Code of Conduct

Default Essence and Alchemy

I am reading this book Essence and Alchemy and it is a facinating read. I want to learn more about several things it covers, one being the mood and aromatherapy of fragrance notes. I raced off to the health food store to see if Clary Sage and geranium oils actually do tend to relax and balance a person. Well, for this evening yes, I smell deeply each arm and feel relaxed. If anyone knows of a calming and relaxing note for my eleven year old "nervous stomach" easily stressed out son I would be most appreciative. Any other suggested reading?

Default Re: Essence and Alchemy

I'm no expert, but I know that peppermint is recommended to calm a nervous stomach.

Fennel and chamomile are others. But avoid lavender because it contains phytoestrogens and has been linked to abnormal breast development in young boys (source: BBC).

Essence and Alchemy is excellent but the books you need are:

The Fragrant Mind by Valerie Ann Wormwood

The Complete Book of Essential Oils by Valerie Ann Wormwood

The Illustrated Encyclopedia of Essential Oils by Julia Lawless

Scents and Scentuality by V A Wormwood is also excellent.
    It's not getting what you want -- it's wanting what you've got.

Loukomi,
    Essence and Alchemy is a great read! If you want to delve deeper into understanding the effect of essential oils on the mood I highly recommend Julia Lawless' "Aromatherapy and the Mind"
    http://www.amazon.com/Aromatherapy-M...e=UTF8&s=books
    It has excellent articles about the subject, as well as detailed use of the essential oils most effective in certain emotional and nervous-system related conditions.

Chamomile and fennel are great ideas for upset stomach and so is peppermint, when the condition is not necessarily stress related.

For the stress itself, based on Julie Lawless other excellent book "The Encyclopedia of Essential Oils", to calm anxiety the most effective oils are:
    Lemon Balm
    Bergamot
    True Lavender (nos spike lavender)
    Ylang Ylang
    She also recommend Frankincense, but I wouldn't use this for childre. I think it's too strong for them.

Be sure to use the oils in very small quantities, especially for your child. For anxiety the recommended use of the above oils is massage, bath or vaporization. I really recommend you get that book to know how to use the oils safely. For children use the smallest quantity possible of oils. These are very very potent!

For bath for children, you have to mix the oils first in milk and than add them to the bath. I can't find the exact ratios now, and that's why I recommend having a reliable reference book around.

Quote Originally Posted by Elf
    Fennel and chamomile are others. But avoid lavender because it contains phytoestrogens and has been linked to abnormal breast development in young boys (source: BBC).
    I believe you refer to the content published on this article:
    http://www.forbes.com/forbeslife/hea...out533503.html

It was talking about repeated use of body products scented with lavender and tea tree oil.

I wouldn't go as far as not using lavender to calm young boys. It's one of the most effective oils, and safe oils to use ever.

Also, they weren't clear if these two (tea tree oil and lavender oil) were used together or not either, so I don't think that can be enough to blame it all on lavender. Tea tree oil, though, is a different story. There is a lot less information about its use.

They said they found an *association* but they could't prove causality. I wouldn't worry about this too much.

Also, the phenomenon, as the article states, is very rare, and I am quoting from there:
    "The condition is unusual. "I may see a patient every year or every other year with this, a pre-pubertal boy who has some breast development," Reiter said. "Usually, it's a tiny amount, and you never find out what it is, then it goes away," he explained."

Lavender was used for centuries if not longer by people around the world, partiuclarly in Britain. Wit due respect to BBC, I wouldn't take that too seriously. If used properly, lavender is one of the safest oils ever. Recently, it has been questioned and it's reputation has been slightly disturbed. But I would follow the hundreds of years of positive and amazingly effective use of lavender in calming people and not be too worried just because of one article.
    Ayala Moriel, Perfumer
    Ayala Moriel Parfums http://www.ayalamoriel.com/
    Visit my SmellyBlog: http://www.smellyblog.com/

I'm glad to read your post on lavender because I was worried, and it is one of my favorites, and so calming to people as well. In addition, my son chose it as a heart note for his signature scent, Alchemist! I didn't know what to tell him, so I just said, well, don't use it too much!! Tea tree oil certainly seems to be the stronger stuff of the two. Thanks!

Thanks all! to pluran and ayala for excellent book recommendations i am off to Amazon.

Hmmmm as a breast cancer survivor, I am interested in the lavender phytoestrogen connection. I will read about this further. I love lavender oil I brought some back from Provence. I don't want to be afraid to use it.

