Code of Conduct

Default Pronunciation Question

I've been pronouncing "Knize" as "kuh-nee-tzuh" all these years. A friend recently corrected me, stating that it is pronounced "nee-tzay." I think he's full of it, but will leave this (trivial but plaguing) question to my fellow Basenoters. Hell, both he and I are probably wrong. (If I'm wrong -- and I probably am -- I'll be sure to flagellate myself when I get home and say "Mea culpa, mea culpa, mea maxima culpa" 50 times before bedtime.)

I see there was once a thread on this topic, but I can't seem to find it.

One source online said this was like "nice" with the kn- sound beforehand. Another hinted that the "k" was largely silent, but that the "tz" sound was more pronounced. (As in Yiddish, German's kissing cousin.) Dunno. My German vocabulary is limited to "spaetzle," "lager" and "gemutlich." (I'm far more at home with Yiddish -- gutturals, spitting and all.) Dorothy Parker once commented that (and I paraphrase here) German spoken sounds like so many machines working in unison. (And Mark Twain was even more pointed in his comments on matters related to Teutonic tongues.) I kinda have to agree with 'em both. Oh, well -- great freakin' juice here -- a 1924 classic from Osterreich!
    Last edited by tvlampboy; 26th October 2006 at 02:24 PM.

Peggy: "Right now, we have to get to the mental institution. Something terrible has happened."
    Latrelle: "What?"
    Peggy: "Brother Boy has tried to kill himself. He jumped out of his bedroom window."
    Latrelle: "Isn't he only on the second floor?"
    Peggy: "Yes, but he hit his head on a lawn gnome."
    Fr. Sordid Lives: The Series
    "Live, live, live! Life is a banquet, and most poor suckers are starving to death."
    Auntie Mame
    [/B]

Default Re: Pronunciation Question

Kneetz-'a' - like 'a' walk in the park, 'a' bottle of wine etc.
    K pronounced like the 'c' of coke.
    Definitely no -ay at the end, nor kuh at the beginning.(would look like kanizey in german, quite differint from knize).
    Have fun!

As far as I know it's perfectly fine to anglicize it, because an Englishman was involved in the company from the start. In German its approximately "Knee" as in Wounded knee, but with the k NOT silent plus "je" as in French "je t'aime".
    My Wardrobe
    II est de forts parfums pour qui toute matière/Est poreuse. On dirait qu'ils pénètrent le verre.

Red face Re: Pronunciation Question

Quote Originally Posted by tvlampboy
    I've been pronouncing "Knize" as "kuh-nee-tzuh" all these years. A friend recently corrected me, stating that it is pronounced "nee-tzay." I think he's full of it, but will leave this (trivial but plaguing) question to my fellow Basenoters. Hell, both he and I are probably wrong. (If I'm wrong -- and I probably am -- I'll be sure to flagellate myself when I get home and say "Mea culpa, mea culpa, mea maxima culpa" 50 times before bedtime.)

I see there was once a thread on this topic, but I can't seem to find it.

One source online said this was like "nice" with the kn- sound beforehand. Another hinted that the "k" was largely silent, but that the "tz" sound was more pronounced. (As in Yiddish, German's kissing cousin.) Dunno. My German vocabulary is limited to "spaetzle," "lager" and "gemutlich." (I'm far more at home with Yiddish -- gutturals, spitting and all.) Dorothy Parker once commented that (and I paraphrase here) German spoken sounds like so many machines working in unison. (And Mark Twain was even more pointed in his comments on matters related to Teutonic tongues.) I kinda have to agree with 'em both. Oh, well -- great freakin' juice here -- a 1924 classic from Osterreich!
    Hey, Knize is Slavonic (Immigrant to 'Imperial' Austria - Hungary) So even for Germans it's a bit of a myth. We say something like KNeesh, never so sure if it's 'correct'. Isn't Dr. Creed from Austria? If you consider that the scent names are English (Ten, Two, Lady Knize) then I do not see what should be wrong pronouncing it all the English way! No matter how - chances are the store does not carry them anyway!

http://community.basenotes.net/showt...801#post807801

BTW, by the sound of it Jiddish has 50% of common German vocabulary assimilated. You're doing fine with putz and schmuck, also in German. But do you know who schnuckiputzi is ?
    Last edited by narcus; 26th October 2006 at 04:02 PM.
    'Il mondo dei profumi è un universo senza limiti: una fraganza puo rievocare sensazioni, luoghi, persone o ancora condurre in uno spazio di nuove dimensioni emozionali' L. V.

Heck, I've always pronounced it "nize" in a way that rhymes with 'size'. Rolls of the tongue that way.

And I have yet to meet an SA who didn't pronounce Bois du Portugal as "boys duh Portugal' so I still think I'm ahead of the curve

-ben
    Nihil Obstat Ben

[url=http://www.basenotes.net/wardrobe/1883]My Wardrobe[/url]

If he's really of Slavonic descent (as I am, partly) than I would say he's pronounced in the way the_good_life suggested.