Code of Conduct
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Expensive taste

Default Expensive taste

A comment in the thread about single most expensive purchases makes me think about how much we pay for luxury dress, grooming, fragrance, accessories and the such. I only see that as my access to progressively more expensive, refined, luxurious and exotic products grows, so does my taste and consequently, my spending. If my mother knew that spending $100 on a bottle of cologne was a regular thing with me, she'd freak. I find myself at saks fifth avenue looking at ties that cost $165, that for some reason, seem almost neccessary to own. I am a middle-class American with not much more money than the next guy, and I wonder if I am crazy to be paying such extravagant prices for things I could otherwise do without. I suppose it is a matter of controlling my spending and being financially responsible, but I don't buy anything that seriously sets me back.

I suppose that these stores and products exist for people who make quite a bit more than I do, some of which are surely reading this post from a completely different perspective.

Where will I draw the line? When I am (hopefully) making a quarter-million a year, will there be ten-thousand dollar ties that I cannot live without? I get half of my ties from TJ Maxx for $7-10, and they look damn good on me. Am I overanalyzing this?
    Lately I've been wearing:
    Windsor, Bois de Santal, Original Santal, Elixir, Douro, Endymion, Reflection, Arcus, Marwah

Default Re: Expensive taste

You're not alone. We live in a society (not just in America) that worships the luxury, so even the traditionally "middle class" feels the desire to dress, smell, appear, and play like they're wealthy.
    The pursuit of philosophy is the hope that there is more to life than we realize. By philosophy, however, we come to realize that in fact there is less to life than previously imagined.

Quote Originally Posted by perfectfeet
    If my mother knew that spending $100 on a bottle of cologne was a regular thing with me, she'd freak. I find myself at saks fifth avenue looking at ties that cost $165, that for some reason, seem almost neccessary to own. I am a middle-class American with not much more money than the next guy, and I wonder if I am crazy to be paying such extravagant prices for things I could otherwise do without.
    perfectfeet - I know that I'm in the same boat - and I suspect that many of us [men] are. I bet you got through the same passive-aggressive thing that I do - you can't justify spending $125 on a tie, and keep putting off the "expense" - but then turn around and spend as much or more on some bottles of cologne, a camera, a wristwatch, etc. It's crazy. Chalk it up to modern existence? Or frugal upbringing? Entitlement? Guilt?

Then again, what's "extravagant?" It's no mystery (to me, anyway, and probably you) that a $100 bottle of niche cologne is exponentially better than something you can buy in Target; and I know that my $125 tie is much, much more nicely constructed than a TJ Maxx special (which has its own charm, to be fair). Then there's the whole ambiance/experience question - it is a different (nicer?) experience to shop in Saks/Bloomingdales, etc. than in Filene's Basement.

Something to be mentioned...The stuff I get at "the MAXX" is all good stuff too. Dkny, geofrey beene, nautica... These only cost around $20-40 when they are new and at retail stores, (I figure they must be out of season or something when they end up at tj or marshalls..) but it's the burberry, the hermes etc that cost $165 new, retail. I suppose $30 is a day's wage for (some) people in our country near the poverty line, and $7 is a day's wage for some people in other countries, and $165 is a day's wage for some people as well. Personally, purchasing a $165 tie would put me on a guilt trip and mean not paying a utility bill or two. lol! Wait, what am I saying?! I've got a shelf next to me with well over a grand's worth of fragrances on it! lol
    Windsor, Bois de Santal, Original Santal, Elixir, Douro, Endymion, Reflection, Arcus, Marwah

I see nothing wrong with appreciating the finer things in life. I think in the long run, spending 185 USD for a hand made silk Brioni tie will outlast a 35 USD Calvin Klein tie made in China. There is a difference in feel and quality and knowing that you have a good eye and taste in details. On a personal note, I enjoy treating myself to fine luxury items. I splurge on Berluti shoes each time I visit Paris but I don't feel guilty because it's not available here in L.A. and I know these shoes will last me a lifetime. As long as you can differentiate that they are just 'material' things and does not really identify you as a human being.
    "A great perfume is a work of art, it can lift our days, haunt our nights and create the milestones of our memories. Fragrance is liquid emotion. And that never goes out of fashion. " MICHAEL EDWARDS

The only time I'd ever buy expensive designer stuff would be if I was in a situation where money is no longer an object.

I could never justify it to myself. The quality might be slightly better, but regardless of how nice the stuff is, with designer stuff 90% of the rediculous extra price is you paying for the name.

It's all just how you look upon it. If you're the type of person who obsesses about fashion, then it'll dominate your thoughts. But I think it's kind of a shallow pursuit, there are much more rewarding and important things in life. Extremely expensive designer stuff is high quality, but to argue that when I buy a pair of D&G jeans for $350, or a Burberry leather jacket for $1300 that I'm paying for the higher quality is rediculous. You pay for a name.

I'm not saying don't spoil yourself once in a while or grab one of these articles that really intrigues you. But letting it dominate your thoughts is something no good can come of.

You only live once. You can't take any of your hard-earned, well-managed money with you when you die.

Buy the best things you can afford. Drink expensive wine, 30-year-old scotch... Buy expensive cheese. Lotion. Perfume.

A professor used to tell us that if we scored anything over 90% (to get an A), then we were wasting our time. I have the same philosophy when it comes to money.

