Code of Conduct

Default New Fragrances from Italy

I'm sure many of you have just gotten the email that announced these new scents but some will not have.

I just placed an order for the 8 samples:bounce: .

Dan
    [SIZE=3][SIZE=2]"We are fast approaching the stage of the ultimate inversion: the stage where the government is free to do anything it pleases, while the citizens may act only by permission; which is the stage of the darkest periods of human history, the stage of rule by brute force." Ayn Rand...[/SIZE][/SIZE]

"The essence of fascism is to make laws forbidding everything and then enforce them selectively against your enemies."
    [URL="http://www.basenotes.net/wardrobe/2755"][COLOR=green]
    [INDENT]Daily Wardrobe [/INDENT][/COLOR]
    [/URL]

Default Re: New Fragrances from Italy

The packaging and descriptions look very interesting. Thanks for the info, Dan.
    Are you not entertained??? Is this not why you are here??

They haven't got a clue where Sardinia is, though (or have it mixed up with Malta, at least)

The Italian house of Profumum offers 14 fragrances, in fact.

Yes, they all look intriguing.

http://www.profumum.com/profumi.htm
    « L'odeur de rose, faible, grâce au vent léger d'été qui passe, se mêle aux parfums qu'elle a mis.»
    [ Paul Verlaine ]
    Wardrobe

They do look good, but the prices! :O

I'll be interested to know how your samples work out!!

Default Re: New Fragrances from Italy - Profumum

Dan...you beat me to it! I got the email as well and was just about to post, asking if anyone had tried these. Just the colors of Santalum and Antico Caruso make me want to buy bottles of each. I may have to join you in sampling these.

The packaging reminds me of Tuscany. Let us know how they turn out!

I tried a couple of these about a year ago. Ichnvsa was a real winner, a great fig scent that is somewhat creamier and earthier than Philosykos. They also have a very earthy, strong vetiver scent and Acqva di Sale is a pretty nice marine/fruity scent. I also sampled a couple of others and I remember that I liked most of them and they were all very natural, earthy and rich.

The only size was the wonderful, expensive 100ml bottle...
    Last edited by Panto; 14th September 2006 at 09:58 PM.

Thanks for the link! Never heard of these ones but the bottles look great. "Aqva e Zucchero" sounds very avantguarde. Sugared water or watered sugar. Hm...
    Guerlain: Après L´ondée - Chanel: Cuir de Russie - Dior: Dior Homme - Divine: L´homme de coeur - Caron: Le 3me homme
    ---------------------------

"Tra il fiore colto e l’ altro donato / l’ inesprimibile nulla" Giuseppe Ungaretti

I am particularly attracted to their simplicity and have been looking for a fig scent that suits me. Philosykos was too dry, Premier Figuer was too sweet, Cielo dried down to dirty moss. I feel like Goldilocks. That happened to me with violets and of course the one I liked the most cost the most (Apres L'Ondee) so maybe it is worth it, if you find the right one. I'm sure I wouldn't like them all, but Luckyscent sells individual samples, too.

Just to remind all, I'm poor at describing scents/frags. I do know what I like and dislike so I'll try to let all know my thoughts on them.

robyogi will be a much better reference I'm sure
    [SIZE=3][SIZE=2]"We are fast approaching the stage of the ultimate inversion: the stage where the government is free to do anything it pleases, while the citizens may act only by permission; which is the stage of the darkest periods of human history, the stage of rule by brute force." Ayn Rand...[/SIZE][/SIZE]

"The essence of fascism is to make laws forbidding everything and then enforce them selectively against your enemies."
    [/URL]

Dan,

You just need more practice. I will be sitting here by the computer wainting for your reviews!

I also find those frags very compelling (without having tested one). The bottles look absolutely marvelous.
    Prizes are killing me, though.

Yeah, the prices are rough. But look at it like this, at $180USD for 100ml, they're still only about half as much as Amouage scents! I wish these houses offered 50ml bottles.

BTW, I emailed and asked the Lucky Scent folks which were the most appropriate for men. Their response was Santalum, Antico Curuso, Aqua di Sale, and also Fiori d’ Ambra, which he said was not as sweet as most amber scents. They all look interesting to me.

