Code of Conduct
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Default Re: Holy Grail - Have you got one and what is it?

Quote Originally Posted by cornelia

Question: what is the best rose fragrance? Any suggestions?
    Creed Fleur de The Rose Bulgare -- true, long-lasting, full blown red rose

Pennhaligon's Elisabethan Rose -- true, long-lasting, fresh, dewy, white rose

I'm a big Nahema fan, it's just beautiful, with more development than the two above but very much a rose fragrance.

I do not care for SL's rose, or LV's, or L'Artisan's.

Outside of the niche houses, I'd suggest Givenchy's Very Irresistible (sweet, young, anise-laced rose), Stella Rose Absolute (dark, dusty rose with hints of amber and sharp bergamot) and the Body Shop's Cassis Rose (not long-lasting, but a big blast of sweet blackcurrant followed by a very true and luxuriant tea rose - one of the only rose fragrances that actually works well on my skin).

ive had so many, started with creed REL, then i got it.. then it was serge lutens... then i bought it... versailles pour homme... bought it... caron tabac blond... then i bought it... i think thats the way its gonna be ...

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by cornelia
    [...]Question: what is the best rose fragrance? Any suggestions?
    The 'perfect rose' is always subject to personal preferences, mood and season, I find.

I enjoy several different 'roses' from dewy fresh true 'old english garden', to intense and incensy, to soft and powdery and through to boozy and sweet.

Here are some roses of note that I own or appreciate and recommend you try on your discovery journey of all things rose:

Crabtree & Evelyn Damask Rose - fresh, true rosebud cologne
    Crabtree & Evelyn Rosewater Eau Fraiche - delicious delicate pink rosebud at dawn
    Crabtree & Evelyn Evelyn (Rose) - full blown rose garden - gorgeous!
    Guerlain Nahema - Sophisticated fruity rose
    The Body Shop Cassis Rose oil - feminine fresh fruity tea rose sadly fleeting
    The Body Shop Tea Rose oil - intense longlasting tea rose fresh with a delicious cooling 'edge' of green. Perfect in summer
    The Body Shop Sequin Sparkle oil - a limited Edition rose blend that starts out sharp but softens into a lovely feminine white rose. Quite classic and sophisticated but still young and fresh.
    The Body Shop Ananya oil - this is a cool weather rose dominated floral that is surprisingly sophisticated with a delicious edge of spice.
    Hermes Rouge - rose & myrrh. Starts out sharp and powdery sens to seductive ambery musk. Adult.
    Crown Perfumery Marechale - Amazing fresh Elizabethan style rose
    Crown Perfumery Crown Rose - pure, soliflore homage to the old rose - very British!
    Coty L'Aimant PdT - blended with jasmine, orchid, sandalwood & musk. Classic, powdery with sexy troublesant musk base.
    JC Brosseau Ombre Rose l'Original - similar to Coty L'Aimant but more innocent, more honey and less musk.
    L'Artisan Voleur de Roses - very dark. Deep rose and patchouli with plum. a black rose.
    Yves Rocher Rose Ispahan - This is a very sweet candied rose, fruity with a boozy character which reminds me of rose wine. Similar to JPG Classique EDP.

Judging from your love of SL A La Nuit and Jo Malone Tuberose - I recommend you check out the C&E perfumes, The Body Shop roses and also the Rosines range.

Good luck in your search. Happy Sniffing!
    Last edited by moondeva; 6th November 2006 at 03:00 PM.
    Favourite (Winter) Crazy Combos

Tabu + Orange Blossom * Hermes Rouge + Bellodgia* Voleur du Roses+ Rose Ispahan * Rasa Extreme + Paris * Wood Coffee + Cafe Noir *

Thanks everyone for the answers to my question!!!

To be honest, I owned and tried: Nahema, Cassis rose, L'artisan (yek), Ispahan, Rose absolue by Goutal, La rose de rosine, Evelyn by Crabtree (this was great, till they changed the scent), Comme des garcons series red: rose.

Talking about the holy grail!!! Maybe I just want something that isn't there! Like the Dutch saying: the grass is always greener at the neighbours.

I will try the Penhaligon's (which I tought was very old fashioned like) and Creed.

Greetings.

I change HG's about the time the bottle has run out. Chanel 5, Shalimar, & Opium are one's that I never tire of, but Almond is driving me wild at the moment. I go around now with a cloud of almond around me, Can't seem to get enough of it lately. So anything that is dominated by almond would be my present HG.

