Code of Conduct

Question Leather for women?

I have always loved perfume and I am quite addicted to it now. I adore Basenotes as I can broaden my knowledge and get an idea of what a new fragrance may be like.
    But I am a bit lost with the leather note. I am not sure if I have smelt it before or if it is one that I like.
    Can any of you fellow addictees tell me the more popular fragrances that have a leather note? I live in Australia - so the real boutique fragrances are just about impossible to get. Thanks for your help!

Overcome By Fumes

Default Re: Leather for women?

Some fairly common ones (at least in the U.S.) with leather notes would be Chanel No. 19, Clinique Wrappings, and Estee Lauder Azuree--although in none of these is leather the dominant note.

Worth tracking down, if you can get into the city, would be Caron Tabac Blond, Chanel Cuir de Russie, Gres Cabochard, Robert Piguet Bandit, or Balmain Miss Balmain.

Some leather scents or Dry Woods for women would be Bandit by Piguet, Cuir de Russie by Chanel, Daim Blond by Serge Lutens, Donna Karan, Diorling by Christian Dior, Miss Balmain by Balmain, Tabac Blond by Caron. Good luck with your hunt!
    "A great perfume is a work of art, it can lift our days, haunt our nights and create the milestones of our memories. Fragrance is liquid emotion. And that never goes out of fashion. " MICHAEL EDWARDS

I would say the easiest to actually get your hands on would be Jolie Madam.
    It has violets as well with a really strong leather note.

Cuir de Russie and Tabac Blond would be difficult to find perhaps.
    DONNA

Try internet sites, call and ask them to recommend a fragrance to sample.
    Here's a thread from this website that lists vendors that sell or give samples.
    http://community.basenotes.net/showt...t=free+samples

Lean in closer, dear
    Blog Entries

Guerlain Jicky is another with leather. I've read that women prefer the EDT form, and that's true for me.

Sooner or later you'll probably purchase or swap for some imported samples, so start a new list for that inevitability. If you become hooked on leather (addict here! ), you will want to try L'Artisan Dzing! and (harder to come by) VIP Room Signature.
    In a world where 6 million people are added each month, every landscape matters.

Another leather fan here, even on a woman's skin...
    Tabac Blond
    Miss Dior
    Coco Chanel
    Chanel Cuir de Russie
    Keiko Mecheri A fleur de peau
    Keiko Mecheri Jenie de Bois
    Creed Royal Delight (pretty unisex to my nose)
    Armani Privé Cuir Amethyste
    SL Daim Blond
    Fracas (leather hints in it too for me)
    DZING!

Gumoosh,

Step into your nearest shoe store or leather boutique, and sniff the burnished leather. This is the note you would find in leather perfumes. If you have an old leather-bound book, that's another way to get aqcuianted with the note. It smells smoky, somewhat herbal, with this dry note that just smells like cured leather.

Most drgustores here carry Tabac Original and English Leather (can't remember the brand names), these are cheap classics that are easy to obtain.

If you want to know the more obscure high end ones, there are samples avaialble on the internet - from eBay and other basenoters (Buffalo_Gal from Basenotes sells them, and I can't recommend her higly enough for service and the quality scents she has; her eBay store is called Dragonfly Scent Me or Dragonfly00).

The scents I recommend the most from the leather family are:

Tabac Blond (Caron) - you can call the Caron Boutique in NYC I believe to send you a sample, or you can order it from eBay

Feuilles de Tabac (Miller Harris) - I think you have to live in the UK to order samples from her website; I have a huge bottle though and would be happy to send you a sample size to try.

Espionage (this is from my own line, Ayala Moriel Parfums, and if you want to try this, you can order a sample online - I just added a shopping card option last week - or PM me and I will send you one for free)

Cuir de Russie (Chanel) - try ordering a sample online from eBay or swap with a Basenoter, I am sure there is somebody that would have enough of this to spare a sample (I only have a tiny mini bottle otherwise I would have offered it myself).

As mentioned before, Jolie Madame is a leathery scent (with violets). I can't find it here, but you might be able to find it in Australia if they carry any Balmain scents. Ivoire is a green scent with a leathery base, and also NO. 19 which was recommended earlier has a tad of leather (wish it was more noticebale though on myself).
    Ayala Moriel, Perfumer
    Ayala Moriel Parfums http://www.ayalamoriel.com/
    Visit my SmellyBlog: http://www.smellyblog.com/

Indeed leather is a peculiar note (bitter, singeing aroma) and sniffing leather goods is a good lesson.

Very subtle leather: Chanel #19, Miss Dior esp.parfum, VIP room
    Stronger, more assertive leather: Espionage by Ayala, Cuir de Russie, Bandit edp (wonderful) , Dzing!

the purest, most unadulterated leather I can think of is Etro Gomma.

My 2 leather favorites are En Avion by Caron and Vol de Nuit by Guerlain.

Wink Re: Leather for women?

