Code of Conduct
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Favorite Cheap Scent Of All Time?

What is your very favorite cheap scent of all time?

For example, mine's an even toss-up between Tabac (Original) and That Man. (I used to buy both in the drugstore, for heaven's sake. Now that That Man's discontinued, well, I guess that makes Tabac the winner by default.)

Peggy: "Right now, we have to get to the mental institution. Something terrible has happened."
    Latrelle: "What?"
    Peggy: "Brother Boy has tried to kill himself. He jumped out of his bedroom window."
    Latrelle: "Isn't he only on the second floor?"
    Peggy: "Yes, but he hit his head on a lawn gnome."
    Fr. Sordid Lives: The Series
    "Live, live, live! Life is a banquet, and most poor suckers are starving to death."
    Auntie Mame
    [/B]

Default Re: Favorite Cheap Scent Of All Time?

Guerlain - Vetiver, can normally pick this up for under £15 a bottle.

Old Spice

How cheap is cheap? I love D&G Pour Homme and Guerlain Heritage which are available for next to nothing.

Of the genuinely cheap (ie aimed as such) Old Spice isn't too offensive.

Cheap scents? Hmmmm...that would have to be the one and only Old Spice! At 6.99 a bottle they don't come much cheaper than that. And, while I don't own it or wear it...I just think its such a wonderful scent that invokes so many memories and good feelings of times gone by. My grandfather always wore it and had about 20 xtra bottles stored under the bathroom sink at all times(lots & lots of christmas presents.) My cousins & I would often spend the weekend at my grandparents house & my grandmother would pour it into our bath water(and yes, we were all girls!) I'd fall asleep with the smell of old spice wafting around me. I think this is what began my life long love affair with mens colognes! LOL

Kim
    Last edited by GraySwan; 30th October 2006 at 04:47 PM.

Caron pour homme -- classy lavender, classy house, all for $10 (3.3 Oz) !!
    -

I wouldn't use the word "cheap", affordable seems to be more appropriate.

Guerlain's Heritage gets my vote.

You can find Drakkar Noir at CVS sometimes, less than $20 always.

In terms of fond memory, as Gray Swan so nicely described, it would be Old Spice (Daddy) and especially Uralt ("really old") Lavendel (Grandma), which I always secretly sniffed and took to be some kind of magic potion as a kid, being in that ultragreen bottle and all.

If the online marketplace is counted in, I paid 1 Euro for Bogart pour homme, but that was an exception, I suppose. If Caron pour homme is really so cheap in general I would opt for that as well (it ain't in Germany, though).

If what you meant is drugstore scents, I rarely buy those but find Jovan ginseng NRG to be quite nice.
    My Wardrobe
    II est de forts parfums pour qui toute matière/Est poreuse. On dirait qu'ils pénètrent le verre.

I would have said Old Spice last year, but now I would say Stetson.

(to my nose, Old Spice, Canoe and Stetson are very similar. I have all three, but Stetson is my favorite of the three.)

I have to say Old Spice. The new OS by Old Spice is nice also. Wings for Men is a nice scent that is not too costly.
    Gary

Thrax

hmmm....Drakkar Noir, Ginseng N-R-G, Roma, Avon has a lot to offer for very cheap prices

Drakkar Noir seems to be a popular favorite for the money thus far -- that's good. Nice choice.

Imagine how pissed I was the other day to finally try Bond No. 9's (much more expensive!) Great Jones and discover that it was just Drakkar with a little more complexity and far less longevity.

I don't mind paying extra for H.O.T. Always -- Givenchy Gentleman's cousin -- as it features the civet notes so noticeably lacking in Gentleman's new "cleaner" formula. Also, its grassiness adds a slightly "upbeat" note absent in Gentleman. But, that said, I will gladly pay far less for a bottle of Drakkar Noir than to ante up the funds for a bottle of (the virtually identical) Great Jones. Just my two cents' worth.

Peggy: "Right now, we have to get to the mental institution. Something terrible has happened."
    Peggy: "Brother Boy has tried to kill himself. He jumped out of his bedroom window."
    "Live, live, live! Life is a banquet, and most poor suckers are starving to death."
    Auntie Mame
    [/B]

Bvlgari Black
    M7
    Polo Sport

For me it's Grey Flannel. Recently picked up a decent size bottle for 12.99 at TJ's.
    Beauty is an ecstasy; it is as simple as hunger.
    There is really nothing to be said about it.
    It is like the perfume of a rose: you can smell it and that is all.

