Code of Conduct

Default Antidote, London, Prada & Vintage--Disappointment City

My Nordstrom decants any scent in their stock into a 1/4 oz bottle for 6.00 so I took one of each.

For such high profile, big bucks scents/houses, I cannot imagine 4 more disappointing fragrances. The fact that they all arrived at about the same time makes it all more heartbreaking. For God's sake, couldn't ONE of them be a hit?

Here's my take:

Antidote. Take the big bucks they're charging and get an Andy Tauer scent for the same money. Just an average scent that looks backwards instead of forward. Clearly the women got the best here with Flowerbomb. Back to the drawing room, boys. Not worth the money. When they make a men's scent as good as FB, THEN charge 70 bucks a bottle.

Prada. My worst. Too sweet, too ambery and too chaotic, not to mention reminiscent of a million different others. For God's sake, if you've made your reputation on stylish, trend setting clothing, at least follow the same example with your scents. A major letdown, and in reading the reviews, I was glad to see it's not just me.

London. It's...drumroll...OK. It won't offend, but it's so "safe" as to be, in my opinion, a disappointment and not nearly as good as Brit.

Vintage--what's the point? Not nearly as good as the original and yet they smell close enough to make Vintage unncessary. Note to John V: you'll never be successful by releasing clones of the first.

So these 4 major releases are all flops--or at least extremely mediocre to me--and I'm counting the days for Lonestar Memories to arrive to make me forget these four uninspired, backwards-looking and completely average scents. Fragrances like Dior Homme and Hermes' TDH saw and interpreted and mapped a blueprint for the future of men's fragrances. They were startingly original and didn't follow the usual woods/leather/tobacco blueprint that's been a staple of men's colognes from the beginning. These 4 settled for tried and true formulas whose strategy is to appeal to the lowest common denominator--the mall fragrance shopper who would be just as happy with an unspeakable Kenneth Cole or Feragamo. Boy, won't the frat brothers and the chicks dig these!!!

They all lack uniqueness, pizazz, originality, and frankly, quality. And people actually still start threads here wondering if "niche" scents are really better and/or necessary. These 4 are proof positive that they are.

IMO.
    Last edited by Rebelwithoutaclue; 23rd October 2006 at 05:54 AM.

Unhappy Re: Antidote, London, Prada & Vintage--Disappointment City

The Nordstrom near me stopped doing the decants. I had purchased a few on different occasions and got dirty looks from some of the salespeople. Quite un-Nordstrom-like, I thought. The next time I came in and wanted to purchase a decant, the salesperson stated that they were no longer carrying the atomizers and had discontinued the program. I believe the sales staff is on commission and I'm sure some of the disgruntled associates complained that the decants were taking away from their full-bottle sales. In my case, it has increased sales for them, as I've gone back on more than one occasion and purchased the full bottle. The atomizers are great for travel and touchups during the day. I was very disappointed to hear this news.

Hey guys and gals, has the Nordstroms near you discontinued the atomizers?

Jim

Default Re: Antidote, London, Prada & Vintage--Disappointment City

Alright, Rebel!

Harken the truth!

Good god. That's a shop selling 10ml for 8$... I wish I had one near me.

Well, these companies are about making money by selling perfumes, not making beautiful, aesthetically courageous perfumes that happen to sell or not. And they obviously believe that playing it safe will be financially more sucessful in the long run. The true feat is to to do both, of course, but I wonder ...does anybody have sales figures on dior homme?

I'll say though that I did like London, it just fades so quickly on me I can hardly smell it. Felt to me like they were cutting corners on pefume oil content.

I agree that Antidote is a bore, Prada was soso. Varvatos Vintage I kind of liked, but not in the "got to buy this" way. Then again, I don't know the original.

The most interesting designer frrag I sniffed recently while romping about airports was Nicole Farhi (men). Anyone know that?
    My Wardrobe
    II est de forts parfums pour qui toute matière/Est poreuse. On dirait qu'ils pénètrent le verre.

