Code of Conduct

Angry Dior Homme is so suffocating!!

I bot this blind after seeing it had a huge fan following here...but man...the moment i sprayed it...it almost choked me..i had to move my wrist as far as i could to get rid of the 'odour'....it was nauseating...i struggled not to wash my wrists coz i thot it wud settle down...it did settle down a bit after bout 30 minutes (that felt like 3hrs to me) to what appeared to me like a A*men wannabe...but something that couldn't be what it wants to be...I had sampled A*men a few days ago and it turned out really pleasant after a few minutes of applying...IMO Dior Homme smells like a mixture of some elements that don't gel too well...the initial smell is indeed like a 'lipstick'...it feels youve eaten a lipstick....geez...yucks....

but b4 i put it on the block i will give it another wearing...maybe it was the weather today...twas hot....maybe this is a scent for the cooler evenings or nights perhaps....eventually i may start to like it though i seriously doubt that atm...but this one has really made me struggle not to wash it...

well i wudn't know if it is the iris note...but after reading it in one of the threads that it is the iris note....i think Versace Dreamer also has the iris note and i couldnt stand that either...i just have to stay a million miles away from iris

gupts
    Last edited by gupts; 1st November 2006 at 12:39 PM.

Default Re: Dior Homme is so suffocating!!

When I tried it at the store I hated it. Then I bought it on ebay for 15 Euros. though of reselling. Couldn't help myself. Opened it, tried it. Much better. It is somewhat powdery, though quite bearably so (I don't like overly powerdy scents) but it has a pleasant cosiness to it which saome would consider overly feminine. Never going to be a five star for me, but: nice.
    My Wardrobe
    II est de forts parfums pour qui toute matière/Est poreuse. On dirait qu'ils pénètrent le verre.

The first time i tried DiorH i also found it to be too suffocating, and i also used it in the summer...on later dates i found it to be too sweet still on my skin, but then i started to like the scent in itself without using it on my skin. I respect the scent in itself because i think it's very well blended.
    So i now prefer it sprayed in a "walk-in" way and also, not in the summer. Note that i do like to be suffocatted but i'd rather use something spicier for that like OpiumPH.
    The note i like the best of it (DH) is the iris, and the least is the "caramel" feel i get on the drydown.
    Last edited by castorpollux; 1st November 2006 at 04:51 PM.

Thrax

Suffocating? No! I love dis' stuff. Heavy on applications as well. 8(+) sprays

I definitely don't think this is the scent for trying during warm weather, when I first tried it I was sitting near a heating vent and it began to get rather warm, it felt like the Dior Homme fumes closing in from all directions to suffocate me. I had to wash it off immeadiately. But here I am today, wearing Dior Homme and enjoying it.

I don't find it suffocating but you may want to do a 'walkthrough' to begin with. I like this fragrance , I think it's an all season fragrance.
    "A great perfume is a work of art, it can lift our days, haunt our nights and create the milestones of our memories. Fragrance is liquid emotion. And that never goes out of fashion. " MICHAEL EDWARDS

I dont agree with the notion that iris has to smell make-up-ish. Try MPGs far superior Iris Bleu Gris for a fantastic iris fragrance.
    -

To be suffocated by Dior Homme would be an ideal way to die. Go out in real style and smelling good to boot!
    "I exist for myself, and for those to whom my unquenchable thirst for freedom gives everything, but also for everyone, since insofar as I am able to love - I love everyone. Of noble hearts, I am the noblest - and the most generous of those that yearn to give love in return. - I am a human being, I love death and I love life."

Egon Schiele - Self-Potrait

My classics: Dior Homme EdT, YSL Rive Gauche PH, Helmut Lang Cuiron, L'Occitane Neroli (vintage), Davidoff Zino, L'Occitane Eau des Baux

http://www.basenotes.net/wardrobe/2976

Quote Originally Posted by manicboy
    To be suffocated by Dior Homme would be an ideal way to die. Go out in real style and smelling good to boot!
    That's hilarious! Thanks for the laugh.

If DH's so suffocating for so long, how come I keep hearing and reading it has no staying power? What's the real deal?

I don't know how it's even possible to suffocate in DH. It's moderately subtle on me, no matter how much I use. About the same level of strength and sillage as Chanel Pour Monsieur. They're actually pretty similiar feeling (not smelling, feeling) scents IMO.
    Last edited by LiveJazz; 2nd November 2006 at 01:34 AM.
    "It's not what you look like when you're doing what you're doing; it's what you're doing when you're doing what you look like you're doing."

