Code of Conduct

Default SotD Thursday 2 November

One of those magical moments in the life of a perfume addict and bottle collector: 1992. Harrod's Christmas Catalogue arrived and I can still remember how I stared, unbelieving, at the gorgeous crystal Lalique bottle filled with...Lalique Parfum. A pairing of two loves: scent and bottle. I did not hesitate for one moment and a week later Harrods already had sent their precious parcel. A box with a crystal pendant and in it the crystal wonder Marie-Claude Lalique created, filled with a light ambery liquid. The moment I cut the golden cord and inhaled the beautiful scent I will remember forever. A dream come true.
    And now I am enjoying the last drops of this magnificent parfum: 14 years old and still great. Of course Lalique made other, limited editions with this scent, but I never had the nerve of that first meeting: cutting the cord and just enjoying liquid beauty. They discontinued their first parfum and none of the others has evoked that feeling of wonder and amazement of that first time.

Top notes: Gardenia, Blackberry, Mandarin, Orange flower
    Middle notes: Peony, Orangeblossom, Jasmine, Tuberose, Damascene Rose, Magnolia, Ylang-Ylang
    Base notes: Sandalwood, Cedarwood, Oakmoss, Vanilla, Musk, Amber
    Last edited by Riannon; 2nd November 2006 at 05:06 AM.
    The bird of paradise alights only upon the hand that does not grasp

Default Re: SotD Thursday 2 November

22 degrees celsius, sunny and dry...

The temperature is dropping which gives me a good excuse of wearing something strong and heady. I have choosen Gucci Eau de Parfum I. The amber looking liquid reminds me of the single malt whiskey sitting at home. Yummy!

Notes: Vanilla Absolute, Heliotrope, Cistus, Orris, Thyme, Orange Blossom, Cumin, Musk

Cuir
    d'Oranger (Miller Harris)

From a decant via scentemental

orange oil Valencia, pettigrain Paraguay, orange flowers Tunisia

jasmine Egypt, orris absolute

leather, Spanish ciste, oakmoss, patchou
    li

Last edited by pluran; 2nd November 2006 at 07:38 AM.
    "You have to paint things black if you want to make future possibilities more vivid."
    - Michel Foucault

Mat; White - Masakď Matsushďma
    Wishlist is pointless.

Kenzo's Flower

a present from my eldest brother just this year.
    "Where should one use perfume?" a young woman asked. "Wherever one wants to be kissed," I said. - Coco Chanel

Kenzoamour

It's almost freezing here today and there was a ground frost as I woke up this morning. I need something to cheer me up! Santa Maria Novella Eau de
    Cologne (Bergamot).So clean, so fresh, so uplifting...

Paloma Picasso

Cold, sunny and a powdery layer of snow here on the west coast. Very beautiful indeed. Time for sampling again after resting nose for a while: Serge Lutens Daim Blond for the second day (thanks to shifts!) I am liking it.
    Last edited by vinterdroppe; 2nd November 2006 at 08:56 AM.

You're welcome vinterdroppe, I'm glad you like that one (soo hard not to)!

Shiseido - Feminité du Bois for me

I am wearing Oeillet Sauvage after work.

It doesn't exist in the BN database, but I am more than happy to decant.

I just walked my hubby to the door, early day at work for him... and was met with a freezing -4°C, a few clouds in the distance... smell of snow on its way in the air.

Now I'm back in bed for another hour or so with Cashmere Mist on my left wrist and a tiny spray of Black Cashmere on my right. Quite lovely, the way they intermingle and play... Black Cashmere overpowers Cashmere Mist however... Still undecided about my SotD.
    Last edited by Goddess_Dreams; 2nd November 2006 at 10:32 AM.
    "Of the five senses, the sense of smell is incontestably the one that best conveys a sense of immortality."

Salvador Dali

Basenotes Plus

Tom Ford Black Orchid

top notes: black truffle, ylang-ylang, bergamot, black currant
    middle notes: florals, rich fruit accords, lotus wood
    base notes: patchouli, incense, vetiver, vanilla tears, balsam, sandalwood
    "I felt something so intense, I could only express it in a perfume." - Jacques Guerlain

bleu autumn haze

Quote Originally Posted by tdem1961
    Tom Ford Black Orchid

top notes: black truffle, ylang-ylang, bergamot, black currant
    middle notes: florals, rich fruit accords, lotus wood
    base notes: patchouli, incense, vetiver, vanilla tears, balsam, sandalwood
    Terry, what do you think about the Black Orchid? I'm SO curious about this one ...

I'm wearing Gucci Eau de Parfum (the brown juice) today.
    Last edited by shadesofbleu; 2nd November 2006 at 10:55 AM.
    I've trademarked the color bleu

Basenotes Plus

Quote Originally Posted by shadesofbleu
    Terry, what do you think about the Black Orchid? I'm SO curious about this one ...

Shannon, it went on very rich and dark, very little sweetness, if any, coming from the blackcurrant and some florals. There is a mentholated note in there that I'm trying to identify, but can't quite. I am now getting a fair bit of vanilla as it dries down, but it's a decidedly unsweet frag, at least on me. I haven't gotten any incense yet but will wait and see as it develops. So far it's very interesting, a lot going on in there. It definitely warrants a sniff.
    "I felt something so intense, I could only express it in a perfume." - Jacques Guerlain

I'm wearing Ysatis today.