I disagree on the Varvatos Vintage...initially I thought Vintage and the original smelled somewhat similar, but after purchasing and wearing them, they are really not that close. Vintage is much more of a tobacco-based scent that is very smooth and refined, without much (if any) of the original's fruit/leather cocktail. Vintage is more subtle, so I can understand if it underwhelms someone on an initial test, but after living with both of them now, I actually prefer Vintage. And that is coming from someone who thinks very highly of the original Varvatos. Ignore at your own risk, but Vintage suceeds in what it sets out to do, as far as being a pleasing, gentlemanly designer mass market scent.

Talking Re: Antidote, London, Prada & Vintage--Disappointment City

Quote Originally Posted by Rebelwithoutaclue

Here's my take:

Antidote. Take the big bucks they're charging and get an Andy Tauer scent for the same money. Just an average scent that looks backwards instead of forward. Clearly the women got the best here with Flowerbomb. Back to the drawing room, boys. Not worth the money. When they make a men's scent as good as FB, THEN charge 70 bucks a bottle.

Prada. My worst. Too sweet, too ambery and too chaotic, not to mention reminiscent of a million different others. For God's sake, if you've made your reputation on stylish, trend setting clothing, at least follow the same example with your scents. A major letdown, and in reading the reviews, I was glad to see it's not just me.

London. It's...drumroll...OK. It won't offend, but it's so "safe" as to be, in my opinion, a disappointment and not nearly as good as Brit.
    Well if you turn those statements on their head, you have my opinion of them!

LOL

Quote Originally Posted by iluvscent
    The Nordstrom near me stopped doing the decants. I had purchased a few on different occasions and got dirty looks from some of the salespeople. Quite un-Nordstrom-like, I thought. The next time I came in and wanted to purchase a decant, the salesperson stated that they were no longer carrying the atomizers and had discontinued the program. I believe the sales staff is on commission and I'm sure some of the disgruntled associates complained that the decants were taking away from their full-bottle sales. In my case, it has increased sales for them, as I've gone back on more than one occasion and purchased the full bottle. The atomizers are great for travel and touchups during the day. I was very disappointed to hear this news.

Hey guys and gals, has the Nordstroms near you discontinued the atomizers?

Jim
    At the Nordstroms here in Chicago, they decant for free. Not sure why they would charge you. I asked for a sample of Burberry London the other day and received 3 vials. Don't know what size they were but they were the standard sample Nordstrom vial.
    "I exist for myself, and for those to whom my unquenchable thirst for freedom gives everything, but also for everyone, since insofar as I am able to love - I love everyone. Of noble hearts, I am the noblest - and the most generous of those that yearn to give love in return. - I am a human being, I love death and I love life."

Egon Schiele - Self-Potrait

My classics: Dior Homme EdT, YSL Rive Gauche PH, Helmut Lang Cuiron, L'Occitane Neroli (vintage), Davidoff Zino, L'Occitane Eau des Baux

http://www.basenotes.net/wardrobe/2976

At first whiff, Antidote seems to be mix of Envy and LeMale. Turned rotten in the mid notes and ended sweeter on the dry down. Not very impressive.

Prada is just obnoxiously & nauseously soapey & powderey. Very one note too.

London isn't bad. The tart wine note is somewhat interesting and different. A 7 out of 10.

Vintage is quite nice. I just sampled this yesterday. A touch more sweeter and leathery than the original. On my to buy list.
    "I exist for myself, and for those to whom my unquenchable thirst for freedom gives everything, but also for everyone, since insofar as I am able to love - I love everyone. Of noble hearts, I am the noblest - and the most generous of those that yearn to give love in return. - I am a human being, I love death and I love life."

Egon Schiele - Self-Potrait

My classics: Dior Homme EdT, YSL Rive Gauche PH, Helmut Lang Cuiron, L'Occitane Neroli (vintage), Davidoff Zino, L'Occitane Eau des Baux

http://www.basenotes.net/wardrobe/2976