Code of Conduct

Default Perfume - The movie all members here are obligated to watch!

View the trailer here: http://www.apple.com/trailers/dreamworks/perfume/

Now I know why niche perfumes are so expensive, considering the ingredients...

Default Re: Perfume - The movie all members here are obligated to watch!

can't believe they're making a movie of this -- one of my favorite books of all time, and one i always thought would be very difficult to translate to screen. i will defintely see this one though!
    baald

Buy my extra scents - mainly niche - over 50 items (tiny bottles)

May I suggest that you wear L'Artisan's Voleur de Rose to watch this movie? It is the perfect scent for this movie. Smells of passion and death.

Quote Originally Posted by eau_de_amour
    May I suggest that you wear L'Artisan's Voleur de Rose to watch this movie? It is the perfect scent for this movie. Smells of passion and death.
    Oh I wish I could share your enthusiasm for book and movie, EaudA! But wear VdR when I go? Nothing from my top shelf I want to later associate with that movie! But 4711 I will consider, I best take the bottle along, or else lavender oil ...

The movie has been running here for a month, and I am so not inspired! It received no more than lukewarm critiques in Germany and Switzerland, and those appetizers on TV didn't inspire me either. I got to go for atmospheric flair and 18th century France though. And if it saves me a trip to Grasse perfume museum, even the better!
    Last edited by narcus; 27th October 2006 at 01:50 PM.
    'Il mondo dei profumi è un universo senza limiti: una fraganza puo rievocare sensazioni, luoghi, persone o ancora condurre in uno spazio di nuove dimensioni emozionali' L. V.

Wow! Has anybody already watched it?
    Currently wearing: Versace l'Homme by Versace

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by narcus
    Oh I wish I could share your enthusiasm for book and movie

The movie has been running here for a month, and I am so not inspired!
    Good to know I'm not alone with my total lack of enthusiasm...

I found the book very poor and boooring so am not in the least bit interested in seeing the film version.
    "Wovon man nicht lesen kann, darüber muss man schreiben."

Wink Re: Perfume - The movie all members here are obligated to watch!

I have to agree with Narcus. Also in Italy this film has had bad rewievs both from public and experts. And the book was not really nice too... Sorry, I'll pass and keep sniffing my bottles

Quote Originally Posted by tigrushka
    Good to know I'm not alone with my total lack of enthusiasm...

I found the book very poor and boooring so am not in the least bit interested in seeing the film version.

What? Boring? Has to be the translation, cause I don't know anybody who read and it said was boring! Some people thought it was too disgusting for them, well, that's something different.
    It totally captured anybody I know and the way Süskind describes the 'fragrance-world' the 'hero' creates is downright fantastic.

Well, read 'the_good_life's signature, that's it!

What I want to tell you: READ THE BOOK (in german, if you can ;-), and forget the movie.

Some of my fellow academics considered the book banal, but I happen to think that Süskind is an absolutely unmatched stylist. His way with words is awe-inspring. I can see where this might get lost in translation. Never did have a look at the English translation.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by ukulele
    What? Boring? Has to be the translation, cause I don't know anybody who read and it said was boring!

What I want to tell you: READ THE BOOK (in german, if you can ;-), and forget the movie.
    I don't know enough German to read a book in it, but if you're unhappy with the word "boring", I can replace it with the Finnish word "tympeä" which translates in English as "flat, insipid, stale".
    "Wovon man nicht lesen kann, darüber muss man schreiben."

Wink Re: Perfume - The movie all members here are obligated to watch!

Quote Originally Posted by tigrushka
    I don't know enough German to read a book in it, but if you're unhappy with the word "boring", I can replace it with the Finnish word "tympeä" which translates in English as "flat, insipid, stale".
    Well, thats okay for me ;-)

Chacun à son goût.

The book is one of my all time favourites, I have lost count of the times that I have read it. I will be seeing the film.
    Currently wearing: Apple Brandy by By Kilian

I saw him two weeks ago..
    It was difficult to make a movie of something you can"t smell in a movie..but is is not bad, except the last 15 minutes...that was way over !! Would give it 7/10 ...
    Excellent performence and a very good picture of the 18th century..very realistic !
    Renz

It was always lady friends who kept saying 'you must read this book!' and 'It's been a bestseller for such and such a time...'! Some should have known me well enough, to spare me the second phrase. For me 'bestseller' means 'Warning! Beware of..!' and is seldom a recommendation. Nevertheless, I tried to read the book. I had to leave a couple of chapters aside, and never really got to the end of it. (Normally I am a very 'good' reader, starting at page 1, and not finishing until every word has been read, including footnotes). For me (again) the story did not develop in a natural way and much of it appered rather constructed. The author also has a heavy hand with words and sentences. No translator is to be blamed, if it is not well received by everybody. I even sympathize with the translator - that must have been hard labor.

