Code of Conduct

Default Do you tend to wear scents with certain types of clothing?

What scents do you find yourself wearing when you are dressed a certain way?

Default Re: Do you tend to wear scents with certain types of clothing?

If I wear formal suits, from my collection, I would think of Bvlgari EXTREME. To me it smells classy and formal.
    Current Top 5

1. Creed Aventus
    2. A*Men Pure Malt
    3. L'instant Extreme
    4. Nasomatto Duro
    5. CDG - Kyoto

Black tie almost invariably calls for one of five scents from my wardrobe: Antaeus, Van Cleef & Arpels Pour Homme, JHL, Bulgari Black (curiously, also a fave with jeans and t-shirts, that one) or Musc Ravageur.

Peggy: "Right now, we have to get to the mental institution. Something terrible has happened."
    Latrelle: "What?"
    Peggy: "Brother Boy has tried to kill himself. He jumped out of his bedroom window."
    Latrelle: "Isn't he only on the second floor?"
    Peggy: "Yes, but he hit his head on a lawn gnome."
    Fr. Sordid Lives: The Series
    "Live, live, live! Life is a banquet, and most poor suckers are starving to death."
    Auntie Mame
    [/B]

Formal scents I wear with a suit are Tabarome (old and new, mostly new), Neroli Sauvage, Bois de Portugal, Heritage.
    "Don’t try to be original. Be simple. Be good technically, and if there is something in you, it will come out. ” - Henri Matisse.

"Wear R de Capucci" - Hirch Duckfinder

reviews

When wearing a classic black three-piece suit I like to choose a classic type of fragrance to go with that. Bois du Portugal, Villoresi Sandalo or others, Sandringham, Knize 10 etc. pp. When I wear crazier stuff, like A. Mcqueen, that calls for niches like Costume National, CdG. Casual wear calls for casual fragrance. However many good frags work in different contexts and breaking the rules can be fun, too.
    My Wardrobe
    II est de forts parfums pour qui toute matière/Est poreuse. On dirait qu'ils pénètrent le verre.

Black Tie Event in the Summer, I wear: Creed's Feuille Verte , Bois d Portugal or Soleil de Capri by Montale

Black Tie event in the Winter, I wear: Trussardi Uomo, Lalique pour Homme, or Black Aoud by Montale.

Semi- Formal ( Coat and Tie ) Summer, I wear Christian Dior's Bois D'Argent,
    Givenchy Gentleman, Blue Amber by Montale

Semi-Formal Wintertime- I wear Frederic Malle's Noir Epices, Borneo by Serge Lutens, Dior Homme.

Casual Wear ( Country Club Style ) for daytime- Chanel pour Monsiur, Creed's Himalya, Bulgari pour Homme.

Dressing down ( Jeans and t-shirt ) - I wear just about anything. "Who cares" fragrances like any of my fresh/citrus fragrances.
    "A great perfume is a work of art, it can lift our days, haunt our nights and create the milestones of our memories. Fragrance is liquid emotion. And that never goes out of fashion. " MICHAEL EDWARDS

Not so much a type of clothing but I do tend to link certain scents with colors, for instance I tend to wear Basala with red or black or Colours with blue or white. I tend to stay away from wearing light fragrances like MI with a sweater but I will wear M7 with a short sleeve polo, so I guess it's all pretty complicated.

Really interesting thread, this.

With a suit, I tend to think the lighter, "greener" stuff is more appropriate - so in my case, L'eau d'Issey, Eau d'Hongrie, Acqua di Parma (when I was able to wear that).

However, I don't often follow this idea. My current favorites are Paul
    Smith Extreme, 212, Burberry London, and M7 (in both "regular" and "fresh").

For the 3 times a year I wear a suit, I'm pretty well going to wear whatever fragrance I like. With me, it's much more about the occasion and the weather rather than the clothing.

It seems like there are a lot of "black tie" events going on, judging from other posters in this thread. Who knew?

The (old, long discontinued) Burberry's for Men was the ultimate "tweed-y" fragrance. JHL speaks of tailored suits to me, and Grey Flannel (my love-hate relationship continues) is perfect for sweater weather. Versace's Blue Jeans is (not surprisingly) one of my favorite "blue jeans and sports shirts" kind of fragrances, whereas the (stupidly discontinued!) Black Jeans is a very dry, very formal fragrance (at least to my nose).

M7, H.O.T. Always, and Calvin for Men are so sexy that they seem to require "club clothes" from my wardrobe, and -- although it's usually a formal scent with me -- I might layer on some Musc Ravageur for added, eh, "zing."

Thierry Mugler's A*men? Hmmm . . . I might wear that most evil of juices if I were dressed as serial killer Buffalo Bill in The Silence of the Lambs. ("It will put the lotion into the basket . . .")
    Last edited by tvlampboy; 3rd November 2006 at 07:36 PM.

Peggy: "Right now, we have to get to the mental institution. Something terrible has happened."
    Peggy: "Brother Boy has tried to kill himself. He jumped out of his bedroom window."
    "Live, live, live! Life is a banquet, and most poor suckers are starving to death."
    Auntie Mame
    [/B]

Quote Originally Posted by tvlampboy

Thierry Mugler's A*men? Hmmm . . . I might wear that most evil of juices if I were dressed as serial killer Buffalo Bill in The Silence of the Lambs. ("It will put the lotion into the basket . . .")
    Layering A*Men with a fragrance thats spicy and/or woody/mossy makes it suitable for all occasions !
    -

nearfantastica

I rarely wear anything from Guerlain or Chanel without being at least a little 'dressy'. IMHO, some frags demand certain attire in order to truly dazzle.

a.

That's generally true with me, although I find that Guerlain's Vetiver and Aqua Allegoria Mentafollia can both be surprisingly "casual" scents. Also, Shalimar smells great on me, and I wear it a lot with jeans and sweaters. (It's strictly a "cold weather" scent for me, although I CAN wear the Shalimar Light in the summer and not be bothered by it too much.)

Chanel, on the other hand (IMHO, anyway) makes nothing for men (and precious little for women) that can be construed as a "very casual" scent.
    Last edited by tvlampboy; 3rd November 2006 at 08:04 PM.

Auntie Mame
    [/B]

Cool Re: Do you tend to wear scents with certain types of clothing?

Suits: Egoiste, Dunhill '34

Jeans: Guerlian Vetiver, Le Roy Soleil.

Black Tie: Any of the above (!)

Straitjacket: Quasar, Peau d'Espagne, Nostalgia and half the CDG line

Bathing Trunks: Erolfa.

Cheers,

Mario.
    My Wardrobe

Reviews: http://www.basenotes.net/reviews/30

Absinthe makes the heart grow fonder.

My Antaeus can beat up your Armani.