Code of Conduct

Default Review: Thé Brun by Jean-Charles Brosseau

Most unusual scent -- this one definitely intrigues me. Imagine a faint citrus lingering behind a veil of smoke and dark tea, perhaps Lapsang Souchong or a similar brew. Very dark and brooding at first, with heavy emphasis on the smoky notes. Dries down to a lovely tea scent -- by far the strongest (and some of the most interesting) tea notes I've smelled to date.

This, I'm sure, is what a 19th century Chinese teahouse must have smelled like. All I need now is a mandarin sitting across the table from me, smoking a black bamboo pipe and stroking his long, white beard. This scent is some very evocative stuff, but probably not for everyone. (You will likely be a tea aficionado, or at least an ardent fan of tea notes in fragrances, if you appreciate this scent as much as I do. Put another way, well, if you like Bulgari Black, Tea for Two, and/or Silver Mountain Water, you'll likely go crazy for Thé Brun.)

Average longevity (i.e., four to six hours), with excellent sillage.

I have said for years that Brosseau's Ombre Rose was/is one of the best buys out there on the women's market, and so was happy to see this house has finally created scents for men. That said, this is easily a unisex scent, although by no means traditionally "feminine."

Very, very good stuff, this, and very reasonably priced as well -- I purchased a 3.4 oz. tester for around $30.00. (Will definitely stock up on this one, as the Damoclean sword of discontinuation seems to loom large over many a frag these days!)
    Last edited by tvlampboy; 27th October 2006 at 07:54 PM.

Peggy: "Right now, we have to get to the mental institution. Something terrible has happened."
    Latrelle: "What?"
    Peggy: "Brother Boy has tried to kill himself. He jumped out of his bedroom window."
    Latrelle: "Isn't he only on the second floor?"
    Peggy: "Yes, but he hit his head on a lawn gnome."
    Fr. Sordid Lives: The Series
    "Live, live, live! Life is a banquet, and most poor suckers are starving to death."
    Auntie Mame
    [/B]

Default Re: Review: Thé Brun by Jean-Charles Brosseau

Thanks for your review ... I love tea notes and have been curious about this one for a while.
    Beauty is an ecstasy; it is as simple as hunger.
    There is really nothing to be said about it.
    It is like the perfume of a rose: you can smell it and that is all.

--W. Somerset Maugham

My Wardrobe

Post Thanks / Like

Here are the listed notes found online:

Bergamot, Green Leaves, Lavender, Violet, Spices, Jasmine, Orange Blossom, Cumin, Tea, Palisander Wood, and Musk

Sounds very interesting! I was warned against getting the new Atlas Cedar scent. I don't remember why...

Post Thanks / Like

Great review! Although I am not a lover of tea notes in a fragrance, I did like this one a lot.

Paintrman:

GenuineImitationLife commented on 20 October that he thought the Atlas Cedar had a far too cedar-y smell to it, and that it was bad enough that it might well make some people nauseated.

I wouldn't know, as I haven't tried it yet. That said, I have to admit that I tend to really LIKE strong cedar fragrances myself (at least USUALLY I do) -- for example, both Eau de Cèdre and Equus, both of which are VERY heavy on the cedar.

All three of these 2005 Brosseau releases, from what I can gather, have very strong notes (be they cedar, tea, or woods & fruits) that are central to the scents themselves. Atlas Cedar, I gather, is very sharp and strong and linear. (Thé Brun is anything but that, although the tea notes DO run the course all the way.) I don't know about the third scent in the collection, but I doubt that it's too linear, as a mélange of woods and fruits is central to the scent itself. I HAVE read that it's very, very sweet, though.
    Last edited by tvlampboy; 27th October 2006 at 09:46 PM.

Peggy: "Right now, we have to get to the mental institution. Something terrible has happened."
    Latrelle: "What?"
    Peggy: "Brother Boy has tried to kill himself. He jumped out of his bedroom window."
    Latrelle: "Isn't he only on the second floor?"
    Peggy: "Yes, but he hit his head on a lawn gnome."
    Fr. Sordid Lives: The Series
    "Live, live, live! Life is a banquet, and most poor suckers are starving to death."
    Auntie Mame
    [/B]

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by tvlampboy
    Most unusual scent -- this one definitely intrigues me. Imagine a faint citrus lingering behind a veil of smoke and dark tea, perhaps Lapsang Souchong or a similar brew. Very dark and brooding at first, with heavy emphasis on the smoky notes. Dries down to a lovely tea scent -- by far the strongest (and some of the most interesting) tea notes I've smelled to date.

This, I'm sure, is what a 19th century Chinese teahouse must have smelled like. All I need now is a mandarin sitting across the table from me, smoking a black bamboo pipe and stroking his long, white beard. This scent is some very evocative stuff, but probably not for everyone. (You will likely be a tea aficionado, or at least an ardent fan of tea notes in fragrances, if you appreciate this scent as much as I do. Put another way, well, if you like Bulgari Black, Tea for Two, and/or Silver Mountain Water, you'll likely go crazy for Thé Brun.)

Average longevity (i.e., four to six hours), with excellent sillage.

I have said for years that Brosseau's Ombre Rose was/is one of the best buys out there on the women's market, and so was happy to see this house has finally created scents for men. That said, this is easily a unisex scent, although by no means traditionally "feminine."

Very, very good stuff, this, and very reasonably priced as well -- I purchased a 3.4 oz. tester for around $30.00. (Will definitely stock up on this one, as the Damoclean sword of discontinuation seems to loom large over many a frag these days!)
    Excellent review. I was wondering about this one for a while--I'll be looking into it now.

Post Thanks / Like

Atlas Cedar notes:

Clementine, Cedar, Rhubarb, Nutgmeg, Cardamon, Jasmine, Iris, Sandalwood, Cinnamon, and Musk.

Fruit de Bois:

Bergamot, Grapefruit, Sage, Geranium, Nutmeg, Vetiver, Cedar, Sandalwood, Juniper and Amber

I am a huge cedar and cardamon fan. The infamous "b.o." note doesn't scare me away...in fact, I kind of fancy it. I am still thinking of ordering the Atlas Cedar unsniffed even though I was warned. I wish I could remember who I was talking to about it but they didn't like it at all. The' Brun sounds great as well. Is it mostly a Fall-Winter type scent or possibly year around?