Code of Conduct

Default What's the Most You've Ever Plunked Down for One Scent?

A bottle of Malle at Barney's.com for me -- $180.00 plus shipping. I've often spent in the $100.00 to $150.00 range as needed, but not TOO often. I know that many of you heavyweights here on the board will quickly top my paltry $180.00, esp. for those of you who are into Clive Christians, Amouage scents, and rare, discontinued gems.

Just curious to see who's spent what on what, and why. (It's not a snob thing -- it's a love thing. We all make sacrifices to buy the truly great scents we love.)
    Last edited by tvlampboy; 26th October 2006 at 03:29 PM.

Peggy: "Right now, we have to get to the mental institution. Something terrible has happened."
    Latrelle: "What?"
    Peggy: "Brother Boy has tried to kill himself. He jumped out of his bedroom window."
    Latrelle: "Isn't he only on the second floor?"
    Peggy: "Yes, but he hit his head on a lawn gnome."
    Fr. Sordid Lives: The Series
    "Live, live, live! Life is a banquet, and most poor suckers are starving to death."
    Auntie Mame
    [/B]

Default Re: What's the Most You've Ever Plunked Down for One Scent?

The price of the Serge Lutens Palais Royal scents (100 €) is the official limit for me but I have made an exception of this rule three times: with Caron Nuit de Noël and Poivre parfum extraits and People of the Labyrinths Luctor et Emergo parfum.
    "Wovon man nicht lesen kann, darüber muss man schreiben."

Same as you ... a little under $200.00. Anything over that -- I would try to make do with samples or decants. The exception would be if I did find a "holy grail" type fragrance for over $200.00, I would buy the full bottle but then try to force myself to not buy anything else for a few months. This hasn't happened yet and I don't know if I could really do it!

Edit to add Ambre Narguile was my most expensive full bottle purchase.
    Last edited by Odorifera; 26th October 2006 at 03:41 PM.
    Beauty is an ecstasy; it is as simple as hunger.
    There is really nothing to be said about it.
    It is like the perfume of a rose: you can smell it and that is all.

--W. Somerset Maugham

My Wardrobe

Gotta be the $85 (after the exchange rate) for M7 Fresh at Selfridge's in London.

I'm summoning the cojones to plunk down $120 + shipping for Acqua di Biella from Luckyscent.

When I bought my 75ml bottle of Neroli Sauvage about 8 months ago or so, it was something like £85. That's the most I've spent on a bottle so far.

I'd like more Creeds, but the price makes it difficult to have more than one at a time!
    My Current Top 5: Terre d'Hermès | Terre de Bois by Miller Harris | Isfarkand by Ormonde Jayne | Brit for Men by Burberry | Grapefruit by Jo Malone

Wardrobe / Reviews

Creed's "Fleurs De Gardenia". $370 for a signed flacon and another $100 for an atomizer. Almost $500. It's exquisite.

70 EUR for 30ml GIT. Worth the price

I'd say $150 for some Creed, but I can't recall exactly. These days, even though I make a lot more money, I'm getting more conservative with my spending. I can't see going over $100 out-of-pocket, maybe more if I have sold a bunch of scents to raise some cash.

I try to be very patient and wait for scents to make it to Ebay.

No more $50 ties, $100 ink pens, $300 drivers, $150 shoes...man, I'm getting tight!

The scent I'd paid most for was a big bottle of Creed Erfola at A$151 (US$113) - but the spray didn't work well - so I sent it back and, as they were out of stock, they refunded the money.

But on a volume basis, the scent I'd paid most for was A$89 for a 50ml bottle of Yohji.

I've been very lucky, the scents normally considered very expensive I've managed to get relatively cheaply - my 120ml GIT cost me A$89, my MPGs cost me A$80, my Etros A$65, my Lorenzo Villoresi Vetiver A$80.
    Renato
    Last edited by Renato; 26th October 2006 at 04:03 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by BallRoom Dancer
    Creed's "Fleurs De Gardenia". $370 for a signed flacon and another $100 for an atomizer. Almost $500. It's exquisite.
    I just wanted to know what the hell of scent it is, went to the reviews, and found the hitherto highest cost:

'He charged me almost $800 US for two flacons since I did not get the limited edition atomizers and decided to send me one bottle and keep the other for himself.'

Bottle of Diam Blonde at Aedes for $130. And it is only a 1.7oz!

120 Euros for Tabarome Millesime (120ml), before I got ebay-wise, and 90 Euros for Piper Nigrum, which is never on the grey market. All of my other perfumes I got through ebay below retail at anything from still expensive to reasonable to dirt cheap to 1 Euro.
    My Wardrobe
    II est de forts parfums pour qui toute matière/Est poreuse. On dirait qu'ils pénètrent le verre.

Oriscent's Oud Royale.... $390!

And it was worth every penny.

For me it would be Creed's Limited Edition "Feuille Verte". 485 USD plus tax. It's worth every penny of it!
    "A great perfume is a work of art, it can lift our days, haunt our nights and create the milestones of our memories. Fragrance is liquid emotion. And that never goes out of fashion. " MICHAEL EDWARDS

Two-hundred and seventy-six dollars US. Never again though. My typical outlay rarely exceeds $90.
    There is no Nose....

Quote Originally Posted by GenuineImitationLife
    When I bought my 75ml bottle of Neroli Sauvage about 8 months ago or so, it was something like £85. That's the most I've spent on a bottle so far.