My "holy grails" (there is no way they could be embodied in a single scent) are qualities rather than specific fragrances. I would love to find a fragrance with a sort of bakeshop/florist accord (perhaps with a bit of fruit in the background), very evocative of my childhood. I was very excited about a review of Frank LA: "It smells like a flowershop without being floral and like a bakery without being sweet." (http://www.luckyscent.com/shop/detai...ection=2&rv=on) it sounded PERFECT! Unfortunately, on me it was just sort of "meh". I was sooo disappointed

I would also love to find something that evokes vacant city streets at about 3.00 on a rainy winter morning in a major city, something that evokes the contrast of steel, concrete, and asphalt, and exposed flesh, with some faint hint of undefined menace in the backgound. Haven't found that yet either, but am wondering if CS Scent Intense mightn't come close (I'm going by the reviews I've seen i haven't been able to find this in Denmark so far).

And some days I'm in the mood for something silly and fruity, but that is never hard to find.

Smile Re: Holy Grail - Have you got one and what is it?

I am enjoying reading all of the HG stories or the "I tried but, it hasn't happened yet" stories. Thanks for starting this thread Gumoosh.

I have been wearing perfume for a long time now. OK let's just say for five decades to round things off. I am sure that each decade brought what I thought at the time was my HG scent. I can't even remember all of the names of them. That is one of the many fun things the the big "M" will do to a person. Although I think I pretty much have always stayed in the Oriental. Woodsy or Chypre families

I thought that I had found my HG perfume in Angel by Thierry Mugler. My friends regard it as my signature scent. It was the only fragrance when I first started wearing it, that lifted my emotions so delightfully. Although now I only wear the Angel Voile Celeste Celestial Body Lotion because the perfume, EdT, or even Angel Innocent smell too strong to me. Then I thought I found my HG in Gucci Rush. Yet that isn't quite it either. Recently I have found that the scents that I used to like, no longer appeal to me at all. I also am finding that the scents on me, that men used to compliment me on, are no longer getting any comments. I am off in search of my Holy Grail perfume for my next decade. As ever the true romantic that I am, I know that I will find it.

P.S. TDDanae - Have you tried Almond Cookie Body Spray by Carol's Daughter? That one reminds me of a touch of Italian pastry and all things good.

I have to say that right now, my HG is Youth Dew Amber Nude. I love this fragrance start to finish, and I enjoy smelling the different notes in each stage of its development.

No HG here... I am the owner of 19 bottles, and none of them is so outstanding that it will always be perfect.

The more bottles I own, the farer away from a HG I get, it seems like.

When I started with frags as a teen, and for ten years on, I only had one bottle at the time. And this bottle I found a HG. How I loved them! Ma Griffe, Rive Gauche, n:r 5, Trésor, Roma....

Today I have 19 frags. They are all very nice, and good for different situations. But they are turning out to be accesoires... No HG no more...

I am planing to get less bottles, just to come closer to a HG. Most probably I already own my HG.
    Last edited by Margareta; 11th November 2006 at 11:44 AM.
    Faves right now: Chanel No 19, Stella Rose Absolute, L´Heure Bleu, Elixir de Merveilles, Samsara.

Reading this post, I was inspired at how some of you are reminiscing how your HG has changed over time. How true that the scents which appeal to me have changed, motherhood made a huge difference.

As a teen, I remember stealing Mom's Je Revien for special occasions. That scent stands out in memory.

As a young mother, I owned and devoured a bottle of Jessica McClintock, and Tresor, likewise. Now Tresor is too heavy for me. Maybe as a reaction to that, I avoided fragrances other than the essential oils I use in my massage therapy practice.

Then, I went to Paris and all that changed....I found Basenotes...
    Since finding you all, these are my top loves at the moment....

Aimez Moi, En Avion and Parfum Sacre (Tabac Blond is delectable, but needs its "moment" for wearing) add Farnesiana and Opium

If I had to choose one perfume only, I would be hard pressed to choose between the first three Carons I listed.
    Of the three, I think En Avion is perhaps the most complex and non linear as one travels through the day with it. In my mind , this depth is what holds me. Labyrinthic.
    It has a powdery, flower aspect, but also a rough gritty touch to it. It goes all over the place over time. You gotta love that.
    Aimez Moi is most comforting and earthy. It just makes me feel all cozy, huggable and good when I wear it. Though Farnesiana makes me feel like this, too, Aimez Moi has an edge with me because it seems to have more contrasting elements within it and I find this to be delightful. LIke En Avion, it covers more territory. Parfum Sacre I find to be transcendent and elevating. Decidedly feminine and beautiful. Brings me to a higher place. You want to wear a long flowing dress and carry flowers if possible, but not necsessary, because when you wear this , you are wearing a pretty dress already in your mind.

