Code of Conduct

Default SL Arabie vs Chergui vs Fumerie Turque - no contest?

The notes for Arabie are very similar in theme to Chergui and Fumerie Turque, yet it isn't nearly as popular here. For those that have tried at least two of these three, how does Arabie measure up? Is it to heavy, even for a Lutens?
    There is no Nose....

Default Re: SL Arabie vs Chergui vs Fumerie Turque - no contest?

Quote Originally Posted by OlfaOmega
    The notes for Arabie are very similar in theme to Chergui and Fumerie Turque, yet it isn't nearly as popular here. For those that have tried at least two of these three, how does Arabie measure up? Is it to heavy, even for a Lutens?
    Havent tried FT, but Chergui vs. Arabie is a no contest - Chergui wins easily. Arabie is an overload of candied oranges, figs, dates and cumin. I once tried to use it as a topping for pancakes. Smells nothing like Chergui.
    -

The three are quite different from each other. I maintained recently, on a first impression, that Chergui is like FT without the smoke. Anyway, it gave me a headache. Arabie, as ZZ Top said, is an oriental bazar with a heavy accent on candied fruit. I personally like it better than FT (I am a minority of one here for sure), though I admit it is hard to find an occasion to wear it, except if you're going to a costume party as the Prince of, well, Arabie // Rudolph Valentino. You should definitely try to get a decant, though.
    My Wardrobe
    II est de forts parfums pour qui toute matière/Est poreuse. On dirait qu'ils pénètrent le verre.

I originally hated Arabie, when I got a small sample from Les Senteurs (over the summer). However, curiosity always brought me back to putting some on my wrist. Once I half-finished the vial I ended up giving the rest away, but it was a scent I couldn't completely forget about. It's only been recently, while sampling other frags in department stores, that I've felt compelled to give it another try. Although I do agree that it's very difficult to find a situation to wear it, I believe it's possible to pull it off in the heart of the winter (as well as the Christmas period, obviously!).

Arabie is a tough cookie, which requires more patience than most 'challenging' frags. It's only now that I'm beginning to appreciate it for what it is - an extremely heavy and complex oriental. I still prefer the other two more than Arabie, but it's still worth having a sample or decant of it.

And btw, I managed to get a free 5ml miniature bottle of Arabie while at Harvey Nichols, yesterday! It was just laying there with the tester bottles and I couldn't resist taking it home with me (the box stated that it was a free sample and I couldn't turn down an opportunity like that). So, that's another free decant in my wardrobe!

exotic. arabie is one of the best woody orientals i own. you won't get an idea until you try it. you also most likely won't get it on the first few tries. it is on par with chergui, ft, ambre sultan, chene, cuir mauresque, santal de mysore and the rest.

it took me awhile to love it but once i did it was carved in stone. arabie is often described as fruity, etc. it is fruity in a magnificent way - like being transported to a souk in Marrakesh. yet after wearing it for awhile (off and on for a few months) that initial perception transforms into something even more sublime (it did for me anway). arabie contains an abundance of cedar, sandalwood, tobacco and incense. beautiful stuff and extremely sensual on the skin like most lutens frags. i can easily see it being a love hate kind of fragrance. i happen to love it, a lot.
    Last edited by pluran; 30th October 2006 at 02:13 AM.
    "...The history of perfumery before this subdivision of niche was manufactured, both literally and imaginatively, is a long one, with thousands upon thousands of fragrances. The true fragrance lover takes each fragrance one at a time, and examines it preferably outside of the imaginatively manufactured categories and, in doing so, builds up a steady, informed basis for seasoned comparative judgments based on the sampling and information gathered from such sampling. This is why any one on the board who ever has anything particular interesting to say about fragrances as fragrances rather than as categorical constructs always has an abiding interest and passion for all kinds of fragrances and not just a narrow niche of fragrances. Conversely, the "niche whores," the more and more narrow their interests become, the more and more they mimic the ad copy of the very companies they worship. I know whose posts I like to read..."

“Perfume is decidedly not about two things: it isn’t about memory and it isn’t about sex. Perfume is about beauty and intellect,” .......... “A perfume is a message in a bottle—not a smell—and the message is written by the perfumer and read by the person who smells it.”

