Code of Conduct

Default Getting a greater sense of smell.

It seems like I have a greater sense of smell since coming here and wearing cologne. I can't pick out what frag someone is wearing. But whenever someone walks past me I can detect a scent on them that they are wearing. Anyone else have a greater sense of smell since getting into colognes? What are some way I can get a greater sense of smell?

Default Re: Getting a greater sense of smell.

I don't think its an increase in sense of smell as much as paying more attention to what your nose has been telling you all along.
    There is no Nose....

I agree with OlfaOmega's point.

I do have one thing you can do: stop eating. I had an experience fasting (as in nothing but water) for 2+ days and on the second day noticed that my sense of smell had gotten *much* sharper. Obviously this doesn't make a permanent change in your sense of smell.

Or smoke. I've heard it said smokers have a great sense of smell! :-)

As OlfaOmega has said, I don't think there's really a way to improve your sense of smell in the physical way. But indeed, a lot of people are not very aware of what they smell but instead go "that smells good" or "that smells bad".

Once you start reading about notes, ingredients, etc. you will find out that something as simple as an orange can be included in a fragrance, and everyone knows what an orange smells like. Sooner or later you'll probably detect the note of an orange in scents, along with many more ingredients. This will, in my opinion, broaden your knowledge and help you better 'understand' fragrances. I think it's the only thing you can really do to 'improve'.
    "Perfume is the dream that carries me."

There is always the sky to look at

Quote Originally Posted by ifconfig
    Or smoke. I've heard it said smokers have a great sense of smell! :-)
    I'm inclined to agree.

good food, sleep, excercise/activity/movement, sex, laughter etc
    "...The history of perfumery before this subdivision of niche was manufactured, both literally and imaginatively, is a long one, with thousands upon thousands of fragrances. The true fragrance lover takes each fragrance one at a time, and examines it preferably outside of the imaginatively manufactured categories and, in doing so, builds up a steady, informed basis for seasoned comparative judgments based on the sampling and information gathered from such sampling. This is why any one on the board who ever has anything particular interesting to say about fragrances as fragrances rather than as categorical constructs always has an abiding interest and passion for all kinds of fragrances and not just a narrow niche of fragrances. Conversely, the "niche whores," the more and more narrow their interests become, the more and more they mimic the ad copy of the very companies they worship. I know whose posts I like to read..."

“Perfume is decidedly not about two things: it isn’t about memory and it isn’t about sex. Perfume is about beauty and intellect,” .......... “A perfume is a message in a bottle—not a smell—and the message is written by the perfumer and read by the person who smells it.”

Book recommendations:

Perfumes: The A-Z Guide
    The Emperor of Scent
    The Perfect Scent
    Scent and Chemistry

Feeding the Monster: IFRA and the EU Parliament
    www.firstnerve.com/2013/06/feeding-monster-ifra-and-eu-parliament.html

-http://www.firstnerve.com/2013/06/feeding-monster-ifra-and-eu-parliament.html