These fragrances look very interesting but the price is scary.....It's nothing anymore to see a large spray for $180.00...( He swallows hard ). I'm not saying that they aren't worth the price...at this price I would have to find the best "one" and go from there. Of course I will not be able to pick "one". Oh my....I'm in trouble again....
    Gary

LOVELY bottles for sure.
    Please report!
    MMM

I ordered samples from Fiori d'Ambra, Patcholy and Thundra, those were the ones that instantly intrigued me. I mean just the fact that it is opium in Fiori d'Ambra... Lovely bottles. However, it seems like the big bottles lack spray dispensers - I am not a big fan of applying my fragrance like an after shave, due to the risk of contaminating the juice..

Got my samples yesterday and tried two of them--one spray on the back of each hand--not a full body trial:

Ichnusa: green on top, reminded me of the scent of sandspurs in the summer in Miami, Florida Medium longevity.

Patchouly: Blast of amber(I think?) on top drying down to a strong patchouly(duh!) finish. Lots of longevity.

And, no, I would not buy either of them, certainly not for the prices they are asking.

Dan
    Last edited by Lightninrod; 20th September 2006 at 01:17 PM.

[/URL]

I ordered samples of Fiori d'Ambra and Santalum yesterday, along with a bunch of other samples from both Luckyscent and Aedes. Can't wait to get them! : )
    Current faves: CdG White, Amouage Dia, Millesime Imperial, Miller Harris Terre de Bois

Lucky Scents has a retail store here in Los Angeles called Scent Bar. Lucky for me, actually. Since I live near there. I went there on Sunday and sprayed Fiori d'Ambra on one arm and Santalum on the other.
    I had gotten samples of both, but they are very different when you spray them. The samples in the vials do not fully reveal the depth of either scent. The vials certainly give you a feeling for it. But the sprays were much more potent.
    I left the store, because I was supposed to go to the movies with a friend. I spent the entire movie smelling one arm and then the other. Was completely intoxicated, almost high from the experience of going from one to the other. Trying to decide. Every time I thought I liked one over the other, I realized that that was not really true. They were very different.
    The Fiori d'Ambra is sweet, but not in a cloying and very wearable. It is beautiful. While I was in the store, in fact, a lot of people were swooning over it. I must admit that every once in awhile I question it. I think it's because it is very different for me. I have to give it more of a chance. The longevity is phenomenal. It lasts as long as any fragrance I have ever tried. Way over 12 hours. You cannot tell this from the samples. Only the spray.
    The Santalum has cinnamon and myrrh. I could only detect the myrrh and sandalwood in the top note. The dry down is a beautiful, smooth resilient sandalwood that lasts and lasts. Quiet and understated and meditative and spiritual. It last for hours and hours. Same with the Fiori d'Ambra.
    I went back to Scent Bar and...trembling...bought both. I cannot believe I spent that much money on those two fragrances.
    My addiction has definitely taken a HUGE turn.
    The bottles are so beautiful. The scents are very beautiful to me also. Definitely right at the top of my list.
    I have only had a chance to wear them once each. I think that I need to wear them each a few more times, before I give a full accurate review.
    Were they worth the money? I don't know. I don't regret buying them. I don't think I could have not bought them, let's put it that way. My addiction is in overdrive. lol

For everyone interested, the Antico Caruso was fantastic. I loved the Patchouly and the Aqua di Sale too. I didn't try the rest of them.

Most of the customers who came in were very entranced with them also.

This is, obviously, very subjective. And I am new here, and by no means great at describing scents. I'll write more later about them.
    Last edited by everyman; 21st September 2006 at 11:45 PM.
    top 5: terre d'hermes, lonestar memories, l'air du desert marocain, cbmusk, voleur de roses

Same method as yestrerday except comments come after just two hours:

Fiori d' Ambra: spicy amber on top, mild? vanilla in the mid notes-low longevity

Thundra: mint gives off a 'disinfectant' quality on top but turns into a very nice patchouli mid-way--longevity seems OK.

Still too expensive IMO.

Dan

[/URL]

Quote Originally Posted by Lightninrod
    Fiori d' Ambra: spicy amber on top, mild? vanilla in the mid notes-low longevity
    Still too expensive IMO.

Dan
    Disappointing. Out of all the samples I ordered, this is the one I was looking forward to trying the most.

Thanks for the reviews Dan. I think you do fine, btw.
    Current faves: CdG White, Amouage Dia, Millesime Imperial, Miller Harris Terre de Bois

Interesting. Pricey as hell however. Geez!

