Code of Conduct
    Post Thanks / Like

Default New York, New York

Well, after bitching about Chergui yesterday I tried another from my freshly arrived set of decants and I'm happy to say that New York by Patricia de Nicolai is right down my alley, or make that 5th Ave. Again, these are only brief first impressions, but this is evidently a classically constructed perfume not, like so many contemporary releases, based either on a superficial shock effect or just bland cubicle water. No, this oozes class, it's a masterful composition in which all the ingredients combine to make a perfectly balanced whole that you don't even want to analyze but just enjoy in all its grandeur. It may be New York, but its not noisy, busy downtown Manhattan, more that of aristocratic New Amsterdam families with lineages as old as they get in the New World. Or the 1930s, Art Deco, Chrysler Building, ties and tales, Cole Porter, suave, sophisticated, yes America can be this, too. In the end though it comes across as a very European style perfume not afraid of bluntly asserting its (and its wearer's) superior rank. I adore it already and it will make a mighty fine complement to the three-piece-suit-gold watch outfit. This is going to be a five star baby for sure. I'll talk about the actual notes another time.
    My Wardrobe
    II est de forts parfums pour qui toute matière/Est poreuse. On dirait qu'ils pénètrent le verre.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: New York, New York

Thanks for this interesting review. I am now planning to make sure I find Nicolai New York soon before I make any other purchase.

Joe

It was silent for a while ,but it looks like this one is getting attention lately again. It's been a favorite of mine for quite a while now and I hope this is not getting too popular now, cause it's my secret , you hear!! You guys keep wearing your Bond no.9's and Malles ok and forget about Nicolai's New York now, ...come on !! New York is mine,....MINE...!

Ah well, welcome to the club .... , and stop posting about this , ok?

Let's start a Creed post again..., anyone? , please?
    Last edited by eric; 26th November 2006 at 12:10 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

Is NY similar to BdP ?
    -

Thrax

Quote Originally Posted by eric
    It was silent for a while ,but it looks like this one is getting attention lately again. It's been a favorite of mine for quite a while now and I hope this is not getting too popular now, cause it's my secret , you hear!! You guys keep wearing your Bond no.9's and Malles ok and forget about Nicolai's New York now, ...come on now!! New York is mine,....MINE...!

Ah well, welcome to the club .... , and stop posting about this now, ok?
    I had a bottle of this one once. And brother, you can keep it.

Quote Originally Posted by Thrax
    I had a bottle of this one once. And brother, you can keep it.
    That's the spirit!! ...brother.

Goodlife, if you're thinkin about buying this online I'd recommend buying it from the original Nicolai website in Paris. The 100ml one is cheaper than on the "First in fragrance" website , even including the shipping. And you can be sure it's fresh!
    Last edited by eric; 26th November 2006 at 12:26 AM.

Patricia de Nicolaï's New York smells, to me, like Eau Sauvage sweetened and warmed by a touch of amber and cinnamon. This is not necessarily a bad idea, but I don't understand the hyperbolic praise for this fragrance coming from Luca Turin and others.

I do understand those who have called it a "chameleon" or said it tricks or confuses them: the dry citrus-herb-vetiver component à l'Eau Sauvage contrasts with, but largely dominates the relatively subdued spicy sweetness. It's not an obvious combination, but neither is it compelling nor repulsive; merely an odd juxtaposition of the otherwise familiar.

(edit: zztopp: I don't find any significant similarity between New York and Bois du Portugal. The latter gives me a nice rich wood that fades after a few hours into something sickly sour; maybe it's ambergris.)
    Last edited by d4; 26th November 2006 at 02:25 AM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

As a new owner of New York, I have to agree with d4: I don't understand Turin's "heart" rating for this one. I do believe this is a "good" fragrance, but definitely not superlative in my book.

Edited to add: this is based on wearing it only once, so caveat emptor!
    Last edited by ifconfig; 26th November 2006 at 01:57 AM.
    De gustibus non est disputandum

Post Thanks / Like

I am one that finds PdN's New York superlative. That opening is one of the most original accords I've smelled in a few months; the heart notes, spicy, subdued, smooth, chameleon; and the drydown, elegant, superb and long lasting. It has a very classic construction and yet it is remarkably contemporary.

