Code of Conduct

Thread: For how long...

Default For how long...

...do you save your bottles? Do you ceep frags even when they are loosing some their notes?

I just got read of my LīInstant, as it had lost itīs opening notes. It was only two years old... At least I had used up 2/3 of the bottle... But if my other frags donīt last longer, I will be very sad. I ceep them out of light... I guess the best hold is for the frags with dark bottles... Am I right?
    Faves right now: Chanel No 19, Stella Rose Absolute, LīHeure Bleu, Elixir de Merveilles, Samsara.

Default Re: For how long...

I always keep all my fragrances in their original boxes in a dark and cool cupboard. Some of them are getting on for over 5 years old and still as good as new.

Quote Originally Posted by Prince Barry
    I always keep all my fragrances in their original boxes in a dark and cool cupboard. Some of them are getting on for over 5 years old and still as good as new.
    Ditto.

But my oldest bottles are from early Nineties...
    "Wovon man nicht lesen kann, darüber muss man schreiben."

Kind of along the same lines:
    Would the juice in a vintage bottle from the late sixties still be any good if the bottle was still sealed? Or would it just be a travesty to open such a bottle now?

Quote Originally Posted by pellen
    Kind of along the same lines:
    Would the juice in a vintage bottle from the late sixties still be any good if the bottle was still sealed? Or would it just be a travesty to open such a bottle now?
    I would say that if the bottle has been kept in a cool and dark place, it should be usable. You will probably find though that the top notes have burned off a bit, but if it's good quality stuff, the base and mid notes should be quite respectable.

Does the bottle look as if there has been any evaporation?

I do this (though didn't always - I didn't know to) and my fragrances now stay fresh. They used to turn because I kept them on top of my dresser where the sunlight hit them - they looked pretty on the dressertop but the sunlight/warmth eventually ruined them. Some fragrances seem to turn sooner than others. Dark opaque bottles keep the fragrance intact longer. Perfume, like wine, likes to be kept in a cool dark place.

Does the bottle look as if there has been any evaporation?[/QUOTE]

Yes, a bit.

Quote Originally Posted by pellen
    Does the bottle look as if there has been any evaporation?
    Yes, a bit.[/QUOTE]

The trouble with the signs of evaporation is that air has managed to creep into the bottle even though it's sealed. There is a chance that it might have gone off, but I have known bottles that are from the 30s to smell OK when they have shown signs of evaporation. Once you have got over the mustyness of the slightly decayed top notes they seem fine.

Yes, a bit.
    The trouble with the signs of evaporation is that air has managed to creep into the bottle even though it's sealed. There is a chance that it might have gone off, but I have known bottles that are from the 30s to smell OK when they have shown signs of evaporation. Once you have got over the mustyness of the slightly decayed top notes they seem fine.[/QUOTE]

To me that is half the charm of these very vintage scents! The biggest problem with vintage scents I ever had was buying a very full unopened bottle of scents to find out that it must have been stored in a box/closet with moth balls! The scent of the mothballs permeated the cellophane, the box, and even got through the seal on the bottle! Talk about "old-lady" scents!! AAAAAAARGH

Oh, dear, perhaps I will have to get a refridgirator for my fragances... Itīs not easy to find a cold place in a house not so very old...

Thank you all for your answers. The subjekt did grow, so it has been interesting to read!
    Faves right now: Chanel No 19, Stella Rose Absolute, LīHeure Bleu, Elixir de Merveilles, Samsara.