Thanks for all your helpful replies. I must say, I was a mad horsewoman in my younger days and going into a saddlery and running my fingers over the impossibly expensive saddles might be a cue for me to try some your suggested scents. They sound right up my alley!

Quote Originally Posted by Gumoosh
    Thanks for all your helpful replies. I must say, I was a mad horsewoman in my younger days and going into a saddlery and running my fingers over the impossibly expensive saddles might be a cue for me to try some your suggested scents. They sound right up my alley!
    Hi Gumoosh

I was thinking where you live you might have trouble finding stuff. I've recently discovered a great woman who has an ebay perfume store and she is located in Melbourne — so there's a saving on shipping for a start. She has a lot of rare stuff (particularly for Australia) and her prices are about half normal retail. She seems very nice too.

http://stores.ebay.com.au/Millys-Fragrances

She may be your best shot for finding a classic leather in Oz.

cheers

Eluard

Thank you Eluard! It is a real blessing to get some shopping tips for fragrances in Australia. As I live in Regional Victoria - so it can be even more difficult. I think Tabac Blond sounds pretty good. I'm going to strap on some chaps and get me a cowgirl hat! Giddyup!

Jolie Madame is a great introduction to the leather note. I bought mine inexpensively from an internet store because it was out-of-stock at the store in which I sampled it. It is feminine but animalic, sweet and pretty, but sexy. The only bad thing is that it has been in production for so long that Balmain has digressed to selling only EDT. So, I settle for EDT.
    I found some vintage Chanel Cuir de Russie, and that presents a different story altogether--really strong leather, like a cowboy, saddle, horse, chaps, cigarette and all. Wow. Talk about animalic, that one is alive and kicking. (Needless to say here on Basenotes, those words are intended to be complimentary.) That was the old formulation. The new Cuir de Russie is supposed to be very good. You have to call a Chanel boutique to get it.

When I lived in France, a lot of young women wore Canoe, and I learned they just wore what they liked. So back in the States, in high school, I wore English Leather...often! The boys loved it, and never guessed what it was. So I have continued to wear men's scents from time to time and have gotten away with it just fine.

But then, I also liked Tweed, Fiji, and Woodhue for those days when my animus was up (and my favourite season is fall). I'm more a woods and spice than a floral type.

Blog Entries

Default Leathers for a leather loving gal?

I love leather and am interested in discovering any good leathers I might have missed. I have quite a few great leathers already but would appreciate suggestions for any I might be missing out on...

Currently own / love:

Ava Luxe Film Noir - more suede then leather on my skin. Great tobacco leather blend.

Ava Luxe Chypre Noir - Classic tobacco leather chypre blend.
    Avon Occur! - less intense / dense sister to Vivienne Westwood Boudoir, sexy!
    Cerruti Image Woman - Unique refreshing fruity herbaceous with warm smokey wood leather drydown.
    Chanel No.19 - Classic, elegant, morechypre
    then leather (in the EDT).
    Dior Homme - Very wearable leather (more unisex then masculine). The iris tends to feature in this blend.

Dana English Leather - I have all 4 variations of this (Original, Limed, Spiced, Musk) with Spiced being my absolute favourite. Very wearable leather but no longevity - No surprise as it is a cologne, but still sad.
    Halston Z-14 - wonderful fruity spiced leather, very longlasting. Warm, complex incensy woods on amber leather base
    Serge Lutens Daim Blond - apricot tinged suede
    Donna Karan New York - lily dominated suede
    Gres Cabochard - leather tobaccochypre
    - divine! especially in vintage
    Givenchy III - amazing green leatherchypre
    (what Piguet Bandit wishes it could be)
    Piguet Bandit - great leather tobacco chypre (scent lovechild of Gres Cabochard & Givenchy III but less than both)
    Aramis Aramis pour Homme - created for men but oh so good on this woman...
    Chanel Antaeus - very fougere in opening but sublime warm leather drydown
    Aramis Bel Ami - odd barbershop citrus opening but the rich leather base is divine
    Chanel Cuir de Russie - gorgeous true leather but the aldehydes are (distinctly odd numbered molecule chained) too tallowy / fatty for my more austre tastes.
    Caron Tabac Blond - I need a full bottle of this heaven sent perfume especially in extrait / parfum!
    Fendi Donna - intense spicy amber oriental, similar to Chanel Coco EDP but less civilised and a lot more sexy! Leather chypre base is worth waiting for.
    Dana Chantilly - more suede then leather, powdery with geranium giving it a unique edge (similar to Dioressence)

Serge Lutens Cuir Mauresque - Modern descendent of the formidable Caron Tabac Blond, but sweeter and fruitier.
    Montale Cuir D'Arabie - rich uncompromising raw leather. Distinct, beautiful. Need a large sample / decant of this one - a little goes a long, long way!
    Balmain Jolie Madame - sublime violet dominated aldehydic floral with a wonderfully refined demure elegant leather base.
    Balmain Miss Balmain - the more wordly chypre sister to Jolie Madame, very similar to Fendi Donna.
    Paco Rabanne La Nuit - stark, dry animalic rose kissed leather.
    Vivienne Westwood Anglomania - flirtatious fruity floral (rose) with a sexy touch of leather in the base.
    Dior Miss Dior - sexy classic aldehydic floral chypre with delicious leather in the base. Sexy animalic leather features more strongly in the vintage formulation.
    Lancome Sikkim - another animalic leather chypre, akin to Miss Dior (vintage)

