Code of Conduct

Default Monsieur Morabito

Folks

I picked up a bottle of this quite cheap from Amazon and am really blown away by it. But I don't know what it is that I am smelling, other than that it seems to be an oriental. But the main note of this is so distinctive and unusual that I wondered if anyone here has smelled it and knows something about its notes. There are no reviews here on Basenotes and it seems to have been overlooked. Can anyone provide a more analytic perspective on it?

One thing I do know is that it is pretty strong stuff, and it lasts quite well. Typical mid 90s scent!

I think this one is really quite beautiful.

Eluard

Default Re: Monsieur Morabito

To answer my own question I've just discovered that this smells very similar to AD Plus, by Alain Delon (1987). It is a beautiful fragrance of what some people think of as the dreaded 80s variety: strong, long lasting, subtle, obviously expensive ingredients.

(BTW I don't think I've known a woman who didn't think that Alain Delon was one of the most good looking men they'd ever seen. Glad to see he also produced such great fragrances.)

cheers

Eluard

Thanks for sharing your enthusiasm. I've always wanted to smell the Morabito scents and looked for their boutique in Paris but did not find it. I'll check out Amazon and maybe buy it blind? Could you elaborate more on the scent, if you please. Thanks.
    "A great perfume is a work of art, it can lift our days, haunt our nights and create the milestones of our memories. Fragrance is liquid emotion. And that never goes out of fashion. " MICHAEL EDWARDS

Quote Originally Posted by aubrgene
    Thanks for sharing your enthusiasm. I've always wanted to smell the Morabito scents and looked for their boutique in Paris but did not find it. I'll check out Amazon and maybe buy it blind? Could you elaborate more on the scent, if you please. Thanks.
    The problem for me in describing it is that is not like anything else I've smelled. It seems a little similar to Versailles pour Homme, but it is only today, looking at the scent pyramid for AD Plus that I've had any idea what might be in it. It would really take a more experienced nose than mine to describe what the dominant note in this phenomenal drydown is. It's mysetrious (to me) and quite sexy: I detect lavender, and a bit of leather, but there is something else that I don't know. My post was in hope that someone else might know it better.

Sorry I can't be of more help.

Eluard

Quote Originally Posted by Eluard
    Folks

I picked up a bottle of this quite cheap from Amazon and am really blown away by it. But I don't know what it is that I am smelling, other than that it seems to be an oriental. But the main note of this is so distinctive and unusual that I wondered if anyone here has smelled it and knows something about its notes. There are no reviews here on Basenotes and it seems to have been overlooked. Can anyone provide a more analytic perspective on it?

One thing I do know is that it is pretty strong stuff, and it lasts quite well. Typical mid 90s scent!

I think this one is really quite beautiful.

Eluard
    Thanks Eluard-- I think I'm getting the gist of what you're trying to describe and it sounds exactly like what I would be interested in. I love bold, strong fragrances like Trussardi Uomo, but your magic word is "80's". I'll check Amazon to see if they still have it available. BTW. I rented a movie called "Purple Noon" with Alain Delon and enjoyed it very much... hard to believe that he is now a perfumer.:-)
    "A great perfume is a work of art, it can lift our days, haunt our nights and create the milestones of our memories. Fragrance is liquid emotion. And that never goes out of fashion. " MICHAEL EDWARDS

Thanks Eluard-- I think I'm getting the gist of what you're trying to describe and it sounds exactly like what I would be interested in. I love bold, strong fragrances like Trussardi Uomo, but your magic word is "80's". I'll check Amazon to see if they still have it available. BTW. I rented a movie called "Purple Noon" with Alain Delon and enjoyed it very much... hard to believe that he is now a perfumer.:-)
    Purple Noon is his first movie, and a great one! It was remade as The Talented Mr Ripley — with Matt Damon, I think.

I have Trussardi, and Morabito is more subtle, more generally wearable. But is definitely 80s, and its similarity to the incredibly expensive Versailles makes it a steal at the price they are asking (around $25 if I remember right). I don't think you'll regret it!
    Last edited by Eluard; 14th November 2006 at 07:25 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Eluard
    Purple Noon is his first movie, and a great one! It was remade as The Incredible Mr Ripley — with Matt Damon, I think.

I have Trussardi, and Morabito is more subtle, more generally wearable. But is definitely 80s, and its similarity to the incredibly expensive Versailles makes it a steal at the price they are asking (around $25 if I remember right). I don't think you'll regret it!

Eluard-- I just ordered a bottle on Amazon. It's the blue art- deco bottle Morabito. Yes, it's discounted so THANKS! I'll let you know if I like it. Going back to Purple Noon.. yes, it was a great movie and liked it better than the remake. I also liked the men's style/fashion. Very classic.

One final thing about Alain Delon. One of his great films was The Samurai, directed by Jean-Pierre Melville. Of course this then became the name of one of (or really several of) Delon's fragrances.

Hope you enjoy Morabito

Eluard

I just got the bottle this morning! I opened it and it's very nice fragrance. Im getting notes of Iris among other things. I'll wear it today and give you a more detail review. Thanks again. Now that you got me in a Morabito bug, I'm not interested in the Or Black for Men and the Morabito Homme. Do you know anything about any of it? Thanks again!!

I just got the bottle this morning! I opened it and it's very nice fragrance. Im getting notes of Iris among other things. I'll wear it today and give you a more detail review. Thanks again. Now that you got me in a Morabito bug, I'm not interested in the Or Black for Men and the Morabito Homme. Do you know anything about any of it? Thanks again!!
    Glad you like it, and pleased to hear that there is Iris in it — that leading note is quite lovely and distinctive. But sorry, all I know about Or Black is that it is very expensive and all but unobtainable. I will definitely pick up other Morabito scents though if I see them. I don't know why they are so overlooked.

This sounds like a great fragrance--80s, similar to Versailles, which I have but paid a fortune for...way cool bottle...I ordered it blind last night from Amazon.

Always lookin' for them hidden treasures, and thanks!

Wow....got this one today...No wonder you had a hard time describing it, E! This is one of the most unusual scents I've ever experienced and I don't even want to know what that mysterious top note is...I don't get the Versailles comparison, but then again I don't have a clue what to compare it to...

I'm wearing it now as my SOTE...I like it...I think!

Thumbs up Re: Monsieur Morabito

Morabito's Or Black is one of the greatest renditions of leather I've come across. It was created by the same guy who made Opium for woman and Hermes' Bel Ami. You might run across it on Ebay. That's where I got mine.

Quote Originally Posted by Rebelwithoutaclue
    Wow....got this one today...I don't get the Versailles comparison, but then again I don't have a clue what to compare it to...
    Yes, you're right — the Versailles comparison was off. And I've also got no idea what that distinctive note is — there's nothing else like it.