Code of Conduct

Default That Proraso smell

I've tried several different shave creams (scented and unscented), and Proraso seems to give me the best shave so far.
    At first I was kind of turned off by the scent (it's a strong camphor-menthol-eucalyptus scent), but lately I've started to really enjoy it. As far as I can tell, the scent fades away within a few minutes of shaving- which is usually a good thing, because very few of my SOTDs are compatible with that smell. However, part of me actually wants to smell that way sometimes.

For people who haven't smelled Proraso: It's a strong, refreshing menthol-eucalyptus scent. It's not medicinal like coughdrops, but it's also not really 'green' either. I'd place it somewhere in between coughdrops and eucalyptus air freshener

Do other people like this kind of smell? Maybe a better question would be: is this a weird thing to smell like? I feel like wearing something that smelled like this would be like wearing a perfume that smelled like mint chewing gum or something- maybe it's a smell that shouldn't be worn. But I like it.

Are there any frags out there that are similar to Proraso?

I appreciate your help,
    -ben
    Nihil Obstat Ben

[url=http://www.basenotes.net/wardrobe/1883]My Wardrobe[/url]

Default Re: That Proraso smell

I've never seen one similar to Proraso, other than Icy Hot, and similar sports rubs that utilize menthol like scents.

I haven't tried Proraso yet, so these are just a few stabs in the dark, but...

Il Profumo Encens Epice has a really strong wintergreen/menthol like coolness mixed with a good dose of amber and opoponax.

Serge Lutens Borneo 1834 features a very strong camphor note set against an equally strong patchouli note.
    ..."net", not "naut".

Are you talking about a Proraso shaving cream, as opposed the Proraso after shave cream that I've been using for decades? The latter's scent lasts about two or three hours after application.
    Renato

Do other people like this kind of smell? Maybe a better question would be: is this a weird thing to smell like? I feel like wearing something that smelled like this would be like wearing a perfume that smelled like mint chewing gum or something- maybe it's a smell that shouldn't be worn. But I like it.

Are there any frags out there that are similar to Proraso?

Smile Re: That Proraso smell

Sorry for double posting.

I like the Proraso smell, but I usually don't use Proraso products because menthol-camphor-eucalyptus oils are too strong and sting on my delicate skin.
    Proraso is one of the oldest and most common men's grooming drugstore brands in Italy. Therefore, to me is is also a smell of my childhood, of the early morning hours before going to school, when daddy was shaving.

What to use with Proraso products to enhance the smell? This is very easy:

- Shower or bath with "Bagnoschiuma Vidal Pino Silvestre", then obviously you spray on Pino Silvestre cologne or Acqua di Selva or Fresco by Victor.

So you will smell herbal-piney-conipherous with a hint of cough syrup/antireumatic ointment (very fine and masculine anyway).

Regards. W

Quote Originally Posted by Waldemar
    Proraso is one of the oldest and most common men's grooming drugstore brands in Italy. Therefore, to me is is also a smell of my childhood, of the early morning hours before going to school, when daddy was shaving.

There once was a time (several decades ago) when Proraso was the only after shave balm I could find in Australia - and I could only get it from my Italian barber (named Joe, of course).

I used it for a long time till the Mennen and Gillette balms finally put in an appearance, as it was the only thing that got rid of redness and flaky skin after a shave.

I still always have a jar of it handy. One advantage it has over regular balms is that if it is summer and there are a lot of flies around, they don't attack it the way they would a standard balm.
    Renato

Try Body Kouros. It has menthol, camphor, etc. It's mildly used and well done, but you can definitely smell those notes coming through.

Body Kouros isn't a bad idea, but have you thought about trying any number of the tea tree oil shampoos/conditioners out there? I got turned onto using conditioner in lieu of shaving cream years ago, and have never looked back. Tea tree oil is not only very much in the same "family" of scents you seem to be looking for, but it's also an antiseptic, and very good for skin all around. Paul Mitchell is a good brand to seek out, but I'm sure you can get some real buys on eBay on other brands, too.

I own Body Kouros, but it doesn't have that exhillerating astringent feel to it; it's practically a gourmand to my nose (although I do smell the menthol notes you mentioned).

I've thought about the Proraso aftershave, but I'm pretty attached to the one that I'm using (which is unscented).

I'll look into some tea-tree products to see if they're close to what I want.

thanks!

-ben
    Nihil Obstat Ben

Sorry for the offtopic, but:
    I'm looking for a pre-shave, and the Proraso AS is supposed to be a pre-shave also. Any experiences using Proraso pre-shave?

Quote Originally Posted by fakepurseninja
    Sorry for the offtopic, but:
    I'm looking for a pre-shave, and the Proraso AS is supposed to be a pre-shave also. Any experiences using Proraso pre-shave?

I just bought the preshave. I'm still undecided on its effectiveness, but it does smell nice. It seems to soften the beard a little bit, but it's hard to tell with my face. I also seem to get a little bit less irritation.

-ben
    Nihil Obstat Ben

Hands down, I always get the best shave from Proraso products, and I've tried just about everything! As for the smell, which I do seem to enjoy, I can't find anything that smells like it other than Vicks Vapour Rub...( slap some of that stuff around your neck and help your co-workers breath easy during cold season) Good thing that the smell of Proraso dosn't last too long, so clashing with SOTD never seems to have been an issue. I find that it does compliment Citrus, Pine type frags though. Paco PH, CD Eau Savage, Aramis, Pino Sylvestre, Guerlain Vetiver. As for being a pre/post shave product, works great!
    vgmac

Another Proraso user/lover here. I used the pre-shave cream for a while, then I switched to plain old US Noxzema as a pre-shave. The scent is somewhat different from Proraso, but still in the same astringent camphor family.

Although - I'm working my way through a tub of Nancy Boy shaving cream (their Signature scent) and it's GREAT (both in terms of scent and in shaving effectiveness).

Strong eucalyptus notes don't seem to be very common in perfumery. My only suggestion was body kouros as well. Might I suggest layering it with something that has the other characteristics you are looking for?

I haven't smelled Proraso so I might be way off base here, but I think LesNez's "The Unicorn Spell" might give you that effect. It's not eucalyptusy or mentholly, but does have a mint note along with a lot of iris and violet. I find a spray to the neck gives my nose a real tickle as the overall effect of the scent is quite cold and even a bit 'harsh' (not in a bad way, but not blended into the banality of smoothness of most scents.)

Other than that, you might want to look into some natural perfumes. I know I've ended up with many a blend that was too camphoraceous to have any kind of general appeal. Maybe I should rethink that though (heck, people buy things like The Unicorn Spell and L'Anarchiste, both of which have a 'stinging' quality to them.)

Basenotes Member

Thumbs up Re: That Proraso smell

Hey fakepurseninja,

Try Floyde pre-shave. It a very good price and a good product. Not like the creams or thick oils, Floyd slides on you fase, smells great and does not clog your razor blades.

I shave my face twice, I use to use shaving cream both times, but not after the first shave, I add a few more drops of the Floid pre-shave and man, do I end up with a clean, close shave. I do not think you'll be dissapointed using Floyd pre-shave.

Hopefully he has found what he was looking for after 5 years.

Quote Originally Posted by hednic View Post
    Naw. No EdTs smell like Proraso so he's still looking for sure.

Basenotes Member

Quote Originally Posted by hednic View Post
    If he did, it's not as good as Floyd pre shave so hopefully he will see this and take my advise.