So, what else should I checkout?
    Last edited by moondeva; 4th March 2007 at 04:59 AM.
    Favourite (Winter) Crazy Combos

Tabu + Orange Blossom * Hermes Rouge + Bellodgia* Voleur du Roses+ Rose Ispahan * Rasa Extreme + Paris * Wood Coffee + Cafe Noir *

Smile Re: Leather for women?

I'm in total agreement with Moondeva, (this time...lol...) about Fendi. That was my signature for many years, still like it, but I think it's been tweaked a little. To me, it has a distinctive leather note & is very sexy.

Leather notes are lovely and the Balmains do it in the most civilized way

Anglomania is a brighter more modern and spicy leather

La Nuit by Paco Rabanne is a nocturnal leather scent

Tabac blond is so very elegant and to my nose androgynous

My favorite leather of all time is the sadly discontinued Lanvin Scandal...a most beautiful come hither leather scent...kid gloves holding a bouquet!

Or Black (Pascal Morabito)
    Derby - vintage (Guerlain)
    Cuir Mauresque (Serge Lutens)
    Cabochard - vintage (Grès)
    Cuir de Russie (Chanel)
    Tabac Blond (Caron)
    Bandit (Robert Piguet)
    Daim Blond (Serge Lutens)
    Black Aoud (Montale)
    La Nuit (Paco Rabanne)
    Oud Cuir d'Arabie (Montale)
    Last edited by pluran; 4th March 2007 at 04:48 AM.

This one is a tough one but if you
    say you were a horse woman eariler
    on...
    Kolnisch Juchten
    Parfums Regence

It is written that this is a very old
    dressing of birch that was applied
    to the saddles... it is of Russian
    origin.
    If you ever get & do not like it, I
    buy it from you - at your price.
    CG

Check out Columbina's blog: http://perfumesmellinthings.blogspot.com/ - on the right are links to just about every possible leather scent.

Talking Re: Leather for women?

I finally bought some Caron Urn samples and I sooo know what you guys mean by leather and tobacco! It is amazing - most of the Caron scents have one of those nights either screaming through with headlights on 'Full beam' (Narcisse Noir) or sidling quietly in the slow lane.
    I must say - Tabac Blond is as far as I will get with those. But I did appreciate them all. Parfum Sacre and Eau de Reglisse are my favourites. I am currently in negotiations with my inner demon to see if I buy a decent size decant. Credit rating be damned!

Tabac Blond being one of my Holy Grail frags, let me also mention Habanita by Molinard. Just received a sample of this and it's a heavenly leather and roses with some powdery notes going on.
    My other fave leathers would be En Avion, Daim Blond and Chanel no 19.
    I need to add Ayala's Espionage...this is a mysterious and wonderful scent.
    Last edited by rtamara41; 8th March 2007 at 11:22 AM.
    "Like a lobster with a pearl in its claw, the beet held the jasmine firmly without crushing or obscuring it. Beet lifted jasmine, the way a bullnecked partner lifts a ballerina, and the pair came on stage on citron's fluty cue. As if jasmine were a collection of beautiful paintings, beet hung it in the galleries of the nose, insured it against fire or theft, threw a party to celebrate it. Citron mailed the invitations." Jitterbug Perfume by Tom Robbins p. 189

What I am loving right now: Shalimar vintage extrait, Chanel Bois des Iles, Chanel no. 22, Le Labo Iris 39, Guerlain Iris Ganache

I don't get much leather in Chanel No. 19 Eau de Toilette. But it is distinctly leather and roses it in the Eau de Parfum concentration, so look for that specifically.

I am a leather fan and I love many of the scents mentioned, especially the Montale leathers, Serge Lutens, Bandit, Habanita etc.

As for Caron, I love Tabac Blond, but I find that there is much more of a leather note to French Cancan which I love too.

There's one I want to try but it seems rare, Aigner Leather Woman. Anyone have it? Is it worth the bother of finding it and buying it?

Creed Royal English Leather was suggested to me when I visited Les Senteurs on Saturday. I wouldn't normally have tried a leathery scent, especially not one that is marketed primarily at men, but it was love at first sniff. I now own my first Creed.
    It's a lot sweeter and warmer than I would have expected. It also reminds me of someone...maybe an adult I encountered during my childhood...but I can't really picture who. But it's a very nostalgic smell for me, and I had to have it.

I've also tried Bandit and like that a lot too. I'd definitely wear it with my ankle-length black leather coat!

MOONDEVA - Every time I see one of your lists, I salivate. I'm pleased to say though, that I do have several decants from your list coming, and am very anxious to test them! Leather... yummmm.......