Code of Conduct

Exclamation Ungaro III is so impotent!!!!

Today i received a sealed bottle of Ungaro III which i bought on ebay from a seller in the US...I had such high hopes from this one after reading such rave reviews about this one...Unfortunately this one turned out to be a damp squib...i believed that Ungaro III metamorphose after an hour of wearing...Yes it does change its character...It just vanishes in an hour of spraying...Until the time it vanishes, it just exists mildly and to notice it i have to bring my wrist within centimetres of my nose...mind you i copiously sprayed this juice twice on my neck...and 1 squirt each on both my wrists and 1 squirt each on the back of my wrist...thats like 6 squirts...and its gone...JUST GONE...the smell is agreeable though until you can smell it that is...but its NOT a dark scent...it just doesnt have a pungency of a 'dark' scent...the scent is lemony & floral...

I may be entirely wrong in my assessment of this one...but believe me this is the way it is...Just for your information...the bottle that i got came sealed in cellophane...looks entirely original to me...and has this outer carton that has red florals on it...i got 6 perfumes from this seller in all and all other perfumes seem just fine to me...hard to believe that this could be a fake...

So my fellow basenoters...what is wrong with this particular Ungaro III? You think it is spoilt? and if you think it is spoilt how can i convince the seller that it is?

i still refuse to believe that Ungaro III can actually be such a disappointment...so many experts here cannot be so drastically wrong on this one... i did read a rare mention here and there by a few members that this juice doesnt last but then majority here advocate that is fantastic stuff...

Give me your suggestions/opinions on this issue..

thanks in advance

gupts
    Last edited by gupts; 27th October 2006 at 03:18 PM.

Default Re: Ungaro III is so impotent!!!!

My experience with Ungaro III was the same...no lasting power at all. What a shame, it's such a great smelling fragrance.
    Are you not entertained??? Is this not why you are here??

I'm with you gupts. I doubt that it's spoiled.

http://community.basenotes.net/showp...9&postcount=22

i was so unimpressed by ungaro III, it must be that they changed the formula because there is no way the scent i smelled is the one that gets such good reviews around here

Mine lasts on me.

It's unfortunate but I guess that you just have to accept that there are two categories of scents that you occasionally run across:
    a. Those that have no lasting power on a fair few people, while others are adamant that they last all day on them - for me such scents include Eau Sauvage and Yohji, and
    b. Scents that go so subtle that you can hardly detect them after an hour, yet others claim that they're their strongly - for me such scents include Rive Gauche, Emporio Armani, Bvlgari Pour Homme.

The only way you can verify this is to ask a few people to test them on the back of their hands for you, and that those people not be family members.
    Renato

I've personally have no problem with Ungaro III's longevity. It is certainly not outstanding but I do get about 6 hours. Since it is a fragrance I would typically use in the evening, 6 hours is fine. That being said, Ungaro I has much better longevity and to my mind is a much better fragrance.

I normally get 5-6 from this frag and tonnes of sillage in the opening notes
    Renato is right you`ve found one that does`nt come alive on your skin.

Quote Originally Posted by gupts
    the smell is agreeable though until you can smell it that is...but its NOT a dark scent...it just doesnt have a pungency of a 'dark' scent...the scent is lemony & floral...
    Hey, Now I'm lost!!
    We had a lot of threads where people would die saying U3 was a dark scent and now we have a completely different impression by Gupts: lemony & floral...
    Another case of overrated comments?!

I think Ungaro III is one of the lamest scents I've ever smelled. Oh, and to top it off, while I was decanting for RTBar my bottle broke. Yay.

I sampled it in France where it is easily available at least. They did change the formula not too long ago, but I tested the one with the red/black package, i.e. the old one as I was told. I was ready to buy it, but then I hesitated. I must have expected some darker Rose like Malle's and Lutens', or perhaps in the strength of Voleur dR. But I could only pick up little rose, and that was not dark, and vanished way too soon. Sobering experience! But I may not have given the test enough time, as there were more things try. Next time I will expect little and may get a big surprise! So far, I cannot add it to the five biggest personal discoveries in 2006. Quel domage!
    Last edited by narcus; 27th October 2006 at 08:43 PM.
    'Il mondo dei profumi č un universo senza limiti: una fraganza puo rievocare sensazioni, luoghi, persone o ancora condurre in uno spazio di nuove dimensioni emozionali' L. V.

Ungaro III lasts 8-10 hours on me and smells absolutely wonderful!!! I gave it the "signature scent" label a while back for myself and can't imagine not having a bottle of this great scent...........luckily I have four bottles and they all smell the same.

I have the old bottle with the red and black box and its longevityn is awesome hours and hours (5-6) smells like rose, and maybe patchouli, and a bit of amber and vanilla. Check Scented monkey and call them and ask them what the boxes look like that they are selling if its red and blacks its the old good stuff...call and ask thats what I got from them at a cheap price to boot...

It's not the greatest scent ever made but it's not a bad one by any means. Has generous amounts of of patchouli, vetiver and sandalwood. Geranium gives it some brightness, a pick-me-up. Well made overall. The sandalwood dominated dry down is surprisingly good. The dry down is tenacious and the scent lasts strong 8-10 hours on me.

It's not in the same class as Ungaro 1 by any means, but that's hard to accomplish. Not that they smell alike, but Ungaro 3 reminds me of Envy in that it's not the greatest fragrance, but it does smell extremely good. It could use a little something to make it a bit more compelling (give it more hook) but gets a thumbs up from me either way. I liked it a lot more after a few months of wearing off and on. I was able to pick up more of the notes, etc.

Stick with it. You might end up liking it a lot.
    "You have to paint things black if you want to make future possibilities more vivid."
    - Michel Foucault

I have both the old bottle--which I treasure, and the new formulation which is a pathetic attempt at implying what the old formula was like. They are not the same. It's been reformulated for the current mass market tastes.

