Code of Conduct

Post mens colognes we like for ourselves

i'm just not in to a fruity or floral. i actually like many mens fragrances for myself.
    what are some other women are wearing? i like burberry for autum. polo blue for summer. and i was wearing the abercrombie and fitch woods for winter and autum but it is discontinued. i have been searching for a replacement.

Default Re: mens colognes we like for ourselves

I like Dior's Eau Sauvage. But only when I'm out of Diorella.

I occasionally wear one of my husband's fragrances but not on a regular basis. Lately, I'm liking fragrances that are intended for both sexes - Bulgari Eau Parfumee Extreme, Creed Silver Mountain Water, some others. I was a fan of CKOne for a while, had the fragrance spray and body lotion. I still like that one as a matter of fact.

I like Gendarme, and it's the only one I wear with any regularity. I'm very fond of Timbuktu, and I have a partial bottle from ebay. I haven't quite worked up my nerve to wear it as a SOTD, but I'll get there!

Your Timbuktu would be great when we go fishing SC . It's one of my 5/5s. And yes, I wear one of my favorites when I go fishing .

Dan
    [SIZE=3][SIZE=2]"We are fast approaching the stage of the ultimate inversion: the stage where the government is free to do anything it pleases, while the citizens may act only by permission; which is the stage of the darkest periods of human history, the stage of rule by brute force." Ayn Rand...[/SIZE][/SIZE]

"The essence of fascism is to make laws forbidding everything and then enforce them selectively against your enemies."
    [URL="http://www.basenotes.net/wardrobe/2755"][COLOR=green]
    [INDENT]Daily Wardrobe [/INDENT][/COLOR]
    [/URL]

I just discovered Guerlain Vetiver. It is niiiiiice. smooth, warm soft, not floral. rather woody but not a dark forest smell. more of a sweetgrass smell. or like a bamboo mat in the rain smell.

I like Nikos, BMen, and Gucci pour Homme. Gucci for women is very tepid on me, but the men's version is fantastic!

Blog Entries

I too prefer men's colonges to women's perfumes. Some of my favorites are Lolita Lempicka au masculin, Givenchy Pi, Burberry Brit, Gendarme (good call, Shycat), Clinique Happy, Kenneth Cole Reaction, & Azzaro Chrome. I also enjoy a handful of unisex (or shared) scents such as Bvlgari Black, Thierry Mugler Cologne, and CK be/one.
    "Wait...is David Bowie really God?" - Penelope Garcia

See my wardrobe.
    "Wovon man nicht lesen kann, darüber muss man schreiben."

I used to find almost all men's colognes more attractive than women's scents. I used to be a lot more picky with the women's scents. But i became all spoiled now and don't really feel like wearing musculine scents anymore, which is too bad. There are a few that are just fantastic. I am getting back to them now. Eau Sauvage is an all time favourite. Guerlain' Heritage and Vetiver I really like too. M7 is beautiful, woody, musky with raspberry tones. Gucci Pour Homme is a gorgeous incense scent, and I am discovering others.
    I prefer the A*Men over the Angel for women, that's for sure. I am also craving Mugler's Cologne now. Easy to dismiss, unfortunately. This is an unusual fragrance, starting out citrusy and seemingly just a "cologne" but soon turns soapy-clean and musky in the most original way possible.
    Ayala Moriel, Perfumer
    Ayala Moriel Parfums http://www.ayalamoriel.com/
    Visit my SmellyBlog: http://www.smellyblog.com/

Now I have in my collection only Gaiac and Patchouli M.Micallef, but some years ago I bought especially for me Emporio Armani for men and Pi Givenchy

thank you ladies, and gentleman. i looked a a few. the ones that containa food, like caramel, scent sound strange. i am not a fan of A*, ny mugler and the Sables sounded a bit too strong.

Live Jazz sounds like a good possiblilty for summer.

Quote Originally Posted by Loukoumi
    I just discovered Guerlain Vetiver. It is niiiiiice. smooth, warm soft, not floral. rather woody but not a dark forest smell. more of a sweetgrass smell. or like a bamboo mat in the rain smell.
    That's a nice one, I had it once. I love your description - makes me want it again!

Basenotes Plus

Some favorites:

Dior Bois d'Argent, Eau Noire
    Guerlain Habit Rouge, Héritage, Derby
    Jaïpur Homme
    Caron Le 3eme Homme
    Gucci Envy for Men
    Yves Saint Laurent M7
    Rochas Man
    Annick Goutal Sables
    Helmut Lang Cuiron pour Homme
    "I felt something so intense, I could only express it in a perfume." - Jacques Guerlain

Guerlain's Vetiver and Heritage...also like RL purple label

YSL's M7 & Dior Homme they are awesome... only I really with that Dior Homme lasted as long on me as it does on my hubby...

