can be; this one is more misty and airy, although the floral notes increase strenght in the development.

The other two scents I haven't given so much chance yet. L'Antimatière is the one hardest to define. On application it struck me as a perfume version of an electronic aparatus that ha collected some dust (!?), but after a while I also got something like white pepper notes. I agree that it gets stronger after some time, the notes show up one after one, and it is like a cologne that comes sneaking in. Quite fascinating.

I realise this is silly, but I do have a little problem with the names,and especailly "The Unicorn spell", the one I scent-wise like best. The names toghether for me invoke the image of one of those 20 piece fantasy pocket book series. Then again, I much prefer short names.
    Last edited by vinterdroppe; 2nd November 2006 at 10:55 AM.

Finally recieved them today...

LMPTL was the most interesting one: spicy woods..there was something very familiar with it, and after some time I found out it was Fou d'Absinthe. Btw, this one was only 1/5 full as the atomizer had a leak.

Unicorn started very green. Like a vast grass-field (think Ichnvsa by Profumum). Then it turned very flowery and fruity...a little too feminine for me.

L'Antimatiere started out with nothing else than alcohol. Then completely innocent musk..the lightest of them all...(if you try breathing warm breath on it, you'll get a completely different scent. Nearly gourmandy)

Mine arrived today. There was a lot of leakage for L'Antimatiere. As I was cleaning up, I gave it a wearing. Unusual indeed, I think it is going to take me awhile to interpret this. I'm looking forward to Unicorn and Lion as well.

glad to see that some of them are still arriving. Gives me hope that I'll be seeing them in my mailbox soon.

Quote Originally Posted by tmp00
    glad to see that some of them are still arriving. Gives me hope that I'll be seeing them in my mailbox soon.
    Same here. I've had my fingers crossed for quite a while now

-ben
    Nihil Obstat Ben

[url=http://www.basenotes.net/wardrobe/1883]My Wardrobe[/url]

Quote Originally Posted by greyhueofdoubt
    Same here. I've had my fingers crossed for quite a while now

-ben
    Me three!

The anticipation is killing me!

Quote Originally Posted by hirch_duckfinder
    They did publish a list of incomplete adresses which they had. Were you one of those? I can't remember where I saw it, try their site.
    Here's the list in this thread here:

http://community.basenotes.net/showt...ghlight=lesnez

Well, I'm happy to say that I need to retract my harsh dismissal which was based on my first impressions. I really owe "the noses" an apoplogy. I tried all three last night and was evidently in better olfacory shape:

Antimatière does remain virtually silent to me. All I get is this extremely faint smoky note - a bit like tea or the trace left by a single cigarette, immediately extinguished on entering the room, after six or more hours.

I find both Lion and Unicorn to be high-pitched fragrances. Lots of treble little bass. Lion has those cedary notes ,as well as something tobacco-like and anise - someone mentioned Eau d'Absinthe. It's all very subtle on me and it does give me a certain "hairspray" vibe. Unicorn, I agree with previous posters, has something very green and violet about it, it still reminds me of women's cosmetics products and its sweetness is a bit of the throat-scatchy kind. Obviously, these are not fragrances I'm standing in line for to buy, but they are far more complex than I initially gave them credit for and will surely find their fan community. I will give Lion a full wear some time next week and see what happens.
    My Wardrobe

Yay, just received the samples. Mine arrived completely fine and without any leakage. Impressions later...

Quote Originally Posted by Mikael
    Yay, just received the samples. Mine arrived completely fine and without any leakage. Impressions later...
    Nice to hear that you got yours. I still haven`t got them. (I went to mailbox very optimistic, after I had seen this reply...I thought this would have been a Yay-Day for Finns in general. Apparently, it is not. I hope those samples will finally arrive next week, and I do believe so. Can`t wait, despite the great controversy on reviews.)

Got mine also today, finally! Thanks to Renee for that. It's a bit like a scent synchronisation day ( or week) , sample synchronisation week. Cool idea , if I say so myself. Only sampled Lion and Antimatierre.
    About the scent descriptions, it's stunning how the descriptions match the scents.
    First the Antimatiere: "An invisible ink , whispered, a creased bed linen scent". The idea of fresh, clean,sheets on a bed is very apropiate for the scent. You don't smell it constantly, only wiffs now and then. Light, it's there and yet it isn't . Very refined. I get the artistic idea behind it, but is it something I'd buy?....hmmm, If this was released by Calvin Klein, I'd already guess how the reviews would be on here. A lighter Kenzo Air came to mind imediately.., yes, lighter than Kenzo Air.

The Lion, was ok. A nice , comforting, VERY dry woody scent. On card it smelled way differend than on my skin . On card it smelled like Cacharel Pour Homme, with some pepper notes. On skin it was in the same familly as Gucci pour homme. Very dry, dusty, wood notes (cedar?) with some spice.

Overal , very nice and crafted scents, but not deeply impressed..., yet!! The scents have to be really good to me, especially for those prices mentioned on the website. But you never know, look at Bond no.9 and Le Labo fragrances.
    Now I still have to test the Unicorn one.