Edit: New York, New York--it's a hell of a scent.
    Last edited by foetidus; 26th November 2006 at 02:19 AM.

It's the one I always reach for when I can't decide what to wear - and it always works.

Post Thanks / Like

In case you missed it, here's what I think of it. See my last post but a caveat is in order as I've only had a spray or two from my gifted sample(Thanks Christian!).

Coincidentally, my DW just got back from her first-ever trip to NY. She and her best friend(girl-wise ) went with a group. Staying at the Renaissance, they had a great time.

Dan
    [SIZE=3][SIZE=2]"We are fast approaching the stage of the ultimate inversion: the stage where the government is free to do anything it pleases, while the citizens may act only by permission; which is the stage of the darkest periods of human history, the stage of rule by brute force." Ayn Rand...[/SIZE][/SIZE]

"The essence of fascism is to make laws forbidding everything and then enforce them selectively against your enemies."
    [URL="http://www.basenotes.net/wardrobe/2755"][COLOR=green]
    [INDENT]Daily Wardrobe [/INDENT][/COLOR]
    [/URL]

Post Thanks / Like

I completely agree with Turin's heart of approval for de Nicolai's New York. This and SL's Chene are my two great loves. I have nearly emptied my 100-ml bottle of NY, which is quite a feat since I only wear New York in cold weather.

Tastes differ on NY, however. My ex-wife (an olfactory Visigoth) hated it.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Prof_S
    An olfactory Visigoth! Hahahah!! That's beyond good, prof.

I guess I must be one a dem Visigoths!

Post Thanks / Like

Post Re: New York, New York

Indeed, truly great scent. I find this somewhat similar to Bois du Portugal, only more wearable and somehow complete. Formal is obviously relative concept when talking about fragrances, but for my money, this is the best one.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Prof_S
    Certainly sufficient grounds for divorce . I also like the way you relativize your relativism by introducing the concept of olfactory barbarism. Or as the Visigoths say: laughed my a.. off .
    My Wardrobe
    II est de forts parfums pour qui toute matière/Est poreuse. On dirait qu'ils pénètrent le verre.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by the_good_life
    Certainly sufficient grounds for divorce . I also like the way you relativize your relativism by introducing the concept of olfactory barbarism. Or as the Visigoths say: laughed my a.. off .
    The other day, a friend of mine came by and was looking at my fragrances and said that he used to love wearing them, but his wife hated the smell and wouldn't let him wear any. I immediately thought the same thing as you... "certainly sufficient grounds for divorce." I simply couldn't imagine being with somebody who wouldn't "let" me spritz...

As for New York, I've ordered a bottle as well, based on the various recommendations here. I look forward to giving it a try.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

You must, of course, rach, give us a review when it comes in?

Post Thanks / Like

I have heard on a few occasions people complaining that it smells too feminine. Now I feel that way about some sometimes, most recently L'Eau d Hiver and today's Unicorn Spell, but I really think this is unisex.

Quote Originally Posted by zztopp
    Is NY similar to BdP ?
    I find the top notes to be similar, but that's about it. Still, I would wear either for the same occasions.
    [FONT=Book Antiqua]MisterK / Vicomte de K / K[/FONT]
    [FONT=Book Antiqua]Ephemeral Top 5: YSL PH HC, Worth PH, Equipage, Monsieur Rochas HC, Acqua di Gio[/FONT]

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ifconfig
    You must, of course, rach, give us a review when it comes in?
    But of course!

John

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by MisterK
    I find the top notes to be similar, but that's about it. Still, I would wear either for the same occasions.
    Uhoh! Really? I'm not in love with the top notes of NY, so I probably should change my order for a decant of BdP, no? What do you think MisterK, what Creed do you like best, if at all?

Post Thanks / Like

Has anyone else noticed that Borneo 1834 is quite similar to this in the very drydown? To me they share the same ambery sweetness mixed with cinnamon, only Borneo is more heavier on patchouli...
    Both are excellent fragrances, but I think I prefer Borneo, as New York has a tendency to smell a little too dated on me..

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Oscar
    ...but I think I prefer Borneo, as New York has a tendency to smell a little too dated on me..
    I've heard good things about Borneo. I really need to get a sample of this!