Quote Originally Posted by foetidus
    I have both the old bottle--which I treasure, and the new formulation which is a pathetic attempt at implying what the old formula was like. They are not the same. It's been reformulated for the current mass market tastes.
    Can you clarify whats the difference between the appearance of the old bottle and the new bottle?
    As far as i know the old bottle comes in this red floral box and the bottle is black with this gold lining in between the cap and the bottle.
    The new bottle comes in a black box and i am told it doesnt have any gold lining in it. Am i correct?

and just to affirm my Ungaro III came in the red box and has a gold lining...

gupts

"You have to paint things black if you want to make future possibilities more vivid."
    - Michel Foucault

Quote Originally Posted by The_Giraffe
    I think Ungaro III is one of the lamest scents I've ever smelled. Oh, and to top it off, while I was decanting for RTBar my bottle broke. Yay.
    It is a shoddy bottle. The gold trim around the bottom of mine cracked into pieces. The spray mechanism malfunctions as well.
    Last edited by pluran; 27th October 2006 at 11:56 PM.
    - Michel Foucault

I just swapped mine out. Bought it blind and it turned out to be the most overhyped scent I ever came across. "Goth in a bottle" and "wet fall leaves"? I don't think so. More like patchouli overkill. Not much rose at all. Very light with mediocre longevity. I think Zino does this type of scent much better. Glad it's gone.
    "I exist for myself, and for those to whom my unquenchable thirst for freedom gives everything, but also for everyone, since insofar as I am able to love - I love everyone. Of noble hearts, I am the noblest - and the most generous of those that yearn to give love in return. - I am a human being, I love death and I love life."

Egon Schiele - Self-Potrait

My classics: Dior Homme EdT, YSL Rive Gauche PH, Helmut Lang Cuiron, L'Occitane Neroli (vintage), Davidoff Zino, L'Occitane Eau des Baux

http://www.basenotes.net/wardrobe/2976

Quote Originally Posted by manicboy
    I just swapped mine out. Bought it blind and it turned out to be the most overhyped scent I ever came across. "Goth in a bottle" and "wet fall leaves"? I don't think so. More like patchouli overkill. Not much rose at all. Very light with mediocre longevity. I think Zino does this type of scent much better. Glad it's gone.
    Manicboy..yours came in a red and a black box?

Why So Serious?

I think the bottle plays a bigger part than the box.

I remember my dad used to have a Ungaro III bottle that had a red brownish cap, and without the gold trims, but it came in a red and black box. If you check online, they are mostly a black bottle with black cap and gold trims, but still in a red and black box. And the newest one is with the same black cap and gold trim bottle, but in a black box. Seems to me there all 3 different packaging if you include the bottle and the box.

So my assumption is that the one with the red cap with no gold trims was the old formulation, if you check the picture in the basenotes directory, i think that bottle is shown there. That bottle is so hard to find these days, i only came across it about 2 years ago, but didn't grab it because i didn't like it much when i tested my dad's bottle. However i havent tested the new bottles, so i dont know if there's in fact a difference. All i remember about the old bottle was some damp mossy frag, wasn't a fan.
    Current top 5:
    1. Puredistance M
    2. Yosh Sombre Negra
    3. Amouage Fate Man
    4. Parfums de Marly Galloway
    5. Naomi Goodsir Bois d'Ascese

I have a post that I started exactly about this guys search it you'll find exactly what type of box you want....

Manicboy..yours came in a red and a black box?
    Don't know, it was a tester. It did have the gold trim plates on top and bottom.
    "I exist for myself, and for those to whom my unquenchable thirst for freedom gives everything, but also for everyone, since insofar as I am able to love - I love everyone. Of noble hearts, I am the noblest - and the most generous of those that yearn to give love in return. - I am a human being, I love death and I love life."

Egon Schiele - Self-Potrait

My classics: Dior Homme EdT, YSL Rive Gauche PH, Helmut Lang Cuiron, L'Occitane Neroli (vintage), Davidoff Zino, L'Occitane Eau des Baux

http://www.basenotes.net/wardrobe/2976

Can you clarify whats the difference between the appearance of the old bottle and the new bottle?
    As far as i know the old bottle comes in this red floral box and the bottle is black with this gold lining in between the cap and the bottle.
    The new bottle comes in a black box and i am told it doesnt have any gold lining in it. Am i correct?

and just to affirm my Ungaro III came in the red box and has a gold lining...

gupts
    I have the 30 ml size of the old one so it is a plain black bottle and a red cap with no gold rim. My new one is a 100ml that's dark purpleish? (I'm colorblind) I don't know the cap or the box because it was a tester.

I think this shows that there is something genuinely odd about the sense of smell. Philosophers imagine that we could all have different qualitative sensations (qualia) for colours, but the issue seems far more real with odours.

To me Ungaro III is a very beautiful fragrance: there is definitely no citrus, and the flowers are reminiscent of roses if not actually rose. It is moderately long lasting but not as much as Ungaro I or II. But since it is primarily a night time fragrance this does not overly matter.

I don't for a minute doubt what you say you are smelling, Gupts, but it bears no relation to my experience. I doubt if this is an issue of reformulation, just inevitable subjectivity. (No one has ever presented any coherent story on just when this reformulation might have occurred — it is irrelevant when, or if, the box changed, and the only one I've seen on sale has the red and black flowery box. If it was reformulated, I suspect that it was independent of any box change, and much longer ago.)

It would be nice to get some authoritative comment from Ungaro, but of course we never will.

Gupts — Chalk it up to the variability of experience! I will go on loving this one. (I'm wearing it tonight.)

cheers

Eluard