Code of Conduct

Thumbs up Is this Woman an Opium Addict?

Today was a day off for me and I puttered a bit at Sephora, sampling some of the scents that you Basenoters have been discussing. I sniffed Hypnotic Poison and knew it right away, for some reason it reminds me of the East Village (?) liked it very much, but not enough to bring it home with me. I also tried Tocca's Touch, and felt somewhat conflicted...it makes me feel like I should be sitting in my study with the fireplace lit, writing letters and reviewing the menu of the day, like the protagonist in Rebecca, but like her, felt like I was not quite up to the task of being Mistress of the Manderly.

But then I crossed paths with Opium and omigod, this scent speaks to me. But it also makes me feel conflicted...am I the kind of woman who can wear this scent in public? It is so sensual, seems to be a boudoir fragrance, and also , in the back of my mind, it reminds me of my Mother...(in honor of that , she is my avatar at the moment) SHE is the kind of woman who would wear Opium. Have I gotten to this point in my life, that I can wear a scent reminiscent of Mom? And also be turned on by it? HOLY COW! WHAT DOES IT ALL MEAN????
    THIS is a scent that makes me think one should be in the boudoir draped in velvet , perhaps wearing high heels, and nothing else.

I really like it.

I wonder, though , if I need to lighten up.
    "Like a lobster with a pearl in its claw, the beet held the jasmine firmly without crushing or obscuring it. Beet lifted jasmine, the way a bullnecked partner lifts a ballerina, and the pair came on stage on citron's fluty cue. As if jasmine were a collection of beautiful paintings, beet hung it in the galleries of the nose, insured it against fire or theft, threw a party to celebrate it. Citron mailed the invitations." Jitterbug Perfume by Tom Robbins p. 189

What I am loving right now: Shalimar vintage extrait, Chanel Bois des Iles, Chanel no. 22, Le Labo Iris 39, Guerlain Iris Ganache

Default Re: Is this Woman an Opium Addict?

Well, you could always "lighten up" with one of the lighter Opiums
    Opium Fleur Imperiale is a very nice take on the original Opium, and so is probably Opium Fleur de Shanghai.

Smile Re: Is this Woman an Opium Addict?

I love Opium, always have. I have met people of all ages who still love it. Then of course, someone will come along behind me and say they hate it, ha. Oh well, but I always keep a bottle and I've heard from the men's forum that they even wear it, the women's opium that is.

My sales assitant, a woman in her late 40s/early 50s(?) wears it every day to work. She puts on way too much and leaves a cloud of it in her wake . I gave her a bottle for her birthday so she wouldn't run out.

"THIS is a scent that makes me think one should be in the boudoir draped in velvet , perhaps wearing high heels, and nothing else."

Your description is 'spot-on' though and makes me have second thoughts about the fragrance !

Dan
    "We are fast approaching the stage of the ultimate inversion: the stage where the government is free to do anything it pleases, while the citizens may act only by permission; which is the stage of the darkest periods of human history, the stage of rule by brute force." Ayn Rand...

"The essence of fascism is to make laws forbidding everything and then enforce them selectively against your enemies."

Daily Wardrobe

Opium is a gorgeous fragrance. The parfum is smooth, rich, sinful, skin hugging and softly spicy. Many other fragrances that aspire to be like her fall short.

I got my bottle in a trade. I was told it was going to be the EdP, but it's the EdT. I like it but don't love it. I firmly believe the parfum is where "it's at." Someday I will have the parfum.
    Scent is such a lovely, simple pleasure!

Quote Originally Posted by Artisankey
    Opium is a gorgeous fragrance. The parfum is smooth, rich, sinful, skin hugging and softly spicy. Many other fragrances that aspire to be like her fall short.

I got my bottle in a trade. I was told it was going to be the EdP, but it's the EdT. I like it but don't love it. I firmly believe the parfum is where "it's at." Someday I will have the parfum.
    Yes, I sampled the parfum, and ended up buying the EdT...EdT is lovely, but the EdP is voluptuous and over the top sensual... I have to go back for her, she is calling to me....
    "Like a lobster with a pearl in its claw, the beet held the jasmine firmly without crushing or obscuring it. Beet lifted jasmine, the way a bullnecked partner lifts a ballerina, and the pair came on stage on citron's fluty cue. As if jasmine were a collection of beautiful paintings, beet hung it in the galleries of the nose, insured it against fire or theft, threw a party to celebrate it. Citron mailed the invitations." Jitterbug Perfume by Tom Robbins p. 189

What I am loving right now: Shalimar vintage extrait, Chanel Bois des Iles, Chanel no. 22, Le Labo Iris 39, Guerlain Iris Ganache

I was going to start a new thread, but this may be applicable here. I like Opium a lot, both male and female. However, the male version did the "bugspray" thing to my wife, so I traded it away. Now we can simply share her bottle.

I made a new friend last week, and we were talking about what frags we like. As it happens, we both like Opium a lot, and she told me a story about it, possibly apocryphal. Apparently a restaurant in New York city had a sign on its door saying "Wearers of Opium perfume not welcome" or something to that effect. This probably violates some civil rights law, I suppose, but knowing the mercurial ways of chefs and restaurant people, not to mention the sheer power of Opium, this doesn't surprise me!

As to its sheer power, yes, one must feel comfortable making a strong statement, and I usually am happy to do that. Maybe a very small dose would have a more subliminal effect.

I even made a jokey suggestion that several of us, male and female, should all wear it to a club and thereby get the whole dancefloor to ourselves.

Quote Originally Posted by Cognoscento

I even made a jokey suggestion that several of us, male and female, should all wear it to a club and thereby get the whole dancefloor to ourselves.
    Count me in, baby!

Quote Originally Posted by rtamara41
    It is so sensual, seems to be a boudoir fragrance, and also , in the back of my mind, it reminds me of my Mother...(in honor of that , she is my avatar at the moment) SHE is the kind of woman who would wear Opium. Have I gotten to this point in my life, that I can wear a scent reminiscent of Mom? And also be turned on by it? HOLY COW! WHAT DOES IT ALL MEAN???
    My dear, think of your love for Opium as an acknowledgement of the best of your mother's character and your irrevocable connection to her.
    I am a man who wears Opium EDT to bed at least 3 times a week.
    Yes, it can definitely be over-applied and doesn't always realize it's full divinity on all skin types. That said, I believe it to be one of the most devinely inspired fragrances I've ever had the pleasure of "olfacting". This fragrance will surely go down as one of the greats of all time. I, myself, would like to get the parfum-extrait(sp) as soon as I run out of the EDT.
    Wear it as a celebration of the very best of your connection to your mother and remember her warmly, florally, exotically, spicefully.
    Above all, remember, your mother never wore Opium!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Eau_Boy
    My dear, think of your love for Opium as an acknowledgement of the best of your mother's character and your irrevocable connection to her.
    I am a man who wears Opium EDT to bed at least 3 times a week.
    Yes, it can definitely be over-applied and doesn't always realize it's full divinity on all skin types. That said, I believe it to be one of the most devinely inspired fragrances I've ever had the pleasure of "olfacting". This fragrance will surely go down as one of the greats of all time. I, myself, would like to get the parfum-extrait(sp) as soon as I run out of the EDT.
    Wear it as a celebration of the very best of your connection to your mother and remember her warmly, florally, exotically, spicefully.
    Above all, remember, your mother never wore Opium!!!
    Well said. Thank you.
    I shall continue to savor this fine fragrance. It is TRULY WONDERFUL.
    And you are right, Mom was into Chantilly.