Or if you feel guilty being so self-indulgent, then I'm sure your loved ones would appreciate some of the finer things in life in the form of gifts

-ben
    Nihil Obstat Ben

[url=http://www.basenotes.net/wardrobe/1883]My Wardrobe[/url]

To me life is first and foremost about pleasure - for myself as well as others. That means I will try (it's not always easy within the framework of my income) not buy products I know bear the mark of other's exploitation, as well as the highest available quality. This takes time and effort. So many luxury products are just empty shells with a name, not quality, justifying the hefty price tag. This applies to clothes, foods, wine, cosmetics and even perfume. Most designer ties at $50 are not that much higher quality than your discounter offer. My D&G tie is crap, in fact, while my Hermes tie is of so fine a silk it virtually ties itself. That's quality. And, no sir, I do not regret paying 3 Euros for it at the thrift store . That's where I buy all my ties (2nd hand, Oxfam etc.).
    I'm a well educated academic, which means I've been given the privilege of acquiring a sense of taste criminally disproportionate to my income . So I've made an art of bargain hunting which permits a lifestyle usually not possible at this level, plus the psychological gratification, or cheap thrill, of fooling "the system," as well as keeping my middle class morality somewhat intact ("$200 for a tie is immoral while people are starving etc. pp.)." That all these beautiful things don't really enrich your life is elite propaganda . Of course they do. That doesn't mean that, ultimately, holding my baby in my arms isn't worth infinitely more than my perfume collection, wine cellar, tie rack, designer shirt closet and Single Malt bar combined and multiplied by 1,000. Happiness does not lie in luxury alone. And it won't fill the hole in your life if there's one there. It just makes life so much more comfortable and pleasurable.
    My Wardrobe
    II est de forts parfums pour qui toute matière/Est poreuse. On dirait qu'ils pénètrent le verre.

Quote Originally Posted by the_good_life
    It won't fill the hole in your life if there's one there. It just makes life so much more comfortable and pleasurable.
    As Oscar Wilde wrote: "Give me the luxuries in life and I can dispense with the necessities."
    (hence the strange thrill I get from wearing Serge Lutens as I cook up some Ramen noodles or microwave burritos)
    Last edited by Joel_Cairo; 1st November 2006 at 02:46 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Joel_Cairo
    (hence the strange thrill I get from wearing Serge Lutens as I cook up some Ramen noodles or microwave burritos)
    I'll bet many of us here have our own version of this.

I've been debating this myself for the past couple months. I think indulging in a couple expensive things isn't bad. In fact, if it makes you happy, then I encourage it. But I don't recommend buying things to the point that it puts a strain on your budget. Then it starts becoming a serious problem.

I don't mind buying a few expensive products. I never buy for the label (well, usually ) but for quality, so name brands have little effect on me. I love finding Charvet, Brioni and Talbott ties on Ebay. Nice quality without putting a big strain on your wallet compared to buying at NM or Saks (Though be careful of fakes.) By the way Joel_Cairo, do you visit Styleforum at times?

Anyway, I have a thing for buying expensive clothing, which can get pretty bad at times. One tip I always use is to try justifying a purchase. If I find a reasonable excuse (I usually don't), only then do I buy it. Heck, I'm in college and here I am trying to splurge on cashmere sweaters. I'm an idiot sometimes...

Quote Originally Posted by Joel_Cairo
    As Oscar Wilde wrote: "Give me the luxuries in life and I can dispense with the necessities."
    Ahh... you know my soul. Unfortunately, sometimes those necessities become luxuries. A really, really good meal with fantastic service; a beautiful home; many pairs of fabulous shoes (I am woman, watch me shop)... sigh

I have to say, this really fascinates me - I'm probably what you would call a young person just starting to wake up to all the socio-economical issues in the world, just beginning to feel the huge gap between luxury and poverty. I'm in my senior year of high school and the past year or two the disrepancy between those who have expensive taste and those who can't afford it... becomes more and more prevalent.

I have to admit, I'm probably a little spoiled. I've never had a real job, I like name-brand clothing, I like buying nice things. It seems like so many young people have parents who are willing to give their offspring the very best things in life from a very young age - to give those offspring the best possible lifestyle ever (that's not neccessarily me, just true with alot of the people I know). The problem is, where do you really go from there? When you grow up, how are you ever to maintain your lifestyle unless you have a huge trust fund... and even then, what if somehow the trust fund just isn't enough? There are the kids with the parents who send them to expensive business schools, but in the end, there's no guarantee of success/failure.

Sorry if that was off-topic; I swear I'm trying to keep things relevant. Anyways - it seems like middle America is extremely obsessed with the rich and the famous, but, who can blame them? We live in a high-paced Capitalist society where money is king. I'm not criticizing it, but, particularly regarding past experiences... I fail to see where that *isn't* true. And it's easy to fall into the trap of wanting desperately to have one up on the neighbours, to flash one's own fancy car all around town, to wear the best clothes and jewelery and perfume. To be honest, I love the feeling of luxury on my skin. It transports me to a place where I feel a little less lonely, if that makes any sense - gives me an emotional rush, helps make me feel somewhat better about the other holes in my life. But in the end, there are consequences to an addiction to luxurious things; one gets judged by jealous others, one realizes the growing emptiness in one's own life.

There's a difference, I think, between appreciating expensive things and being wholly consumed by them. And the line between the two is so thin that I don't think half the people who've crossed if realize they have already. I've seen so many people become so wrapped up in their own luxuries that they start looking down on others for the stupidest reasons, like t-shirts from Target and... unmanicured fingernails, let's say. And then there's the whole issue of starving orphans and all in Africa, which I won't even pretend to know anything about... except that hey, it's hardly like I'm thinking of poverty in third-world-countries whenever I purchase a $300 Burberry scarf. Though that twinge of guilt must come from somewhere, hey? Even if one justifies the purchase by saying they'll wear the scarf for years to come... somebody who'll spend so much on a scarf isn't likely just to buy a single scarf for five years. At least not in my experience.

Obviously, this isn't a rant against expensive taste (I'd be a gigantic hypocrite if this was), it's just... some ramblings on the subject. Make of them what you will. To me, the whole obsession with luxury begins from childhood and is slowly cultivated all through adolescence, until it becomes an ultimate fixture by adulthood... mostly depending on upbringing, environment, many factors. And this is all assuming we do have the money to pay for luxury; I won't even get into when we actually don't because it's a very scary subject for me.
    Last edited by shanghai_rose; 12th April 2007 at 06:45 AM.
    If nothing ever changed, there'd be no butterflies.

A very thoughtful and interesting post, shanghai_rose! It's great to see someone my age with such clear vision on this subject. I'm basically in your situation and have the same thoughts when it comes to this.

You're very right that many people probably hardly realize how privileged they are to live the way they do. I try to keep that in mind and see joy in simple things as well as the material, rather than always wanting to go for bigger, better, more. It can be hard at times - but money certainly doesn't always buy happiness.

Thanks for your post .
    "Perfume is the dream that carries me."

There is always the sky to look at

Ah. Good post. Your avatar is very pretty, Rose.