I hear a lot of nose profiles are filmed to transport smells to the audience. A helpless approach that does not get better by repitition. Anyway, we'll see, maybe we get a pleasant surprise, and the film is better than the book!
    (I refrain from commenting my good fellow poster's signatures. Ironically, we all are in the wrong forum with this. )
    Last edited by narcus; 28th October 2006 at 08:58 AM.
    'Il mondo dei profumi è un universo senza limiti: una fraganza puo rievocare sensazioni, luoghi, persone o ancora condurre in uno spazio di nuove dimensioni emozionali' L. V.

SPOILERS

I just finished watching it and I really liked it. I didn't read the book. The main character is totally obsessed with scent to the point where he kills to extract the scent of beautiful women to create the most amazing scent ever known to man. The first hour or so of the movie shows methods of extracting essential oils and the mixing of perfumes (Dustin Hoffman plays a famous perfumist that teaches our "hero" the art of perfume making).
    The final 1/2 hour of the movie is amazing and shows in a very lovely way what happens when somebody creates a scent that bewitches the whole world.

At it's core the film is a mystery with fantasy elements especially near the end.

A very nice film with great sets, costumes and the score is amazing.

You should definitely see it.
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------
    Back on Basenotes after about a 6 year absence. Need to time to re-adjust

The first time I picked up Süskind's book from the library, I decided it was not for me after the first twenty pages. It seemed like a stupid horror tale to me, and I don't like horror.

Several years later I gave it another try, mostly out of curiosity. I felt I had to know first hand what this book was all about. I bought a cheap pocket version of the Dutch translation, and enjoyed it thoroughly. I found the story captivating, and the olfactory descriptions extremely vivid. I practically read it in one go, on a quiet weekend. I was unable to put the book down.

The movie is a different thing. One of the obvious problems is that it lacks the magic of Süskind's novel. I guess that's the difference between reading a book and watching a movie. In that respect, I think the two shouldn't be compared too closely. The book is far more compelling :-)

The thing I hated about the movie was the extras. As in most European productions, they were crap. And some of the CGI was pretty bad too. They recreated the Pont au Change (Baldini's residence) in 18th century style; in long-distance shots, it looks like cardboard.

Having said that, I thought the movie was good fun. I'm glad the producers gave it a shot. The result is not a timeless classic, nor a memorable experience, but that's not what I was expecting anyway. I had a good night at the cinema. And Dustin Hoffman's portrayal of Baldini was really funny too.

At least you people have the movie showing in your area. Here, I have to wait for DVD release.

"Ayez des idées simples, appliquez-les scrupuleusement, faites de bons produits et ne trichez jamais sur la qualité." Pierre-François Pascal Guerlain

Marcello thank you for this inspiring quote, not only to a perfumer like I am but to anybody as principles of life.

I got the book some years ago and I could not finish it but I jumped to the end out of curiosity.

The book seems written by a computer and none of the characters has any psychological depth or even likelihood of reality.
    Perfume is font of equilibrium and sanity, physical and psychological, all the contrary of what is proposed in the book.
    The author is pretending that it is better to compose perfumes with raw materials already diluted in alcohol which is utterly out of sense.
    It is very possible to get the perfume of a person, through his sweat and cleaning with alcohol the armpits, head and other parts of the body which produce the pheromones, exactly as I do with male goats to get a substitute for Muskdeer.
    It is no more necessary to kill the person than the goat.
    I do not even wonder if it is possible to do a good film out of a book of this quality, and I never explained myself how so many educated people have appreciated this authentic literary “croute”.
    Probably in the same way as many educated people are fooled by charlatans who read cards, mixing a truth with 99 lies you make them believe it is all good.

AbdesSalaam Attar
    https://attarperfumes.net/
    Last edited by Profumo; 28th June 2019 at 02:36 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Profumo
    "Ayez des idées simples, appliquez-les scrupuleusement, faites de bons produits et ne trichez jamais sur la qualité." Pierre-François Pascal Guerlain

Marcello thank you for this inspiring quote, not only to a perfumer like I am but to anybody as principles of life.

