Code of Conduct

Default Desperately Seeking Carnation

Well, I don't know about DESPERATELY, but I certainly am ardently seeking a men's fragrance which has a pronounced carnation scent. I want something spicy, perhaps with clove and/or cinnamon mixed in with the carnation. (Again, though, I want to be able to smell the carnation distinctly.) No eaux de cologne, please, as they have no lasting power on me.

Ideas? Does such a male carnation beast even exist?
    Last edited by tvlampboy; 29th October 2006 at 07:16 AM.

Peggy: "Right now, we have to get to the mental institution. Something terrible has happened."
    Latrelle: "What?"
    Peggy: "Brother Boy has tried to kill himself. He jumped out of his bedroom window."
    Latrelle: "Isn't he only on the second floor?"
    Peggy: "Yes, but he hit his head on a lawn gnome."
    Fr. Sordid Lives: The Series
    "Live, live, live! Life is a banquet, and most poor suckers are starving to death."
    Auntie Mame
    [/B]

Default Re: Desperately Seeking Carnation

the signature scent of the divine Oscar: Malmaison of Floris

you are absolutely so cool for spontaneously desiring this!

Yes. Lorenzo Villoresi's GAROFANO. Awesome Carnation scent. This also have very good longevity, at least on my skin. Check it out!
    "A great perfume is a work of art, it can lift our days, haunt our nights and create the milestones of our memories. Fragrance is liquid emotion. And that never goes out of fashion. " MICHAEL EDWARDS

Wow, five at one strike! That open a new window also for me. Equipage is the one I know and love, but as mostly with Hermes: limited longevity and strength. It may sound silly, but give L'Air du Temps a chance.
    'Il mondo dei profumi è un universo senza limiti: una fraganza puo rievocare sensazioni, luoghi, persone o ancora condurre in uno spazio di nuove dimensioni emozionali' L. V.

I tried Garofano and it's a whopper. Don't like carnation frags much personally, but this would be it.

For overwhelming clove, try MPG Sécret Mélange (which is even worse on me. 100% urinal tabs).

It might help restore the cosmic balance if you derive great pleasure from these fragrances I can't stand
    My Wardrobe
    II est de forts parfums pour qui toute matière/Est poreuse. On dirait qu'ils pénètrent le verre.

It's not a men's scent, but I love to wear Caron's Bellodgia edp.

Hell yeah Garofano is an incredible carnation scent.

Quote Originally Posted by Killer_Vavoom
    Hell yeah Garofano is an incredible carnation scent.
    Wow! Near unanimous praise on this count with Garofano! Add another one to my "To Try" list. If you are looking for carnation and cloves, along with great longevity, how about Caron's amazing Poivre extrait, from the classic urn series? One or more sales corner sellers offers this.

Jeff

I dont detect any carnation in Cacharel pour homme. What i detect mainly is lily of the valley in it.
    Awesomeguy

Quote Originally Posted by rosbergs3
    I dont detect any carnation in Cacharel pour homme. What i detect mainly is lily of the valley in it.

"Carnation" and "clove" are frequently used interchangeably in fragrance pyramids. What follows below is an attempt to explain why.

Cloves are the dried flower buds of a tree by the Latin name of Syzygium aromaticum. Eugenia caryophyllus is the common garden carnation from which carnation absolute is produced. (Thanks for reminding me of the difference Griff. )

When "carnation" is listed in a pyramid, as it is in the pyramid for Cacharel Pour Homme, you might as well read and think "clove" because carnations, that is, the flowers themselves, are not commonly processed these days for carnation absolute nor is such an absolute used in modern day perfumery. Even if it were used, it would smell predominantly "clovey" with
    refined peppery accents. Next time you get your hands on some fresh carnations, bring them up to your nose and take a very deep breath. You should be able to smell a distant clove note. Apart from that distant clove note, carnation flowers have no real "floral" note to speak off.

It’s a very expensive process to produce carnation absolute and the cost of doing so these days is prohibitive and unnecessary, especially when the principal constituents of both carnation absolute and clove oil, eugenol and isoeugenol, are easy and cheap to manufacture.

The carnation effect in perfumery after the Second World War is always produced through the use of eugenol and isoeugenol, and is modify by various nitriles and other aromachemicals, along with natural floral notes, to add different and subtle inflections to the carnation effect, which is predominantly a spicy, clove-like effect rather than a floral effect because of the preponderance of eugenol or isoeugenol. In extremely rare cases, small amounts of carnation absolute are add to the mix to give the carnation effect a natural "lift", but this is rare, indeed. To illustrate my point, even in Nina Ricci's L'Air du Temps (1948),
    one of the great women's fragrances of the 20th century in which the "carnation" note features as the heart of the perfume, the carnation effect was achieved through the use of eugenol, isoeugenol, and modified with recitified ylang ylang essential oil (itself high in isoeugenol), and benzyl salicylate and tied together with the use of a significant amount of natural rose oil (itself also high in isoeugenol).

Think "clove" when you read "carnation", and given the fragrance, perhaps "refined clove note" might be more appropriate. With Cacharel Pour Homme, despite the fact that carnation is listed as an ingredient, there's no carnation note there; it's a decided clove note based predominantly on isoeugenol.

