Code of Conduct

Default Dior Homme Smell-a-like?

I'm going fragrance "browsing"/buying tomorrow.
    Actually, I'm desperate for a purchase.

I really really really really adooorree Dior Homme, especially the powdery woodiness of it all.

However, I cannot bring myself to buy a fragrance that I've already given as a gift to somebody else. (tsk. I'm so selfish that everything I give away is something I'd rather have myself :P)

Is there any fragrance out there to fill my void. Apparently Hanae Mori smells similar. And I find that Bois d'Argent also smells quite powdery.

Powdered wood.
    Wood powder.
    There must be something out there!

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Dior Homme Smell-a-like?

Fresh Cannabis Santal is quite similar.

Does that smell at all like cannabis (which i find rather pleasant, as a smell, were it not for drug-connotations)?

Post Thanks / Like

What about Burberry Brit?

orrrr lets see Chanel PM certainly has powder, but not much wood really...but then I don't get much wood in Dior Homme either.

Yeah, powdery scents aren't really my forte so that's all I can think of right now
    "It's not what you look like when you're doing what you're doing; it's what you're doing when you're doing what you look like you're doing."

Post Thanks / Like

cannabis santal?! i dunno, dior homme I love, but CS made me gag. i don't see any resemblance whatsoever. just my $.02...
    baald

Buy my extra scents - mainly niche - over 50 items (tiny bottles)

Quote Originally Posted by baald
    cannabis santal?! i dunno, dior homme I love, but CS made me gag. i don't see any resemblance whatsoever. just my $.02...
    Yeah, These seem pretty different to me too.
    I also adore Dior Homme. You might want to try a couple of the pupolar Iris fragrances, especially The Different Company's Bois d'Iris. It has some of that powdery floral woody thing going on, though it is a much more pure Iris fragrance than Dior Homme. Strangely, my wife finds Bois d'Iris more masculine on me than Dior Homme, which she thinks is a bit feminine (I disagree with her, but value her input).

-Slim

Post Thanks / Like

You know what really smells like Dior Homme and is twice as expensive? Cuir Ottoman? I couldn't believe it when i smelt the sample.

Post Thanks / Like

By smell-a-like, do you mean that you are looking for a scent which has that same make-up accord as in Dior Homme, or a better Iris scent?

Iris Bleu Gris by MPG might be worth a shot if you are looking for a great Iris scent - it contains a raw earthy iris note which smells fantastic. None of that silly make-up accord here.
    -

Second the Brit. Quite close to Dior Homme, but without that makeup note.

The closest one can come is Dior's own Bois d'Argent in my opinion.

For a non sweet take on the fragrance, Divine l'Homme de Cœur is the deal.

Post Thanks / Like

you could also look into L'Instant

Post Thanks / Like

Oh, just buy Dior Homme. I've bought two bottles since it came out.

It's silly to deny yourself just because you've purchased it for a friend.

Really. If it's good enough for your friend then surely it's good enough for you.
    Do it!
    Last edited by graffham; 26th October 2006 at 02:05 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

After a time a definitely feel similarity with A*men.

Post Thanks / Like

Personally I think Brit for Men is a more interesting scent than Dior Homme! There are similarities between them; Brit doesn't have the iris though, just the foody bit. More of a gingerbread flavour in the Brit compared to the chocolate-ness of the DH.

For a truly wonderful iris I would suggest L'Homme de Coeur by Divine. The finest dark chocolate? Coze by Parfumeries Generale.
    My Current Top 5: Terre d'Hermès | Terre de Bois by Miller Harris | Isfarkand by Ormonde Jayne | Brit for Men by Burberry | Grapefruit by Jo Malone

Wardrobe / Reviews

Quote Originally Posted by shifts
    The closest one can come is Dior's own Bois d'Argent in my opinion.

For a non sweet take on the fragrance, Divine l'Homme de Cœur is the deal.
    While I don't see the resemblance with Bois d'Argent, I agree on L'Homme de Coeur having the same powderness.
    Another one I advise you to try is Hermes Hiris, it's marketed for women, but it's not feminine or girlish at all and has the same butterness of Dior Homme.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by graffham
    Oh, just buy Dior Homme. I've bought two bottles since it came out.

It's silly to deny yourself just because you've purchased it for a friend.

Really. If it's good enough for your friend then surely it's good enough for you.
    Do it!
    This was exactly what I was gonna say. Just go buy it !

Ahh. It seems that everything else is much more expensive. ehe....
    Except for Burberry Brit.

So I shall try that out, or just. buy DH anyway.
    God I'm indecisive.

If you have no problem wearing womens scents then L'Heure Bleue by Guerlain is definitely worth a try.

By the way: Cannot see how Brit can be even close to Homme?

Mic.

Post Thanks / Like

^I also don't think Brit is anywhere near as pleasant and creative as Dior Homme. I recommended it because there are similiarities there, but I would recommend just getting the Dior if it doesn't trouble you too much.

re Joel_Cairo's recommendation: L'Instant is nice, if a little too sweet on me. I don't get the Dior likeness, but you might try it. The only commonality I see is their subtle powdery drydowns, with the Guerlain including more spice, and the Dior with more of a caramel note. I would put L'Instant closer to Le Male actually, with its minty sweet topnotes, but it's obviously much more refined and smooth.

I found Divine L'Homme de Coeur to actually be a very fresh scent. The iris is the only thing it has in common with Dior IMO. When I wear the Divine, I picture something like GIT + iris and powder. Weird stuff, but good. Also, it's very expensive.
    "It's not what you look like when you're doing what you're doing; it's what you're doing when you're doing what you look like you're doing."

Post Thanks / Like

Yea, Brit is nowhere near the complexity/quality of Dior Homme IMO. Just get Dior Homme. Why be only partially satisfied when you can get the fragrance you really want and be completely satisfied with your purchase. If you really want something, go for it, even if someone else has it already.

I prefer Brit over Dior Homme. The latter is, on the one hand, too quiet, and on the other I feel it's too suity, I don't feel it fits my style. Versatility is always a plus for small-wardrobe-guys like me, and I find Brit to be extremely versatile.

As for comparing L'Instant to Le Male, I think L'Instant is way way closer to Envy. While you say it's more refined and smooth than Le Male, I'll say it's a bit less compelling than the JPG. Not flashy enough for clubbing, not casual enough for work, not sexy enough for dates.. I have once contemplated getting L'Instant, but it just doesn't make sense to me. I'll agree though (sniffing a drop of L'Instant on my wrist) that it's also not too far away from Dior Homme.