Code of Conduct

Talking The Good Life's CD Pour Homme Review...

Although I am new, I already respect Good Life's thoughts on fragrances. So when I read his review, I became troubled. Can it really be true that CD PH had the working titles 'Oedipus' and 'Regression' because it was intended as a kind of mummy's boy fragrance? If so...eek!

Any fragrance that was designed with Freudian theories in mind should be treated with caution surely?

J.

Default Re: The Good Life's CD Pour Homme Review...

Don't want to nit-pick, but the scents name is simply "Dior Homme".

Had to read the review here:
    http://www.basenotes.net/reviews/4825

Nice review indeed (though most probably not to be taken too seriously), but the only thing I have to complain about Dior Homme is it's low volume.
    Last edited by fakepurseninja; 1st November 2006 at 09:56 PM.

The Good life writes extremely well for a non-native english speaker. Either that, or hes an American/English/Aussie expatriate in Deutschland
    -

I don't know about those supposed working titles, but I DO know that almost everyone who reviews this one keeps coming back to "lipstick" over and over again in their descriptions of the scent's overall effect. Now THAT sounds pretty darn Norman Bates-ish in MY book. (Well, or at least RuPaul. But then you'd be sans the Oedipal overtones. But I digress.)

I don't know what they all mean by "lipstick," but, that said, I didn't know what they all meant by the "beeswax" note in Body Kouros until I got a bottle and found out firsthand. (And, yes, I still love Body Kouros in spite of -- and perhaps partially because of -- that absurd "beeswax" note.)

Can't wait to try Dior Homme so I can see what all the "lipstick" buzz is about, Mommy Love or no.

Peggy: "Right now, we have to get to the mental institution. Something terrible has happened."
    Latrelle: "What?"
    Peggy: "Brother Boy has tried to kill himself. He jumped out of his bedroom window."
    Latrelle: "Isn't he only on the second floor?"
    Peggy: "Yes, but he hit his head on a lawn gnome."
    Fr. Sordid Lives: The Series
    "Live, live, live! Life is a banquet, and most poor suckers are starving to death."
    Auntie Mame
    [/B]

Quote Originally Posted by zztopp
    The Good life writes extremely well for a non-native english speaker. Either that, or hes an American/English/Aussie expatriate in Deutschland
    I'm split down the middle. Deutsch-American. My dad (Maywood, Illinois) helped liberate Germany from my grand-dad (Cuxhaven, Lower Saxony). Talk about Freud...
    My Wardrobe
    II est de forts parfums pour qui toute matière/Est poreuse. On dirait qu'ils pénètrent le verre.

Quote Originally Posted by James Esq
    Any fragrance that was designed with Freudian theories in mind should be treated with caution surely?

J.
    You need to discuss these anxieties with your therapist

As a historian I will say that my hypothesis re. dior homme is not verifiable by documentation. As a lover of fragrance I'll say it truthfully represents my impressions of it.
    My Wardrobe
    II est de forts parfums pour qui toute matière/Est poreuse. On dirait qu'ils pénètrent le verre.

I see. So it's BS then...

Quote Originally Posted by the_good_life
    ... As a historian I will say that my hypothesis re. dior homme is not verifiable by documentation. As a lover of fragrance I'll say it truthfully represents my impressions of it.
    Thanks for the supplement. I read your review with a smile as it touched on impressions of a loving father during 'maternity leave'. It also hit home with me, as my own first impression of DH had been 'glass jar of baby food' ('Alete', carrots)! I enjoy brain flashes, and as such the bit on Freud/Dior: "I have it on good authority that this was created by Sigmund Freud for the house of Dior in 1935". This was a surprising suggestion from a historian, as the house of Dior didn't exist until about ten years after Freud's death. I believe the master was still busy making ladies' hats, or something, in 1935.
    Quote Originally Posted by he_good_life
    My dad... helped liberate Germany from my grand-dad...
    Huh...
    Last edited by narcus; 2nd November 2006 at 04:53 AM.
    'Il mondo dei profumi è un universo senza limiti: una fraganza puo rievocare sensazioni, luoghi, persone o ancora condurre in uno spazio di nuove dimensioni emozionali' L. V.

Quote Originally Posted by narcus
    I read your review with a smile as it was written during your 'maternity leave'. It also hit home with me, as my own first impression of DH had been 'glass jar of baby food' ('Alete', carrots)! I enjoy brain flashes, and as such the bit on Freud/Dior: "I have it on good authority that this was created by Sigmund Freud for the house of Dior in 1935". This was a surprising suggestion from a historian, as the house of Dior didn't exist until about ten years after Freud's death. I believe the master was still busy making ladies' hats, or something, in 1935.
    Good catch - swiss accuracy at its best
    -

Quote Originally Posted by zztopp
    Good catch - swiss accuracy at its best
    I don't deserve this credit, I am about as Swiss as tgl is German.
    'Il mondo dei profumi è un universo senza limiti: una fraganza puo rievocare sensazioni, luoghi, persone o ancora condurre in uno spazio di nuove dimensioni emozionali' L. V.

Regarding psychology...you often see in others what you see in yourself.

Regarding associations with fragrances...you often see in fragrances what you see in yourself.
    "...The history of perfumery before this subdivision of niche was manufactured, both literally and imaginatively, is a long one, with thousands upon thousands of fragrances. The true fragrance lover takes each fragrance one at a time, and examines it preferably outside of the imaginatively manufactured categories and, in doing so, builds up a steady, informed basis for seasoned comparative judgments based on the sampling and information gathered from such sampling. This is why any one on the board who ever has anything particular interesting to say about fragrances as fragrances rather than as categorical constructs always has an abiding interest and passion for all kinds of fragrances and not just a narrow niche of fragrances. Conversely, the "niche whores," the more and more narrow their interests become, the more and more they mimic the ad copy of the very companies they worship. I know whose posts I like to read..."

“Perfume is decidedly not about two things: it isn’t about memory and it isn’t about sex. Perfume is about beauty and intellect,” .......... “A perfume is a message in a bottle—not a smell—and the message is written by the perfumer and read by the person who smells it.”

Book recommendations:

Perfumes: The A-Z Guide
    The Emperor of Scent
    The Perfect Scent
    Scent and Chemistry

Feeding the Monster: IFRA and the EU Parliament
    www.firstnerve.com/2013/06/feeding-monster-ifra-and-eu-parliament.html

-http://www.firstnerve.com/2013/06/feeding-monster-ifra-and-eu-parliament.html

Quote Originally Posted by narcus
    Thanks for the supplement. I read your review with a smile as it touched on impressions of a loving father during 'maternity leave'. It also hit home with me, as my own first impression of DH had been 'glass jar of baby food' ('Alete', carrots)! I enjoy brain flashes, and as such the bit on Freud/Dior: "I have it on good authority that this was created by Sigmund Freud for the house of Dior in 1935". This was a surprising suggestion from a historian, as the house of Dior didn't exist until about ten years after Freud's death. I believe the master was still busy making ladies' hats, or something, in 1935. Huh...
    See, I left a clue to the fictionality of my proposition .

your confusion: My American dad came to Germany with the occupation & worked at the Nuremberg trials as a translator, my German grandad was Nazi.
    My Wardrobe

Granddad not qualified for Nürnberg, I hope. Might be interesting to exchange a little more about our fathers, grandfathers and the worlds they lived in. Just not here.