Thanks for listening.
    Last edited by rtamara41; 11th November 2006 at 12:18 PM.
    "Like a lobster with a pearl in its claw, the beet held the jasmine firmly without crushing or obscuring it. Beet lifted jasmine, the way a bullnecked partner lifts a ballerina, and the pair came on stage on citron's fluty cue. As if jasmine were a collection of beautiful paintings, beet hung it in the galleries of the nose, insured it against fire or theft, threw a party to celebrate it. Citron mailed the invitations." Jitterbug Perfume by Tom Robbins p. 189

What I am loving right now: Shalimar vintage extrait, Chanel Bois des Iles, Chanel no. 22, Le Labo Iris 39, Guerlain Iris Ganache

Yes! I had/have an HG!

The Body Shop Rose Musk (discontinued woody-floriental) + 2 parts The Body Shops Vanilla (vintage circa 1990) with The Body Shop White Musk powder (vintage circa 1990) on top. That was my HG for years and years until the fragrances were discontinued and reformulated! I hear Bal A Versailles smells similar to my HG mixture but I've not tried Bal A Versailles yet.

Then I floated in no-man's-land for a while, not wearing any fragrance at all. I flirted with Anais Anais and Lou Lou. I tried TBS Peach and White Musk. Nothing was as good as my HG.

Then I got No. 5 as a gift from a boyfriend. It was love at first whiff (unlike the boyfriend), and while the relationship did not last, my affair with No. 5 continues to this day - particularly in the parfum form. I am pretty sure it's been reformulated though - damn it.

Then I discovered Basenotes and some other fragrance/makeup related websites. I test other things but I can't imagine not having No. 5 around.

I have bought some oils and EOs since I joined Basenotes but nothing blows my socks off the way No. 5 did. I've been using TBS Tea Rose in the summer for the past two years. I guess TBS Tea Rose is okay too. I'm looking for a variety of alternatives to smelling the same all the time.

:-)
    "Voici mon secret. Il est tres simple: on ne voit bien qu'avec le coeur. L'essentiel est invisible pour les yeux."
    - Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Farnesiana parfum is mine.

I´ve always had a "thing" for Fracas, long before I came to own my first bottle.
    Friends of my mother´s used it when I was just a little girl, about 5-8 years old, and I can vividly recall the atmosphere surrounding this hypnotic scent; dim lights, cheerful laughter from women dressed in tight black dresses, sky-high heels, pearls, red lipstick-mouths sipping White Ladies and smoking thin cigarillos.
    I used to hide behind a curtain (mom thought I was asleep, of course), admiring the ladies and just acheing to grow up so that I could be a part of it...
    Now, that I own a bottle, I still love it, it IS my Holy Grail, but I must admit I don´t use it that often...
    Everything passes. Everything changes. Just do what you think you should do.
    --Bob Dylan

Quote Originally Posted by Shycat
    I.
    I bought a bottle. And then another bottle. And then some lotion. And then another bottle, and some more lotion, and a candle. And then some body glow. And then two more bottles at once. Then a gift set for my neighbor. And then, a man I was out with said it was the most seductive thing he'd ever smelled (that's not exactly what he said, but that was the gist of it.) And several of my friends commented how good I smelled, along with a few cashiers, over time. One man in a vestibule said 'I smell rain!' but he walked past me and stopped for a second, looked me straight in the eyes and said "Wow." He wasn't flirting, he was honestly startled, and paused at his car door, and looked back to me. I just know he was considering coming back to ask me what it was.

I could go on.
    This is the scenario I am looking for. I haven't found my Holy Grail yet though.
    However, I would like to find it. I dream of having ... two fragrances, simply and purely, forvever...or at least, for a long time.
    One for warm/every-day and one for cold/evening.

No more fuss, no more restlessness, no more "maybe this one will smell better", no more constant switching and ephemeral relationships with perfumes.
    I love "signatures" and I like women who act like they don't try too hard and they are not into "discovering themselves".
    They simply throw on their their "time-tested" style and perfume (with the necessary fashion-of-the day little updates) and then forget about it and go on living their lives being involved in "others", not in "themselves".

I would love my son to always remember how "mom smelled" and have some warm, timeless, elegant associations.
    I would like to smell like LOVE and SENTIMENT forever.
    Last edited by syracusa; 12th January 2007 at 03:41 PM.