On the other hand, even though I cannot wear them myself Givency's Pi and Joop! are amazing on a dear g-friend of mine...
    Last edited by Goddess_Dreams; 30th October 2006 at 01:31 AM.
    "Of the five senses, the sense of smell is incontestably the one that best conveys a sense of immortality."

Salvador Dali

Lancome Miracle Pour Homme. I bought it for my husband, and he does wear it occasionally, but I like it enough that I started wearing it, too. Those coffee notes in the middle really do it for me, mmmm.

When I was a teenager, I liked to wear Mennen Hawk, but it's discontinued now. *sniff* Used to get a lot of compliments for that one!

bonni
    "Love is when a girl puts on perfume and a boy puts on shaving cologne and they go out and smell each other."
    -Karl, age 5

I also like very much Hermes Terre.

after diligently reading basenote reviews, ordering samples, striking out on a few large bottle orders i foolishly ordered, and months of research, i have men's cologne that I, a women, like to wear....

The Guerlain Vetiver was a good call. I think it is a conservative choice that should be pretty inoffensive.

I tried the new Burberry London. At first, it was too foodish and smelly, but something kept drawing me back to trying it out, luckily, this one is readily available at my local macy's. I just ordered a bottle of it!

Eau Savauge was a fantastic scent for about 15 minutes. i think the trick is to use it liberally and spray your clothing too.... a lot... at first, i didn't like this one due to it's last of staying power, but when it is around, it really does smell clean.

I tried the Gendarme. I thought it was too sweet but have friends that i think this will work for. also, I own amazing grace, pure grace and it smells very similar to Gendarme. I don't wear that one either...

The givency gentleman really is an excellent patchouli scent, if you like patchouli of course. i don't own this one yet, but it is on my list...

I just ordered the Equipage. It may not be something i wear everyday, but it was a nice, clean smell and lasted much longer than eau savauge.

looking at the unisex fragrances worked out well too. I see why CDG is such a popular maker here. I wore the Kyoto over the Christmas holidays. My sister did not like it, but I do.... She was more impressed with the Rive Gauche I bought for my husband which he was wearing...

After much research, I thought I'd pass what worked for me along to other ladies interested in wearing mens fragrances... I still haven't found a womens fragrance, but i really don't feel the need to anymore....

There are some men's colognes that I love for myself. M7, Pi, Men's Tomorrow. I have usually worn just womens, but I am finding that there are some men's colognes that smell mighty fine.

There are a couple of male scents which I would wear. Lately, I have been wearing some male scents to nightclubs as they stand out a lot more than women’s scents.
    I would wear the following: Le Male, Body Kouros, A*Men, M7, Guerlain's Vetiver, Creed's Original Vetiver, Dior Bois d'Argent.
    Other shared scents that I love:
    Carthusia Io Capri, Imperiale Millesime, Bvlgari Black, Dzing… (and many from the Serge Luten’s and L’Artisan range)

Good thread - interesting to think about...

Right after university I used to wear my (male) friends' frags and I remember loving Fendi Uomo. This reminds me to start trying men's colognes again...
    You will do foolish things, but do them with enthusiasm. -- Colette

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by the_lotus_goddess
    This reminds me to start trying men's colognes again...
    Please do . There are some really incredible ones out there.
    "Wait...is David Bowie really God?" - Penelope Garcia

DON'T DRINK AND DRESS

Blog Entries

And then there are fragrances made for women that can easily be worn by men and project a masculine scent on them. Paco Rabanne La Nuit comes immediately to mind.
    Our job is to live joyfully in this world of sorrows--Joseph Campbell

Thanks, CologneJunkie! One of the many great things about BN is the inspiration to try all sorts of new and different frags. I definitely plan on exploring some mens frags for myself now.
    You will do foolish things, but do them with enthusiasm. -- Colette

I have quite a few in my wardrobe and generally prefer men's or unisex fragrances.
    Beauty is an ecstasy; it is as simple as hunger.
    There is really nothing to be said about it.
    It is like the perfume of a rose: you can smell it and that is all.