Just when i thought Dior Homme was discontinued forever i found that Neimans is now carrying it. I went there today to return something and to my astonishment, as i was walking through the fragrance area, an SA asked me if i wanted to try the new Dior Homme. I said to her that i thought it was discontinued and she said that, no, Nordstrom had it exclusively for a year and now they have it. I had not planned on buying any fragrance but i bought a full-size bottle of it on the spot. Also, since i bought Dior Homme i found my way over to the Creed counter. The Creed SA said Irwin Creed will be making an appearance in the store this Saturday to sign bottles. I have never been a big fan of Creed but i LOVE Spring Flowers so i "pre bought" a bottle of it. When i go back to Neimans on Saturday i will get to meet Irwin and have him sign my bottle. It sounds like its gonna be fun. They are going to have champagne and finger foods. Any basenoters want to meet me there and hang with Irwin together??????
    Awesomeguy

Dior Homme is so NOT suffocating. What were you comparing it to?
    The iris notes are rounded, warm, and hardly over the edge.

Quote Originally Posted by gupts
    the initial smell is indeed like a 'lipstick'...it feels youve eaten a lipstick....geez...yucks....

maybe it was the weather today...twas hot....maybe this is a scent for the cooler evenings or nights perhaps....

well i wudn't know if it is the iris note...but after reading it in one of the threads that it is the iris note....i think Versace Dreamer also has the iris note and i couldnt stand that either...i just have to stay a million miles away from iris

gupts
    I think your "lipstick" comparison is spot on. And yeah, I think it definitely fares worse in warmer weather. I've tried this a few times, wanting to like it, conceptually there's something very elegant about it. I've had one good reaction to it, and about four bad. It's the same sort of feeling I get from inhaling melting plastic (well, nowhere near that intense, but it makes me feel like I've been poisoned somehow). I too wonder if it's the iris, if that's a note that just doesn't agree with me or if it just doesn't cope well in the Australian climate.

Anyway, my impressions are the same as yours, gupts. I wish I could enjoy it the way others do, because it sounds great.

Quote Originally Posted by gupts
    ..i think Versace Dreamer also has the iris note and i couldnt stand that either...i just have to stay a million miles away from iris gupts
    Not only do I share most of your thoughts on Dior Homme, I also cannot stand The Dreamer! There must be something basically wrong with us All I know, it can't be the iris in my case. I love iris when I smell iris, and not carrots or lipstick instead!
    'Il mondo dei profumi è un universo senza limiti: una fraganza puo rievocare sensazioni, luoghi, persone o ancora condurre in uno spazio di nuove dimensioni emozionali' L. V.

Oh man.....I just got back home right now and a friend and I were walking from the bus exchange to the mall parking lot across the street to his car, and while we were talking I caught the sillage of Dior Homme in the air.

What was really funny was it came...I think at least cuz I wasn't really paying attention to my surroundings(My friend and I were having a heated discussion) from this thug/rapper/gangster teen with his girlfriend. I couldn't believe it, but while my buddy and I were talking, I caught the sillage and suddenly looked up straight and saw them pass us. Hard to believe but . Nice to see these rapper teens loving the Dior Homme, and people said this was too girly.

Maybe it was coming off his girlfriend instead....and I mistaken the Dior Homme for some women's perfume but I'm pretty sure it was DH, I own this stuff and know it by heart, even layered it with MKK recently, kick ass combo.

This is one I want to like soooo bad. However, I too found that the supposed iris note smelled like play-doh, lipstick, or bookbinding glue.

I really want to try it again.

This whole issue about certain stores "exclusively" carrying fragrances is B.S. I know there are a few exceptions, but dior homme has been at "fragrance outlet", a discount fragrance store almost since it's launch. For the S.A. to give you that line about being the only ones carrying it is B.S.
    Lately I've been wearing:
    Windsor, Bois de Santal, Original Santal, Elixir, Douro, Endymion, Reflection, Arcus, Marwah

Count me in as a not-so-big-fan of Dior Homme. I have real big problems with iris notes overall. It has a powdery quality that for some reason I can`t stand.

I can understand people not liking iris. I happen to love it. It's one of my favorite notes other than the two bad boys, patchouli and oakmoss. It's mysterious, strange and sexy as hell in "sex in the head" kind of way. Dior Homme is one of the finest fragrances I own or have ever had the pleasure to experience.

Not to mention, the ladies go bloody insane over this stuff. I have asked many of them whether they think it's feminine (due to all the perceptions as such on this site). The answer is always a resounding "Ohhhh nooo". It's the kind of scent that will get you laid with very few words being said in between.

It's easily one of the best half dozen or so masculine fragrances created in the last few years. I have read descriptions of all sorts regarding Dior Homme. All I can say is that people tend (the majority of the time) to see in fragrances what they see in themselves.

