Code of Conduct

Talking En Avion and Tabac Blond

Bufalo Gals generously sent me a sample of En Avion, which I could not resist trying today, and I was in flight!
    It is more decidedly feminine than hermaphroditic Tabac Blond, softer, more powdery, but with that tad bit of soft leather underneath that is somewhat grounding.
    So unique, I just loved it. More civilized than the Tabac Blond, I would say, and more Lady like, less "dirty" but still sensual. I felt wonderful wearing it all day. I had a friend of mine sniff my wrist and he said it reminded him of the incense in a church, that it was very deep and intense. This is part of it, too. I spent a lot of my childhood in catholic churches, I wonder if the association is one of the reasons it touches me so. I like how there are lots of parts to this scent. I like the complexity. Is this what is referred to as a "nonlinear" scent? I would guess so.

LOVED it. Oh dear, what have I gotten myself into? The Parfum Sacre experience still awaits me. I vow not to buy a rose fragrance until I have at least tried the Sacre. Bulgari calls from me in the wings, but I shall resist!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Lean in closer, dear
    Blog Entries

Default Re: En Avion and Tabac Blond

My Caron samples arrived yesterday, and I'm feeling like a freak. Really disliked them. En Avion's clove note scarred me like a branding iron inside my nostrils. The desired leather note was fleeting.

Of course I'm going to give each of them time to audition for me singly over time, but I'm pessimistic (En Avion, Or et Noir, Narcisse Blanc, Pour Une Femme de Caron). Acaciosa at least wasn't injurious, but my impression was it was bland. Damn chemistry and olfactory limitations !

My bottle of Narcisse Noir taught me there is another note to which I'm "blind": daffodil (narcissis). That joins the list of violet, iris, some lilies, moss, most powdery notes, and maybe honeysuckle.

Thanks for letting me on your shoulders, dearies.
    In a world where 6 million people are added each month, every landscape matters.

Oh yeah, that is definately what we refer to as non-linear--when it has different parts and changes over time.
    Parfum Sacre is another frankincense scent. I own it, I love it. (My church burned incense, too.) Realistic rose scents come from Les Parfums de Rosine. Google that one and get some samples, yum-yum. You'll love them.

Quote Originally Posted by Quarry
    My Caron samples arrived yesterday, and I'm feeling like a freak. Really disliked them. En Avion's clove note scarred me like a branding iron inside my nostrils. The desired leather note was fleeting.

Of course I'm going to give each of them time to audition for me singly over time, but I'm pessimistic (En Avion, Or et Noir, Narcisse Blanc, Pour Une Femme de Caron). Acaciosa at least wasn't injurious, but my impression was it was bland. Damn chemistry and olfactory limitations !

My bottle of Narcisse Noir taught me there is another note to which I'm "blind": daffodil (narcissis). That joins the list of violet, iris, some lilies, moss, most powdery notes, and maybe honeysuckle.

BLASPHEMY!!
    I had Or et Noir...hated it!! It was the smell of funeral roses, complete with the aroma of freshly dug grave.
    I LOOOOVE En Avion, I want to stockpile it. My next Caron purchase will be Narcisse Blanc, I love how cheerful it makes me feel.
    I have never tried Une Femme de Caron.
    Tabac Blond has the sexiest drydown EVER! Its the topnotes I have a hard time with

Lean in closer, dear
    Blog Entries

Or et Noir--the first fragrance to move me to poetry for its morose composition.

Dim attic. Ancestor's chest.
    Nectar exhausted, rose petals pressed.
    Dead geranium, dried in its pot.
    Medicine bottle with smudged tin top.

Roller shade up, powder charges the light.
    Murphy's Oil Soap. Grime sliced.
    Brittle lace, unfit for auction.
    Inheritance. In heir: exhaustion.
    In a world where 6 million people are added each month, every landscape matters.

My Caron samples arrived yesterday, and I'm feeling like a freak. Really disliked them.
    Caron is a house that just doesn't work for me either. I have a bunch of their parfum samples that I got close to two years now I guess. I pull them out every once in a while and sample them in different seasons, hoping that one of them will eventually work. So far I've been disappointed though. They all seem very sophisticated and "grown up." Since I'm not getting any younger, I'm wondering how old will I have to be (or feel) before they start to work on me?
    Scent is such a lovely, simple pleasure!