Let me tell you something in line with and at the same time dissimilar. My family came here with five hundred American in our pockets. I slept on furniture brought in off the garbage pile in the street. Believe me, this is something that makes you want to do a little better in life.

I've been poor. I didn't like it. I'm doing better now.

Cheers!
    Last edited by CoTHukoB; 15th April 2007 at 11:40 PM. Reason: grammar
    blackguard, n.
    3 : an inverted gentleman
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bZ5a2JH_BVE
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hWEOaosGDi0
    ... où flotte l'étendard ...
    ... Ich will die Ruhe stören ...
    ... Stand up and admit it! ...

We live in a culture where luxury is a commodity. There is a perception in the media that we're entitled to it and that it's necessary for a decent life. It sure makes life more comfortable, and of course the commodification of luxury fattens the pockets of people who sell $30,000 handbags.

One of the things that I hate the most about our culture is the sense of entitlement. I think that this is perhaps best showcased by the show, "My Super Sweet 16" on MTV. Somehow there's no longer a requirement of achievement in order to celebrate - the fact that someone's a trust fund baby with loaded parents entitles someone to excessive consumption. You can be just like Paris or Nicole if you buy the same $7,000 frock or $900 shoes. As You Can See From My Name-Brand Clothing, I Am Not Poor. This article was published in The Onion 7 years ago, so the inflation of luxury goods has skyrocketed since then. One almost laughs at the thought of a $88 jeans because those are for Poor People, and OMG, True Religions are where it's at.

I love luxurious things as evidenced by my love of Lutens and Goutal and other parfumeurs, but at a certain point there has to be a concept of "enough". Then again, greed is one of the lowest common denominators of the human condition. Not everyone can raise themselves above that.

It's worth mentioning that if everyone in the world lived the coveted American lifestyle, we'd either have to kill off 75% of the world's population or get four Earths.

Thanks, BrothaG! It's kind of refreshing to know I'm not the only one who visibly struggles with this. Money is great, don't get me wrong - it's a security blanket that borrows you affection once in awhile, but it's not the be-all and end-all of everything. It can't buy you happiness, neither can it really buy you class (case and point: Britney Spears).

And thanks, CoTHukoB! It was just something I threw together on 10 minutes on Photoshop Is that Marilyn Manson in yours? I like the color scheme you've chosen! And wow about your family! Did you guys immigrate from another country? Mine did too, and we had to work our way up... but we had something to start up from, at least. It's great that you guys are doing better, and in a way, maybe it's almost a blessing to know what it felt like to be poor so you can appreciate NOT being poor even more When you think about things like that, buying the "must-have" $500 handbag you found at Hugo Boss suddenly seems so unimportant, huh?

EDIT: Linnea, wow, I really agree with you on that! I really hate this sense of entitlement most people who come from wealthy countries have, that luxury is our birthright and we're losers if we don't take it. For one, I think the Hermes Birkin bags are *not* nearly worth $30,000 (they're the first ones that come to mind for around that price) - and I'm perplexed by people who think they are. Even if I could afford one, I'd rather put it to better use.

I'm so glad I've never watched "My Super Sweet 16" - it's one of the shows I stay away from. And while I have nothing against True Religion jeans (I think they're nice, though I prefer Citizens of Humanity) I also buy jeans from GAP and Zara, and there's actually not a huge difference. It's all about slapping a label onto the ass and making people believe there is. Sorry to anybody who's a Paris Hilton fan here, but she has got to be one of the most disgusting and heartless human beings alive, and I rarely describe people so harshly. There are celebrities and debutantes who I'm jealous of for what they have (can't help but) - but Paris? Makes me feel nothing but contempt. Anyways, luxurious things are great as long as one knows that in the end, they're just "things" - and don't make you better than anybody else. Better-dressed, perhaps, but that's one area out of thousands.

And that statistic is really sad =/ I remember learning about the 80/20 world split (20% of the world's people use 80% of the resources, and vice versa) and even though part of me goes "holy crap, that's awful!" I know I'm not really *doing* anything about it, preferring to live in my own isolated little bubble.
    Last edited by shanghai_rose; 16th April 2007 at 12:14 AM.

Interesting thread.

I know my current materialistic tendencies stem from my poor upbringing. Having a total of 3 pants to wear to high school was not cool. My mom did her best to make ends meet financially, but her best contribution to my life is her insistence on education. I graduated with a bachelor's in electrical engineering with a specialized focus and I'm halfway finished with my MBA, paid in full courtesy of my current employment.

My education affords me the luxuries that I do have. In fact, ironically, I have become the very person I despised when I was growing up poor. I never would have dreamed as a kid that I would live two blocks from the beach in Southern California. Am I entitled to it? Damn straight. I've earned every single penny on my own.

I find myself in interesting situations sometimes when I go to poor neighborhoods in LA dressed in my David Yurman watch, 7 diamonds jeans, Johnston and Murphy shoes, etc as if I was back in my old neighborhood; most of my friends are scared. Perhaps I should be too, but I still remember my old ghetto apartment back in Albuquerque. This tells me that I haven't been fully absorbed into the LA lifestyle.

TNMA
    "Why not seize the pleasure at once?"
    -- Jane Austen (Sun, and Mercury in Sagittarius)

Oh man that article from the Onion is great!

anyone who hasn't read it needs to!

Quote Originally Posted by shanghai_rose View Post
    And thanks, CoTHukoB! It was just something I threw together on 10 minutes on Photoshop Is that Marilyn Manson in yours? I like the color scheme you've chosen!
    Yup, that's Brian Warner; and thanks - i wasn't happy with the original picture and made a few slight changes on the fly. Used to have a different avatar up there, but i got tired of looking at my own face.

Always good to make something out of nothing. At least then you're not going through life half-asleep. And helping people too much rips them off from the opportunity to grow ... so i'm glad i didn't get much.

