Code of Conduct

Blog Entries

Default Another question about deoderant crystals/alum stones...

I absolutely love the concept of deoderant crystals/alum stones. I have one that I got @ Walgreens or CVS, can't remember which. It doesn't have a brand to it, but it's in a light blue container. I can only use this every once in awhile because my skin gets irritated with continued use. Does that mean that I'll get the same reaction with other brands? Are there any brands that you all use that work well?
    "Wait...is David Bowie really God?" - Penelope Garcia

Default Re: Another question about deoderant crystals/alum stones...

Quote Originally Posted by CologneJunkie
    I absolutely love the concept of deoderant crystals/alum stones. . . . I can only use this every once in awhile because my skin gets irritated with continued use. Does that mean that I'll get the same reaction with other brands?
    I have had a similar experience with deoderant crystals. I have used one since the beginning of the year, and I was very happy with it.

Although it was more expensive than ordinary deoderant, it is the better buy, because it lasts so long. Being fragrance-free, it will not interfere with my fragrance. Also, some brands have very little packaging material to contribute to landfill. There seemed to be no downside to it.

However, when I read the last thread on this subject, I decided that I was not using it enough. I started applying it much more thoroughly, and I broke out very painfully. I stopped using it until my skin cleared up, and I went back to applying it the way that I first did.

I suggest that you stop using it until your skin heals. Then, start using it again, but rub it much less vigorously on your skin for much less time each day. I would think that you would be able to use it on a daily basis after that regardless of brand.

Blog Entries

Thanks for the advice! I do tend to rub pretty vigorously just to make sure I'm getting everything. I'll try just gliding it a couple times over my pits & see if that helps.
    "Wait...is David Bowie really God?" - Penelope Garcia

CJ, I'm a big fan of the crystal deoderant stick, have never had a problem with it, and apply it fairly heavily.

I can't really answer your question. However, do you apply it when your pits are wet right out of the shower, or at least thoroughly wet the stick and/or your underarms before applying? When everything is nice and wet, the crystal glides very smoothly on the skin, but when there is not enough moisture it will scrape, pull and irritate. If it is purely a chemical irritation, then this won't make a difference, but if it is a physical irritation from a too dry application, it may make a big difference.

--Steve
    Just because it happened to you doesn't make it interesting.

In theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. In practice, there is.

My sales thread: http://www.basenotes.net/threads/304...85#post2614885

Wanted: YSL Nu EdP

Wink Re: Another question about deoderant crystals/alum stones...

Hi Colognejunkie,

you can do as follows: Put some crystal in an atomizer, add pure water or witch hazel or rose water (also some aloe vera gel), shake vigourously and spray your underarms.

It works without irritating. If needed, you can then put on a drop of unscented soothing cream/lotion.

+++ Waldemar

Lightbulb Re: Another question about deoderant crystals/alum stones...

I like the crystal deodorant brand. (the label is purple and it has two people, a guy and a girl, rubbing it on their pits) But instead of the actual rock, use the roll on.