Book recommendations:

Perfumes: The A-Z Guide
    The Emperor of Scent
    The Perfect Scent
    Scent and Chemistry

Feeding the Monster: IFRA and the EU Parliament
    www.firstnerve.com/2013/06/feeding-monster-ifra-and-eu-parliament.html

-http://www.firstnerve.com/2013/06/feeding-monster-ifra-and-eu-parliament.html

I completely agree with just about everything that's been said so far. Arabie is impossible to grasp at first. Hell, the first time I smelled it I was put off by it's similarity to an Indian dish I had ordered once called pomegranite curry. After that first testing I forgot about it for a while. I brought out my sample again though, and after giving it a couple of second chances, I find it to be one of the more impressive scents out there. I will hopefully get a decant for winter. Like others have said, it is super strong and equally rich. Very sexy rich woods with an intermingled dried fruityness. So good! I used to think of it as unwearable but now I don't think that it is. I haven't personally worn it out because I only have a sample, but I would. A moderate application on a cold day would be warm and sexy, perfect for an intimate winter evening. It really isn't that similar to Chergui or FT. Am I the only one though who doesn't find Chergui and FT similar though? They alwasy get compared but I don't really see it. Anyways, Arabie is an awesome fragrance and it gets tons of extra points for uniqueness. Keep up the good work SL.

Quote Originally Posted by The_Giraffe
    It really isn't that similar to Chergui or FT. Am I the only one though who doesn't find Chergui and FT similar though? They alwasy get compared but I don't really see it. Anyways, Arabie is an awesome fragrance and it gets tons of extra points for uniqueness. Keep up the good work SL.
    i don't find arabie similar to chergui or ft. nor do i find chergui similar to ft.

edit: i haven't been wearing chergui and fumerie turque as much lately so i wasn't thinking about similarities between the two. two hours into chergui and you do begin to smell elements of fumerie turque. the similarities remain distinct but the ultimate drydown differs substantially as fumerie turque turns into a strong peru balsam type skin scent. chergui stays more linear, sweeter and ends with something more reminiscent of fumerie turque's middle notes plus the distinct hay accord (in chergui) that is there from the beginning. i prefer the drydown of fumerie turque.
    Last edited by pluran; 30th October 2006 at 04:18 AM.
    "...The history of perfumery before this subdivision of niche was manufactured, both literally and imaginatively, is a long one, with thousands upon thousands of fragrances. The true fragrance lover takes each fragrance one at a time, and examines it preferably outside of the imaginatively manufactured categories and, in doing so, builds up a steady, informed basis for seasoned comparative judgments based on the sampling and information gathered from such sampling. This is why any one on the board who ever has anything particular interesting to say about fragrances as fragrances rather than as categorical constructs always has an abiding interest and passion for all kinds of fragrances and not just a narrow niche of fragrances. Conversely, the "niche whores," the more and more narrow their interests become, the more and more they mimic the ad copy of the very companies they worship. I know whose posts I like to read..."

“Perfume is decidedly not about two things: it isn’t about memory and it isn’t about sex. Perfume is about beauty and intellect,” .......... “A perfume is a message in a bottle—not a smell—and the message is written by the perfumer and read by the person who smells it.”

Book recommendations:

The Emperor of Scent
    The Perfect Scent
    Scent and Chemistry

Agreed.

Anyways, Arabie is an awesome fragrance and it gets tons of extra points for uniqueness.
    I dont see whats so unique about it. If by "unique" you mean "testing the boundaries of extreme nectareousness", then yea I give it full points too.

The thread author should order some sample or decants and try it out for himself since opinion is certainly divided.
    Last edited by zztopp; 29th October 2006 at 11:27 PM.
    -

Thanks guys; I'm going to get a 5ml of this. Or maybe 10ml. That should give me enough to try it on my pancakes.
    There is no Nose....

SL Arabie is awesome... in fact I was just testing it this morning and now to admit to having fallen pretty hard. But here's the thing: even though I LOVE IT, I will not be wearing this to work or any social function where I would be meeting new people... I will safe this for me and just me, at home...
    "Of the five senses, the sense of smell is incontestably the one that best conveys a sense of immortality."

Salvador Dali

I really don't see how can there be a comparison,let alone a competition between these, they all smell so unique to me...

For what it's worth, I personally prefer Arabie EDP and certainly Santal de Mysore EDP over Chergui EDP and Fumerie Turque EDP. They are though, all fine fragrances.

scentemental

Quote Originally Posted by scentemental

For what it's worth, I personally prefer Arabie EDP and certainly Santal de Mysore EDP over Chergui EDP and Fumerie Turque EDP. They are though, all fine fragrances.

scentemental

Santal De Mysore isnt much talked about here. Can you (and anyone else) comment further on it ? Maybe that may turn out to be the best option here
    -

Quote Originally Posted by zztopp
    Santal De Mysore isnt much talked about here. Can you (and anyone else) comment further on it ? Maybe that may turn out to be the best option here
    it's an excellent option. i just wrote review on it a few days ago.
    Last edited by pluran; 30th October 2006 at 02:58 AM.