Quote Originally Posted by Elf
    I'm glad to read your post on lavender because I was worried, and it is one of my favorites, and so calming to people as well. In addition, my son chose it as a heart note for his signature scent, Alchemist! I didn't know what to tell him, so I just said, well, don't use it too much!! Tea tree oil certainly seems to be the stronger stuff of the two. Thanks!
    That is a really good book to learn the basics of natural perfumery. Using essential oils can be tricky because you need to consider the contra indications, the age of the user, etc. I have been an aromatherapist and natural perfumer for 13 years and I still review to "The Essential Oils Safety Book" by Tisserand, and others by Dr Kurt Schnaubelt. In his course work he describes lavender as a baby safe oil. It is an oil that is an adaptogenic or balancing oil. Lavender is calming if stressed and it can also be stimulating if your body needs that. I tell my natural perfume students to use to round out perfumes. It takes the harsh edge off.

Some of the aromatherapy / essential oil authors I trust are Robert Tisserand, Dr Kurt Schnaubelt, and Valerie Worwood.
    JoAnne Bassett, Perfumer
    http://www.JoAnneBassett.com

Question Re: Essence and Alchemy

This thread interests me, as I use essential oil blends in my massage therapy practice and only recently have become interested in perfumes. My question is what are the differences between the elements used in many of the perfumes discussed here and essential oils? On a personal note, I found that my reactions to essential oils on me are somewhat "gentler" for want of a better adjective and not as long lasting as , for example, the Caron scents I have been sampling. Both are just as evocative, however.
    Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by rtamara41
    This thread interests me, as I use essential oil blends in my massage therapy practice and only recently have become interested in perfumes. My question is what are the differences between the elements used in many of the perfumes discussed here and essential oils? On a personal note, I found that my reactions to essential oils on me are somewhat "gentler" for want of a better adjective and not as long lasting as , for example, the Caron scents I have been sampling. Both are just as evocative, however.
    Thanks.
    The essential oils are used in aromatherapy and have healing properties. The fragrance oils used in commercial perfumes smell good (which is a sort of aromatherapy in itself if it makes you feel good) but have not been shown to have healing properties as the natural essential oils.

The essential oil and natural perfumes and eau de toilettes are not as cloying and strong. Some of the perfumes in jojoba can last a long time on your skin but they really just fragrance the area around you and not the room. The fragrances made with real patchouli can last several days. It is very tenacious.
    JoAnne Bassett, Perfumer
    http://www.JoAnneBassett.com

Quote Originally Posted by Loukoumi
    If anyone knows of a calming and relaxing note for my eleven year old "nervous stomach" easily stressed out son I would be most appreciative. Any other suggested reading?
    Curing with aromatherapy is very easy, finding good essential oils to use in aromatherapy is more difficult.
    Any pain of the stomach can be easily calmed in 3 minutes with 3 drops of (good) peppermint. Drop them on a tiny piece of bread, swallow it without chewing an drink a sip of warm water over it.
    The receips is originally from J. Lawless, the fragrant Pharmacy. I have experimented it many times in the past years, on myself and others, even on children (one drop) of 6 or seven years (my own) always with an immediate effect.
    Remember though that with a bad quality essential oil you could worsen the problem.
    The best peppermints are Mitcham peppermint and Italian Piemonte peppermint.
    Salaam

Quote Originally Posted by JoAnne
    The essential oils are used in aromatherapy and have healing properties. The fragrance oils used in commercial perfumes smell good (which is a sort of aromatherapy in itself if it makes you feel good) but have not been shown to have healing properties as the natural essential oils.

The essential oil and natural perfumes and eau de toilettes are not as cloying and strong. Some of the perfumes in jojoba can last a long time on your skin but they really just fragrance the area around you and not the room. The fragrances made with real patchouli can last several days. It is very tenacious.
    A doula (birth support person) gave me a blend of essential oils that had ylang ylang and rosemary and other oils in it to help ease labor. I found it to be very soothing and supportive of "letting go"...to this day those aromas please me very much. Many of the commercial fragrances I have tested give me a headache, some do not. I wonder if this has to do with the processing or a particular note in particular perfumes.
    "Like a lobster with a pearl in its claw, the beet held the jasmine firmly without crushing or obscuring it. Beet lifted jasmine, the way a bullnecked partner lifts a ballerina, and the pair came on stage on citron's fluty cue. As if jasmine were a collection of beautiful paintings, beet hung it in the galleries of the nose, insured it against fire or theft, threw a party to celebrate it. Citron mailed the invitations." Jitterbug Perfume by Tom Robbins p. 189

What I am loving right now: Shalimar vintage extrait, Chanel Bois des Iles, Chanel no. 22, Le Labo Iris 39, Guerlain Iris Ganache

Since I do not plan to keep the book, i am going to give away a copy of Essence and Alchemy by Mandy Aftel. if more than one interested person by noon tomorrow, I'll draw randomly. US only, or it'll cost to much to ship.

cacio