I got the book some years ago and I could not finish it but I jumped to the end out of curiosity.

The book seems written by a computer and none of the characters has any psychological depth or even likelihood of reality.
    Perfume is font of equilibrium and sanity, physical and psychological, all the contrary of what is proposed in the book.
    The author is pretending that it is better to compose perfumes with raw materials already diluted in alcohol which is utterly out of sense.
    It is very possible to get the perfume of a person, through his sweat and cleaning with alcohol the armpits, head and other parts of the body which produce the pheromones, exactly as I do with male goats to get a substitute for Muskdeer.
    It is no more necessary to kill the person than the goat.
    I do not even wonder if it is possible to do a good film out of a book of this quality, and I never explained myself how so many educated people have appreciated this authentic literary “croute”.
    Probably in the same way as many educated people are fooled by charlatans who read cards, mixing a truth with 99 lies you make them believe it is all good.
    In defense of the book:

Perhaps a computer translated it into Italian. Or did you read the original?

Grenouille is a sociopath, of course he has no depth. He kills women to capture their smell, because he has no sense of right or wrong. He is only driven by the perverse condition of having the perfect nose and no smell of his own. I found the portrayal of pre-Revolutionary France quite well done.

I have read as well that prior dilution in alcohol will bring a scent out more clearly than in raw form. Perhaps this was one school of thought in the 18th century? Perfume historians please?!

Did you not like the book because you felt it insulted/misrepresented your craft? I think perfume is just an allegory to make a few points about the human condition - and write an entertaining piece of upper-middlebrow literature. Don't take it personally .

Great line of work you're in!

I have bought the book a long time ago, but i have been reading all of my "next to read" on my book list and i'm way behind, if i finish some 5 books more soon i will be reading Perfume....
    I havent' seen the film either! i don't know what to do first if read the book or go see the movie...

Quote Originally Posted by castorpollux
    I have bought the book a long time ago, but i have been reading all of my "next to read" on my book list and i'm way behind, if i finish some 5 books more soon i will be reading Perfume....
    I havent' seen the film either! i don't know what to do first if read the book or go see the movie...
    Watch the movie first, it'll be a letdown otherwise, while the book will massively deepen the movie experience if you read it afterwards. Of course you'll have those pictures in your head then...

Thanks The_good_life!

Quote Originally Posted by Profumo

you're welcome. I found it in Annick Le Guérer's book "Le Parfum : des origines à nos jours" (2005), which I can highly recommend.

Since I won tickets to the premiere here in Holland, I went to see it today.

I really was impressed with the film's quality. The atmosphere and story of the book have, in my opinion, translated to the screen extremely well. It's definitely not your average Hollywood production. I also noticed that nearly everyone in the theatre was intrigued by most of the scenes, really carried away by what they saw. Very nice music too.

This movie is definitely material every scent-lover has to go and see, but it can reach far beyond that and will probably appeal to many more people. I really can't see why some critics find it so-so. I guess they're just not so connected with their sense of smell to realize the beauty?
    Last edited by BrothaG; 3rd December 2006 at 01:52 PM.
    "Perfume is the dream that carries me."

There is always the sky to look at

I'm waiting to see the movie, but I have to say I enjoyed reading the book. Even though it got ponderous by being repetitive once in a while, it was engrossing. Even more so that I am a perfume lover!
    De gustibus non est disputandum
    Currently wearing: Black XS by Paco Rabanne

Basenotes Plus

I have finished 3 or 4 books since starting this one. I'm forcing myself to finish it. It does teach an important lesson though. You can take any short story and make it novel length by repeating the same idea on 3 or 4 or as many as 8 or 9 lines. If that's not obvious after the first 2 pages you might enjoy this book.

:wave:

Gary

I did go and see the movie and had a pleasant surprise. It transports the major part of an unlikely story better that the book did. It also beautifies it considerably and thus makes it easier to digest. It is debateable whether this was a must, or not. As has been mentioned by others before: 'the last fiften minutes' of the story are not tranlated well into pictures. For me that is from the very moment Grenouille chooses to perfume himself under the gallows, until his very end in Paris. All inspiration must have left the director and camera team when filming the market scene (mass mating). It is as bizarre, as it is (innocently) amateurish, not sexy, just boring and slow. More of it here: http://community.basenotes.net/showthread.php?t=186383
    Last edited by narcus; 4th December 2006 at 11:45 AM.