--W. Somerset Maugham

My Wardrobe

Haltson 1-12 and Z-14.
    "A great perfume is a work of art, it can lift our days, haunt our nights and create the milestones of our memories. Fragrance is liquid emotion. And that never goes out of fashion. " MICHAEL EDWARDS

Drakkar Noir and Laguna.
    "...but I also can't prove that mushrooms could not be intergalactic spaceships spying on us." Daniel C. Dennett

Top 5
    Heritage 2. Antaeus3.Kouros 4. Drakkar Noir 5. Montana PDH

Tabac Original
    Old Spice

So glad to see that I'm not the only die-hard fan of Tabac Original!

Auntie Mame
    [/B]

Blog Entries

There's a difference between scents that can be had for cheap on Ebay but more expensive when you pay retail (ex. Bvlgari Black testers going for $20 on Ebay, but $60 + when you buy retail) and scents that are always inexpensive. I'm REALLY excited to get home today so I can try out my new bottle of Tomorrow by Avon. According to online tracking it's been delivered! I have a feeling it's going to be my favorite cheapie.
    "Wait...is David Bowie really God?" - Penelope Garcia

Good point, CJ -- I should have been more specific when I started this thread. That said, we've gotten some very interesting responses.

Some scents, too, fall into a third category -- the "has beens," I call this group. More specifically, these are scents that were once (and sometimes still are) designer fragrances that have since fallen into more of a drugstore/discount store price range. Drakkar is an excellent example of this type of scent, as is Je Reviens, as is Grey Flannel. Nothing whatsoever wrong with these scents, of course -- they've just a) stayed very popular (and often with good reason), and b) lost some of their (usually decades old) market cachet.

So, there ya have it -- three basic types of inexpensive scents:
    1.) Designer (or niche) fragrances that one can pick up cheaply on eBay, from tester distributors etc. (These scents still retail at full -- and usually much higher -- price, of course.)
    2.) Designer fragrances that have lost their original "top shelf" price tags and/or market cachet.
    3.) Fragrances that were always (and still are) inexpensive.

Auntie Mame
    [/B]

Either English Leather or Tabac Original.
    MisterK / Vicomte de K / K
    Ephemeral Top 5: YSL PH HC, Worth PH, Equipage, Monsieur Rochas HC, Acqua di Gio

Gillette Storm Force! A poor man's Allure. The box even says it's a "spicy oriental". Not bad for $5.
    "I exist for myself, and for those to whom my unquenchable thirst for freedom gives everything, but also for everyone, since insofar as I am able to love - I love everyone. Of noble hearts, I am the noblest - and the most generous of those that yearn to give love in return. - I am a human being, I love death and I love life."

Egon Schiele - Self-Potrait

My classics: Dior Homme EdT, YSL Rive Gauche PH, Helmut Lang Cuiron, L'Occitane Neroli (vintage), Davidoff Zino, L'Occitane Eau des Baux

http://www.basenotes.net/wardrobe/2976

Quote Originally Posted by tvlampboy
    So glad to see that I'm not the only die-hard fan of Tabac Original!
    I recently got this, and I'm very impressed. It is a lot better than it's price would suggest. I really like it.

360 men. it sells for about 15-20 bucks at walmart.

Dana English Leather all the way! Old spice is also always nice!

Smile Re: Favorite Cheap Scent Of All Time?

Santa Fe for me.
    For sale post

[url]http://community.basenotes.net/showthread.php?t=190169[/url]

" I wanna have my kicks before the whole s--t house goes up in flames"

Quote from Jim Morrison
    The Doors

Surprised nobody has put in a vote for Pinaud bay rum or clubman yet. They've got to be among the best and cheapest.

I like the Pinaud Bay Rum and Clubman both; however, neither lasts on me (hence my hesitation in listing them).

