Code of Conduct
    akenep

Default Help..Looking for 1 all around scent

I am looking for 1 all around scent to wear. Something that is light and clean and not overpowering but would still like something to turn a few heads. I do alot of traveling for my job so I need a very versatile scent that I can wear in an office meeting and at a club or dinner. I have tried Gendarme and found it to be to synthetic smelling as TM cologne.
    I have a few in mind such as Dior Eau Savage or YSL Live Jazz. Any suggestions?
    Last edited by akenep; 31st October 2006 at 04:51 AM.

Default Re: Help..Looking for 1 all around scent

Hands down the most versatile frag Ive tested / worn is Guerlain Vetiver. You cant go wrong when you wear it, it is suitable to any situation.

Eau Savage is not a bad choice although I'd like to see more offerings in the range. I think the best thing to hit the market of recent is Terre D'Hermes. It is spicy, citrus, green, deep, and smooth all in one fragrance. To each his own but, I like it. Another comparable fragrance is Blenheim Bouquet; class in a bottle.

Frederic Malle Editions - Vetiver Extrordinaire. Not your typical vetiver; satisfies all your criteria. a bit more interesting/unique than eau sauvage, and better longevity too IME. I also think MPG centaure could work. The other all 'rounders in my collection are cuiron (slightly rich for office maybe) and jean pascal. (oh - and gendarme )

hth
    baald

edit - i'll second the blendheim bouquet, too.
    baald

Buy my extra scents - mainly niche - over 50 items (tiny bottles)

I was going to suggest Live Jazz but you already have that in your mind...Perhaps XS by paco rabanne could be a good choice as well...i wear it to the gym, work, everywhere....fantastic stuff...

gupts

Geurlain Vetiver is a good one, but the opening is rather sharp, and some don't like it. After 20 minutes, probably just what you're looking for.

Bvlgari PH is a very nice one as well if you want a less green take on the fresh category.

People are going to disagree here, but I find that Gucci Rush is a good all-arounder. It's rather sharp and can be a bit off-putting in the opening, but it dries down very quickly to a smooth, woody, subtle accord that would at home almost anywhere. Tam Dao by Diptyque is an even better take on the same theme, if you're willing to pay a bit more.

Chanel Pour Monsieur is a very nice light, fresh oriental. It has a nice lemon-spice opening with a subtle and very enjoyable powdery drydown. Amazing anywhere, any time scent that gets lots of compliments on me.

Live Jazz can be a good one, but it has a definite tendency to go sour on me and actually makes me a bit ill after awhile. Be careful with it.

Baald suggested Helmut Lang Cuiron...great one if you like leathers (which i do). It's probably the only one I can think of that I'd want to wear to an office.

Last but certainly not least is Terre D'Hermes. It is citrusy, mineralic, and a bit spicy. Many here love it, and i am not the first to suggest it, but it deserves all its attention. Lasting power is impressive and it just smells great.
    Last edited by LiveJazz; 31st October 2006 at 05:30 AM.
    "It's not what you look like when you're doing what you're doing; it's what you're doing when you're doing what you look like you're doing."

Dior's Eau Sauvage
    Guerlain's Vetiver
    Chanel pour Monsiuer
    "A great perfume is a work of art, it can lift our days, haunt our nights and create the milestones of our memories. Fragrance is liquid emotion. And that never goes out of fashion. " MICHAEL EDWARDS

Thrax

Bulgari PH
    Geir
    Millesime Imperial?

I'm afraid I'm gonna copy off everyone else and suggest:

Creed GIT
    Guerlain Vetiver
    Malle Vetiver Extraordinaire
    Terre d'Hermes
    Armani Eau PH
    Chanel Pour Monsieur (I would go for Concentree)
    Guerlain L'Instant (very versatile, a bit sweeter and richer than the others but not too much)

Ged
    Top 10 (not in order): Dunhill 1934, Dunhill Edition, Terre d'Hermes, Rive Gauche, Habit Rouge, Guerlain Vetiver, Knize Ten, Bois du Portugal, Vintage Tabarome, Green Irish Tweed

Summer Rotation: GIT, Aventus, Erolfa, Vetiver 1948, Guerlain Vetiver, Malle VE, Terre d'Hermes, Bvlgari PH, Bvlgari Acqua, Habit Rouge EDC and Sport, ADP Colonia Assoluta, Chanel PMC, Dunhill Edition, Eau Sauvage, TF Azure Lime

Post Re: Help..Looking for 1 all around scent

Lorenzo Villoresi's Uomo is a must try for you. At the moment it's the fragrance I don't want to be without.

Eau d'Hermes
    "...The history of perfumery before this subdivision of niche was manufactured, both literally and imaginatively, is a long one, with thousands upon thousands of fragrances. The true fragrance lover takes each fragrance one at a time, and examines it preferably outside of the imaginatively manufactured categories and, in doing so, builds up a steady, informed basis for seasoned comparative judgments based on the sampling and information gathered from such sampling. This is why any one on the board who ever has anything particular interesting to say about fragrances as fragrances rather than as categorical constructs always has an abiding interest and passion for all kinds of fragrances and not just a narrow niche of fragrances. Conversely, the "niche whores," the more and more narrow their interests become, the more and more they mimic the ad copy of the very companies they worship. I know whose posts I like to read..."