Book recommendations:

The Emperor of Scent
    The Perfect Scent
    Scent and Chemistry

I love Arabie but like others, I find it a little hard to wear at times.

I remember when I first smelled this, I was like "It smells like Christmas!" All the spices, dried fruits, candied notes, etc. remind me exactly of the holiday season! It's great. I don't have a big bottle but I have a small decant coming in that I'm going to save for the week of Christmas : )

Imo Chergui and Santal de Mysore are the two best Lutens fragrances. I would put Arabie on the next tier below those two. I'm getting a sample of Chene soon in the mail so it will be interesting to see how that stacks up. I'm desperately hoping that it can join Chergui and SdM on the top tier.

I actually own and love all three of these. I don't really see the similarity between them. I find them all very wearable and wear them often. Arabie is much more versatile than you would at first assume. I've wron it on quite warm balmy days and found it intoxicating and lovely.
    m

Quote Originally Posted by zztopp
    You're right; surprisingly it isn't much talked about.

All the elements in Santal de Mysore EDP seem to be in concert; the total effect is smooth, restrained, and integrated but at the same time typically rich and gorgeous with no harsh edges or spikes from first application to the finally drydown. I think it has a lot to do with the way the opulent sandalwood note ties everything together. It's a paragon of blending.

scentemental

Arabie... really isn't that similar to Chergui or FT. Am I the only one though who doesn't find Chergui and FT similar though? They alwasy get compared but I don't really see it. Anyways, Arabie is an awesome fragrance and it gets tons of extra points for uniqueness....
    No, you are not the only one. I sampled every Lutens fragrance that was available in the fall of 2004, and Arabie seemed to be the most masculine and most unique then. For me it still is. In their own way unique are also Ambre Sultan, Fumerie Turque, Cherqui and Santal. Fumerie also is clearly masculine. The art is choosing the right one(s) as ones own, and I don't feel I need them all.

The uniqueness of Arabie (and Ambre Sultan) corresponds to that of Kouros within the YSL, or Tabac Blond within the Caron line. They are a feast, and none of them would get daily wearing even if I owned 10 perfumes only. But in the long run, who does?
    'Il mondo dei profumi è un universo senza limiti: una fraganza puo rievocare sensazioni, luoghi, persone o ancora condurre in uno spazio di nuove dimensioni emozionali' L. V.

I personally don't find Arabie that outrageous as many make it seem. It's a bright oriental that doesn't have the heavy, brooding base of Chergui and FT. Arabie stays crisp as its spices don't fade during the drydown. There's something about it that I find reminiscent of potpouri and cinnamon pine cones. It's a perfect scent for Christmas IMO. It reminds me of fruit cake and nuts. Out of all the SL line that I've tried, I think Arabie stands out the most.
    Last edited by teflondog; 30th October 2006 at 03:42 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by teflondog
    I personally don't find Arabie that outrageous as many make it seem. It's a bright oriental that doesn't have the heavy, brooding base of Chergui and FT. Arabie stays crisp as its spices don't fade during the drydown. There's something about it that also reminds me of potpouri and cinnamon pine cones. It's a perfect scent for Christmas IMO. It reminds me of fruit cake and nuts. Out of all the SL line that I've tried, I think Arabie stands out the most.
    i can relate with you the drydown of chergui especially. it endures forever yet i wish it would make a decision. ft hangs around yet it does make a decision and i love where it ultimately ends up. i find its final expression to be a wonderfully sensual and lingering skin scent compliments of peru balsam.

i find arabie suitable for warm weather. it doesn't wear heavy as many people believe it would. it's very pleasant in all respects. the fact that it's warm, sexy and comfortable doesn't hurt anything either.
    Last edited by pluran; 30th October 2006 at 08:56 AM.

Book recommendations:

The Emperor of Scent
    The Perfect Scent
    Scent and Chemistry

Blog Entries

Serge Lutens' genius has me enslaved.

I loved Chergui at first sniff but did not find it as distinct, unique and memorable as others within range. Since finishing my tiny sample I find I crave it but know I shall be pretty satisfied with a 10-15ml decant unlike others.

Truth be told Chergui is unique but actually reminds me of a cross between the base notes of Ambre Sultan (amber, hay, tobacco) and D&G By Woman (slightly aqueous floral top & heart notes). Not exact but similar enough for others to assume I am wearing Chergui when I layer them together. It must be my chemistry!

