Code of Conduct

Default Perfume Kiosks in the mall - what's the deal?

In many shopping malls I've been to, there's a kiosk selling fragrance - some of them fairly high-end (my local one has Cartier, for example, which isn't in any of the anchor stores). I never even considered my local kiosk, but yesterday I stopped and had a look through the inventory. The proprietor seemed to have a pretty good grip on fragrances.

Legit? Is it hot merchandise? Old stuff? Anyone?

Default Re: Perfume Kiosks in the mall - what's the deal?

Quote Originally Posted by Bakerloo Line

Legit? Is it hot merchandise? Old stuff? Anyone?
    Its hard to say for sure but take a look at the other kiosk at the mall if there is one selling designer knock off sunglasses then the mall does not have a policy about selling imitation goods and anything that the other kiosk are selling is questionable.

I know that at my local mall the guy that sells the stuff buys in bulk from an ebay seller and then marks up 20% over ebay prices and still manages to be a lot cheaper then the big stores.

Here, quite a few of these are owned by Pakistani-Americans. In Dallas, they tend to be more heavily Arab-American owned. (Don't know why that is -- could be a family/distributor thing.)

Real stuff in my experience, yes, but the prices are high -- certainly higher, as a general rule, than websites and/or eBay. Usually they (the prices) are about 20 percent off retail in the kiosks I've stopped at.

All that said, you CAN pick up some real gems at these things if you look closely, as Joe Q. Public is too busy picking up his requisite bottle of Acqua di Gio to notice that forlorn bottle of Havana. (Or Antaeus. Or whatever.)

So stop and scour -- let us know if you find any treasures. (I'm probably preaching to the choir, though, as -- if you're like most of us on this board, myself chief among them -- you can't bring yourself to pass up any kind of fragrance counter, shop etc. anyway.)

They're usually much higher than you can get online, but they have the occasional overlooked gem such as a bottle of Ungaro I, which I found the other week at one.

They generally sell "off-brands" like Geparlys. These usually come in large very fancy bottles/tin containers, are quite sweet smelling and are priced below most designer frags. These appeal to the uninformed.

To my surprise I found 3 bottles of Rochas Macassar this year at one of these kiosks. I've also found gems like DK Unleaded, Balenciaga Portos, Hugo Boss Sport, and others at really good prices. Both the kiosks I go to in Virginia are owned by Iranians for some reason and the one here in Providence is owned by Pakistani or Indians. Hey I'm Pakistani-Amierican maybe I should open a kiosk! I wish I knew where they got this stuff from. I'm pretty sure a lot of this stuff comes from the Middle East market where perfumes are big. A lot of the Creed boxes and inserts have arabic writing on them.

Yes they sell real bottles . They also sell off brands from france like the brand alwready mention called Geparlys. The 2 off brand sents i bought were Invincible for men and Timeless homme . And im not unimformed i owne stuff rangeing from chanel to perry elliss . Not shure if the off brands are fake but they shure smell nice and project good becauss they are oil based . I follow my nose not some hipsters opinions . The kiosk are ok but be smart and check boxes for barcodes dates and shady writeing on them .

I find that most of them are overpriced - the known and even the lesser known.

The only thing I've ever bought at a kiosk was a mini RC helicopter when they first came out. Spent 60$ to watch my cat freak out and it was worth every penny.

I've honestly never really paid much attention. Next time I pass one of these I'll have to stop and take a look.
    Current Favorites:
    1. Le 3me Homme - Caron
    2. Yatagan - Caron
    3. Van Cleef & Arples Pour Homme
    4. Dolce & Gabbana pour Homme
    5. Kouros - YSL
    6. L'Anarchiste - Caron
    7. Xeryus - Givenchy
    8. V.I.P. Special Reserve - Giorgio Beverly Hills
    9. The Dreamer - Versace
    10. Nobile - Gucci

The only fragrance kiosks I've seen at malls here have sold knock offs. they're quite funny. I can't remember the specific names or brands but they did a pretty good job of copying the font/style of the box but with blatantly wrong names.

They do have the cheap stuff like Geparly mixed with good stuff. Prices are high but you have know your stuff and if the price is worth it. A couple of years back I snagged a bottle CH for Men 3.4 for 50.00. I wanted it at the time and it was impossible to get state side with out going international on EBay spending close to 80.00.

So know what you want and if the price is worth it.

CologneFan85

Most are LEGIT

I have found some discontinued and very hard to find fragrances in those perfume kiosks. If you find a good deal I wouldn't worry about buying something from them unless it is a best selling popular fragrances. I came accross a fake le Male tester once)

Not sure about your locations but here in PA-NJ-NY they are known for having knock off bottles of regular and high end juices!
    Buyer BEWARE because I am sure it is the same for you since these are mainly owned by the same people.

Not sure about your locations but here in PA-NJ-NY they are known for having knock off bottles of regular and high end juices!
    Buyer BEWARE because I am sure it is the same for you since these are mainly owned by the same people.