Auntie Mame
    [/B]

Florida Water or Hoyt's Cologne. Florida Water is an oldie, but Hoyt's is older and smells much nicer. Fla. Water is just bad. It was available at Walgreens a few years ago, but I did'nt see it there recently. Hoyt's Cologne was always sold at the drug/variety store in downtown Rock Hill. It closed and now I can't find Hoyt's anywhere. I think Hoyt's is the best, cheap, natural smelling stuff out there and it lasts a long time on my skin. I've seen big bottles on the internet for sale, but I also heard that you can pick it up at beauty supply outlets. Maybe I should ask around at barber shops about where I can get it locally.

S

Clive Christian No. 1

LOLOLOLOL -- good one!

Auntie Mame
    [/B]

Well the holiday season is upon us once again and I just tried Coty Musk for Men today for the first time. I have to say it's not bad at all. Definitely a "barbershop" scent: masculine, slightly musky, a little powdery, maybe a little boozy, but not to the point of obnoxiousness (if you go easy).

If the drug store is out of that, you can't go wrong with classic Old Spice.

A lot of the "wiseguys" kids wore Canoe to Dickenson High School .

I also wore it and loved it.

The change to Brut happened after I left Jersey City.

Canoe by Dana ... about 5 bucks a bottle when i was 17
    Top Notes
    Lavender, Clary Sage, Lemon
    Middle Notes
    Geranium, Carnation, Cedarwood, Patchouli ,
    Base Notes
    Vanilla, Tonka, Heliotrope, Oakmoss ,

Based solely on your recommendation, tvlampboy - I'm a new fan of Tabac. Seemed familiar from the second I put it on.

If y'all would try this $10 cologne, many of you would love it if you like sweet juices. I know I do .

Dan
    [SIZE=3][SIZE=2]"We are fast approaching the stage of the ultimate inversion: the stage where the government is free to do anything it pleases, while the citizens may act only by permission; which is the stage of the darkest periods of human history, the stage of rule by brute force." Ayn Rand...[/SIZE][/SIZE]

"The essence of fascism is to make laws forbidding everything and then enforce them selectively against your enemies."
    [URL="http://www.basenotes.net/wardrobe/2755"][COLOR=green]
    [INDENT]Daily Wardrobe [/INDENT][/COLOR]
    [/URL]

For me it would have to be Monsieur Balmain. It is a long lasting, complex spicy lemon scent. I think I paid about $15 for my large bottle at Scentiments.com.

Monsieur Musk.

santa fe 12 bucks, old english leather. how much does chaps cost?

Quote Originally Posted by paintrman
    For me it would have to be Monsieur Balmain. It is a long lasting, complex spicy lemon scent. I think I paid about $15 for my large bottle at Scentiments.com.
    Agreed. It has the most wonderful lemon BLAST in the beginning... smells much classier than the low price would suggest.

Another good cheapy from Balmain is Madame Jolie. It has a wonderful earthy, dirty leather note that makes it quite unique.
    Is there any point in saying everything? -Basho

Brut, no doubt about it. I still like it today. Awesome longevity too.

Black Stetson is really good too. Gorgeous scent, poor longevity, though.

I vote for Coty Musk and English Leather as well.
    Peace ~ Markymark

I don't know that it is my favorite cheapie, but one favorite that is very cheap is Puig's Quorum.

Love it, and it's cheap cheap cheap.
    --Chris
    That girl, that bottle, that mattress and me.

Assuming that the epitome of, "cheap", is drugstore frags...

Blue Stratos (if I could still find it). This has sentimental value because it was the first cologne I bought with my own money at the tender age of 13 (to impress the chicks!)

After that, maybe British Sterling or Old Spice...

Paul
    [FONT=georgia, bookman old style, palatino linotype, book antiqua, palatino, trebuchet ms, helvetica, garamond, sans-serif, arial, verdana, avante garde, century gothic, comic sans ms, times, times new roman, serif]“Enjoy the little things, for one day you may look back and realize they were the big things.”[/FONT]

~ Robert Brault

Canoe & British Sterling are pretty cheap in our parts.

.....Jovan Musk. This fragrance still drives me crazy. Makes me think of my bother-in-law. It's sick, I know.

Seems like I can always find a bottle of Cool Water at a very reasonable price now, and that's a good thing because it's still one of my all time favorites.