Fumerie Turque is one I am still coming to grips with. Luckily I love wood, tobacco, incense, etc in my perfumes and they love me. But Fumerie, like Tabac Blond, seems not to be an everyday, any occasion scent; demanding too much attention when worn. I do adore it though. I can see it being amazing on a guy - totally dreamy. It's pretty darn good on me (have had the compliments and propositions to prove it! ) but seems to demand that I am sassy, chic and confident each time I wear it. Haven't worn enough times to pass final judgement yet.

Arabie - now this is what Serge Lutens is about! I had heard rumours for ages but didn't actually get to sniff this until a month or so ago. Well! Horrified is not the word. I knew it was supposed to be gourmand but I did not realise that there could be a gourmand that was this deep and dark. Upon first application all I could smell was licorice - dark, black licorice like the candy canes you get from the store (especially health / whole food stores)!!

I dismissed it and was very vocal in my dislike. But Serge Lutens does not have the reputation of a perfume alchemist for nothing. I found myself haunted by its depth & darkness (closet Goth gal here). I found it even more haunting layered with other less brooding scents (AA Winter Delice, Royal Secret II pour homme, Santal Blanc, Fleurs d'Oranger).

All too soon my tiny 0.5ml sample was gone and I found myself sniffing at the vial like a junkie. No other scent would do - no others where rich enough, deep enough, dark enough. I had to have more!!! A wonderful member of another forum sent me a mini and I snagged a 50ml on eBay. I am still ecstatic! I am also aware that this is still not enough...

Arabie, like Ambre Sultan, for me is a complete HG. Utterly BJW (bell Jar worthy) and one that I shall love and reach for for many years to come.
    Last edited by moondeva; 30th October 2006 at 10:41 AM.
    Favourite (Winter) Crazy Combos

Tabu + Orange Blossom * Hermes Rouge + Bellodgia* Voleur du Roses+ Rose Ispahan * Rasa Extreme + Paris * Wood Coffee + Cafe Noir *

moondeva,

always love your enthusiastic and compelling descriptions. you make those fragrances sound good.

i'm with you on arabie and ambre sultan. both are audacious and extremely satisfying. it's hard not to be enslaved by the lutens frags.

Book recommendations:

The Emperor of Scent
    The Perfect Scent
    Scent and Chemistry

'...a complete HG' ??
    And why do you always snatch my top favorites away
    cheers moondiva !!! :wave:
    'Il mondo dei profumi è un universo senza limiti: una fraganza puo rievocare sensazioni, luoghi, persone o ancora condurre in uno spazio di nuove dimensioni emozionali' L. V.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by narcus
    '...a complete HG' ??
    A Complete HG = a 'Holy Grail' perfume - perfect for you, for all occasions and always feels 'right' when you wear it. It melds with your chemistry to create an aroma totally individual and unique to you, like an aura of gorgeousness rather then a 'perfume' you are wearing. Many of the old Carons, Patous & Guerlains have this characteristic. You wear the scent and it projects / enhances the most confident, stylish, elegant aspects of you but never overwhelms or proclaims its presence. Think Shalimar, Chamade, Vol de Nuit, Narcisse Noir, Mitsouko, Bellodgia, Colony, 1000, L'Heure Bleue and you will understand what I mean.

NB: I know the term Holy Grail refers to something that is essentially unattainable by its very nature (it being a concept rather than a tangible, and something you aspire to) but that sense of peace, confidence, trust and righteousness that is implied by the term is what is felt when wearing a 'HG' perfume.

Quote Originally Posted by narcus
    [...]And why do you always snatch my top favorites away
    'snatch your top favourites away'??? My dear, there is plenty enough to share... and may I commend you on your exemplary taste!

Favourite (Winter) Crazy Combos

Tabu + Orange Blossom * Hermes Rouge + Bellodgia* Voleur du Roses+ Rose Ispahan * Rasa Extreme + Paris * Wood Coffee + Cafe Noir *

Quote Originally Posted by teflondog
    It reminds me of fruit cake and nuts.
    That's where the problem begins. I can't have people at work or in public take me for a fruitcake or a nut
    My Wardrobe
    II est de forts parfums pour qui toute matière/Est poreuse. On dirait qu'ils pénètrent le verre.

Quote Originally Posted by the_good_life
    I can't have people at work or in public take me for a fruitcake or a nut
    LOL! you made my day the_good_life!