Code of Conduct

Default What ingredient makes a scent smell powdery

I have always wondered what this ingredient is. Lagerfeld has that feel and so does Cuir de Russie. In fact I think Cuir smells a little like Johnson and Johnson baby powder in my opinion. I think I read a post once that mentioned Johnson and Johnson baby powder had an ingredient called " mummia" in it. Maybe I am not remembering correctly.

Rick
    For sale post

http://community.basenotes.net/showthread.php?t=190169

" I wanna have my kicks before the whole s--t house goes up in flames"

Quote from Jim Morrison
    The Doors

Thrax

Default Re: What ingredient makes a scent smell powdery

Tonka?

A mix of Amber, Vanilla and Tonka perhaps.

And whic Cuir De Russie are you talking about ? Chanels' or Creeds' ?
    -

Smile Re: What ingredient makes a scent smell powdery

Sorry I am referring to Creeds Cuir de Russie

Rick
    For sale post

http://community.basenotes.net/showthread.php?t=190169

" I wanna have my kicks before the whole s--t house goes up in flames"

Quote from Jim Morrison
    The Doors

I'm not familiar with Creed Cuir de Russie, so can't tell what makes it powdery, but heliotrope, iris/orris, sandalwood and amber are often responsible for that effect.
    "Wovon man nicht lesen kann, darüber muss man schreiben."

Amber (e.g The Dreamer), vanilla (e.g. Pi), tonka (e.g. any number of fragrances), sandalwood (e.g. Zizanie), to name but a few.

Peggy: "Right now, we have to get to the mental institution. Something terrible has happened."
    Latrelle: "What?"
    Peggy: "Brother Boy has tried to kill himself. He jumped out of his bedroom window."
    Latrelle: "Isn't he only on the second floor?"
    Peggy: "Yes, but he hit his head on a lawn gnome."
    Fr. Sordid Lives: The Series
    "Live, live, live! Life is a banquet, and most poor suckers are starving to death."
    Auntie Mame
    [/B]

Quote Originally Posted by DOCPSYCHO
    Sorry I am referring to Creeds Cuir de Russie

Rick
    I smell Ambergris.

I thought at first that it must be Inonoes or Methyl ionones but since Creed says they only use natural ingredients maybe some viola odorata was used that we don't know about.
    The Methyl ionone can also be a nice, smooth powdery link between the more "floral" mid notes with the more woody basenotes.
    Also, some ambergris and variations of sandalwood, depending of course on where they're from and the method of extraction and its use, can give the powdery note or smell.

Quote Originally Posted by DOCPSYCHO
    I have always wondered what this ingredient is. Lagerfeld has that feel and so does Cuir de Russie. In fact I think Cuir smells a little like Johnson and Johnson baby powder in my opinion. I think I read a post once that mentioned Johnson and Johnson baby powder had an ingredient called " mummia" in it. Maybe I am not remembering correctly.

Rick
    he rick, i don't know what folks told you, but it's nonesense! did they refer perhaps to mumia (also written with mm!), that pigment used by the great old masters of painting for brownish hues? it was really made out of mummies and was an "export-no.1" for what is now egypt... but with no smelling properties...(i hope! *lol*)
    what gives a scent that powdery note is rather a combination of materials, than a single one: ...always vanilline and synthetic musks ( the real thing is of course no longer used by the industry, but genuine musk never had a quality that delivers powderiness to a frag!) together with ionone and its methylated brother (alpha-iso-methyl-ionone aka gamma-methyl-ionone), imbedded in resinous materials in high-quality perfumery...traces of patchouly and oakmoss and woody materials add depth here...

that's what is is all about and in j&j's baby powder it's all build around a rose base...
    si doux, tout musc...

oh, yes, i forgot tonka which is pure coumarin mostly...
    si doux, tout musc...

Quote Originally Posted by castorpollux
    I thought at first that it must be Inonoes or Methyl ionones but since Creed says they only use natural ingredients maybe some viola odorata was used that we don't know about.
    The Methyl ionone can also be a nice, smooth powdery link between the more "floral" mid notes with the more woody basenotes.
    Also, some ambergris and variations of sandalwood, depending of course on where they're from and the method of extraction and its use, can give the powdery note or smell.

cp, please do belive me: no frag after 1950 without one or several ionones.. don't belive in creed's lies (thats what it is, sorry i didn't want to desillusionate you, but it's a fact!)
    si doux, tout musc...