Changed to Oeillet Sauvage by L'Artisan.
    Last edited by MorganFay; 2nd November 2006 at 01:45 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by shadesofbleu
    We are twins, I was wearing this in the morning

BLONDE edp

My SotD is Dior Addict
    Top notes : Mandarin Leaf, Silk Tree Flower
    Middle notes: Queen of the Night, Rose, Jasmine, Orange Blossom
    Base notes: Vanilla, Sandalwood, Tonka Bean

I'm very happy when I wear this

DH is wearing Allure Homme
    Top notes: Mandarin, Lemon, Peach, Bergamot
    Middle notes: Freesia, Geranium, Rose, Jasmine
    Base notes: Benzoin, Tonka, Sandal, Vanilla
    "Of the five senses, the sense of smell is incontestably the one that best conveys a sense of immortality."

Salvador Dali

Bought The One by Dolce& Gabbana today, so that`s what I`m wearing.

Have tried it once, earlier, and liked it then, but why, oh, WHY did I buy it?!?!?

It`s not bad, just.....boooring

(well, well, it`s not the first time, and probably not the last, either )
    Last edited by musse; 2nd November 2006 at 03:01 PM.

Today's test is Let Me Play the Lion. It's fairly nice but I find it fairly similar to Black Cashmere in it's spiciness. I would choose the Donna Karan first, of the two. It is very nice, however; I am enjoying it.

Another day in Dzongkha
    "Wovon man nicht lesen kann, darüber muss man schreiben."

Lean in closer, dear
    Blog Entries

Sampling a variety of fragrances ... like a sailor in a whorehouse who's been at sea for three years.
    In a world where 6 million people are added each month, every landscape matters.

Etro's Patchouly.
    Scent is such a lovely, simple pleasure!

Smile Re: SotD Thursday 2 November

VIP Room for me. :-)

Back to basics! Fleur de The Rose Bulgare, straight up.

Quote Originally Posted by Quarry
    Sampling a variety of fragrances ... like a sailor in a whorehouse who's been at sea for three years.
    OMG :-) I'm glad I'm not the only one who acts that way when they get multiple samples. You'll let us know how it turns out... please?

It's serious winter now and has been for several weeks - snow, ice, cold ozonic air, huge wood fires, snow machines, the time of year when spicy scents are so appreciated, which makes the Scent of the Month appropriate.

I wore Splash Forte coming into town and switched to Musc Ravageur when I got here. I find a definite connection between these two fragrances - MR smells quite similar to Splash Forte with the addition of a good deal more comfy powder. Splash Forte is my favorite warming fragrance for outdoor winter activities.

But my own perfume sampler package was waiting in the mail when I got here, so I probably will be trying several more later on, maybe even joining Quarry in her abandonment. I know I should savor each sample but I tend to want to try them all in one day.
    Edit: I tried a sample of Reve Indien by Fragonard which sounded like a wonderful winter frag, but it's too strong on me, with lots of spicy oriental sillage.
    Last edited by flathorn; 2nd November 2006 at 07:03 PM.

Good evening everyone! This is my very first post as I have just registered, although I have often visited the site for fragrance description.
    I'm wearing Max Mara, I find it lovely and comforting in cold autumn weather as well as classy and elegant. I usually go for light fragrances, so this one feels quite warm to me despite the citrus notes.
    top notes: citrus, ginger, plant sap
    middle notes: lily, magnolia, orchid
    base notes: musk, sugar cane, wood.

Warm welcome to you, Irena!
    I used to wear Max Mara, too. Very nice scent for fall/winter.

Hi Musse, thanks!!

Hi Irena, welcome aboard! This is what I love of Basenotes: many fellow perfume lovers from a variety of countries
    I'm wearing Maria Amalia today!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]Sniffing around
    I'll stop wearing black when they make something darker

Thumbs up Re: SotD Thursday 2 November

Welcome to Irena :wave: - as the Lady in Black says, a variety of cultures is the spice (wood note? chypre? amber?) of our lives. You'll find wonderful fellowshipping here - I know I have in the short time I've been hanging around.:bounce:!

It's still in the mid70' here at the beach in South Carolina so I drenched myself in Figue Amere, with several re-apps since. I just love this frag and may indulge in a bottle. When it's been on for a couple of hours it smells just like the incense my Russian Orthodox ikon instructor burned whilst I was being instructed in that Byzantine "ego-less" art. Recorded Gregorian chants and an urn of fragrant tea, sunlight slanting through stained glass windows in the refectory all were part of the scene - so the scent is really evocative for me. Really figgy, there's some green, a hint of brine frankincense? - and I think even vanilla in there somewhere.

Like I said - am thinking it's bottleworthy.
    "The world is ruled by letting things take their course. It cannot be ruled by interfering." Lao Tze

Sounds lovely and makes me think of another adjective "spongeworthy" (if you remember Elaine)...
    Thanks to all of you for a warm welcome!

This morning it was Tommy Girl.

This afternoon I sampled Sonoma Scent Studio's Sandalwood-Vanilla fragrance.

This evening all I want is a warm bath and my Suave cucumber-aloe lotion. I'm tired.

Romance Silver
    Gary

Had a real cr.ppy day at work, whatever could go wrong did! I was wearing Fendi Fendi, was mad as a hatter and grouchy all day long. Grrrr! Need me some One Man Show, I wear it when I am in this type of mood. Fendi was not bad either.

Oh, this became a Gucci EdP I-day! I also wore that frag today!

This one is really spicy, I can really smell the Thyme! Yet it i fresh! It ended not pure vanilla, instead a gentle fresh vanilla, and I welcome thar much right now!

For the evening I puted on Cristobal. This is supposed to be an oriental-spicey, at least that is what osMoz says. I can´t feel any spices in it at all, and I don´t find any spices when I read the notes. Anybody who knows why this frag is classified this way? It is a real wonderful frag, anyhow! One of my top fives!
    Faves right now: Chanel No 19, Stella Rose Absolute, L´Heure Bleu, Elixir de Merveilles, Samsara.