Code of Conduct

Default Haircolour and perfume?

My aunt gave me and my sister perfume for last christmas.My sister is a brunette,I'm blonde(but like being a redhead,so I have been for some years now) My aunt seems to be of the opinion that floral and lighter scents is best suited for me,and my sister can wear "richer"scents....So,she gave me Angel and my sister Trouble.Anyway....I like both,but my sis prefer more floral and lighter scents. So,I guess my question is. What do you people think about this? In general I'm very drawn towards orientals or florientals....+Floral chypres. Is there some kind of unwritten "rule" about this?

Default Re: Haircolour and perfume?

No, sorry, it's nonsense. Rubbish.

Each person knows his or her own tastes, and -- if not -- can find them over time with experimentation and maturity. A good nose helps, but so does knowing how things react with your own body chemistry, observing other people's reactions, and having confidence to wear what you like, not simply what others wear or tell you to wear.

The hair color and skin tone "arguments" hold about as much air as the "arguments" that black cats are bad luck, and that "Tuesday's child is fair of face."

It's a very antiquated "rule" that nobody pays any attention to any longer (if they ever actually did). I have a very fair blonde/blue eyed friend who always gravitates to the richest orientals. They always smell great on her. I'm fair/red headed and I'm all over the map. A dark friend of mine enjoys very light clean fragrances, and she always smells good too. Wear what you like and enjoy! I'm sure you will smell nice anyway.

I can really only carry woody orientals, heavier scents, spicy stuff, and I'm a tiny, fair-haired little thing. Go figure, everyone's chemistry is different, and everyone has different preferences. A tall, willowy brunette friend can't wear anything heavier than osmanthus. There's no real set of rules here for particular coloring. It's so individual.

No rules, dear. Go ahead and let your nose be your guide. You can also wear all shades of white after the first week of September.

Quote Originally Posted by tvlampboy
    No, sorry, it's nonsense.
    I think the same...how can we put millions and millions of women in the same category?
    Everyone in this world doesn' have the same chemistry (not even twins), no two blondes will smell the same, so it feels more like an urban legend.
    It's fun sometimes to think that way because you might feel part of a group, but that can have some tints of discrimination that i don't like very much.

Default Re: Hair color and perfume?

Unless you're in the South -- then no white shoes after Labor Day.

Peggy: "Right now, we have to get to the mental institution. Something terrible has happened."
    Latrelle: "What?"
    Peggy: "Brother Boy has tried to kill himself. He jumped out of his bedroom window."
    Latrelle: "Isn't he only on the second floor?"
    Peggy: "Yes, but he hit his head on a lawn gnome."
    Fr. Sordid Lives: The Series
    "Live, live, live! Life is a banquet, and most poor suckers are starving to death."
    Auntie Mame
    [/B]

Even if there were rules... they would be meant for braking... especially in this case! when we are talking about one of my greatest enjoyments . It would be so sad if I could not wear an occasional floral... I love variety and that's wherein the key lies for me at least .
    "Of the five senses, the sense of smell is incontestably the one that best conveys a sense of immortality."

Salvador Dali

Thanks for the replies I must say I totally agree,and I do "break"that rule all the time Something my mom and aunt comments on,though:P I was just curious about what you others thought about the matter. F.ex...my last buy was Hypnotic Poison. I think what you wear/style and how you wear a fragrance is more important.I'm a hopless romantic and a bit "artistic",so I feel more comfortable with the "heavier" stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by ineespenes
    Thanks for the replies I must say I totally agree,and I do "break"that rule all the time Something my mom and aunt comments on,though:P I was just curious about what you others thought about the matter. F.ex...my last buy was Hypnotic Poison. I think what you wear/style and how you wear a fragrance is more important.I'm a hopless romantic and a bit "artistic",so I feel more comfortable with the "heavier" stuff.
    My dear ineespenes, I think you have excellent taste

I've just taken a quick peek at your wardrobe and LOVE all the fragrances you have!

Disclaimer: I might be biased
    "Of the five senses, the sense of smell is incontestably the one that best conveys a sense of immortality."

Salvador Dali

Generally the consensus seems to be on boards "wear what you like". (althugh I personally find it simplistic and a little dull to always read this in every situation and problem)

Since it's mostly our perception of a scent and not its complete breakdown of every nueance of interaction with our skin, I don't see this as a major problem.
    If you like for instance L'air du temps, but it's not made for your colouring and if you don't get any complaints about it (even though someone else might wear it better than you), I don't think it would deter you from wearing it, right? It's what you like MORE than what suits you. When the two combine of course you've got a winner ;-)

You might find this link interesting: it's about an experiment I conducted last year on board.

http://perfumeshrine.fortunecity.com/perfumeterms.html

Scroll down a bit to "Skin chemistry/Hair colour: do they affect how a perfume smells?"
    It might be of interest to you.
    Last edited by helg; 25th October 2006 at 05:02 PM.

I love hypnotic poison. I am tall, blond, fair complexion and I love scents that are potent. I have a good nose and can smell the lighter scents, but why? They can be wonderful on others, but I like the ones that let you know I'm coming. If I have to be in a crowded meeting or doctors office or some such place, I will tone it down for the sake of others, but when I am free, I love to pour it on. I like what I like no matter what anyone says I should like.