--W. Somerset Maugham

My Wardrobe

I've always been a fan of men's scents. For a time, there were more men's and shared frags in my wardrobe than women's. Ones I wear and enjoy are Clinique Chemistry (a friend of mine who works for Lauder says a lot of Clinique counter girls wear this one); Alain Delon Iquitos (similar to Czech & Speake's No. 88, but a bit dryer and airier); C&S No. 88; C&S Cuba (probably the best tabacco I've ever smelled! LOVE IT!); Shiseido Basala (love it but haven't really worn it successfully yet); and Caron L'Anarchiste (I have tried before, I'm not giving up!).

Others I really dig but don't own include Issey Miyake Eau d'Issey Bleu, M7, and By Man Dolce Gabbana
    Beauty is but the sensible image of the Infinite.
    Like truth and justice it lives within us; like virtue and the moral law it is a companion of the soul.
    -George Bancroft {1800-1891 American Historian}

=

current favorites:
    Balmain Jolie Madame, Serge Lutens Muscs Kublai Khan
    =

My quoting: the not yet mentioned L'Instant pour Homme /Guerlain EDP combining elegance, sweetness and woodiness.
    "This luminous woody fragrance opens with fresh notes of jasmine, citrus and star anise, leading to notes of hibiscus, patchouli, sandalwood, lapsang tea and bitter cacao bean." YUMMY

Back in the 80s, Body Shop did an after shave called Raffles, that I loved, and purchased. I was rather surprised to find a girl friend of mine (my godmother's daughter, who was around my age as well) had also bought herself a bottle! It's not in the directory so I can't say what was in it, but I loved it and it's a shame it's no longer around.

Smile Re: mens colognes we like for ourselves

I like Burberry London for Men for me. My husband finds it too "sweet" for his taste, but I like it fine. I also like Pleasures for Men, Estee Lauder for me. Again, too sweet for my husband's taste, but...
    When I smell good, I feel good! Sounds easy doesn't it? It is...a pleasant scent is great for good moods!!

I love these, which are considered to be unisex or male:
    Santa Maria Novella Patchouli
    Montale Black Aoud, Vetiver Des Sables
    Etro - Shaal Nur, Messe de Minuit, Sandalo, Etra
    Lorenzo Villoresi - Sandalo
    Diptique - Tam Dao
    Frederic Malle - Vetiver Extraordinaire

If you can find it(discontinued), Derby by Guerlain is 'perfect' for a Lady.

And FWIW, I just tried a sample spritz of Bandit on me and liked it.

Dan
    [SIZE=3][SIZE=2]"We are fast approaching the stage of the ultimate inversion: the stage where the government is free to do anything it pleases, while the citizens may act only by permission; which is the stage of the darkest periods of human history, the stage of rule by brute force." Ayn Rand...[/SIZE][/SIZE]

"The essence of fascism is to make laws forbidding everything and then enforce them selectively against your enemies."
    [URL="http://www.basenotes.net/wardrobe/2755"][COLOR=green]
    [INDENT]Daily Wardrobe [/INDENT][/COLOR]
    [/URL]

It's interesting, I always told my son, I liked the notes in men's fragrances better than most women's. With that being said, even though I don't like sweet, fruity or flowery scents (most womens) Men's scents still smell too masculine on me, even though they smell delicious. I don't know. Maybe the "unisex" ones, but the one's made especially for men, I'm not sure. (haven't tried too many, so I'm not used to it, so I can't really say) I wouldn't say "no" to others liking it though. I always thought, to each their own, when it came to scents.
    Some scents are more feminine to begin with, so maybe those would be good. Don't want to smell like a lumberjack!

Dolce & Gabbana Pour Homme is my favorite. I always get compliments and even threw a Bloomingdales fragrance counter associate for a loop because she couldn't place the fragrance. I need to try a few more, there were some great suggestions in this post.

Quote Originally Posted by Lynn Faust
    i'm just not in to a fruity or floral. i actually like many mens fragrances for myself.
    what are some other women are wearing? i like burberry for autum. polo blue for summer. and i was wearing the abercrombie and fitch woods for winter and autum but it is discontinued. i have been searching for a replacement.
    The fashion photographer Kelly Klein, wife of Calvin Klein, is quoted in the February issue of Marie Claire saying she has worn Creed's Vetiver (which is for men) since she was a teenager.

Wink Re: mens colognes we like for ourselves

I like Armani Code PH on women.

Green Irish Tweed!!!

I cannot get enough of this, on myself or on a man. Once, a guy I really don't like was wearing it, and I kept creeping closer to him to get a whiff.

Lolita Lempicka Au Masculin