Code of Conduct

Thread: Rugged Rouge!

Default Rugged Rouge!

I've been wearing Habit Rouge EDT for a couple days. I find it to be very masculine, rough and rugged in spite of the vanilla spice notes. I like that the vanilla doesn't overpower. Raw and sexual. I slightly prefer it to the less animalic EDC, but both versions are fantastic. My wife doesn't like it, but tough cookies i say.
    Habit Rouge is the wild, kicking Mustang of oriental fragrances.
    Are you not entertained??? Is this not why you are here??

Default Re: Rugged Rouge!

Odd -- to me, it's a very formal, restrained, complex fragrance that is best with business formal dress. Odd how two different noses/brains can make something so different out of the same scent. That said, it's all good -- glad we both love this classic Guerlain.

Smile Re: Rugged Rouge!

I love this one too. I don't know what it is but there is almost a Musty smell combined with the vanilla that makes the vanilla ok for me. The same mustynesss is in Heritage too. I don't know what else to call it but musty but I love it. Its almost Antiquey. I am failing some how in finding words to describe this. Maybe someone else can help identify this for me.

Rick

Quote Originally Posted by DOCPSYCHO
    I love this one too. I don't know what it is but there is almost a Musty smell combined with the vanilla that makes the vanilla ok for me. The same mustynesss is in Heritage too.
    Could it be that famous "Guerlinade" accord? Or maybe just the contrast between the bergamot and vanilla?

Maybe our friend Scentemental can clarify this for us.

Quote Originally Posted by tvlampboy
    Odd -- to me, it's a very formal, restrained, complex fragrance that is best with business formal dress. Odd how two different noses/brains can make something so different out of the same scent. That said, it's all good -- glad we both love this classic Guerlain.
    As long as you enjoy it, my friend, that's all that matters .

Quote Originally Posted by DOCPSYCHO
    I love this one too. I don't know what it is but there is almost a Musty smell combined with the vanilla that makes the vanilla ok for me. The same mustynesss is in Heritage too. I don't know what else to call it but musty but I love it. Its almost Antiquey. I am failing some how in finding words to describe this. Maybe someone else can help identify this for me.

Rick
    Yes, I mentionted this musty (I said mucky) note in another thread. I wondered if it was civet - prob not. Now I am thinking it is the patchouli. I have a patchouli talcum which has this similar smell. Many say it smells like powder - I dont get this at all. I think the vanilla is very subdued. I am wondering if the patchouli mustiness is behind the powder reference? who knows?
    I am enjoying this beast, but havent yet figured how to wear it. I wore it to work once, which was ok and I wore it out to rake some leaves. Something tells me this one is casual...
    mc

I consider Habit Rouge to be "liquid velvet" as it is warm and smooth but not as smooth as silk. I have the EDC version but have the EDT ordered.......can't wait until it gets here.

Quote Originally Posted by cookesoul
    I consider Habit Rouge to be "liquid velvet" as it is warm and smooth but not as smooth as silk. I have the EDC version but have the EDT ordered.......can't wait until it gets here.
    Ditto.

I find the EDC has the same duration as the EDT with more citrus and less of the "cardboard" note... most likely roses/leather. But the EDT has better siliage and more powder + vanilla. I like 'em both but lean towards the EDC.

I can't get into the EDP as it has agarwood and my mind immediately makes the leap to M7.

I'm pretty comfortable wearing the EDC to work but I haven't worn the EDT in a while, so it should come out for a test run tomorrow!
    MisterK / Vicomte de K / K
    Ephemeral Top 5: YSL PH HC, Worth PH, Equipage, Monsieur Rochas HC, Acqua di Gio

Quote Originally Posted by knightowl
    My wife doesn't like it
    Man, tell your wife that I`m with her on this one. HR makes me sick.

Thrax

Knightowl, I'm just glad that you like it more than I did.

I love it.