There's a neat quote from Dali:

"When I look up at the starry sky [Eiffel Tower], I find it small. Either I am growing or else it is shrinking. Unless both are happening at the same time."
    Last edited by CoTHukoB; 17th April 2007 at 01:31 AM.
    blackguard, n.

thenmarcher, I'm glad you found success through hard work If you worked as hard as you did to get where you are, then, hats off to you. It's interesting how on one hand, there are people who grow up poor and are therefore motivated for greater things - and people who grow up rich and need to maintain their lifestyle. They *do* say you usually go up, not down. If you earned every penny, then, you're probably entitled to your lifestyle! Perhaps once you settle into it more and see the big picture, those materialistic tendencies will evaporate a little since you're more comfortable with the way things are?

And Scentronic, that article is *totally* hilarious. I can't believe I forgot to comment on it! I have one friend who is that way, and my theory is that she spends so much money despite a limited budget to compensate for other things. She's the daughter of a family friend, and while everybody else went to university, she ended up in college (colleges here in Vancouver are a step-down from universities) instead, so everybody sort of looks down on her now (particularly because she has the habit of "acting" like she's smarter than us all). I feel incredibly sorry for her parents, though - her mother is a hotel-cleaning maid, so I don't know how her daughter ends up in $300 jackets.

CoTHukoB, I see! Yeah, I always have issues putting my own face on an avatar because I keep looking at it and feeling strange afterwards... so perhaps celebrities are easier to use.

Your attitude is really admirable! Had I grown up the same way, I don't know if I would've had the same kind of fortitude. And that quote is really a great one - so true, in so many ways. Plus, it's from Dali, which makes it even greater

We'll have to find out what means expensive taste for each of us or for other people...
    i have always thought that expensive and taste do not necessarily come hand in hand, for example, i would never choose a 150000$ bling-watch when i could have a 1500$ "bare bones" vintage watch if i had them both in front of me.

I like the way Mr. the_good_life thinks when choosing his ties.

I think it's only natural and human to want better things when one is growing, and getting older and absorbing more information as time passes by,and not be entirely satisfied with the things you have; but when(or if) that meddles with your income, i don't think it's a smart move to pay more for something that you (as an absolute must) do not really need.

What a fun thread to read!

I think expensive taste doesn't have to come in the form of fashion. I am not a fashion hound at all. Something like Express is about as high on the money scale as I go. And even then, what I get is probably from the sale rack. But then I don't care about fashion.

But I do have expensive taste...

...In outdoors gear. It's even worse.

Rossignol? I don't think so. Bring on the Stoklis. In fact, I'll take two pairs of skis, just in case the conditions change. Bam: $3000. I go ice climbing maybe twice a year, but I have crampons and two ice axes. Bam, bam: $700. I'm still learning to use use them, but I have a enough camming devices to scale El Capitan. Gore-Tex everything. And don't even mention bikes. The list goes goes on. My room looks like an REI with a fragrace boutique in the corner.

But I don't feel guilty. These things genuinely enrich my life. They make me healthier and allow me bond with people in ways that are hard to replicate in other arenas. I don't buy these things to flaunt at others. They aren't made at the expense of other peoples' quality of life.

So I would say feel free to buy what you want...if you feel that the things you buy really make you a happier, more fulfilled person. I'm not beating up on fashion here. I mean, I spend a lot on fragrance, which isn't too far off. If you're really into intricate details and fine textiles, fashion may very well make you happier. Just try not to buy things because you feel pressured to and your money will not be wasted.
    "It's not what you look like when you're doing what you're doing; it's what you're doing when you're doing what you look like you're doing."

Exactly, LiveJazz.

And besides, the fashionistas are the ones who HAVE no style or sense of their own and feel a need to borrow someone else's (or need someone to tell them what to wear or do) - and a page of a magazine or runway is where they turn.
    blackguard, n.

Quote Originally Posted by CoTHukoB View Post
    Exactly, LiveJazz.

And besides, the fashionistas are the ones who HAVE no style or sense of their own and feel a need to borrow someone else's (or need someone to tell them what to wear or do) - and a page of a magazine or runway is where they turn.
    In most cases. I definitely know a few someone who genuinely appreciates good fabrics/color combos/unique styles...all without EVER reading a fashion magazine or closely following trends. This person gets more respect for her taste than everyone else I know that meticulously works to stay up to date. Obviously, the true creative lovers of fashion are a small minority though.

People off of this board probably assume that we fragrance lovers fall victim to fragrance trends and marketing, which isn't true at all. We actually appreciate the artistry of it. And my point is....I don't know. It's OK if you love it.
    "It's not what you look like when you're doing what you're doing; it's what you're doing when you're doing what you look like you're doing."

Cool Re: Expensive taste

Please, if we must be shallow, be shallow responsibly.

I could own my home now, had I not bought that grey ' 72 Jag with red leather interior--and a rebuilt GM V8 motor back in the late 80's, when I was flush.

Everything that could go wrong with that damned car went wrong--except the engine, but I rant.

Frankly, I'm leary of REI. They sell ponchos that cost the arm you'll put through it. Will you really use the gear? If so, more power to you, if not I suggest reading:

' Bobos in Paradise '----A very funny non-fiction book about our culture; where mansions are guady and diamond necklaces declasse, but if it's a " tool " the sky's the limit in spending!

What could possibly be wrong in putting out 25k for a shower stall?
    Or designing a kitchen that looks like an airport hangar?
    -------------------------------

Well, since we've brought up uncle Oscar, my favorite quote of his is:

" I can resist anything in life, except temptation. "

However I am not tempted by brand names. I cannot imagine paying a fortune for a silk tie that's folded 7 times ( by whom? The seven dwarves? ) because of the label.

If I were to go into debt like this, where would I find the funds for the essentials: Wine , Women and Song?

Then there's poker, sushi, ---Oh, never mind, it's hopeless.

Debt?

Oscar's last quote:

" I am dying as I have lived, above my means."

Cheers,

Mario
    Last edited by Mario Justiniani; 7th June 2007 at 09:17 AM.
    My Wardrobe

Reviews: http://www.basenotes.net/reviews/30

Absinthe makes the heart grow fonder.

My Antaeus can beat up your Armani.

I know what you mean. Here is what I regularly spend on my Armani clothes:

Shoes: $395
    Dress Shirts: $275
    Jeans: $275
    T-shirts: $115
    Sweaters: $355
    Gloves: $375
    Scarf: $250
    Slacks: $355
    Ties: $130
    Sportcoats: $1475
    Suits: $1875
    Raincoat: $1045
    Cashmere Overcoat: $3350

However, I am not a clotheshound. I choose quality over quantity. I do not care if people see me wear the same item twice.