Quarry,
    Don't give up on Caron so easily. Some of their scents work for me, some don't. The ones that do are amazing.

My personal favourites are Parfum Sacre (tried only the EDP), Nuit de Noel (parfum), Farnesiana (parfum is better than the EDP), N'Aimez que moi (parfum), Tabac Blond (parfum).

Narcisse Noir is very interesting in the parfum form, but a difficult one to wear in general. I think I like En Avion but havne't tried it enough times.

The one I had most trouble with was Nocturnes (too much aldehydes, too sweet, too much indole, it was just too much of everything; it's possible I have ruined it for myself by overapplying it once). Overall their scents are very dark, dense, complex. Be careful to apply sparingly - even the pure parfum has remarkable sillage. There were also a few others that I didn't care enough for, like Fleurs de Rocaille (the original formulation).

As for the daffodil or narcissus - they smell completely different as essences than the real flower. Also, there is not very much narcissus at all in Narcisse Noir, other than the name. Narcissus absolute is a bit like tuberose, but more green and powdery. It's none of the heady floral fresh attack you get from the fresh flowers.
    Ayala Moriel, Perfumer
    Ayala Moriel Parfums http://www.ayalamoriel.com/
    Visit my SmellyBlog: http://www.smellyblog.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Artisankey
    Caron is a house that just doesn't work for me either. I have a bunch of their parfum samples that I got close to two years now I guess. I pull them out every once in a while and sample them in different seasons, hoping that one of them will eventually work. So far I've been disappointed though. They all seem very sophisticated and "grown up." Since I'm not getting any younger, I'm wondering how old will I have to be (or feel) before they start to work on me?
    Too funny!

I'm wearing my Carons very smoothly (have and love Narcisse Noir, Nuit de Noël, Parfum Sacré, Poivre, Tabac Blond) but though I wore Chanel no 5 in my late teens and early twenties I feel the same about it as you feel about Carons.
    "I was so much older then I'm younger than that now..."
    "Wovon man nicht lesen kann, darüber muss man schreiben."

Quote Originally Posted by purplebird7
    Oh yeah, that is definately what we refer to as non-linear--when it has different parts and changes over time.
    Parfum Sacre is another frankincense scent. I own it, I love it. (My church burned incense, too.) Realistic rose scents come from Les Parfums de Rosine. Google that one and get some samples, yum-yum. You'll love them.
    Purplebird, is your name from the old Caron scent? I saw some vintage Caron ads online and there was one for Purplebird perfume...such a pretty image...is there a story behind this for you? Curious.
    Thanks for the tips...

Quarry, love your poem, though I haven't smelled that scent.
    Last edited by rtamara41; 27th October 2006 at 12:48 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by tinker424
    BLASPHEMY!!
    I had Or et Noir...hated it!! It was the smell of funeral roses, complete with the aroma of freshly dug grave.
    I LOOOOVE En Avion, I want to stockpile it. My next Caron purchase will be Narcisse Blanc, I love how cheerful it makes me feel.
    I have never tried Une Femme de Caron.
    Tabac Blond has the sexiest drydown EVER! Its the topnotes I have a hard time with
    Yes, En Avion stockpile is in my future. I just can't ignore how it made me feel. And I really agree with your comments about the Tabac Blond drydown. But my question is, WHEN is the drydown the drydown? I noticed after six or seven hours, the Tabac Blond seem to rest softly deeply and with a lovely powdery presence on my skin...it kept evolving...yum.

I found the best part of Tabac Blond about 8 hours into it.

Lean in closer, dear
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by rtamara41
    Quarry, love your poem, though I haven't smelled that scent.
    Shucks, thanks.

I'm another one who just can't wear Caron scents. In fact, En Avion is the only scent that manages to turn my stomach! I just find them too, too intense. I can appreciate them, but I don't necessarily want to smell of them.

Basenotes Institution

Wow - wearing En Avion tonight for the 1st time.