By the way, what do you mean by "dated"? I've heard this term used from time to time and wondered.

Cheers!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Oscar
    Has anyone else noticed that Borneo 1834 is quite similar to this in the very drydown? To me they share the same ambery sweetness mixed with cinnamon, only Borneo is more heavier on patchouli...
    Both are excellent fragrances, but I think I prefer Borneo, as New York has a tendency to smell a little too dated on me..
    Huh? That's a strange one. Borneo is ALL patchouli and dark chocolate to my nose. Very dry and dark. New York has that bright fresh citrus opening and ambery spicy drydown. The only thing it really reminds me of are the classic Guerlains that are so often noted - Jicky and Mitsouko in particular.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ifconfig
    I've heard good things about Borneo. I really need to get a sample of this!

By the way, what do you mean by "dated"? I've heard this term used from time to time and wondered.

Cheers!
    It does smell a little bit too old-school for some - powdery citrus. With that said I love the scent, but it makes it more of a scent that suits formal events.

Post Thanks / Like

Got my bottle today; I like it so far, but want to try it out for a few days. Nevertheless, the bottle received is still fresh and hasn't turned.

EDIT: Okay, I've had a chance to wear it for a day or two. In the directory reviews, a few members called this scent a "chameleon." Well, that's a very good description. I went from loving the scent to hating it to liking it again at the end. It starts off citrus-y, then on me it quickly became REALLY powdery, so much so that it became cloying and turned me off. Then, just about the point I had decided I really didn't like this scent and wanted to get rid of my bottle, the powderiness softened and I got something sweet (amber maybe) and the rest of the night was fine.

So, I'm going to hold onto this one and try it out some more and see if I can make heads or tails of it.
    Last edited by rach2jlc; 6th December 2006 at 12:55 AM.
    Is there any point in saying everything? -Basho

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Excellent, rach2. I'll await your further review in a few days.

Post Thanks / Like

Okay, New York just isn't happening for me. I like it for a while, then I hate it, then I sort of like it.
    I could probably go in circles with it for weeks, but I don't think I'm ever going to cross that "I love it!" line.

Anybody want my bottle? I'd much rather send it to somebody who loves it. PM me and I'll give you a great price for my 1.7 ($25?). Besides, I've got some Mure et musc coming in the mail and want to free up some space on the shelf.
    Last edited by rach2jlc; 6th December 2006 at 12:59 AM.
    Is there any point in saying everything? -Basho

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Rach, that's exactly the way I feel about it, yes! Glad to see I'm not the only one.

Post Thanks / Like

Even as a big fan of New York, I have to agree that its powdery stage late in the top notes is not all that comfortable for a guy. I'm not all that fond of the citrus opening either. Consequently, I only wear this stuff when I can wander arround at home with my shirt off after application for at least half an hour to get through the stages of New York's evolution that I don't crave to get into the notes that I love in this fragrance.

Since I go to this effort to get rid of the head notes, I don't even think of New York as being a citrusey scent.

Incidentally, for a while I feared that my elder daughter (a high school senior) was going to prove to be a member of the Mongol horde of olfactory barbarians too. She recently waltzed into the bathroom after I had just applied some of Serge Luten's Chene (my other great love) before going out to a modern dance performance and exclamed that I had just "shot on a really nasty one." Fortunately, an hour later she changed her mind and decided it was "not so bad". I would have chosen something like "paradisical" as a description instead, but I was happy to accept whatever retraction I could get.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Pray, what do High School seniors know from good anyway!?! :-)

Post Thanks / Like

The good thing is, you get 2 perfumes for the price of one, first the rather pleasant green herbal whiff, then the completely unrelated BDP clone base.
    Good stuff, but, perhaps for sentimental reason, I still prefer the original BDP.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

I received a sample of Bois du Portugal from scentronic (thanks, mate!) today. My first impressions: New York is almost a duplicate of BdP although sharper or more bubbly--in the Champagne sense--than BdP. To my nose, BdP seems a more linear scent than NY and that may be my favorite part of the Creed product. I'm coming to terms with NY's heart and base notes; I hope to find out just why Turin gave this a heart.