The only requisite for Habit Rouge is that the wearer must be as evolved as the fragrance.
    Last edited by pluran; 23rd October 2006 at 07:08 PM.
    "You have to paint things black if you want to make future possibilities more vivid."
    - Michel Foucault

The entire universe is based upon your ability to conclude the new idea which is the summoning forth of the new life into the new space.

Man, this site has really gone to shit. Seems like every person who knew anything about perfume has left the building, and I can see why.

Attempted to fully appreciate HR EDT for years, but ultimately it joined a category of scents that I find unpleasantly distracting........

Grating after the first couple of hours in fact.......

I enjoy and utilize several other Guerlains frequently.........

But no can do with H. Rouge............
    Last edited by John.com; 23rd October 2006 at 05:49 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by John.com
    Attempted to fully appreciate HR EDT for years, but ultimately it joined a category of scents that I find unpleasantly distracting........
    same here, it strikes me as stuffy.

Quote Originally Posted by pluran
    The only requisite for Habit Rouge is that the wearer must be as evolved as the fragrance.
    Obviously I have to ask you what you mean with "evolved", pluran. I'm curious to hear your opinion about that.

Quote Originally Posted by DesGrieux
    Obviously I have to ask you what you mean with "evolved", pluran. I'm curious to hear your opinion about that.
    Perhaps you have to be Operating Thetan to understand it
    Greetings to Tom Cruise

P.S.: I love it. Beat most hip frags on my last sniffing tour. On the list
    My Wardrobe
    II est de forts parfums pour qui toute matière/Est poreuse. On dirait qu'ils pénètrent le verre.

Quote Originally Posted by John.com

Grating after the first couple of hours in fact.......

I enjoy and utilize several other Guerlains frequently.........

But no can do with H. Rouge............
    John.com,

Your positive review of Habit Rouge in the directory in which you described it as: "Absulutely addictive" was obviously based on the EDC. I have never even tried the EDC. I need to.

I found the EDT stuffy and bit irritating when I was in my early twenties. I liked the way it smelled but rarely wore it. I preferred Azzaro Pour Homme, Drakkar Noir, Paco Rabanne Pour Homme etc. I find Heritage somewhat stuffy although I like that one a lot as well. I think many people are put off by the fact that Habit Rouge (the EDT anyway) has the ability to wear them instead of the other way around. After years of risking my life in various ways there are very few fragrances that feel as though they are wearing me. I usually make them my own in a short period of time.
    Last edited by pluran; 23rd October 2006 at 08:42 PM.
    "You have to paint things black if you want to make future possibilities more vivid."
    - Michel Foucault

The entire universe is based upon your ability to conclude the new idea which is the summoning forth of the new life into the new space.

Man, this site has really gone to shit. Seems like every person who knew anything about perfume has left the building, and I can see why.

Quote Originally Posted by DesGrieux
    DesGrieux,

the_good_life is correct. You must be an Operating Thetan to understand it. Not really, but having a less reactive mind is certainly one of the keys to being more evolved.

Regarding evolution, the same could be said for many fragrances, not just Habit Rouge. You could easily apply that to Jicky, Pour Monsieur, Jules and hundreds of others.
    - Michel Foucault

Thanks, pluran. My personal "justification" for wearing Habit Rouge [I'm in my early twenties and haven't had to "risk my life" yet] - not only that I really like it - is the fact that I'm a student of music (classical, though). As a matter of fact I get a certain "artist vibe" from HR.

So if people would mind: "Well, this guy is smelling strange", maybe it would be apt for the "image" of being an artist (and therefore an outcast).

;-)

I'm wearing it today because of this thread. The great classic.

Quote Originally Posted by cookesoul
    Don't forget to check back in with your thoughts on the EDT .

Quote Originally Posted by Thrax
    Knightowl, I'm just glad that you like it more than I did.
    I feel bad you didn't like the Tuscany, buddy

Thrax

Quote Originally Posted by knightowl
    I feel bad you didn't like the Tuscany, buddy
    Dont worry buddy. I got some real good stuff out of it. In the world of blind swapping, thats the way the cookie crumbles.