I guess my upbringing has a lot to do with the way I view money and how I choose to spend it. My dad grew up very poor and with heavy responsibilities from an early age. Despite a rough start in life, he is now doing pretty well. Because of his hard work and determination, I grew up in one of the most exclusive neighbourhoods in the country. But because he knew so well how difficult money can be to come by, my parents were also very careful not to spoil me. It was a little hard growing up next to all these trust fund kids with designer wardrobes when all I had were hand-me-downs, but I can honestly say that the perspective I gained is more valuable than all the Abercrombie that could have filled my closet.

I have a funny relationship with money these days. I'm a law student, and while I'm looking forward to the fat paycheques, I don't know that I'll ever be able to plunk down two grand for a handbag. In fact, I hope that the temptation never arises. Clothes have to be lived in, and I don't want to worry about accidentally spilling coffee on a three thousand dollar outfit. More importantly, that kind of money has real potential to make a change in the world. I might look really fabulous, but for whose benefit? Why should anyone care how much I spent? Don't get me wrong, I love fashion and I love clothes... but I'm more than happy to wear $30 jeans. And I'm willing to bet that my ass looks better in my thirty dollar jeans than most people's do in $300 ones.

Quote Originally Posted by sunshowers View Post
    I guess my upbringing has a lot to do with the way I view money and how I choose to spend it. My dad grew up very poor and with heavy responsibilities from an early age. Despite a rough start in life, he is now doing pretty well. Because of his hard work and determination, I grew up in one of the most exclusive neighbourhoods in the country. But because he knew so well how difficult money can be to come by, my parents were also very careful not to spoil me. It was a little hard growing up next to all these trust fund kids with designer wardrobes when all I had were hand-me-downs, but I can honestly say that the perspective I gained is more valuable than all the Abercrombie that could have filled my closet.

I have a funny relationship with money these days. I'm a law student, and while I'm looking forward to the fat paycheques, I don't know that I'll ever be able to plunk down two grand for a handbag. In fact, I hope that the temptation never arises. Clothes have to be lived in, and I don't want to worry about accidentally spilling coffee on a three thousand dollar outfit. More importantly, that kind of money has real potential to make a change in the world. I might look really fabulous, but for whose benefit? Why should anyone care how much I spent? Don't get me wrong, I love fashion and I love clothes... but I'm more than happy to wear $30 jeans. And I'm willing to bet that my ass looks better in my thirty dollar jeans than most people's do in $300 ones.

I hear ya. As for spending a ton at REI..I like REI, that they have so much to offer. However there are other stores that offer similar things for the most average outdoors person. Growing up on 75 acres and spending my youth traversing the countryside proves to me that most people would be fine w/a lot less. If you are climbing Everest, okay that is a different story. I still am torn about how to raise my kids..which "environment" would be best. I love the way I grew up, but it is such a rarity compared to the average kid. And I think that all that alone time may have made me a bit socially dyslexic...although my friends say absolutely not. Who knows. I really feel life is or should be more about people than things..relationships, ect.
    --------------------------------------
    I found a pair of tall jeans at Kmart.....yes kmart, that look sooooooooooo good on me and fit me so well....its crazy insane. And I have to look long and hard to find jeans that fit me right. These were 20 dollars. I just about crapped myself actually.
    Last edited by sameasalways; 1st January 2008 at 03:31 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
    Always remember you are unique; just like everyone else.

I see the wisdom in buying quality stuff, but I think there's a clear cutoff to where you're paying for quality or paying for paying too much for something. I agree that clothes should be lived in, not a hindrance.
    "Cleanliness and order are not matters of instinct; they are matters of education, and like most great things, you must cultivate a taste for them." Benjamin Disraeli

Celebrities like Kate Beckinsale shop at Target without any regrets. My well-off father doesn't enter Nordstrom's unless he has to. A large percentage of multi-millionaires ($90-$110 million) shop at Costco than people earning $40,000-$50,000 a year. You find that people with lower incomes tend to spend more on themselves. Then, when they hit it big, all they do is try to find ways to invest/conserve it. Some stats I learned in my economics and lifestyle class here.

I have expensive taste when it comes to clothing ($95-$175 for a tie, no problem). Food on the other hand. Gimme a Whopper and I'll be satisfied.

Hell, Warren Buffett was living in a small townhouse in Omaha, Nebraska and still driving some crappy 1970 Cadillac until his daughter bought him the car's 2007 model and convinced him to invest in some sort of vacation house.

true...there was also an article talking about how economics and how certain people try to "look" like they have more so they feel like they fit in with the rest of society. Also that it is those people who are more likely to blow money on some big label thing. ..That they lower the socioeconomic group, the more likely they are to feed in to marketing.
    Always remember you are unique; just like everyone else.

Quote Originally Posted by samplermike View Post
    I know what you mean. Here is what I regularly spend on my Armani clothes:

Shoes: $395
    Dress Shirts: $275
    Jeans: $275
    T-shirts: $115
    Sweaters: $355
    Gloves: $375
    Scarf: $250
    Slacks: $355
    Ties: $130
    Sportcoats: $1475
    Suits: $1875
    Raincoat: $1045
    Cashmere Overcoat: $3350

However, I am not a clotheshound. I choose quality over quantity. I do not care if people see me wear the same item twice.

Yeah but the point is does it look like a bag of shite or good?
    Cost and expense means sod all if it looks like a bin bag which i have seen many couture items do.

Quote Originally Posted by Pip View Post
    Yeah but the point is does it look like a bag of shite or good?
    Cost and expense means sod all if it looks like a bin bag which i have seen many couture items do.
    I suppose some people make cheap clothes look expensive, while others make expensive clothes look cheap. Personal style makes a bigger impact than hefty price tags, imo.
    Last edited by sunshowers; 14th January 2008 at 05:47 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by sunshowers View Post
    I suppose some people make cheap clothes look expensive, while others make expensive clothes look cheap. Personal style makes a bigger impact than hefty price tags, imo.
    Absolutely correct

I loved reading all of you guys' wonderful and intelligent posts!

