Code of Conduct

Question What’s that smell, or colognes that smell like things they should not.

I was at work tonight and one of my coworkers was wearing something that smelled I knew but could not place until my first bathroom break when I figured out that his Axe body spray smelled exactly like the urinal cake

So what have you encountered that remind you of something that a person should not be walking around with

Default Re: What’s that smell, or colognes that smell like things they should not.

Hey guys, what starts with a "K" and ends with an "ouros"?

Default Re: What’s that smell, or colognes that smell like things they should not.

Although I like it, Dzing! often has such a strong black rubber accord that I think I smell like the Michelin Man's musk glands.

Peggy: "Right now, we have to get to the mental institution. Something terrible has happened."
    Latrelle: "What?"
    Peggy: "Brother Boy has tried to kill himself. He jumped out of his bedroom window."
    Latrelle: "Isn't he only on the second floor?"
    Peggy: "Yes, but he hit his head on a lawn gnome."
    Fr. Sordid Lives: The Series
    "Live, live, live! Life is a banquet, and most poor suckers are starving to death."
    Auntie Mame
    [/B]

Quote Originally Posted by tvlampboy
    Although I like it, Dzing! often has such a strong black rubber accord that I think I smell like the Michelin Man's musk glands.
    LOL!

As genvy already pointed out, we can't forget Kouros (which I still love) and its famous "overspray equals pee pee" notes.

Peggy: "Right now, we have to get to the mental institution. Something terrible has happened."
    Peggy: "Brother Boy has tried to kill himself. He jumped out of his bedroom window."
    "Live, live, live! Life is a banquet, and most poor suckers are starving to death."
    Auntie Mame
    [/B]

Oh, and can't forget Mitsouko, which (to me and my b.f.) always ends up smelling like some dirty old woman bathed herself in Liquid Smoke.

Auntie Mame
    [/B]

Antaeus is much closer to urine than Kouros. As I wrote in the "What a beauty is Antaeus" thread, for a certain amount of time Antaeus smells like cystitic urine.

Another one might be the make up smell of Dior Homme.

Melted beeswax (which, oddly enough, I like!) in Body Kouros. Freaky, in any case -- albeit eminently workable.
    Last edited by tvlampboy; 3rd November 2006 at 01:22 PM.

Auntie Mame
    [/B]

Quote Originally Posted by fakepurseninja
    Antaeus is much closer to urine than Kouros....
    I sampled Anteus just recently and agree with that.
    My Current Top 5: Terre d'Hermès | Terre de Bois by Miller Harris | Isfarkand by Ormonde Jayne | Brit for Men by Burberry | Grapefruit by Jo Malone

Wardrobe / Reviews

Quote Originally Posted by GenuineImitationLife
    I sampled Anteus just recently and agree with that.
    I tend to agree as well. Antaeus is still beautiful though.

Ok I love both Kouros and Antaeus and neither smells like pee to me. Someone said Bulgari Black smells like condoms, I guess because of that rubbery smell.

Quote Originally Posted by Azsmells
    Someone said Bulgari Black smells like condoms, I guess because of that rubbery smell.
    Oh Mmy god that's so amazingly right! Condoms!!

I wish I took better notes on stuff I've tried the most miguided cologne I have ever sniffed, it seems to me, is the one that smelled like 2nd hand clothes.

how do thrift stores get that weird smell into the clothes, I wonder? is it some kind of disinfectant?

Thank god for this thread, now I know what to try.

I love the smell of live Beeswax.
    I might be going out on a limb here, setting myself up for ridicule, but the truth must see light!:

I think that the smell of urinal cakes is rather pleasant. I have heard Kouros being mentioned as a 'urinal caker'

It is used to mask the odor of urine, which I am not fond of really, and I always thought it was it's own thing. Ah well...Submit Reply.
    Last edited by Brut; 5th November 2006 at 02:54 PM.

Off-Scenter

Talking Re: What’s that smell, or colognes that smell like things they should not.

Amouage Gold - cat pee, with sugar on top.

Timbuktu (on me) - burning plastic.

1. After hearing the analogies, the first time I tried Kouros I couldn't stop laughing for a good minute. They were dead-on. I don't know what bathrooms that the people who like this scent visit, but it smells EXACTLY like a urinal cake to me, with no other notes that redeem it (as if you could after a smell like that).

2. Rive Gauche smells exactly like Barbasol shave cream to me. Not necessarily a bad thing though.

I used to be big fan of Mark Birley, that is until, a coworker walked into the room and loudly asked "what smells like carrots and gasoline"? I had no clue what she was talking about until I smelled it as well, only to realize that it was me. I sold it the next day.

TNMA
    "Why not seize the pleasure at once?"
    -- Jane Austen (Sun, and Mercury in Sagittarius)

Dior Fahrenheit smells awfully close to gasoline spilled out of a mower in a dusty, grassy garden shed. Which I rather enjoy actually. I should get some. I used to go in my family's garden shed just to smell it when I was little, and I liked mowing the lawn
    "It's not what you look like when you're doing what you're doing; it's what you're doing when you're doing what you look like you're doing."

Off-Scenter

Wink Re: What’s that smell, or colognes that smell like things they should not.

Quote Originally Posted by LiveJazz
    Dior Fahrenheit smells awfully close to gasoline spilled out of a mower in a dusty, grassy garden shed. Which I rather enjoy actually. I should get some. I used to go in my family's garden shed just to smell it when I was little, and I liked mowing the lawn
    Thank you! Gasoline - I couldn't put my finger on it, but that's the other element that makes Timbuktu turn my stomach.

Quote Originally Posted by Brut
    Thank god for this thread, now I know what to try.

I love the smell of live Beeswax.
    Since you love beeswax, you have to try Miel de Bois by Serge Lutens. After it dries it smells just like a beeswax candle.
    Last edited by ajmc; 16th February 2007 at 04:15 AM.

Smile Re: What’s that smell, or colognes that smell like things they should not.

Quote Originally Posted by ajmc
    Since you love beeswax, you have to try Meil de Bois by Serge Lutens. After it dries it smells just like a beeswax candle.
    So right, I also love the smell of beeswax. Miel de Bois is heaven on its dry-down. The first hour can comes close to resembling a tigers cage. Ammonia anyone?

Basenotes Institution

Great thread - cardex!

Ok here are mine:

1. Guerilla 1 by Comme de Garcons - the middle note smells like raw meat or, for lack of a better word, like a butcher shop...with flowers
    2. Paco Rabanne Black XS (which I am wearing right now) - Smuckers strawberry jam...right down to the smell of the seeds of the strawberry
    3. Dior Homme - makeup bag, makeup bag, makeup bag
    4. Odeur 53 by Comme de Garcons - copier toner cartridges, I swear.

Kouros smells like cat litter screaming for retirement
    Guerlain Vetiver smells like a Lifebuoy factory just exploded on a golf course
    Davidoff Zino for a small time has that vanilla extract meets a landfill of orange peels
    Mark Birley = lemon pledge

Joop! Homme smells like Toilet Duck toilet bowl cleaner and Robitussin cough syrup mixed together.
    Celebrating 10 years on Basenotes - and smelling better than ever

My mission statement: "I am not afraid to keep on living - I am not afraid to walk this world alone."