Code of Conduct

Unhappy What's up with Encre Noire?

Far be it from me to deliver bad news, but my dear buddy, Chuck, from Air Canada, muscled his way bravely through the crowds at Sephora on Champs Elysées today to «wrastle» a sample (thanks Charlie for saving me 69 euros!) of this new offering. Yes, my hopes were through the roof on this one, especially since I was poised to provide a brief overview of its merits and uniqueness to you all. After all, this is Lalique, and someone did point out that it would be dynamite.

Well, if ever Disapointment has been served up on a silver platter, this is it. Those of you who are familiar with KenzoAir need look no further. EN is little more than a slightly more piquant version of Air with very little extra depth, richness, or earthiness to speak of. Vetiver at its weakest. The bottle (from what I have seen) is TDF (to die for), yet the scent is little more than a commercial, tiresome and ultra-timid rendition of so many better past vetiver-based fragrances, and has little or no originality to speak of. Maybe my nose is jaded. Maybe I can't pick out any particularities that merit a purchase. I'm certainly no match for Marlen or Chandler, or Serpent or Pluran's descriptions for that matter.

Whatever the case, suffice it to say, this is another major let-down in a string of major let-downs for 2006.

To my mind, as mediocre as some would say, the mainstream highlights of 2006 have been (in no particular order) Terre, Prada, Double Black, Cerruti 1881 Black, and Antidote.

Correct me if any others make the grade (excluding niche of course).

Mario
    Last edited by mariodefior; 2nd November 2006 at 02:40 AM.

Default Re: What's up with Encre Noire?

Gawddammit.

Twas so looking forward to it.

Thank you. I knew it would be too good to be true that the usual suspects would give us something challenging and worth the hype.

But your sample? Was it the edt or the edp? Please let us knnow and anyone else who has tried it recently.
    Last edited by graffham; 8th November 2006 at 01:20 PM.

Which version did you try the edt or the edp? Has anyone else tried it since it's initial launch?