Personally, I really enjoy style -- I love fashion and art and literature and movies and perfumes. And for me, what you see is pretty much what you get, because I like to dress in what I love aesthetically. So for me, style is just style, and sometimes it happens to be cheap, and sometimes it happens to be expensive. Occasionally, when I'm dressed especially out-there, I can sense some people are intimidated, so I try to put them at ease, because inside I'm just a goofy nerd, lol.

I'm currently studying in college, and here I have the pleasure of meeting people from all walks of life. Some of my friends are not financially well off, while some I suspect are quite rich. And one thing I realized it that some people who have expensive tastes were just born into it and know no other way of shopping, and some like it for the artistic nature of clothes/perfume/whatever that just happens to be pricey. And then there are those who flaunt their luxury items like a status symbol, and those are the people I generally steer clear of, because I can't stand their holier-than-thou sense of entitlement.

I know kind, warm, down-to-earth people who look like they've stepped from the pages of designer catalogues. I know people who come from families that own corporations, and who just wear whatever and carry themselves like average folks. And I know narrow-minded people who can dress themselves beautifully, but who are quick to pass judgment on the poor.

So I appreciate others' style when they are stylish, but try not to let other people's choice of clothing get in the way of my knowing them as a person. (Though it IS hard sometimes though! Case in point: the first time I saw my professor was when she was walked in, dressed to the nines, smelling of expensive 'fume, wearing cat-eye sunglasses and carrying a Hermes Berkin bag. And I couldn't help thinking: "East Coast bitch!" LoL, it was a knee-jerk reaction! But then she turned out to be one of the nicest, kindest, most intelligent people I know, and now she's my academic advisor and I LOVE HER!!!)

Money, though... that's another issue. Because I'm in college. And I don't have income. Heh.

Smile Re: Expensive taste

It's not Just Americans who aspire to luxury "lifestyle products." If your interested, I'd recommend that you order a copy of "Affluenza" by Clive Hamilton. It addresses this very issue.

I am only a 15 year old, so my view is somewhat limited on this.

But, I come from what I would call a upper-middle or lower-upper class family, with a fairly decent income. The downside is, both of my parent's are self-employed, I've lived in little terraced houses with not a single TV, and am currently living in a five bedroom detached home. My parents are somewhat frugal, but they spend a lot, and give a lot, to me. I am more than grateful for what I have, but I have to admit I do feel bad from time to time.

When my mother was unemployed (I was 9) My dad got into some gambling issues, and business wasn't going well, so my dad had to shut down our business (back then, Indian Clothing importation and distribution) And that's when I learnt there was a lot more to life! The gourmet food, the cleaner and the nice car, and beautiful house in London, was all swapped out for a dingy 2 bedroomed terraced house in Birmingham, in a rougher area. I had no concept of luxury back then, I lived in simple clothing, from BHS and Next. Soon after (age 12-ish) my dad got a designing contract, and my mom's sister (Who is VERY wealthy) Lent my mom the money to open up a low-key boutique. We were getting money again, and life felt amazing, nice food, nice clothes and a nicer house (Age 14-ish)!

If you're still reading, you're probably wondering about why I yapped on for so long, but that's because, I wanted to get my point across, everyone loves luxury, it's just what your perception of luxury is, when I was younger, getting to go out to pizza hut was an ultimate treat. It's like meh now, unfortunately doesn't have the euphoria that it used to, simply because its easily attainable now
    Now, what gives me the feeling of luxury, of the same euphoria as pizza hut at age 13, is a nice meal out at a restaurant which is probably four to five times more expensive than pizza hut! Back then, a pair of £40 GAP jeans would have been luxury, now, a pair of £144 Dior Homme jeans are luxury.

I believe that luxury is different to expensive taste, people perceive luxury differently. But, whatever they perceive it as, it makes them happy. I've been at both ends of the scale, and expensive taste has nothing to do with it, it's all about your brain in my opinion :

Generally, I try to get high quality for cheap. I don't want to shop in department stores because often the fabrics are cheap (they pill, feel fake, have jewels that will fall off, the sweaters are already streaching out on the hangers...). I have no problem going to a 2nd hand store and finding the treasures, or having something custom made by an artist/designer that I know or have heard good things about ($100-300) if I really need it.

My dad says, "Buy the best you can afford and the best price and wear it out. Don't buy crap".

That is pretty much my mantra! I don't mind having a small wardrobe as long as it fits my lifestyle and I know I won't have to replace it anytime soon. I also don't want to get something so expensive that I can't wear it. I like to get a little of something good than a whole bunch of crap. Sure fast food and polyester are practicle and even fun sometimes, but I don't want a life full of it.

The richest guy I knew had a mansion on the Hudson River and castles in Europe. His house was empty except for a fake Rubens, plastic flowers, Suave shampoo, and a single bottle of Coco Chanel in the guestroom. We all have our priorities...
    Last edited by lookingglass; 21st January 2008 at 08:30 PM.
    ~Grenouille knew for certain that unless he possesed this scent, his life would have no meaning.~
    Perfume: The Story of a Murderer

Quote Originally Posted by lookingglass View Post
    Generally, I try to get high quality for cheap. I don't want to shop in department stores because often the fabrics are cheap (they pill, feel fake, have jewels that will fall off, the sweaters are already streaching out on the hangers...). I have no problem going to a 2nd hand store and finding the treasures, or having something custom made by an artist/designer that I know or have heard good things about ($100-300) if I really need it.

My dad says, "Buy the best you can afford and the best price and wear it out. Don't buy crap".

That is pretty much my mantra! I don't mind having a small wardrobe as long as it fits my lifestyle and I know I won't have to replace it anytime soon. I also don't want to get something so expensive that I can't wear it. I like to get a little of something good than a whole bunch of crap. Sure fast food and polyester are practicle and even fun sometimes, but I don't want a life full of it.

