Code of Conduct
    BN better than ever
    Blog Entries

Default The value of the unexpected

Quote Originally Posted by Quarry
    Sampling a variety of fragrances ... like a sailor in a whorehouse who's been at sea for three years.
    Quote Originally Posted by flathorn
    OMG :-) I'm glad I'm not the only one who acts that way when they get multiple samples. You'll let us know how it turns out... please?
    I've got my fragrance hunting down to a fine science, categorizing all the notes I like/dislike and such. I hadn't added anything to my dozen or so wardrobe favorites for months, but you know you keep ordering and swapping for samples expecting to eventually learn something new about your tastes or what's on the market. Then the unanticipated happens: Shycat conducts a closet-cleaning contest, and I can't resist word play, so she grants me a choice from her study in gardenias (not my favorite note), and voila(!) Dawn Spencer Hurwitz's Nouveau Gardenia shows up under my nose. Not all that attractive by itself, I try layering it with La Chasse aux Papillons, and a formerly four-star frag turns into a five-star experience.

Then there's friendly Musse. She and I play a guilt game (I don't remember who started it), but one of us sends the other something, and the other feels indebted and sends whatever extras she has back (Musse always sends more than I). In her recent box o' plenty, I found two--I SAID TWO!--wardrobe-worthy fragrances I never would have sought out myself in a hundred years. I've shied away from Alfred Sung frags because the two I sampled really turned me off. Well, guess how I feel about Sha? I know someone here recommended it to me when I was whining about not being able to find the ultimate cottony-soft scent (I thank you, oh wise but ignored one). Well, if it isn't just the most triple-milled-bar-of-French-soap representation of lilac and musk, I don't know what is. Then, at the other extreme, Jo Malone's Pomegranate Noir contradicts everything I've believed true for me about a big and spicy scent. It consumed me with its power, but didn't hurt me the way all former spice-containing scents have. I can face this torrent of plum and frankincense, and instead of flinching, I open my senses to take it all in, even though it somewhat reminds of clove (ACK!). How are such things possible?

So, the moral of this diatribe is: The friends you make here can influence your life in the most pleasurable of ways, and while having a scent twin must be lots of fun, my scent-opposite friends have truly broadened by horizons.

BTW, DH hates Pom Noir, so it's another scent I have to sneak off to wear. Shhhh!
    In a world where 6 million people are added each month, every landscape matters.

Default Re: The value of the unexpected

What a wonderful thing--to find a scent alter ego!

Talking Re: The value of the unexpected

MANY thanks for sharing this experience and the happy results - a real plus for a newie like me.:bounce:

Am currently cavorting through dozens of frags I'd never heard of BB (Before Basenotes) and haven't yet found one I hate. Indifferent, maybe but not dismissive. Beginning to feel as though I have no discrimination (A statement which - if viewed by other-world-ly friends would brings hoots of derogatory laughter).

But your methodology is inspiring and I will continue cavorting - and again, many thanks!
    "The world is ruled by letting things take their course. It cannot be ruled by interfering." Lao Tze

Quarry -
    Thanks so much for sharing your fragrance travels and musings. Definitely blog-worthy. I love reading these adventures.
    I now have to try SHA. I'm like you - I blew that one off.
    Pomegranate Noir is in my top 15 right now - I really like the piquant, transparent fruit and sultry smoke combination. Though that might sound far down the list, you haven't seen my list!
    - Kathy -

ROFLMAO!! I tried Pom Noir and thought it was just the most awful thing. I realized it would be great on a man (zing!) and passed it to Andrew B in LA, I think. Q, I think about you all the time! I got Paestum Rose in a decant, and man, it goes sour on me....and I think hey, just like Black Vetiver Cafe, and I save it out for you. Plus, let the guilt party expand, cuz I was compelled to get you a truly tiny Christmas present-hint: Not a perfume, but I got it in a boho shop from a woman who invited me to the Wednesday night belly dance class.

BN better than ever
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Shycat
    guilt party
    Literally minutes ago I unwrapped a parcel and placed next to my mousepad a little non-liquid something to send to you cuz I'm feeling quilty for your gross (as in huge) generosity toward me. It's a vortex from which we can't escape!
    In a world where 6 million people are added each month, every landscape matters.