Code of Conduct

Thread: Aomassai?

Default Aomassai?

Anyone tried this one yet?

Dan
    "We are fast approaching the stage of the ultimate inversion: the stage where the government is free to do anything it pleases, while the citizens may act only by permission; which is the stage of the darkest periods of human history, the stage of rule by brute force." Ayn Rand...

"The essence of fascism is to make laws forbidding everything and then enforce them selectively against your enemies."

Daily Wardrobe

Default Re: Aomassai?

It sounds very handsome.
    For $3 I'm tempted to buy a sample!

I just ordered the samples from Luckyscent.com. I will report back.

This is a really dark, thick scent! It has a sweet/foody vibe to it with its caramel and toasted hazelnut notes, but this is nicely balanced by a very strong, almost acrid (but in a good way) burning-wood note. The toasted hazelnut note is similar to SL's Chypre Rouge's pecan note, whereas Aomassai's "burning note" brings to mind Angel Man's tar note. There's also quite a bit of L'Artisan Navigateur's pungent, bitter coffee and dark woods. Similar in mood to CdG Kyoto, but sweeter and more foody.

...if you like any of the above, I'd imagine you might like Aomassai, but for me it was just too sweet ... I've had bad luck with Parfumerie Generale's offerings so far: haven't found one I've liked much ...
    ..."net", not "naut".

Well, I love A*Men but I hate Navi .

Thanks for the review
    "We are fast approaching the stage of the ultimate inversion: the stage where the government is free to do anything it pleases, while the citizens may act only by permission; which is the stage of the darkest periods of human history, the stage of rule by brute force." Ayn Rand...

"The essence of fascism is to make laws forbidding everything and then enforce them selectively against your enemies."

Daily Wardrobe

This is a lovely oriental gourmand. Starts out like a thick hazelnut-caramel syrup, and adds a little more spice and woods in the drydown - reminds me of ebony-sculptures..An absolutely delicious and original scent...

Thumbs up for this one from me too!

I am not a gourmand lover but this one just seems perfect. It dries down to a lovely warm and earthy patchouli base on me.

I'm utterly addicted to Aomassai. Starts out so sweet it's almost unbearable, but loses the sticky notes almost immediately. Dark woods and nuttiness, hints of liquorice. Lovers of New Haarlem and Un Bois Vanille would enjoy this, I think.

Blog Entries

Thumbs up Aomassai.

I tried a sample today of Parfumerie Generale's Aomassai. I think this is the best gourmand fragrance I have ever worn. The dark burnt caramel and licorice is AMAZING! Totally rad. You have to try this one if you have not. I could see ordering a liter or two of this. Four N_Tesla stars for this fragrance. I hope the ants at the pick nik don't catch up with me. (LOL)
    Last edited by N_Tesla; 27th December 2009 at 09:47 PM.

Default Re: Aomassai.

This one is a stunner for sure, probably my favorite PG (after Haramens).

Yep a top 3 gourmand IMO.
    <><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><> <><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><>

Obsessions of the Moment- Kristiansand EDC, Green Irish Tweed, Zizan

Granted, we've known each other for some time. It don't take a whole day to recognize sunshine. ~ Common Sense

I could not stomach the opening even for a few minutes! I remember it smelling like a creme brulee! But it sure has its fans!

I think it's amazing, too -- a gourmand masterpiece. I don't reach for it often though, and I'm not sure why.

Basenotes Institution

It is my favorite PG scent. Mind you, I have not tested a lot of the line, but from the handful I have, this really wowed me.

When I make homemade praline cookies, it requires that you cook sugar and heavy cream at a very high boiling temperature for a few minutes (stirring very quickly, so as not to burn) and the smell this process conjures up comes close to the smell of the burnt caramel in Aomassai. Some might see this as a turn-off. I, on the other hand, love it.

All lovers of gourmand scents owe it to themselves to check this scent out.

Agreed, I love it too

PVC and Leather. A Chain and a feather

Some people are lucky to live near sweets factory - others needs to buy Aomassai PG
    Vetiver The Great!!!

I, too, sampled this earlier in the month. Big caramel opening which quietens down after a while. I thought it was a stunning frag.

Aomassai is so awesomely gud, takes time to appreciate this weird frag though !
    AUSSIES, come join our SPLIT GROUP at http://groups.google.com.au/group/oz-scent-splits

"No Pain, No Gain"

I've been dying to try this one! Two of my top 5 are New Haarlem and Chergui so I think this would be right up my alley. On that note, I will take this opportunity to invite anybody who might have Aomassi available for swap to check out the link in my signature below.

How are the sillage and longevity? Also, does it lean towards the masculine or feminine side of the spectrum?

