Code of Conduct

Default What's in aftershave that's not in cologne?

For those colognes that don't have an aftershave version, Any way to create an aftershave substitute from the cologne by mixing it with whatever ingredients are normally used in aftershave? Anyone have any details about the difference between cologne and aftershave? Thanks for any insight.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: What's in aftershave that's not in cologne?

Usually aftershaves have a soothing agent amongst the ingredients, something that helps to take the sting away. I know that some companies use aloe, but I don't know in what proportion.

Thanks for your reply. I figured that might be the ingredient that separates the two. I guess an experiment with aloe and cologne in varied proportions would be the way to go.

Post Thanks / Like

to make your own scented aftershave, you could also get some unscented cream aftershave, Kiehls is excellent but Loreal Mens Expert has a perfectly decent one for just a few bucks, and add a spray of your EdT into the goop in your palm before applying it to your face. I like this more than buying whole new aftershave for each frag, especially because the actual aftershave they use is typically the cheapest available, which they just plunk a bit of the scent into and repackage. Buying aftershave from a company that specializes in shaving or skin care will get you a much better product than buying one from a popular fragrance house.

Just make sure your aftershave has a broad-spectrum sunscreen component, as a freshly shaven face is missing the toughest outer-layers of skin, and is very vulnerable to harmful sun rays.

Thanks Joel for the suggestion. Sounds good. Much better than buying a separate aftershave for every fragrance I'd say.