The richest guy I knew had a mansion on the Hudson River and castles in Europe. His house was empty except for a fake Rubens, plastic flowers, Suave shampoo, and a single bottle of Coco Chanel in the guestroom. We all have our priorities...
    'least he had good taste in fragrance

What an interesting thread. I can't believe I didn't see it all this time.
    I always thought that dressing (or smelling) good on a budget is a much more interesting job. That way you really put your brain to work, search for the best items you can spend your money on, and have your personality show more on your style. Sometimes, a friend of mine who's also into clothes and fragrances complains that we don't have enough money to buy expensive designer items, I tell her that we're the real thing, since we dress really nice without having all the money we want to spend.

Is spending half your monthly salary on a designer item a crazy thing to do? No, absolutely not, and the minute I graduate and get a job (3 months, hopefully), I'm going to do it without regret. I already have a list of designer clothes, fragrances and other luxury items that I'm going to buy in the first few months, with the top item being a Givenchy blazer that costs more than half a month's salary. Yes, I am going to work for 20 days just to go out to the Givenchy store and hand them all my money for that thing. Life's too short. If you want something so bad, get it.
    Looking for a sample of Gucci Envy Me.

Mostapha, woot, someone with my mentality I'd spend a months salary on designer shizzle, heck, it's why I want to get a summer job, much to my parents dismay (they want me to go on a cruise with them, but I don't want to )

I agree with both what Mostapha and Vivek said. I think that life is too short; and luxury is actually worth it. I would spend what I earn in a month on some designer item; and I feel great about it.

I know my limitations - I know I'm on a budget, I know I have to save up and I know when to stop. But I still treat myself every now and then.

I don't do it for others, I just do it for myself - and I do feel good. I don't flaunt what I have, I save and work hard for it, and I earn it honestly - so why not? At the end of the day, you should only hide things you've stolen, and not the fruit of hard work.

Hi everyone. great discussion going on; I thought I might speak my mind too.

I spend a lot more money on clothes than most people I know. It's usually worthwhile because (if anything) the disparity in quality is obvious when comparing something bought from a high street chain versus something from a boutique but I try not to let the extra I've paid go to some corporate mongrel so I'm discriminate about the labels.

As with anything we're spending our money on, information helps a lot. Many influential labels aren't actually large corporations. In fact, some of them can't afford the legal expense of suing a high street brand copying their designs but that's another issue. I'm referring to the more independent houses as opposed to those under LVMH, Gucci, Prada Groups etc. And the work that some of these designers come up with never ceases to amaze me- but not all of them make millions, even though their clothing is expensive and some merely make enough to bring their collections on to the next season.

I don't expect everyone to understand my obsession with what is essentially fabric to some people but I find that it's also a means of supporting the industry; the highly skilled ateliers that produce the work and the brilliant designers that put in the hours. Like it or not, fashion is a cultural phenomenon with enormous economic impact which filters through to all levels of consumer societies. Picking out the talent is what amuses me the most.

To me, there is a subtle difference between luxury and designer too. There are labels that are about generating income and others that are more concerned about perpetuating ideas. Labels that stand for certain lifestyle ideals don't usually appeal to me because I'm interested in creative content and the 'future factor'.

But spending more doesn't mean consuming more. I'd rather buy one piece from a designer's collection than get two different versions of that garment at a high street outlet for variety. One of the strongest reasons I put more money into my clothes is because I'm don't want something out of a sweatshop from "X-mart" that shifts externalized costs onto laborers and exploit foreign resources by monopolizing their markets. Of course it's cheap but the exploited ones are paying for that sweater; not me.

My money has the power to speak; so I let it.

and I like what someone said about buying second hand; totally support that.

I'm a firm believer that you don't have to buy expensive brand names to look beautiful or stylish. It's all in our mind anyways. Some people need to be assured that what they are buying is a stylish piece of clothing and they are willing to pay money for the brand name. Other people can judge themselves what looks good and what doesn't. It's a choice everyone makes for themselves.

I don't have really expensive tastes. I buy most of my clothes either at discount stores or Target. I draw the line on spending more than 20-30 bucks on a day-to-day cologne or fragrance. I'm not cheap as I sometimes do spend alot of money on some things,but I'm looking at the utility value to myself mostly when I do that. Some things cannot be both good and cheap, after all.

Quote Originally Posted by jones10021 View Post
    I'm a firm believer that you don't have to buy expensive brand names to look beautiful or stylish. It's all in our mind anyways. Some people need to be assured that what they are buying is a stylish piece of clothing and they are willing to pay money for the brand name. Other people can judge themselves what looks good and what doesn't. It's a choice everyone makes for themselves.
    I agree. Even though designer things usually are tailored a lot better and have better materials, the difference isn't that much and it's more like a status quo thing at most things. The huge difference is at make-up, some accessories, evening dresses and shoes.

To emphasize his post, I have two types of clothing. Casual and evening wear. My casual wardrobe is basically sporty-casual stuff with average prices, while the evening wear(I use it for more than romantic dates :P) is expensive stuff like 400$ pairs of shoes and similar things. But it's something like an investment to me due to the fact that in my field of work your image is what matters.

Scentronic, I wish I'd live in NYC. The US is like uber cheap. Try Bucharest where a pair of regular Levi's can be 250$. But again, this is why I do most of my shopping either online, either in other countries when I travel.

Now that I've read this thread, I don't know who originally said their professor claimed any A higher than a 90% was a waste of time, but I must respond to that. I find it almost offensive because it ignores the fact that As happen for vastly different reasons. Ignoring all the other reasons, the reason they happen when they happen for me is because I have great pleasure and fascination in the topic, and therefore cannot stop thinking about it any more than we here can stop thinking about perfume. A 96% A is only a symptom of a larger thing for me, then. And that leads me into the discussion of following our pleasures.

I have expensive taste too. I am obsessed with the artistry of clothing and accessories. I certainly buy things that are not actually meant for me if the price tag is any indication. BUT - I don't agree with the oft-repeated BS that you need to live every day like it's your last. The problem with that advice is that most days aren't our last, and therefore living like they are makes the next day one giant hangover of regret-land. There's a fine balance between being bold and being a selfish clod driven only by your desires.

As for the starving children in Africa, none of us are going to win at the game of selflessness. People who would balk at spending a thousand on a nice garment will still spend it on their own versions of useless crap - whether that's movies, a new couch they didn't need, or the coffee they can't help buying every day. Even if someone did away with all those things, WHY? The point of charity is to bring others up to a more comfortable level, not to climb down to an uncomfortable level oneself.

