Code of Conduct

Default Maria Amalia - A Secret Unveiled?

This is for Riannon *waving!* who, as an enabler extraordinaire, piqued my interest and created a lemming for this scent…
    On my skin, after an initial blast of what I perceived as vetiver even though it is not listed among the notes, Maria Amalia revealed a true dry and warm nature (no lemon peel or rose that I’m aware of) and a never-ending drydown of myrrh with the slightest mushroom-like accent, and earthy, soft patchouli emphasizing precious wood notes. This is pure heaven for my nose! Now I’m the proud owner of this magic potion and hope to shed some light on a perfume mystery. I was immediately captured by the scent, by the tale and felt a bond with this rebellious and wild woman…romantic that I am

The Story
    Maria Amalia Archduchess of Austria (1746-1804) was fair skinned with ice-blue eyes and purple red, long and wavy hair. At age 23 this rebellious daughter of Empress Maria Theresia of Austria married Ferdinand of Borbone, Duke of Parma, 5 years her junior. Regrettably, her marriage wasn’t a happy one. Ferdinand was a weak-willed, rather clumsy young man and so, Maria Amalia quickly found her pleasure elsewhere. Soon, the Duchess of Parma decided to live on her own, in a hunting lodge in the middle of the beech woods. She loved to hunt, adored horses and had a weak spot for the young, strong men whom she hired as guards or who worked in the stables. Many are the adjectives used to define her: lively, fascinating, sensuous, rude, eccentric, spontaneous, unconventional. The story goes that in her quarters, besides many private letters revealing her passionate soul, a jewel box was found, containing a gorgeous crystal perfume bottle and an accurately hidden scrap of paper with a formula. Maria Amalia’s perfume? The scent inside the bottle was so alluring and peculiar that whoever discovered it thought it must have been Amalia’s perfume, and decided that modern perfume lovers like us should be given a chance to test and wear it. The booklet illustrating the scent itself and a bit of Maria Amalia’s story shows a few paintings of John Waterhouse, a Pre-Raphaelite movement artist (I initially mistook the paintings for Dante Gabriel Rossetti’s, but these delicate females do not have Rossetti’s typical, awfully strong jawline!). You can google Waterhouse’s two paintings “The Soul of the Rose” (for an imaginary Maria Amalia) and “Psyche opening the Golden Box” (reminiscent of Amalia’s jewel case) to get an idea.

The Perfume
    This beauty comes as an EdP concentré (urn-like crystal splash bottle), as an EdP (pressed glass spray bottle, same form) and as a parfum extrait as a limited edition numbered hand-made crystal flacon in a striking blue casket (similar to the one you may see in “Psyche opening the Golden Box”).

Head notes: Cardamom balsam, lemon peel, ginger roots
    Heart notes: May rose, cinnamon leaves, nutmeg powder
    Base notes: Myrrh and incense, rosewood and patchouli.

Maria Amalia is produced and distributed by Morris, an Italian branch of Schwarzkopf/Henkel (but please don’t let this reference destroy the romantic story of the perfume, LOL).
    As a side note, I’m happy I had the chance to discover the “British Box” store in Milan – the owner is a delightful and very knowledgeable person with a true passion for perfume. Be sure to visit if you pass by
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]Sniffing around
    I'll stop wearing black when they make something darker

Default Re: Maria Amalia - A Secret Unveiled?

Thank you so much, Lady_in_Black for doing the great detective work in a real-life format. Please update us often about the longevity and nuances of the smell itself.

Do they have a web-site or any other place to order a small sample from? Do they ship overseas?

My thanks also extend to Riannon who started the new lemming farm here.

Quote Originally Posted by Lady_in_Black
    This is for Riannon *waving!* who, as an enabler extraordinaire, piqued my interest and created a lemming for this scent…
    On my skin, after an initial blast of what I perceived as vetiver even though it is not listed among the notes, Maria Amalia revealed a true dry and warm nature (no lemon peel or rose that I’m aware of) and a never-ending drydown of myrrh with the slightest mushroom-like accent, and earthy, soft patchouli emphasizing precious wood notes. This is pure heaven for my nose! Now I’m the proud owner of this magic potion and hope to shed some light on a perfume mystery. I was immediately captured by the scent, by the tale and felt a bond with this rebellious and wild woman…romantic that I am

The booklet illustrating the scent itself and a bit of Maria Amalia’s story shows a few paintings of John Waterhouse, a Pre-Raphaelite movement artist

Head notes: Cardamom balsam, lemon peel, ginger roots
    Heart notes: May rose, cinnamon leaves, nutmeg powder
    Base notes: Myrrh and incense, rosewood and patchouli.
    My fragrance Queen!! (will be wearing black in your honour today). Dear Lord, this is more, much more than I expected! Almost speechless, and that does not often happen (yes, yes, ALMOST, I said!). I just knew it: Myrhh in the base! Sometimes I got that 'La Myrhhe' from SL feeling, but since my two other 'partners in scent-crime' did not get that note, I thought it was just me. It is great to read at last that I was right about that one.
    And that great story about Maria Amalia! Hmm, 'the adjectives used to define her'.....some of them reminded me of someone....how remarkable. Funny thing is I chose a painting from John Waterhouse for my avatar! Coincidence?
    Thank you, Lady dear! And I am delighted that you now also love this scent.
    Big hug!
    The bird of paradise alights only upon the hand that does not grasp

Oh guys - please keep this info coming and on the thread (don't you love "enabler extraordinaire"?? ) 'cause I thought Riannon said the scent was discontinued.

I'm sure I'm just one of the addict/lemmings who would love to try this frag!
    "The world is ruled by letting things take their course. It cannot be ruled by interfering." Lao Tze

Veeerrrrry interesting... The lemmings are out of their cages and running for the cliff's edge. I feel myself moving forward.

Thank you all (blushes)!
    As you know, this particular lemming of mine already jumped but is now safely swimming towards sandy shores, LOL. OOps, I forgot to tell you that there's also the shower gel and the body lotion (har har har)...

Riannon, after you pointed it out, I realised that your avatar is a Waterhouse indeed - it's the Lady of Shallott! It's more than a coincidence, don't you think? And yes, I do fully agree with you: there's a note - I defined it as slightly mushroomy myrrh - that is somewhat reminiscent of La Myrrhe (I do happen to own and love LaM!).

Taolady, the scent is not discontinued, it's only hard to find, a well-guarded secret, it seems

Twolf, I'm sorry, as far as I know there's no site for Maria Amalia and I'm not aware of someone selling samples on the web. But...watch out for PMs! The longevity of the scent is excellent, but it stays close to the skin, almost devoid of sillage. The feeling I get is more like an aura around me.
    Last edited by Lady_in_Black; 1st November 2006 at 03:05 PM.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]Sniffing around
    I'll stop wearing black when they make something darker

Quote Originally Posted by Taolady
    Oh guys - please keep this info coming and on the thread (don't you love "enabler extraordinaire"?? ) 'cause I thought Riannon said the scent was discontinued.

I'm sure I'm just one of the addict/lemmings who would love to try this frag!
    Morning dear (and another beautiful SotD is waiting specially for you )
    Just PM'd you. Your screeching lemming woke me this morning
    The bird of paradise alights only upon the hand that does not grasp