My choice, if you like the impression of a more refined, truer carnation note, would be to find some vintage L'Air du Temps.

scentemental

Last edited by scentemental; 9th January 2008 at 09:46 PM.

Another vote for Garofano. Its an amazing fragrance that lasts forever.

A little goes a long way!

Wait. Don't forget Garofano by Santa Maria Novella. Less complex than LV's version, SMN's Garofano is practically pure carnation and like most of the SMN line, very linear.

Quote Originally Posted by Griff
    Wait. Don't forget Garofano by Santa Maria Novella. Less complex than LV's version, SMN's Garofano is practically pure carnation and like most of the SMN line, very linear.
    Just wanted to welcome you back Griff .

Great suggestions for carnation by the way .
    Vijay"Maisonstinky"

Thank you Vijay. I am only partially back. Some of me got stuck in the transporter.

Gr**ff

Thank you Vijay. I am only partially back. Some of me got stuck in the transporter.

Gr**ff
    LOL! Good to see you(and your humour) back, Griff.

Kim

Thank you Kim. Nice to be back.

BTW scentemental,

Although carnations do indeed smell a bit like cloves, Don't they come from very different plants? The evergreen tree that produces cloves, Syzygium aromaticum, belongs to the family Myrtaceae (Myrtle). The carnation absolute used in the fragrance industry is derived (or at least used to be derived) from Dianthus caryophyllus L. of the family Caryophyllaceae.

Griff
    Last edited by Griff; 29th October 2006 at 07:41 PM.

Worth Pour Homme
    Equipage
    JHL

I really like wearing just carnation EO from Essential Oil Company (probably a mix without any carnation at all due to carnation's expense). The wife absolutely loves it.

I think when companies want to create carnation notes they use clove + rose.
    K
    [FONT=Book Antiqua]MisterK / Vicomte de K / K[/FONT]
    [FONT=Book Antiqua]Ephemeral Top 5: YSL PH HC, Worth PH, Equipage, Monsieur Rochas HC, Acqua di Gio[/FONT]

Tabac Original. You should not laugh about this suggestion. It is carnation at it`s best.

BTW scentemental,

Although carnations do indeed smell a bit like cloves, Don't they come from very different plants? The evergreen tree that produces cloves, Syzygium aromaticum, belongs to the family Myrtaceae (Myrtle). The carnation absolute used in the fragrance industry is derived (or at least used to be derived) from Dianthus caryophyllus L. of the family Caryophyllaceae.

Griff
    Thanks of reminding me of the difference Griff. You're absolutely right. I had them listed as coming from two different families. I don't why I conflated the two. I made changes to my original post thanks to your reminder and tried to sharpen the point I was making about carnations and cloves, eugenol and isoeugenol.

I am happy to see at least someone is reading my posts.

scentemental

Last edited by scentemental; 29th October 2006 at 10:27 PM.

DEFINETELY YSL KOUROS!

Quote Originally Posted by PigeonMurderer
    Tabac Original. You should not laugh about this suggestion. It is carnation at it`s best.
    Yes, yes, yes!
    [FONT=Book Antiqua]MisterK / Vicomte de K / K[/FONT]
    [FONT=Book Antiqua]Ephemeral Top 5: YSL PH HC, Worth PH, Equipage, Monsieur Rochas HC, Acqua di Gio[/FONT]

Better than some of you getting transposed with a fly in the transporter.

Welcome back!
    All these moments will be lost in time, like tears in rain.

If carnation = clove, then LP#9 by Penhaligons will knock you out !
    -

Quote Originally Posted by scentemental
    Thanks of reminding me of the difference Griff. You're absolutely right. I had them listed as coming from two different families. I don't why I conflated the two. I made changes to my original post thanks to your reminder and tried to sharpen the point I was making about carnations and cloves, eugenol and isoeugenol.

I am happy to see at least someone is reading my posts.

scentemental

No problem Scentemental! I love reading your posts. You certainly know your chemistry and I always learn something new. Besides, I love it when you talk chemicals. It's hot.

Gr*ff

No problem Scentemental! I love reading your posts. You certainly know your chemistry and I always learn something new. Besides, I love it when you talk chemicals. It's hot.

Gr*ff

Ah, so you like the dirty talk Griff. Very interesting.

Great to have you back. It's a lot more interesting and more fun with you around.

Best regards,

scentemental

P.S. Zztopp's suggestion of Penhaligon's LP No. 9 for Men is an excellent one for the carnation/clove effect. A really excellent and underrated oriental that deserves wider acceptance.

Last edited by scentemental; 30th October 2006 at 09:23 PM.

Do I detect some "chemistry" here ?
    -

Gr**ff

LOL !!! as Grayswan said , still same old Griff . Lets get the transponder fixed so we can have all of you back .

Sorry could not respond earlier, have been busy packing and moving, just checked in real quick for messages.
    Vijay"Maisonstinky"

Quote Originally Posted by Prince Barry
    It's not a men's scent, but I love to wear Caron's Bellodgia edp.
    Right you are, Prince! As much as I love Equipage, Bellodgia definitely needs more play on the men's board.

Equipage, I believe.

Try Etro Dianthus.

It is a light and smooth carnation soliflore with a musky base. Floral but unisex I think. Not very spicy. Really nice.