Good luck in buisiness Renee,

Eric
    Last edited by eric; 3rd November 2006 at 11:26 AM.

entry moved to new thread: The Lion and the Unicorn
    Last edited by narcus; 3rd November 2006 at 12:46 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by cedriceccentric
    Ok, they arrived this morning.
    I don't remember seeing an ingredients list, but here what I think is in them:
    -Let me play the Lion: Is this about earthy/dry African savannas? Anyway I smell vetiver, nutmeg and cedar-wood. Most masculine, very dry.
    -The Unicorn Spell: Ethereal. Being creations from Isabelle Doyen, this one is the most Annick Goutal-like IMHO. Reminds me of Eau de Camille and Eau du Ciel. Green notes that are a bit sour contrasted with sweet violet, could be iris as there is also that typical drier "old paper" feeling. Strangely I find it both young and vintage at the same time.
    -L'Antimatière: This is my favorite. Starts as some sort of classic Eau de Cologne but then evolves, into what I think is, a rose smell. Sort of lipstick and old perfume trail on a scarf. There is also some sort of spiciness. It starts of transparent but drydowns more and more intense. This a Parisian perfume for an elegant bourgeoise; you know the type... plain sensible suit but with expensive accessories.

Overall the line has, as others said above, a real "niche" vibe. It's for people who can't find there taste in the commercial perfumery anymore, but who aren't bold enough for Serge Lutens or some of the grander creations from Frederic Malle's perfumers. LesNez are a bit too well mannered for own personal taste.

First of all, Thank you to LezNez for the samples, nice 4ml spray samples that were very well packaged .

Let me play the Lion: This reminded me of a lot of different elements of fragrances I've smelt before in the past. It opens up smelling like Gucci Rush, that hamster cage cedarwood note, but not so identical. I noticed a couple of previous posters said it smelt like Gucci PH but I haven't smelt that yet. After that you're left with a slightly dry woody smoky incense that's similar to something like CDG Kyoto or CDG 2 man but more tamed, less dark and a lot sweeter. Overall, nice but too faint and no longevity on my skin, and not very unique IMO. Reminded of a mix of different scents I've smelt before.

L'antimatiere: Honestly...WTF ...does this smell like anything. I did 6 sprays to the chest and 3 to the forearms and all I got from the initial blast was 99% alcohol and the rest was fragrance. The opening smelt like alcohol and I know most perfumes open up with some alcohol but this stuff was like smelling just plain alcohol, no fragrance. I hoping my sample was messed up or something. This stuff vanishes off my skin in 20 minutes or less. All I get is this singular minty freshness that can be found in D&G By Man. I don't know..maybe it isn't suppose to smell like anything...is this fragrance suppose to be a joke. Are people willing to spend top dollars on a fragrance that makes them smell like nothing, actually a pretty cool idea IMO.

The Unicorn Spell: This is by far my favorite out of all the samples. I'd actually consider buying this one after a few more testings. Starts off smelling really grassy, maybe some vetiver, and soft pepper note, and a little mint. It's like an extreme version of CDG 3 IMO, but then it starts getting a lot sweeter, the violent comes in, and it's a little feminine but I love it. The sillage and longevity is amazing.
    Last edited by nsamadi; 5th November 2006 at 06:44 AM.

I agree with nsamadi. The Unicorn is real good.
    Smells a bit like Goutals Eau du Sud or another Annick Goutal fragrance which name escapes me.

Overall the Lion and the Unicorn are very good, well made and good longevity.
    I still don't get the idea behind the Antimatierre though.

Quote Originally Posted by Oscar
    Finally recieved them today...

LMPTL was the most interesting one: spicy woods..there was something very familiar with it, and after some time I found out it was Fou d'Absinthe. Btw, this one was only 1/5 full as the atomizer had a leak.

Unicorn started very green. Like a vast grass-field (think Ichnvsa by Profumum). Then it turned very flowery and fruity...a little too feminine for me.

L'Antimatiere started out with nothing else than alcohol. Then completely innocent musk..the lightest of them all...(if you try breathing warm breath on it, you'll get a completely different scent. Nearly gourmandy)
    My impressions were exactly the same. I too thought it was very similar to Fou d'Absinthe, but LMPTL is lacking the bitter quality of Fd'A. I like LMPTL better, and on me it last all day.
    Current faves: CdG White, Amouage Dia, Millesime Imperial, Miller Harris Terre de Bois

I tried The Unicorn Spell yesterday.
    Dry, green and herbalicious!
    The first thing that struck me when I put this on was that it reminded me of something very familiar....Sous le Buis. I don't know the notes but I am pretty sure there is a heavy dollop of clary sage in the mix. In fact, initially, that's about all I got...clary sage and more clary sage. Later I got that scent you get if you run you hands over a young tomato plant before it starts to bear fruit. It was so very green and dry it made my eyes burn a little.
    I toughed it out and was glad I did. After 20-30 minutes an amazingly green violet emerged and just a little bit of orris root. The scent as a whole settled down considerably to an extremely green floral. Others have reported fruit but my nose was unable to detect any.
    This is an unusual, sophisticated, cold scent. The whole thing lasted a little over four hours on my dry skin.

Ok, so it seems that the samples have arrived in America. Hopefully I should be getting them tomorrow and get a chance to try out this interesting line.
    -

I received my samples today; was a little disappointed that they were just in tubes rather than atomizers, but it's still a huge amount of juice for a sample, and it was free, so a big thanks to LesNez.

My sentiments on the fragrances pretty much echo what most are saying: love Unicorn and the Lion, but Antimatierre just does nothing for me - I could barely detect it after applying, and it's completely gone now. I'm in love with the woodiness of Lion once it has dried down, while Unicorn has a wonderful green smell to it. These are two fragrances I may look into purchasing.

I'm still waiting and hoping.

maybe it takes longer to get to California?

Thank god, the samples start arriving in the US.

For Enver Murat in Fenerbahce - Kadikoy (Istambul - Turkey) the news are bad: The samples where returned to sender this morning from Turkey with no sticker. Just the address crossed. We'll send it again.

EauxM / René Schifferlle / LesNez