Quote Originally Posted by pluran
    It's easily one of the best half dozen or so masculine fragrances created in the last few years. I have read descriptions of all sorts regarding Dior Homme. All I can say is that people tend (the majority of the time) to see in fragrances what they see in themselves.
    Sometimes the philosophies of analyzing a fragrance go a little too deep. For most of the public, they just want a good smelling fragrance with the notes that they like or which gels well with them. There are lots of other issues in life which might need deep analysis than a bottle of perfume.
    -

Quote Originally Posted by zztopp
    Sometimes the philosophies of analyzing a fragrance go a little too deep. For most of the public, they just want a good smelling fragrance with the notes that they like or which gels well with them. There are lots of other issues in life which might need deep analysis than a bottle of perfume.
    Yeah, I thought it was a bit too freudian, too...

I can understand people not liking iris. I happen to love it. It's one of my favorite notes other than the two bad boys, patchouli and oakmoss. It's mysterious, strange and sexy as hell in "sex in the head" kind of way. Dior Homme is one of the finest fragrances I own or have ever had the pleasure to experience.

Not to mention, the ladies go bloody insane over this stuff. I have asked many of them whether they think it's feminine (due to all the perceptions as such on this site). The answer is always a resounding "Ohhhh nooo". It's the kind of scent that will get you laid with very few words being said in between.

Pluran — I very much agree with you about Oakmoss and Patchoulli — bad boys indeed! You'd love R de Capucci.

But I think there is something to the idea that DH just doesn't go well in the Australian climate (or its climate right now — approaching summer fast). I own it and have tried it on several times and have really never been able to like it too much. I don't strongly dislike it — it just hasn't grabbed me. It felt too light and insubstantial. A bit of a powder-puff.

But late last night I put it on again and in the cool night air it was terrific. I think it may be too romantic for day-time wear (unless you're a rapper of course) and may need a cooler climate to offset it.

best

Eluard

It's clear that you completely misunderstood what I said and if I were to explain it further it may still be misunderstood. It's not something I care to expand on anyway. Most of the public is operating on a relatively subliminal state to begin with. It has nothing to do with Freud or deep analysis. Far from it. The average IQ in this country is approximately 95 (I'm not saying yours is ). For what it's worth, universal law (I don't have time to explaint that) trumps all of the great ideas by Freud, Jung, Nietzsche, Einstein, etc.
    Last edited by pluran; 3rd November 2006 at 02:32 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Eluard
    Pluran — I very much agree with you about Oakmoss and Patchoulli — bad boys indeed! You'd love R de Capucci.

But I think there is something to the idea that DH just doesn't go well in the Australian climate (or its climate right now — approaching summer fast). I own it and have tried it on several times and have really never been able to like it too much. I don't strongly dislike it — it just hasn't grabbed me. It felt too light and insubstantial. A bit of a powder-puff.

But late last night I put it on again and in the cool night air it was terrific. I think it may be too romantic for day-time wear (unless you're a rapper of course) and may need a cooler climate to offset it.

best

Eluard
    Eluard,

I agree it's even better in cooler temps, although it's far more substantial than a powder puff. As far as I'm concerned it's a more substantial scent than the one I'm currently wearing, Trussardi Uomo - another fragrance that is heavily infuenced by iris.

.....It's not something I care to expand on anyway. ... universal law (I don't have time to explaint that)...
    Its that frequent "I dont care to explain.." disposition and reliance on implicit inference that perhaps lead to the ambiguity in the first place. Eitherways, "Dior Homme is so suffocating!!"
    -

Suffocating??? I don't think so, and neither does my DH who loves this fragrances, and much like Thrax:

Quote Originally Posted by Thrax
    Suffocating? No! I love dis' stuff. Heavy on applications as well. 8(+) sprays
    my darling loves to spray it on

You go guys!!!
    "Of the five senses, the sense of smell is incontestably the one that best conveys a sense of immortality."

Salvador Dali

Its that frequent "I dont care to explain.." disposition and reliance on implicit inference that perhaps lead to the ambiguity in the first place. Eitherways, "Dior Homme is so suffocating!!"
    Back to the IQ issue...What I said previously it so simple to understand that it should require no explanation. It's anything but ambiguous.

I will repeat one part of it again...people often perceive in fragrances what they see in themselves. You should be able to figure out what it means at least to some degree. It has nothing to do with deep thought or Freud. It has a lot to with frame of reference, live experience, etc

Regarding this same idea, one has to wonder what the motivation is for so many negative reviews of fragrances these days, for when I dislike a fragrance I usually don't feel the need to write anything about it. Regarding negative reviews, they correlate strongly to the idea I just mentioned about. Repeated negative (thumbs down) reviews (or negativity towards anything) tend to indicate a negative self-image. I like to put energy into things I like. If I don't like it I prefer drown it out unless there is a good reason not to.