Former Holy Grail scents for me were Mystere de Rochas, Knowing, Paloma Picasso, Coco and D&G red cap.

I still go back to them, but none of them are something I wear every day.

A recent purchase just may be on its way to my list of Holy Grail.....Cabotine. For some reason, it's always wonderful, no matter my mood. It may make the list yet!

Blog Entries

The closest thing to a holy grail scent I've found is Gaultier2. I'm sure this isn't THE ONE...but I'm enjoying it immesely in the meantime.
    "Wait...is David Bowie really God?" - Penelope Garcia

HG? Not right now, but I have had several during my life

As a teen, I loved (and still love) Vol de Nuit. I had read St Exupery's work and when I saw Vol in a department store, i tried it an was smitten. I wore that for dates and occasions but still bought cheaper brands for daily use (Aphrodesia, Aquamarine, Geminesse and Aquarius come to miind)

Throughout graduate school and into my 30s, I loved florals. A mentor of mine wore Oscar parfum in the classroom and I thought that was the most stunning thing ever. Naturally I wore that and considered parfum a hallmark of wisdom and sophistication. I also wore Le de Givenchy and it was Le that I wore on my wedding day. I still have an unopened bottle squirreled away.

While I was a busy mom of school kids I didn't concentrate much on scent. In my forties I went through several bottles of Cabochard, Eau Fraiche, Diorrissimo, Dioressence, and Venezia depending on the season.

Now I am utterly promiscuous with scents. My girls are all adults now and I am adjusting to their independence and trying to find new ways for myself personally, professionally and with fragrance as well. I also looks back at my 50 years and long for discontinued scents that I associate with other arts of my life. If you don't know what looking back longingly means now...you will.

I was always a parfum devotee and specific scents have taken on grail status not only because I love them, but because a whiff and a wearing can
    make me look back with joy with laughter and sometimes with sorrow and make the memories less fragile.

Here's to former grails Vol de Nuit, Oscar and Cabochard! I love you old friends!
    Currently wearing: Bluebell by Penhaligon's

Seems like ages ago since I first read this thread. I threw out my Opium, still like it, but my skin started turning it too spicy. My favorite now is Le Baiser Du Dragon. I have to say favorite for I cannot see myself ever wearing any one scent for too long. I just love too many. Still love, love, love almond and yes scentofu, I have tried Almond Cookie, thank you, and haven't found an almond I don't love. That is a great story about the Kai. Someone sent me some and I was surprised because I have not liked gardenia and Kai was really nice and did not smell so much like gardenia to me.

Quote Originally Posted by TDDanae
    I change HG's about the time the bottle has run out. Chanel 5, Shalimar, & Opium are one's that I never tire of, but Almond is driving me wild at the moment. I go around now with a cloud of almond around me, Can't seem to get enough of it lately. So anything that is dominated by almond would be my present HG.
    I'm loving Almond Blossom by DSH perfumes.

http://www.dshperfumes.com/sale_page.asp

Thank you BlueIsis, will have to give it a try.

I just re read my post and its amazing how things have changed in the time since I wrote this.
    En Avion, Aimez Moi and Parfum Sacre are still at the top of the list, but after so much more sampling, others are nudging up to Holy Grail position.

Aimez Moi will always have a special place with me.
    Tabac Blond has nudged its way to being a fragrance I would not want to be without.
    Right now I am SMITTEN with Eugenie and Carnal Flower.
    I can't help myself.

THese things take time, it seems.
    "Like a lobster with a pearl in its claw, the beet held the jasmine firmly without crushing or obscuring it. Beet lifted jasmine, the way a bullnecked partner lifts a ballerina, and the pair came on stage on citron's fluty cue. As if jasmine were a collection of beautiful paintings, beet hung it in the galleries of the nose, insured it against fire or theft, threw a party to celebrate it. Citron mailed the invitations." Jitterbug Perfume by Tom Robbins p. 189

What I am loving right now: Shalimar vintage extrait, Chanel Bois des Iles, Chanel no. 22, Le Labo Iris 39, Guerlain Iris Ganache

I've come to terms with the fact that my Holy Grail is, as its name suggests, ultimately unattainable... or, in other words, the scent that I most want to try is always my Holy Grail, until I actually try it, at which point my Holy Grail is the fragrance that I want to try NEXT.

Still, if any fragrance currently in my collection fit the bill, it would be Carnal Flower.

Favorite Notes:
    Rose, Apricot, Violet, Leather, Iris, Blackberry, Saffron, Musk, Incense