“Perfume is decidedly not about two things: it isn’t about memory and it isn’t about sex. Perfume is about beauty and intellect,” .......... “A perfume is a message in a bottle—not a smell—and the message is written by the perfumer and read by the person who smells it.”

Rodier pour homme. To me, Gendarme in natural plus it's something not everybody has.
    My Wardrobe
    II est de forts parfums pour qui toute matière/Est poreuse. On dirait qu'ils pénètrent le verre.

I think the recent thread about the best office scents that women love would be helpful to read because it is a somewhat similar topic and has a lot of similar responses. I don't have anything to add the responses so far have been right on point.

If I had to choose for my husband (and myself) I would say Guerlain's Jicky. Beautiful through all seasons. Perfect for a Monday morning meeting at the office but also for a romantic dinner. It follows your mood and is never boring. Simply spells: classy!
    The bird of paradise alights only upon the hand that does not grasp

Guess Man
    Acqua di Gio
    Issey Miyake

Quote Originally Posted by Riannon
    If I had to choose for my husband (and myself) I would say Guerlain's Jicky. Beautiful through all seasons. Perfect for a Monday morning meeting at the office but also for a romantic dinner. It follows your mood and is never boring. Simply spells: classy!
    I love Jicky.
    "...The history of perfumery before this subdivision of niche was manufactured, both literally and imaginatively, is a long one, with thousands upon thousands of fragrances. The true fragrance lover takes each fragrance one at a time, and examines it preferably outside of the imaginatively manufactured categories and, in doing so, builds up a steady, informed basis for seasoned comparative judgments based on the sampling and information gathered from such sampling. This is why any one on the board who ever has anything particular interesting to say about fragrances as fragrances rather than as categorical constructs always has an abiding interest and passion for all kinds of fragrances and not just a narrow niche of fragrances. Conversely, the "niche whores," the more and more narrow their interests become, the more and more they mimic the ad copy of the very companies they worship. I know whose posts I like to read..."

“Perfume is decidedly not about two things: it isn’t about memory and it isn’t about sex. Perfume is about beauty and intellect,” .......... “A perfume is a message in a bottle—not a smell—and the message is written by the perfumer and read by the person who smells it.”

I'd also suggest Millésime Impérial due to the incredible versatility!

Quote Originally Posted by pluran
    I love Jicky.
    Verrry good taste, Pluran. I just love men who love Jicky
    The bird of paradise alights only upon the hand that does not grasp

You might want to try Acqua di Parma. Very classy. They also make a lot of ancillary products (deo, shaving cream, lotion, etc.)

Most are very good suggestions here. But most, as with your original curiosities (Eau Savage and Live Jazz) are very common ones that many out there are wearing. Some suggestions for "fresh and clean" that are not so common but very good (IMHO of course) are:

Creative Universe Mare

Gai Mattiolo Uomo

Heeley's Eau de Cedre (my personal fave)

Bond No. 9 Scent of Peace (expensive as hell though)

I think Chanel Egoiste is one of the most versatile fragrances around.

Blog Entries

If you don't mind plunking down some $$$ for a really good scent, I agree w/ everyone who has mentioned Creed Green Irish Tweed and Creed Millesime Imperial.

I also want to add Clinique Happy. It's a very clean citrusy scent that meets all your qualifications.
    "Wait...is David Bowie really God?" - Penelope Garcia

Terre d'Hermes will turn heads. It's a clean, non-synthetic scent.

Acqua di Parma will not turn heads, although it's a great classic scent.

If I chose it for me, it would be the latter. For others, Terre d'Hermes.

Quote Originally Posted by CologneJunkie
    If you don't mind plunking down some $$$ for a really good scent, I agree w/ everyone who has mentioned Creed Green Irish Tweed and Creed Millesime Imperial.
    Yes, of the fresh ones I just wanted to recommend GIT, of the sweet-oriental ones Armani Code might be a non-offensive, versatile, good choice.

akenep

Thanks for all the great suggestions. This is a great group. I was curious where I could find a sample of Rodier pour Homme and Gai Mattiolo Uomo. I am looking to find something not so mainstream. Again thanks for all the help.

I agree with all those that suggested Geir. I love Allure also.

You might try Green Water by Jacques Fath. Silver Mountain Water by Creed is also a very good choice. Btw, if you must do Eau Sauvage (a great choice, that!), do yourself a favor and get the Extreme version -- it is more complex and lasts longer.

Peggy: "Right now, we have to get to the mental institution. Something terrible has happened."
    Latrelle: "What?"
    Peggy: "Brother Boy has tried to kill himself. He jumped out of his bedroom window."
    Latrelle: "Isn't he only on the second floor?"
    Peggy: "Yes, but he hit his head on a lawn gnome."
    Fr. Sordid Lives: The Series
    "Live, live, live! Life is a banquet, and most poor suckers are starving to death."
    Auntie Mame
    [/B]

Quote Originally Posted by rompip
    Hands down the most versatile frag Ive tested / worn is Guerlain Vetiver. You cant go wrong when you wear it, it is suitable to any situation.
    Ditto
    There is no Nose....

Quote Originally Posted by Thrax
    Millesime Imperial?
    Yes but only *2* shots!!
    There is no Nose....

Quote Originally Posted by OlfaOmega
    Ditto
    Agreed