Edit: One of the above sentences was supposed to read "Regarding negative reviews, they correlate strongly to the idea I just mentioned (the word about at the end was part of another sentence I had used and deleted). Yes, consistently negative reviews towards fragrances or consistently negativity towards anything else usually indicate a negative self-image. Most of the negativity here serves no real purpose. If fragrances are insignificant (as gupts says in his post below) I guarantee you people wouldn't be on here every day discussing them at length. For many people here, fragrances are their entire life. At least they certainly appear to be. That's definitely not insignificant.
    Last edited by pluran; 6th November 2006 at 01:39 AM.

Yes - Dior Homme has a huge iris wallop. Smells like sticking your nose into compact powder or lipstick. oily and woody and very very weird. i do not find it suffocating at all though. the ethyl maltol laced sweetness which is caramel and all burnt sugar like could too much for people that can't handle it - but it is actually quite alright, really - quite nothing like angel or a-men. i quite like the metallic buzz of iris and dh is practically buzzing with metallic intensity. only one other iris buzzes quite as loudly, and that is Hiris by hermes. so yeah - i can see why the combination of sweet and metallic buzz could get too much for some people, but on me it is not suffocating because of the musk which - on my moisturised skin - makes it lie low and close to skin like most musks do. on dry skin and in hot weather, it could be quite unbearable though, I guess.
    Last edited by paranoidandroid; 3rd November 2006 at 07:30 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Goddess_Dreams
    Suffocating??? I don't think so, and neither does my DH who loves this fragrances, and much like Thrax:

my darling loves to spray it on

You go guys!!!
    I hear you Goddess_Dreams,

This stuff just rocks. I spend a lot of time around beautiful (often younger) women and don't know of one who doesn't go absolutely gaga over it. The stuff wears like a dream on me. It's on par with the best frags I own.

Regarding this same idea, one has to wonder what the motivation is for so many negative reviews of fragrances these days, for when I dislike a fragrance I usually don't feel the need to write anything about it. Regarding negative reviews, they correlate strongly to the idea I just mentioned about. Repeated negative (thumbs down) reviews (or negativity towards anything) tend to indicate a negative self-image. I like to write about things that I like. If I don't like it I drown it out.
    Its just a matter of opinion - for example, take this thread. The author is airing a particular point of view regarding Dior Homme, negative though it might be. Its one way of fostering discussion - I dont think we can induce anything about the authors life style or self-image from this. The author encountered a perfume, didnt like, and decided to discuss it, especially considering the fact that Dior Homme was quite lauded and praised upon. Sometimes it has to do with unreasonably lofty expectations not being met.

Further discussion on iris and Dior Homme (as witnessed by your detailed comments on them) may allow the author to see more detail in Dior Hommes' composition. Or it may not. But as long as the discussion's out there (both negative AND positive), it can help people form their own opinions and adds more diversity to the discussions and reviews.
    Last edited by zztopp; 3rd November 2006 at 08:42 AM.
    -

I will repeat one part of it again...people often perceive in fragrances what they see in themselves. You should be able to figure out what it means at least to some degree. It has nothing to do with deep thought or Freud. It has a lot to with frame of reference, live experience, etc

Ok mang? Regarding this same idea, one has to wonder what the motivation is for so many negative reviews of fragrances these days, for when I dislike a fragrance I usually don't feel the need to write anything about it. Regarding negative reviews, they correlate strongly to the idea I just mentioned about. Repeated negative (thumbs down) reviews (or negativity towards anything) tend to indicate a negative self-image. I like to write about things that I like. If I don't like it I drown it out.
    Well the idea of having this discussion forum is not just to write favourable reviews about a fragrance. The idea is to express yourself and discuss it with other members their perception of a particular fragrance. We all try so many different fragrances and its impossible to fall in love with each one of them.

I think its unfair to establish direct correlation between something as insignificant as negative reviews about perfumes and something as serious as negativity towards everything.

Its simple...if you like it, you like it. If you don't like it, you don't like it.

The creation of a post here just depicts the members curiousity to see if there are other members too who share his/her impression about a particular scent.

Any inference beyond that is a deduction too far stretched.

gupts

Time
    to put
    ............... this thread
    ....To BED

....The Backyard Philosophers Auxiliary Club is alive and well in this discussion I see.........as well as in many others recently..........

.....A genuine relief..................

No. I didn't find DH particularly cloying/heavy.....Just middle of the road, not very remarkable.....Sold it rather quickly.........