Thumbs up Re: Favorite Cheap Scent Of All Time?

Quote Originally Posted by DustB
    I don't know that it is my favorite cheapie, but one favorite that is very cheap is Puig's Quorum.

--Chris

I second this.

Last edited by ramtip; 20th February 2007 at 05:23 AM.

I agree with the junkie - Drakkar and M7 may be found relatively cheap on ebay, but in the store they're $50-60. Cheap stuff is Brut, Old Spice, Aqua Velva, Tabac, etc.

My CHeap favourites are Old Spice and English Leather.

Quote Originally Posted by CologneJunkie
    There's a difference between scents that can be had for cheap on Ebay but more expensive when you pay retail (ex. Bvlgari Black testers going for $20 on Ebay, but $60 + when you buy retail) and scents that are always inexpensive. I'm REALLY excited to get home today so I can try out my new bottle of Tomorrow by Avon. According to online tracking it's been delivered! I have a feeling it's going to be my favorite cheapie.

DustB/Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by MacCOOL
    I second this.

I third this!

also preferred stock and aspen.
    Last edited by MY_2_Scents; 19th February 2007 at 08:06 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Millionaire by Mennen when it was still available..( post says, of all time, so there!)
    Current Favourites: Touaregh -Il Profumo/ Le Vainqueur- Rue Rance/ Versus Uomo -Versace/ Sculpture -Nikos/ Acier Aluminium - Creed/ Santal Noble - MPG

zino by davidoff.

Several:

Jovan, ANDRON (truly groundbreaking, but discontinued long ago)
    Liz Claiborne, SPARK and SPARK SEDUCTION FOR MEN
    Elizabeth Taylor, PASSION FOR MEN (and WHITE DIAMONDS for the ladies)

Avon, MOONWIND (memories of my dear mother); I also liked CHARISMA and stuff from the 1970s.

Does anyone remember HAI KARATE? I never actually USED it, but I remember the commercials! :-)

Carven Homme is a classy favorite of mine.

And yesterday for the first time in awhile I wore Fred Hayman's Hollywood, which is quite nice.

Quote Originally Posted by Cognoscento
    And yesterday for the first time in awhile I wore Fred Hayman's Hollywood, which is quite nice.
    I agree! I really like HOLLYWOOD! In my opinion, it's a nice summer frag.

Quote Originally Posted by Pepe Le Pew
    Several:

Jovan, ANDRON (truly groundbreaking, but discontinued long ago)
    I completely agree with Andron by Jovan. The first cologne with pheromones in it back in the early 80's. But the fragrance is MUCH more then a pheromone gimmick. It is a wonderful fragrance in its own right and as other fragrances have come and gone from my wardrobe, Andorn has stayed and for a good reason. It originally cost me $7.99, but that same 1oz bottle now regularly goes for over $100 on Ebay.
    In all matters of opinion, our adversaries are insane - Oscar Wilde

Quote Originally Posted by Dante
    How cheap is cheap? I love D&G Pour Homme and Guerlain Heritage which are available for next to nothing.

Of the genuinely cheap (ie aimed as such) Old Spice isn't too offensive.

I was going to ask the same question !!!

It is amaizing what good quality scent can be purchased at great prices
    The famous "Grasse" companies do offer great value - but Yves Rocher does offer super value when they have discounts.
    Lets not forget Floris sales twice a year !!!!
    And my new comer Crabtree and Evelyn very well prices and super goodies.

In conclusion _ your purse will choose where and your nose will chose what !!!

I never buy from Ebay - I want to know where the stuff comes from .

Laurent
    Invisible Power

Quote Originally Posted by zestyfresh
    .....Jovan Musk.

LOL. I thought I was going to be the only one to mention this classic. It's a toss-up between Old Spice and Jovan Musk for me. Jovan Musk reminds me of cheap, sleazy, forgettable sex, but always fun. It's what I always imagined Larry from Three's Company would have worn.

Hi all,

If I were to wear an inexpensive CLASSY fragrance (that can run with the BIG Dogs)...GUERLAIN HERITAGE is a must have! On the other hand, if I want to wear something UNIQUE (read down and dirty!) No doubt about it...
    BANDIT!

Regards,
    SixCats!