I know this isn't entirely on topic, however I pulled this from the website that the author of this thread originally posted

http://www.luckyscent.com/shop/detai...3402&section=2

Odeur 71 edt by COMME des GARCONS.

Says this fragrance has notes of dust on a hot light bulb, bamboo, lettuce juice????

Anyone ever dared to sniff this? Who knows, it may be amazing -I just do not see how. Hah.
    Join The Revolution. Howard 100 & Howard 101. Sirius Satellite Radio. No More BS!

Quote Originally Posted by DJB
    Disappointing. Out of all the samples I ordered, this is the one I was looking forward to trying the most.

Thanks for the reviews Dan. I think you do fine, btw.
    DJB: If I were you, I'd buy that frag as a sample from LS. I really am a poor one for descriptions and your nose may tell you something completely different.

WAIT: PM me your addy and I'll give you my sample. .

Dan

[/URL]

Quote Originally Posted by Lightninrod
    DJB: If I were you, I'd buy that frag as a sample from LS. I really am a poor one for descriptions and your nose may tell you something completely different.

WAIT: PM me your addy and I'll give you my sample. .

Dan
    That's very nice of you. Thanks! But I already ordered a sample 2 days ago (along with a bunch of others) from Luckyscent. The description sounded like something I would really like, so when I saw you write that is has poor longevity, it was disappointing. That disqualifies it right away, especially for that kind of money!

Got the samples today, Fiori d'Ambra and Santalum. Both smell great, but after just 15 minutes (I have one fragrance on each hand) I have to get right on top of it to smell it. I can't say anything about the longevity yet, but they definitely wear very close to the skin. IMO neither are anything so special that I'd pay $180, especially with poor sillage.

This afternoon I've tested thundra and confetto. The first one is a light patchouli with a touch of mint, easy to wear and no sillage at all. Confetto is really feminine: almond, musk, anise. it seems to be more powerful and stays on skin about three - four hours.
    Tomorrow I will be back to the shop to try soavissima and acqua di zucchero.

Rot

I actually bought those two fragrances. I, too, found the sample vials lacking in terms of sillage and longevity. But, at least for me, Fiori d'Ambra is extremely long lasting. One of the most long lasting scents I have ever worn. Plus I found the sillage to be exceptional.
    I have very dry skin, and a lot of scents disappear on me. But that scent lingers on me for several hours.
    The Santalum also stays with me, although somewhat slightly lighter and closer to the skin. I do think it has less sillage than Fiori d'Ambra, but it still has great longevity and dries down to a very smooth beautiful sandalwood.
    I have found, in general, that sample vials--unless they are the spray kind--give an idea or an approximation of a scent. They do not, however, give the full experience of the scent. I don't know what it is about the spray versions of fragrances, but they reveal many more dimensions. These two scents need to be sprayed to know what they are really about.
    I'd be very interested to hear if others find this to be true also. Thanks so much.
    Last edited by everyman; 26th September 2006 at 08:45 PM.
    top 5: terre d'hermes, lonestar memories, l'air du desert marocain, cbmusk, voleur de roses

Unfortunately the sample vial is all I have to go by. I can't imagine why a fragrance would have more longevity and sillage coming from the bottle than a vial, it's still the same composition no matter how you look at it. Can the fact that it's being sprayed out of a bottle really change things that much? As of right now, it's been about an hour and a half since I applied the samples and I can barely smell anything. In any case, you're lucky to have Scent Bar right by where you live, and I'm glad your experience with these frags was a more positive one. : )

DJB,

I know what you mean. Tell you what, when I get home tonight, I will spray Fiori d'Ambra on one arm...and I still have the sample vial too. i'll apply that to my other arm and see if I can give any feedback that way. Maybe that will reveal more or be more helpful. I'll try, anyway.

By the way, just to let you know about my nose, if this helps, I am wearing Lonestar Memories today. I sprayed it at 10 am. It's now 2:30 pm and it's still going strong on me.

I must admit that I am not real great at commenting on sillage. So take my comments about that in mind. But I definitely can tell about longevity.

Prada Amber pour Homme disappeared on me in less than 10 mins.

