Code of Conduct

Default Perfumes you like on your skin but not on your clothes

Okay, maybe I'm weird, but as much as I love Opium and the way it smells on me, I HATE the way it lingers in my clothes. YUCK! Possibly this is because it reminds me of my mother's closet (I'm estranged from my mother and don't like being reminded of her), but whatever it is, I just really find the scent of Opium on my shirt unpleasant (I just throw it in the wash and that's okay, but for that moment that I'm picking up the shirt, etc.... *shudder*).

Most perfumes are fine on clothes, and sometimes I'll pick up a worn shirt and smell it and think, "Mmmm, yeah, that's good," so it's not just the scent of "old perfume". It's specifically Opium.

ANYway, I was just wondering if I'm actually weird in this or if other people have this same reaction to one or more fragrances they normally like? (I'm prepared to believe that I'm weird, by the way ).

bonni
    "Love is when a girl puts on perfume and a boy puts on shaving cologne and they go out and smell each other."
    -Karl, age 5

Default Re: Perfumes you like on your skin but not on your clothes

Hello! In general, stainers are avoided when i spray on clothes, other than that i don't make much of a selection.
    But i'd rather spray on my skin because i am lazy and don't want to get the clothes to the drycleaners to get all those scents out of the fabrics.
    You are not weird BTW.

Though I never spray any perfume on my clothes, I can sometimes detect some on my clothes after wearing them. But I happen love the way my scarves, shawls and sweaters smell after I've worn them...
    "Wovon man nicht lesen kann, darüber muss man schreiben."

I have to say Opium is particularly good on *my* clothes, especially wollies. I understand that you may have bad associations, though.
    Sometimes, perfume on clothes smells truer and sharper, while on skin it warms up and loses the top notes real quick. Perhaps that's what you're experiencing.

Uhm, I think I wasn't clear.

I don't put it on my clothes. I put it on my skin, and it comes off onto my clothes, and the "after effect" on the clothes is what I don't like.

bonni
    "Love is when a girl puts on perfume and a boy puts on shaving cologne and they go out and smell each other."
    -Karl, age 5

Recently I washed a towel that had Youth Dew bath oil on it, and all the other clothes washed and dried with that towel smelled like YD. Talk about a potent scent! I could smell it all over the house. Immediately afterward I had this 2-day bug (I was really sick with headache/nausea), and the smell of those towels only made it worse. I felt like I was in some region of Dante's inferno. It will take some time before I can stand to use YD bath oil again.

Other perfumes get into my necklines, turtlenecks and scarves. It's not that I dislike the scent but I change fragrances so often that they can clash. It's ok with washables, but with woolens it can get annoying.

Quote Originally Posted by bonni

I don't put it on my clothes. I put it on my skin, and it comes off onto my clothes, and the "after effect" on the clothes is what I don't like.

bonni
    I guess you either:
    1. Have to wear it in the nude.
    2. Wear it with disposable clothes.
    3. Dab some Opium parfum closer to your nose (that way the clothes+opium+skin smell will not be so noticeable.
    4. Endure it.

cheers

Quote Originally Posted by bonni

bonni
    Oh brother! The worst case of that was with Bvlgari Blu Absolu. It had transfered itself onto my favorite scarf and NEVER came out! I washed that scarf 5 times, finally I gave up and tossed the scarf. On fabric the scent had no soul, it just reeked .

But what happened with the BBA bottle tinker424?
    did it get the can as well?

I eventually donated it to the *new supporter program* a few months ago to be made into samples

In answer to the original question, if I like them on my skin, I like them on my clothes, without any exceptions that I can recall. But I can understand how it would become obnoxious if they didn't wash out. Some scents start smelling stale after a few days. Plus you cannot wear that item of clothing with a different scent. Those would be my only concerns, and they are general, not pointed at a specific scent.