I'd like more Creeds, but the price makes it difficult to have more than one at a time!
    you might want to check out ebay. I do not know about UK, but there's a steady stream of Creeds on German ebay, especially GIT, BdP, Tabarome, MI, but a number of others as well. NIB 75 ml for 67 Euros, testers for 48 currently. I just go me Neroli sauvage today, couldn't resist. This might be worth the additional shipping to England, no?
    My Wardrobe
    II est de forts parfums pour qui toute matière/Est poreuse. On dirait qu'ils pénètrent le verre.

I just spent $207.00 (with shipping) for a brand new in cellophane bell jar of SL's Santal de Mysore on ebay. I've been looking for this forever and likely would've paid a bit more since it's part of the "non-export" line and who knows if it will EVER show up again.

Thrax

$120 for a bottle of New Haarlem

Alright, Taolady is already very worried about me so I might as well confess: 1.110,00 Euro for a bottle of Guerlain's Djedi (re-edition 1996).
    And before anyone wonders about my sanity: there is a story behind it. Ten years ago we started our own business (well, almost HAD to start), and I decided I would never allow a bank to look over our shoulder because they put their money in. So, everything was financed with our own money. And since that was the exact time the Djedi was re-released, I did not buy it. And never thought I would ever own one.
    Then in August I saw this bottle on eBay, perfect in every way. Almost in tears I showed it to my DH and he said "Buy it NOW". And I did. The bottle is still unopened and I wonder if I will ever have the nerve to cut the cords. But for me it is a token of love and the things we have achieved in those ten years.

Thumbs up Re: What's the Most You've Ever Plunked Down for One Scent?

Quote Originally Posted by Riannon
    Alright, Taolady is already very worried about me so I might as well confess: 1.110,00 Euro for a bottle of Guerlain's Djedi (re-edition 1996).
    And before anyone wonders about my sanity: there is a story behind it. Ten years ago we started our own business (well, almost HAD to start), and I decided I would never allow a bank to look over our shoulder because they put their money in. So, everything was financed with our own money. And since that was the exact time the Djedi was re-released, I did not buy it. And never thought I would ever own one.
    Then in August I saw this bottle on eBay, perfect in every way. Almost in tears I showed it to my DH and he said "Buy it NOW". And I did. The bottle is still unopened and I wonder if I will ever have the nerve to cut the cords. But for me it is a token of love and the things we have achieved in those ten years.
    Perfume as a keepsake rather than something consumable. Totally understand your purchase!
    Beauty is an ecstasy; it is as simple as hunger.
    There is really nothing to be said about it.
    It is like the perfume of a rose: you can smell it and that is all.

--W. Somerset Maugham

My Wardrobe

My newest Fumerie Turque was ~$135 after taxes and shipping.

A bit under $200 for 100mL of Montale's Royal Oud.

(did I get the rumour correct? Royal Oud is not in current production due to lack of availability of ingredients?)

About £140 for a 50ml spray bottle of Tabac Blond Extrait.

Quote Originally Posted by myaccolades
    My newest Fumerie Turque was ~$135 after taxes and shipping.
    Did you get it at Barney's New York? Or is Fumerie Turque available in Canada? Thanks.
    "A great perfume is a work of art, it can lift our days, haunt our nights and create the milestones of our memories. Fragrance is liquid emotion. And that never goes out of fashion. " MICHAEL EDWARDS

Quote Originally Posted by aubrgene
    Did you get it at Barney's New York? Or is Fumerie Turque available in Canada? Thanks.
    I only found one store with it and that was only because I made a private inquiry. They received only 3 bottles and I snagged up one of them. I'm pretty sure that I'm one of the first people to get it in Canada

99.98 Euros for a 99.98% full bottle of New Haarlem.

Holy shmoley! After seeing some of the prices here, I hereby request leave to slink into my corner: the most I've ever spent is about $80. When I grow up, I want to be just like y'all! :-)

My maximum to date has been about 90$ Canadian for a 100ml of Hanae Mori edt homme.

But I'm finding most of the usual suspects in this range now falling out of favour with my sensibilities and I fear that I will start to enter the 150 $ level soon once I get my lucky scent samples.

I almost bought X Clive Christian-300$-ouch!- while I was in London at the Fortnam & Mason there but my Yankee values stopped me. Never again!

My bell-shaped bottle of Chergui. A co-worker brought it home for me from a trip to Paris. I'm thinking that it cost around $125 with the exchange rate the way it was at the time.
    I've trademarked the color bleu

$150 for Baime MPG, 100 ml. bottle

Clive Christian 1893 is the Most expensive I've bought per volume.
    $100.00 for a 1/4 oz. I think. It was on E-Bay.

I've spent more on Creed's, but oz. for oz.. . .

It is some strong stuff; Eu de Parfume I believe; stays with you all day; and a little dab will do ya.

Quote Originally Posted by Riannon
    Your story prompted me to do a Google search, which turned up this incredible review of Djedi:

http://pdawwg.com/blog/index.php/200...us-que-jamais/
    There is no Nose....

Thrax

Quote Originally Posted by Griff
    Holy shit!!!!!! AH!!!!! Well....smokem if you got em

Sniped, of course. Don't ask what I was willing to pay. It was obscene. Guess who I outsniped?

G^^^f

Thrax

Quote Originally Posted by Griff
    Sniped, of course. Don't ask what I was willing to pay. It was obscene. Guess who I outsniped?

G^^^f
    You got me on this one ol' buddy.

I spent $178 for a bottle of Himalaya the day it was released in the states. Thats probably the most so far.