As I mentioned earlier, I sprayed Fiori d'Ambra and Santalwood and went to the movies. I was so entranced by the scents and their lasting power, that I kept sniffing from one arm to the other thru the entire movie. I am not sure about the sillage, you could be right about that. But those scents were quite apparent on me for many hours during their dry down.

I'll test this out tonight and hope I can give you a better, more helpful, report.
    Last edited by everyman; 26th September 2006 at 09:38 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by everyman
    DJB,

I know what you mean. Tell you what, when I get home tonight, I will spray Fiori d'Ambra on one arm...and I still have the sample vial too. i'll apply that to my other arm and see if I can give any feedback that way. Maybe that will reveal more or be more helpful. I'll try, anyway.
    Great- Looking forward to your findings. Thanks.

~Dean

I put a substantial amount of the Fiori d'Ambra sample on my right forearm And I used the spray bottle on my left forearm.

At first, they both smelled the same. But as they dried down, the sample seemed ever so slightly weaker.

I was surprised that the spray seemed less potent than I had last remembered it.

I did this around 10 pm. The next morning, the spray was still detectable. The sample vial application was completely gone. I could not get a trace of it.

In all honesty, even the spray was much closer to the skin than I originally thought. It goes on very strong. But dries down to a more subtle scent.

Today, I am wearing Santalum. I sprayed so much on, that I kept thinking I overdid it.

2 hours later, I could still smell it. A very beautiful smooth, powdery sandalwood. However, it really wears so close to the skin.

It is now 7 hours later, and I can still smell it if I put my nose directly to my arm. It is ever so faint.

So, I would say that it does not retain it's longevity or sillage in any way that is impressive. Regrettably, I have come to the conclusion that my recommendation is, don't waste your money.

For those prices, there are so many other fragrances you can buy that retain longevity and sillage and bring the kind of pleasure that we all have come to love from our favorites.

Don't get me wrong, these are beautiful scents. They are just way too expensive to not deliver on every level. And they don't.

Hope that helps.

[half an hour later]

Funny. Just after I wrote the above, a woman I know came into my office and said, "that sandalwood is divine. Smells incredible." Go figure.
    Last edited by everyman; 28th September 2006 at 06:37 AM.

Thanks for doing the comparison : )

The other night when I was sampling the Profumums I also had been sampling some oils that I just received, so I probably had olfactory fatigue because it's a little different sampling Fiori d'Ambra today. I'm finding it has a little more sillage than I thought from the other night. Is it just me or is this one similar to Obsession for Men?

I tried two more(the last of the samples I think?) yesterday; Santalum and Acqua e Zucchero. The Santalum smelled like so many other scents; sandalwood(?) and was not appealing to me. AeZ was a different story altogeather. Very nice topnotes that dried down to a wonderful, longlasting close-to-the-skin fragrance. Worth $180..............almost but not quite IMO.

Dan

[/URL]

Only given them a small dab once, but here are my first-impressions:

Thvndra: Hard to describe, but starts out heavy on the mint-note, and something sweet and oily. Veery "kind" and round patchouly-note.

Ichnvsa: Starts out very anti-perfume; only grass and leaves. By the time I noticed the fig, the scent was nearly gone. Need to use more next time, as it was very light.

Santalvm: Dry and vintage-like sandalwood-scent. Quite nice, but like Lightn' said; "like so many other scents"

Fiori d'Ambra: The scent I really looked forward to. If I hadn't smelled Coze by Parfumerie Generale, another drug-themed scent, only weeks before, I guess I would have loved this;
    It is VERY similar to Coze. Same lovely spicy-sweet opening, with loads of cloves I guess, but the Fiori d'Ambra calms more, and gets more powdery sweet, where Coze becomes more masculine.
    Hadn't it been for Coze, I would have gotten really impressed by both the scent itself, and its originality, but unfortunately it's too similar to Coze, and I must say I prefer that one more....

Default Re: New Fragrances from Italy: Negative Developments

I am feeling a bit of frustration with Luckyscents and their offers on Profumum. First they had a sampler bag for, I think, $28, now that's gone. Then they will allow only two samples of these products to be purchased at a time. What cheek! And the next thing I know they have taken the already high price on these fragrances up another $10 within the first few weeks from $180 to $190 for 100ml.

Sheesh! Get it while it's hot, the price is rising by the week. As much as I liked the 1/32nd oz samples I received, I think I will pass this stuff is too hot to handle.

Joe