I don't think you're over-analyzing, I think it's a good question. I would advise every younger person I meet (and often do whether they want to hear it or not) to save/invest something, and I don't just mean what goes into their 401-K. There is a balance that can be achieved between indulgence and thrift. I would strongly urge you to put away as much money as you can without making you feel totally deprived of any luxuries.

I'm so bored of this leftist starving kids and crap like that in Africa stuff... Pathetic propaganda.

Quote Originally Posted by Delia View Post
    I agree. Even though designer things usually are tailored a lot better and have better materials, the difference isn't that much and it's more like a status quo thing at most things. The huge difference is at make-up, some accessories, evening dresses and shoes.

To emphasize his post, I have two types of clothing. Casual and evening wear. My casual wardrobe is basically sporty-casual stuff with average prices, while the evening wear(I use it for more than romantic dates :P) is expensive stuff like 400$ pairs of shoes and similar things. But it's something like an investment to me due to the fact that in my field of work your image is what matters.

Scentronic, I wish I'd live in NYC. The US is like uber cheap. Try Bucharest where a pair of regular Levi's can be 250$. But again, this is why I do most of my shopping either online, either in other countries when I travel.
    Wow Delia....I have relatives living in Istanbul , and the say the same! Ridiculous! 250 usd for a Levis....
    "Burn their homes and churches.Then see if they will not laugh, sing and pray again.
    For when two of them meet anywhere in the world, see if they will not create a new Armenia."

William Saroyan.
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Using: Antaeus, The Dreamer, Eau Sauvage and Voyage d Hermes

Wishing: Tuscan Soul by Ferragamo and Concentré d Orange Verte

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I think that in order to look and feel good you don't need to spend a lot of money. I always looks for deals, compare prices and bargain hunt. In my opinion it is pretty much boils down to how much money leaves your pocket and what you get in return.

I enjoy the finer things in life. I enjoy fine watches, fine cigars, fine cars, fine fragrances, and a very fine looking wife. Life is good.

Quote Originally Posted by Maz24 View Post
    I enjoy the finer things in life. I enjoy fine watches, fine cigars, fine cars, fine fragrances, and a very fine looking wife. Life is good.
    How do you define fine?

I also like fine, but my fine is different from your fine.

Me too. Sometimes those finner things are expensive. Sometimes they are not.

Unofrtunatelly, most newbies and people with no 'real' taste but a with lot of money will buy the most expensive thing they can get. They have an expensive no-taste.

Quote Originally Posted by AlexPanzer View Post
    How do you define fine?

I m with you Alex!
    "Burn their homes and churches.Then see if they will not laugh, sing and pray again.
    For when two of them meet anywhere in the world, see if they will not create a new Armenia."

William Saroyan.

Using: Antaeus, The Dreamer, Eau Sauvage and Voyage d Hermes

Wishing: Tuscan Soul by Ferragamo and Concentré d Orange Verte

Quote Originally Posted by AlexPanzer View Post
    How do you define fine?

How do you know your fine is different then mine. I never said it had to be expensive. I like "the best" regardless of what name brand it may or may not be.

How do you know your fine is different then mine. I never said it had to be expensive. I like "the best" regardless of what name brand it may or may not be.
    I know my fine. My fine usually has to be to my taste, be of decent to good quality and price low to moderatly reasonable. There are exceptions sometimes and I have to pay premium if the item is a "must".

The best is usually expensive. Usually but not always. "The Best" is also frequently used a a marketing ploy like "best pizza in town". Sometimes it is difficult to measure "the best".

If you know what you're doing and blend the right mix of articles, you can dress impeccably for very little money.

I look 100-fold more expensively dressed in my cheapest assortment than the average moron with no taste who spent 100-fold more, only to look worse.

I splurge on suits. As with everything, I want my clothing chic and fit. I'd happily buy from Men's Wearhouse, if I could - but I can't, as only European cuts look well on me; so I have to go to Saks, Neiman, Barney's. Don't like it but it's necessary.

Cheap shoes & leather goods don't cut it either.

With respect to jewelry, I only wear 925 sterling, which costs nothing (pure silver is ~$11/ounce). I polish my items regularily and they look no different than freshly rhodium-plated white gold or platinum.

Frag.s are my absolute last priority and I won't spend past a certain price, because I know that there is something out there infinitely cheaper that will, for all intents and purposes, smell the same.

I'm not cheap; in fact, I spend lavishly. I just shop smart.

the people who say designer/luxury garments are "maybe a bit better quality than normal" are generally the people who have never actually owned one.

DKNY, Nautica, etc are not designer garments. They are crap just like everything else.

Let me tell you about a Versace silk jacket that I own. It is beautiful, fits perfectly, and feels like it weighs maybe 5 grams. It has also been with me for a long time, I've trashed it a million, its been with me through midnight mountain adventures and champagne fights. Its never ripped, torn or shown the slightest amount of wear. Its never even lost a button. Everytime I get it cleaned it is brand new and ready to go. It will never lose its style or fall out of fashion. This garment is actually worth its retail price tag of about 3-4k.

I did not pay that price. I paid 75 dollars for it. This is another story altogether... I cannot afford 3-4k. I could never buy it at the store. Even though I can't afford it I do not dispute that this jacket IS in fact worth its retail price. Same with my jil sander pumas. ebay = 50$ retail = 380$. These shoes have been through hell and have held together perfectly. Even 150 dollar pumas from the store look like they are made from the worst PVC and stitched by blind apes. I cannot afford even 150$ pumas from the store, which is why I buy on ebay.

I, similar to boyextraordinaire shop smart, and its not about logos, or brand names, or showing off to others. It is simply that consumer level goods nowadays have fallen to such pathetic standards that it has become NECCESARY to buy only high end products now if you wish to have something that ressembles an item that a human may have put even an iota of thought or care into while making.

edit: this isn't the way that I think it should be, but this is the way that it is. And as long as the people continue to be fooled by these new "luxury" companies that put out trash for 10k a piece, the real luxury will companies will have to continue to up the prices of their goods. The average citizen will never have access to a quality item again!
    Last edited by smellyliquid; 8th November 2008 at 07:14 PM.