First: If I had sampled this last year, I would have scrubbd it off quickly. Since then I have come to regard powdery scents as non-threatening. I can tolerate the powdery vibe, as long as I know the scent is taking me down a road I want to travel on. The road EA is taking me on, is quite nice. No, not just nice - very beautiful.

I smell very little florals since the scent has plunged me into the middle of a pastry-like oriental (I'm reminded of L' Heure Bleue by Guerlain) full of Middle Eastern spices, sweet resins and powder. The absence of green notes in EA make it easy to classify it as a dark scent, but I'm sure the theme of darkness only feels that way to me as the wearer - my sillage is probably (due to the powder) a bit brighter and dare I say, matronly. How misleading, that would be, if one stopped at that.

I am not a fan of Caron - it's one of my difficult houses. I love and own vintage Yatagan and Tabac Blond, but so many of the others that everyone raves about just bore me to tears. But this one, it's got a Chesire-Cat-grin-meets-American-Psycho feel to it. I'm reminded of the way I felt, when I first tested No. 88. Evil. In a way.

One more thing: I am certain I was testing vintage juice. The juice was extremely dark and in just a few sprays I'm literally drenched in accords...I should have gone lighter on the trigger. But, oh my - how wonderful I smell!!
    Last edited by mikeperez23; 15th September 2009 at 04:46 AM.
    "The beginning of freedom is the realization that you are not the "thinker." The moment you start watching the thinker, a higher level of consciousness becomes activated. You then begin to realize that there is a vast realm of intelligence beyond thought, that thought is only a tiny aspect of that intelligence. You also realize that all the things that truly matter - beauty, love, creativity, joy, inner peace - arise from beyond the mind.

You begin to awaken"

-- Eckhart Tolle

Basenotes Institution

I adore En Avion and Tabac Blond ... I lurked at Fortnum and Mason's Caron counter for many days this year when I was in London. Sniffed and sprayed the pure parfum many a time on skin and paper -what bliss ..... I regret not buying any - very nearly did but I really had spent a huge amount on other perfumes by then. From first sniff, En Avion and Tabac Blond were heaven to me. No doubt one day when I am fated I will get a bottle of each.
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/370...o-Profumo-Onda
    For sale. Carnal Flower and Vero Profumo Onda.

Quote Originally Posted by rtamara41 View Post
    ...Oh dear, what have I gotten myself into?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Seriously! Caron was the first house I explored. I had to have Tabac Blond, and I have three other Carons besides in my 'drobe right now. Parfum Sacre is on my wishlist. Looks like I'm going to have to try En Avion as well, a more lady-like TB, you say? I'm telling ya, this house can do no wrong! The New York botique is like the mothership. I'll get there eventually.
    Last edited by Sunnyfunny; 15th September 2009 at 06:09 AM.

I adore the house of Caron.

TB is a love hate with me. Its the raw feel of pure animal which grates with me. I only ever had a sample and it just was too much most of the time, yet sometimes it settled beautifully. But was it worth it to fight with a parfum which seemed so tempermental.

I tried En Avion and adored it from first sniff. Rushed to buy it. EA is on me like TB without the raw tanners yard rush at the beginning. Its smoother and doesn't throw hissy fits of refusing to play nice when I try to wear it.
    DONNA

Basenotes Institution

Quote Originally Posted by donna255 View Post
    I adore the house of Caron.

EA is on me like TB without the raw tanners yard rush at the beginning. Its smoother and doesn't throw hissy fits of refusing to play nice when I try to wear it.
    This is true Donna but I still HAVE to have both eventually !
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/370...o-Profumo-Onda
    For sale. Carnal Flower and Vero Profumo Onda.

I LOVE some of the Caron's:
    Tabac Blond (have it)
    Farnesiana (wishlist)
    Sacre (have it)
    Aimez Moi (have it)

I do like En Avion, but will never buy it I think
    I hate Or et Noir
    I haven't tried them all yet
    My blog about perfume
    (Norwegian language)

Yummy, I love them both.
    Like Sunnyfunny, once I sniffed TB, I had to have it. Then I discovered Caron and my wallet drained quickly from then on.
    Last edited by dimples; 15th September 2009 at 06:39 PM.
    I'm simplifying my life. For Sale Thread (some niche, some designer):
    http://community.basenotes.net/showthread.php?t=222407