- Brad
    TOP 10
    1. Eau Noire Cologne by Christian Dior
    2. Lumičre Noire pour Homme by Maison Francis Kurkdjian
    3. New Haarlem by Bond No. 9
    4. Chergui by Serge Lutens Les Salons du Palais Royal Shiseido
    5. Francois Charles by Rance 1795
    6. Puro Intense by Nejma
    7. Usiku by Jo Wood Organics
    8. New York by Parfums de Nicolai
    9. Dia For Men by Amouage
    10. Silver Mountain Water by Creed

Check out my huge niche swap list at http://community.basenotes.net/showthread.php?t=239240

I am a convert!!! I had a 2ml sample of Aomassai that I wore as my sotd and I was constantly getting twists and turns about every five minutes! It's that complex!! It transforms from an incredibly dense, thick, caramel-laden toffee note quickly to a peppery incense then off to a leather that reminded me heavily of Reve en Cuir, then to a weird floral note that smelt like lily then finally to a base of transparent vanilla that reminded me of Vanille Galante. I eat my words LOL

One of my favorite gourmands for autum , My number One Gourmand is Cuir Beluga
    Looking for Creed Spice & Wood / swap fragances , Creed Vingate Tabarome and more... http://www.basenotes.net/threads/374...me-Cuir-Beluga

I agree with the majority here - a fantastic fragrance! I even like the crazy (well, it's not that crazy, maybe more of a surprise - like I was smelling Demeter Caramel or something) opening and the dry down is pretty unique too. Sort of slightly caramelized, licorice, wheaty, earthy smell. Definetely one of my recent favourites.

One of my personal faves. Certainly the best gourmand.

Also ranks high on my list of scents coming out of this house.

Banned

Great stuff and very typical of PG's gourmands. Aomassai is a bit heavy for wearing in all but the coldest weather (for me), but Cadjmere and Coze are similarly good with more versatility. As a general matter I like gourmands but rarely find myself wanting to wear them.....

Quote Originally Posted by nineXseven View Post
    Great stuff and very typical of PG's gourmands. Aomassai is a bit heavy for wearing in all but the coldest weather (for me), but Cadjmere and Coze are similarly good with more versatility. As a general matter I like gourmands but rarely find myself wanting to wear them.....
    Mmm Coze is lovely. Not so fond of Cadjmere. Have you tried L'eau Guerriere? Another great PG.

Banned

Not a fan of Guerriere but I can recognize why people would like it. PGs tend to be love/hate with me - either I really like them or I don't like them at all. There are few I'm just indifferent about. Bois Blond? Great! Rare Metal? Terrible... I'm about 50/50 with the whole line....

Nasty opening, lovely dry down....still not sure about it

Quote Originally Posted by nineXseven View Post
    Not a fan of Guerriere but I can recognize why people would like it. PGs tend to be love/hate with me - either I really like them or I don't like them at all. There are few I'm just indifferent about. Bois Blond? Great! Rare Metal? Terrible... I'm about 50/50 with the whole line....
    Cedre Sanderaque?Think that's the only other I've tried. Just ordered a full bottle of Coze, had forgotten just how good it is )

Banned

Love Cedre Sandaraque - great stuff. Besides the others I mentioned I like L'Oiseau de Nuit, L'Ombre Fauve, Louanges, Cuir d'Iris, Brulure de Rose, Ether de Lilas plus a few others I'm not remembering. Felanilla is OK - I guess that's one I'm indifferent about. The last two new ones were awful - the gardenia one and the fig one Bois Naufrage. I hear there are two new PGs coming including a tonka-based one.

Kicking myself............I should have ordered a sample of L'ombre Fauve whilst I was at it.

Blog Entries

Interesting to see the thread rejuvenated. I own a full bottle of Aomassai now and, coincidentally, I am wearing it today. I have not changed my mind, this is IMO the best gourmand fragrance I have ever experienced.

I haven`t tested this fragrance, but I`m sure it smells good. But do you want to smell like some food? I love caramels and licorice, but I`m not sure that I want to smell like it! ;-)

I have no way to describe Aomassai but it's a cool/grey day here today and I wore it to the store and I received an enthusiastic compliment/inquiry (from a guy no less) on it, even wrote down Parfumerie Generale at his request. I think it's the ultimate PG, barely nudging out Bois Blond and L'ombre Fauve which can both grow a bit tiresome as they wear (at least to me). If you've yet to try Aomassai I strongly recommend sampling it. There is an edible quality to it but I don't know if I'd consider it a gourmand. To me it is a very intriguing scent that draws attention and curiosity

It's one of PG's best scents IMO.

Quote Originally Posted by flouris View Post
    I have no way to describe Aomassai but it's a cool/grey day here today and I wore it to the store and I received an enthusiastic compliment/inquiry (from a guy no less) on it, even wrote down Parfumerie Generale at his request. I think it's the ultimate PG, barely nudging out Bois Blond and L'ombre Fauve which can both grow a bit tiresome as they wear (at least to me). If you've yet to try Aomassai I strongly recommend sampling it. There is an edible quality to it but I don't know if I'd consider it a gourmand. To me it is a very intriguing scent that draws attention and curiosity
    Well said Flouris. Aomassai brings the gourmand genre to a completely higher level...A much underrated fragrance and one of the most interesting takes in its cathegory.

Discover my Guest Reviewer Of The Day here

It has been a while since I've smelled this one, but my memory tells me that I mentally filed it in the 'cake batter' genre (like Montale's Chocolate Greedy without the cocoa)

I like PG though. His stuff is weird in a good way!

As soon as I made the connection with IKEA's scented vanilla candles, I couldn't think of anything else upon smelling Aomassai. With that said, it's not particulary bad (nor are the candles), but as with L'Artisan's famous Vanilia, this one didn't rock my boat.
    Last edited by Noalick; 16th July 2012 at 08:16 PM.
    "- Harry, I have no idea where this will lead us, but I have a definite feeling it will be a place both wonderful and strange."

I think this will be my SOTD tomorrow.